• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in July, Camino Portugues

Eileen Mary

My husband and I are thinking of walking the Camino Portugues next July, taking 8 or 9 days to complete it. We are both early risers, so we would probably start walking early in the morning, hoping to do around 30 km a day. Has anyone walked the CP in July? How hot and humid will it be? (We are used to fairly hot and humid weather since we live in Massachusetts.) Is what we are thinking of doing indeed "do-able"? We would try to walk in the early morning until around noon or so each day. Due to our work schedules, July is the only month we can do the Camino. Thanks...this is my first time posting anything on the Forum. I appreciate so much all of the useful information I have gathered from this site!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello welcome to the Forum :)

Weather in July in Portugal, it's the tipical summer weather in here: hot and dry. You could have some lower temperatures in the Nortern part of Portugal/Spain, but it will still be hot. If you say that you are early risers, I don't think that you will have any kind of problem doing the Caminho in July. Just make sure that you buy breakfast when you buy dinner :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello welcome to the Forum :)

Weather in July in Portugal, it's the tipical summer weather in here: hot and dry. You could have some lower temperatures in the Nortern part of Portugal/Spain, but it will still be hot. If you say that you are early risers, I don't think that you will have any kind of problem doing the Caminho in July. Just make sure that you buy breakfast when you buy dinner :p

Best Regards
Diogo
Thank you, Diogo. Another question that maybe you or someone else can answer...do you think we will have trouble finding places to stay along the way? We would like to stay in small hotels for the most part since we want to make sure to get a good night's sleep, especially since we will be getting up early every morning. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do not think that you will find any problems regarding places to stay.

Here you can check out a list of places to stay alongside the Caminho: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

You can also search in Booking.com and other travel sites for hotels and similars.

Best Regards
Diogo

I do not think that you will find any problems regarding places to stay.

Here you can check out a list of places to stay alongside the Caminho: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

You can also search in Booking.com and other travel sites for hotels and similars.

Best Regards
Diogo
Thank you, Diogo. Another question, I hope I am not pestering you- do you have any idea how crowded the albergues between Porto and Santiago would be in July? If we don't stay in albergues, will we still meet people (fellow pilgrims) along the way? I am shying away from the albergues because I am such a light sleeper. :)

My husband and I are thinking of walking the Camino Portugues next July, taking 8 or 9 days to complete it. We are both early risers, so we would probably start walking early in the morning, hoping to do around 30 km a day. Has anyone walked the CP in July? How hot and humid will it be? (We are used to fairly hot and humid weather since we live in Massachusetts.) Is what we are thinking of doing indeed "do-able"? We would try to walk in the early morning until around noon or so each day. Due to our work schedules, July is the only month we can do the Camino. Thanks...this is my first time posting anything on the Forum. I appreciate so much all of the useful information I have gathered from this site!
Eileen there are a lot of residentials, hostals and small hotels along the trail between Porto and Santiago.
Depending how many kms a day you'll walk ,you'll find enough places to sleep.

Allways make a stop at Casa Fernanda for the night in Vittorino de Piaes between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. The best caminho experience we had staying there .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Albertinho told you everything!

Best Regards
Diogo

yes, Albertinho covered it ... Casa Fernanda is an experience you will treasure. Booking.com is great and consistently gave me good options in the 25-40 euro range for a double with private bath & usually breakfast too. I recommend o'Cruceiro in Caldas de Reis -- private rooms and also a hostel with 4-bed dorms, nice and very affordable. The bar/Restaurant downstairs is lively, and there is a fabulous supermarket right across the street. Have a great time ... we did the inland route in May 2012 and this October the coastal route.

yes, Albertinho covered it ... Casa Fernanda is an experience you will treasure. Booking.com is great and consistently gave me good options in the 25-40 euro range for a double with private bath & usually breakfast too. I recommend o'Cruceiro in Caldas de Reis -- private rooms and also a hostel with 4-bed dorms, nice and very affordable. The bar/Restaurant downstairs is lively, and there is a fabulous supermarket right across the street. Have a great time ... we did the inland route in May 2012 and this October the coastal route.
Even we slept in a room with a double bed in Cruceiro in Caldas de Reis ,as being part of their private albergue. Excelent service and not expensive! Very kind people owning this hotel/albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much for the information! I pulled the trigger (so to speak) and booked our plane flight to Porto on July 9. How does the inland route compare with the coastal route? Any thoughts? Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you so much for the information! I pulled the trigger (so to speak) and booked our plane flight to Porto on July 9. How does the inland route compare with the coastal route? Any thoughts? Thank you so much for your help.
I walked that inland route [Porto to SdC] in 2012. It's beautiful. You can check out links to my photo's and also my Diary of my web site.
I envy you, Eileen Mary!
Buen camino!

Thank you so much, Stephen. I started reading your diary of pilgrimage #1...hope to finish it this weekend. (I need to rip myself away from it to go to work soon this morning!) It is just what I need to help me "visualize" the route and things/people I will encounter along the way. Already looking forward to next summer! Thanks again. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

We did the CP last July. The weather is hot, but we did not find it unbearable. There are plenty of places to get water.
We began in Porto and had 10 days of walking, with a day off in Vigo about halfway. I'd recommend the Brierley guide book, which has plenty of small hotels listed. I would say 30 km per day is a stretch, especially after the first few days. The guide book will give you the traditional stopping points each day, which are basically little towns on average about 15 miles apart. There are few places to stay in between, so it may be best to stick to the guidebook.
We took the alternate starting route from Porto - it begins on the outskirts of town and follows the beach for much of the first day - beautiful. It then meets up with the the main route by day 3 I believe. We were late risers, and we didn't stay in any albergues, so we saw few other pilgrims. Remember that the Feast Day of St. James is July 25, and Santiago will be very crowded that day. There are a number of "off track" sites to see, which the guide will tell you about, though we did not see any of them - too much for our feet...
The CP was my first Camino, and I loved it. A great variety of landscapes - beach, farms, little cities and villages, rivers, big hills, etc. I hope you enjoy it.
Buen Camino...

I'm starting the CP on 2 June. This is great information, thank you.

See my other post in this thread. I took the coastal route beginning outside of Porto and thought it was great.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't forget you're doing this for PLEASURE. So if you need to take a bus [there are plenty] to your next destination, go for it!
Happy Christmas to both my readers ... ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back