• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in July/August: can someone verify this?

Dringwa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
First post and first camino coming up in a few months. Question about weather:
I'll be doing the Camino Frances in July/August. I found a lot of good advice on weather, but I'm very much a data person. I boiled down the data from this site (link) and this is what I got data-wise. Can anyone verify if this is true? The humidity in particular I'm confused about, (is it really THAT humid?) and I'm not sure how they're measuring precipitation.

Between Pamplona and Santiago:
  • Highs range from 29-24 C (75-85 F)
  • Lows range from 15.5-11 C (52-60 F)
  • Range of Humidity: 55-74% (is this anywhere near correct?)
  • Average precipitation 23-57 (no units given, any thoughts?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did the Camino Frances last mid July-mid August. I did not keep track of the daily weather averages or the humidity. All that I can tell you is that it never rained on me while walking. It did rain maybe 2-3 times at night while I was in the albergue. I never found it to be humid at all (I was raised in south Louisiana). I never found it to be very warm at all either. Definitely warm enough to make sure to hydrate yourself well, but not terribly hot. A few mornings and a few evenings were cool, but not cold. Cool enough to wear a fleece jacket at the most, and even then you would be taking it off by 10:00 am if you put one on in the morning.
I wore a pair of shorts and a t-shirt everyday while walking the Camino. You definitely need a good hat to block the sun while walking and sunscreen.

Thanks!!! For your comments on youe weather while you did the camino!
Me too will ne walking in July.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dringwa, I'm not sure that your aggregation of data actually provides you with a helpful summary though I'm a data-cruncher (auditor) by profession. Climates vary considerably along the Camino routes - the climate of, say, the Meseta is very different to that of Galicia (and climate isn't much of an indicator of tomorrows weather as I'm sure you are aware :)). You are unlikely to encounter much rain along most of the Camino in July / August, except in Galicia and on some of the "mountain" stages. Nevertheless a good soaking in a localised thunderstorm is always a possibility.

I suspect the unit of precipitation is millimetres and yes the humidity range looks correct given the variances in location, terrain and climate. My hygrometer is currently showing 79% on a showery, windy evening on the south coast of England. Yesterday it was showing 85% on a dry, sunny afternoon.

Buen Camino

I'll be doing the Camino Frances in July/August. I found a lot of good advice on weather, but I'm very much a data person. I boiled down the data from this site (link) and this is what I got data-wise. Can anyone verify if this is true? The humidity in particular I'm confused about, (is it really THAT humid?) and I'm not sure how they're measuring precipitation.

There is a HUGE difference between Pamplona and Santiago weather-wise. Pamolona is in the region of Navarra, and south of Pamplona is very hot and dry in the summer (think +35 C). It gets worse as you cross the region of La Rioja and all of Castilla y León (think +35 C or even + 40 C). Very dry (wet clothes will dry in 20 minutes or less) and gets cooler in the evening. Then you come to the region of Galicia (where Santiago is) and it turns green and gets significantly cooler and more humid, you will probably be in the +25 C range here in the day time with the odd +30 C day.

So, all of the Camino across Spain (between Pamplona and the border of Galicia): dry, very (very) hot and sunny (rain is not an issue). nights should cool down and be comfortable. As for Galicia, humidity can hot 50-70%, depending where on the Camino and will probably range from warm to very warm. nights can get chilly (15 C). It doesn't rain that much to be a problem, even in the summer.

Buen Camino

I walked the Frances in 2012 in July and August and found, to my pleasant surprise, that the heat did not get to me as I had feared it would. That is because it was so dry. I had the impression that I never sweated, and clothes on the line dried really quickly. Buen Camino. Clara Birnbaum

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I did the Camino I really did not notice that much of a difference in the weather starting in St. Jean all the way to Santiago. Except for a few minor differences in temperature and humidity, it was pretty much the same the whole way through. Like I have said before on this thread, I wore a pair of shorts and a t-shirt everyday from start to finish.

I did the Camino Frances last mid July-mid August. I did not keep track of the daily weather averages or the humidity. All that I can tell you is that it never rained on me while walking. It did rain maybe 2-3 times at night while I was in the albergue. I never found it to be humid at all (I was raised in south Louisiana). I never found it to be very warm at all either. Definitely warm enough to make sure to hydrate yourself well, but not terribly hot. A few mornings and a few evenings were cool, but not cold. Cool enough to wear a fleece jacket at the most, and even then you would be taking it off by 10:00 am if you put one on in the morning.
I wore a pair of shorts and a t-shirt everyday while walking the Camino. You definitely need a good hat to block the sun while walking and sunscreen.
Great to hear as I start on 9 July and end 11 August this year. As I live in Thailand, I am used to the heat and humidity, so no problem!

Great to hear as I start on 9 July and end 11 August this year. As I live in Thailand, I am used to the heat and humidity, so no problem!

I spent a lot of time in Thailand, the Philippines and in Cambodia and believe me the weather in Spain is nowhere near the same level of heat and humidity and doesn't have those massive rainfalls like you get in southern Thailand during the rainy months. Way drier and way cooler. You will love it.
Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My three sons and I are also doing our first Camino starting first of July. Being a yank, not as familiar with metric, I am reading highs between 90 and 95 F, is that correct?

Buen Camino
Bill

My three sons and I are also doing our first Camino starting first of July. Being a yank, not as familiar with metric, I am reading highs between 90 and 95 F, is that correct?

Buen Camino
Bill

It may have been that hot in July, but didn't feel like it.
You can go to the weather underground website (www.wunderground.com) and they have charts showing the weather from last July and August in Spain in different cities. Recorded highs and lows, rainfall amounts, etc for each day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow thanks for that info Mark. Thats great to hear, I'm looking at going this coming summer at eth same time. Was it extremely busy too?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.