• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in Early September (on the camino Frances)

Beth-o

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
I've consulted various resources regarding temps and precipitation. 'anyone care to weigh in as far as their personal experience trekking for the month of September?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
September 9, 2012 it rained on me in Leon, Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've consulted various resources regarding temps and precipitation. 'anyone care to weigh in as far as their personal experience trekking for the month of September?

hello beth-o,

i have not walked the cf in srptember. however i was working as a volunteer in sdc from mid-august to end of september and the weather was hot and only started raining closed to the end of september. highest temperatute in the 2nd half of september was 35 degree centigrade.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Potentially the best time of year, in September 2011 there were beautiful cool morning, warm afternoons and zero rain.

My wife and I walked Mid August to Mid September last year. I used my fleece jacket in the morning for about an hour on 4 different days (I am from northeast PA so cold doesn't bother me much), only sprinkled for half an hour on 1 day. Warm in the afternoons. Beautiful time to walk!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife and I walked Mid August to Mid September last year. I used my fleece jacket in the morning for about an hour on 4 different days (I am from northeast PA so cold doesn't bother me much), only sprinkled for half an hour on 1 day. Warm in the afternoons. Beautiful time to walk!!

Thank you! (BTW, I graduated from Shippensburg a long time ago!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can read all stats and posts you want. I chose Sept/Oct last year because they were supposed to be the best. I had six days of almost 35C weather and eleven days of rain! Buen Camino!

You can read all stats and posts you want. I chose Sept/Oct last year because they were supposed to be the best. I had six days of almost 35C weather and eleven days of rain! Buen Camino!

I posted on a similar question here. The records support @indyinmaine's experience. They indicate there were a number of hot days experienced across the north of Spain during September, and 10-12 days where precipitation was recorded. In the case of Santiago, looking at the climate stats publicly available, the maximums experienced would occur infrequently, perhaps less than 10% of the time. That would still indicate that one might expect three hot days (>29 deg C) in September.

Having walked on only one or two hot days in Apr, I can understand how difficult that becomes. Having to do that for five or six days would not be pleasant, even if there were cooler days in between.

Regards,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
September as a rule will be HOT.
It'll be fine walking from, say, 08:00 to 12:00 but after that might become too hot, really, for much exertion / walking.
There's also quite a difference between the start of the month and the end. To my mind, October is perfect. Also May ... which is why I start on the Camino Ingles this May!
Buen camino!

In 2011, I walked the Camino in Sept and Oct. In early September, the weather was warm. By the end of Sept I was wearing fleece in the mornings, at least until the sun rose to take the chill out of the air. I am very sensitive to the cold. My husband, on the other hand, did not bother with the jacket until October, when it got quite chilly. Some days, I wore my rain jacket over my fleece, just to stay warm, but for the most part, I was comfortable with the gear I had. Many of the albergues provided woolen blankets on those extra chilly nights.

I walked September/October 2012. September that year was hot. I had not counted on that, I had packed for cooler weather, I only had 1 tanktop, which was to have been for sleeping only. It became the most used item in September, day and night. I bought a t-shirt on the way, just to have another option. Exception on the Meseta, for some reason it was cold and windy and miserable weather the most part. By October, it was Fall and cooler and I finally was able to wear most of my closing, rather than carry it. My best recommendation is, like as many others before me have made, layers, layers, layers. Don't pack stuff in anticipation of a weather changes, there are always the "lost-donate-found" boxes in albergues and many places to purchase what one needs. Buen Camino

I walked September/October 2012. September that year was hot. I had not counted on that, I had packed for cooler weather, I only had 1 tanktop, which was to have been for sleeping only. It became the most used item in September, day and night. I bought a t-shirt on the way, just to have another option. Exception on the Meseta, for some reason it was cold and windy and miserable weather the most part. By October, it was Fall and cooler and I finally was able to wear most of my closing, rather than carry it. My best recommendation is, like as many others before me have made, layers, layers, layers. Don't pack stuff in anticipation of a weather changes, there are always the "lost-donate-found" boxes in albergues and many places to purchase what one needs. Buen Camino
All bets are off when you're on the meseta! We bucked 50 km/hr winds for two days.

I started my walk from St. Jean in Sept. 13, 2013. I had a few hot days and a total of 5 days of rain. Most of the days were wonderful. A friend who started Sept 2 has a lot more hot days. But as I am sure you have heard all years are different.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my walk from St. Jean in Sept. 13, 2013. I had a few hot days and a total of 5 days of rain. Most of the days were wonderful. A friend who started Sept 2 has a lot more hot days. But as I am sure you have heard all years are different.
Thanks bunches...

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back