• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in March and April along Via de la Plata

Pilgrim1960

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid/Frances 2021
VdlP 2023
Greetings from Canada!
I am planning on starting the Via de la Plata in the first few days of March. I have noted some posts about the weather at that time but I am trying to invite more responses. I am wondering about your experience along the Camino at that time of year. If you can share your thoughts and perhaps tales of woe, it would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Mark

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pretty much the same time I walked the VdlP from Seville. Beautiful time to walk - cold, even frosty mornings (gloves needed) and sunny warm afternoons. I only experienced rain off and on from Merida to Cáceres - where it hosed down with thunder and lightning. Then intermittent rain in Galicia, but softer misty rain there. Waterproof pack (built in drybags), trekking umbrella and walking in shorts proved effective in the rain. I did need to dry my shoes overnight - stuffing with newspaper worked a treat.

I started late March. It was already quite warm - high 20s - near Sevilla. But further north and higher up the leaves were just coming out and it was cool. There was a lot of flooding that year but we didn’t actually walk much in the rain. By the time we got to Galicia it warm again. Around 30 degrees the last couple of days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gerald,
First and foremost, Thank You for everything You do for so many. Your efforts are truly appreciated.

I'm planning on stepping out of Seville just after Easter. Either Saturday or Sunday. Opinion? As an 8 time Camino junkie I've had the opportunity to experience the enthusiasm that is Selma Santa, so I don't hear the call to enjoy the madness this time.

I'm not concerned about the weather. In 2013 I walked 13 days straight in 24 hr biblical rain from Lisbon. In 2017 I went back to Portugal and enjoyed 104+ degree temps for weeks on end. (at one point I was only 25km from the tragic fires)

After sitting out 2020, 21, & 22, (real life demands and Covid) I'm looking forward to reinvigorating my belief in the kind spirit of the human species which the Camino paths provide.

My question, based on my timing, and your experience, I'm wondering if carrying an ultrallight - 1 person bivy tent would be helpful. I prefer to not book ahead, as I never know when a place might speak to me resulting in my desire to stay longer. I'm confident I can find an appropriate location to bed down for the night, without disturbing man or nature, if necessary.

Last edited:
My question, based on my timing, and your experience, I'm wondering if carrying an ultrallight - 1 person bivy tent would be helpful.
If you want to sleep out then by all means carry a tent. I have never carried a tent on any Camino anywhere and I have never regretted not carrying one. I've only slept outside once and that was by choice.

That said, leaving Seville at Easter it's likely to be pretty busy. How you deal with that is up to you. Personally I would try to avoid busy times.

I see you've walked a few Caminos already so you know the score as regards accommodation.

Also, a proviso, Easter 2023 is about 6 months away and anything can happen between now and then.

I hope that's helpful. Although I suspect it isn't.

If you want to sleep out then by all means carry a tent. I have never carried a tent on any Camino anywhere and I have never regretted not carrying one. I've only slept outside once and that was by choice.

That said, leaving Seville at Easter it's likely to be pretty busy. How you deal with that is up to you. Personally I would try to avoid busy times.

I see you've walked a few Caminos already so you know the score as regards accommodation.

Also, a proviso, Easter 2023 is about 6 months away and anything can happen between now and then.

No. your experience based input is always valuable.

Thank you sir.

Per usual, I'll be carrying your Guide, along with using the Wise Pilgrim App for mapping when I wander off coarse; discovering new places. ;)

Not really concerned about anything. Like you, I've never "had" to sleep outside. Have ALWAYS found the support of the local communities to be truly inspiring. THAT is the joy of the Camino paths. Open Hearts & Minds. Each journey strengthens my belief in the fact that there are more good people riding this rock we all inhabit together, than the negative, noisy, ones we hear all too often.

Personally, I've always found I could slow down, or speed up, my pace when Ive become part of a "human wave". Not to mention my ability to think outside the box as it relates to finding a place to lay my head.
(read, fire stations, back rooms in commercial establishments, etc. Not to mention churches, gyms / sports facilities, etc.)

Your comment regarding "busy" times, really helped me calm my mind, stop over thinking things, and recenter myself. I figure stepping out of Seville the Sunday, a week AFTER Easter Sunday will allow me to be a few days behind a bit of the holiday wave; while still providing a bit of a buffer before the REALLY high heat sets in. Though none of us can control the weather, we can accept it, prepare appropriately, and use common sense.

Might still bring my bivy tent, for no other reason than to support the opportunity to sleep under the stars a few times. And snore to my heart's content. haha. Will have to see how my aging bones handle the extra 1.5 lbs during training strolls.

Thanks again for all you do for so many.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No. your experience based input is always valuable.

Thank you sir.

Per usual, I'll be carrying your Guide, along with using the Wise Pilgrim App for mapping when I wander off coarse; discovering new places. ;)

Not really concerned about anything. Like you, I've never "had" to sleep outside. Have ALWAYS found the support of the local communities to be truly inspiring. THAT is the joy of the Camino paths. Open Hearts & Minds. Each journey strengthens my belief in the fact that there are more good people riding this rock we all inhabit together, than the negative, noisy, ones we hear all too often.

Personally, I've always found I could slow down, or speed up, my pace when Ive become part of a "human wave". Not to mention my ability to think outside the box as it relates to finding a place to lay my head.
(read, fire stations, back rooms in commercial establishments, etc. Not to mention churches, gyms / sports facilities, etc.)

Your comment regarding "busy" times, really helped me calm my mind, stop over thinking things, and recenter myself. I figure stepping out of Seville the Sunday, a week AFTER Easter Sunday will allow me to be a few days behind a bit of the holiday wave; while still providing a bit of a buffer before the REALLY high heat sets in. Though none of us can control the weather, we can accept it, prepare appropriately, and use common sense.

Might still bring my bivy tent, for no other reason than to support the opportunity to sleep under the stars a few times. And snore to my heart's content. haha. Will have to see how my aging bones handle the extra 1.5 lbs during training strolls.

Thanks again for all you do for so many.
It sounds like a good plan! Buen Camino!

If you are intending to use the Sanabres to get you into Santiago then be prepared for a little of everything at that time of year. I've walked that part twice at that time of year and experienced all four seasons.

Hi Gerald
I plan to resume the VDLP from Zamora in late March or early April 2023
I can't find electronic copies of your books from some time back however have a print copy I bought from you in Dublin around 2017.
Can you please tell me where I can the latest and if the accomodation details will be updated early in 2023.
Best regards
Mark O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Gerald
I plan to resume the VDLP from Zamora in late March or early April 2023
I can't find electronic copies of your books from some time back however have a print copy I bought from you in Dublin around 2017.
Can you please tell me where I can the latest and if the accomodation details will be updated early in 2023.
Best regards
Mark O
Hi Mark, send me an email to caminoguidecontact@gmail.com and I'll send you the 2023 edition in PDF format (just published a few days ago).

So I search on VDLP March and it’s takes me right here! Anyway also hoping to start 01 March ish though after starting the Frances, Portuguese and Norte at a few days notice, the VDLP has been the tricky one for me and plans have been shelved a few times!!! Anyway clearly the weather won’t be perfect but looks ok and assuming I can find enough accommodation on the way. Maybe some very long days though I am ok with that though painfully slow! Time to get searching.

As always a huge thank you to those who go ‘above and beyond’ to help and support relative amateurs such as I!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pretty much the same time I walked the VdlP from Seville. Beautiful time to walk - cold, even frosty mornings (gloves needed) and sunny warm afternoons. I only experienced rain off and on from Merida to Cáceres - where it hosed down with thunder and lightning. Then intermittent rain in Galicia, but softer misty rain there. Waterproof pack (built in drybags), trekking umbrella and walking in shorts proved effective in the rain. I did need to dry my shoes overnight - stuffing with newspaper worked a treat.

Hey Rain - I did! Best decision I made. I used the hiking umbrella in very heavy rain on several days. It was spring! No poncho or waterproof. I’m going to use the same system again on my next Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey Rain - I did! Best decision I made. I used the hiking umbrella in very heavy rain on several days. It was spring! No poncho or waterproof. I’m going to use the same system again on my next Camino.
Thanks for that.
Also, do you think a sleeping bag is necessary? I have a Thermalite sac and a silk sheet.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back