• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in March

Bazzaboy

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2019 Frances
I intend starting Camino Frances on March 13th 2019 from Saint Jean Pied de Port - what will the weather be like and will I have problems with Accommodation?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many places do not open until April or Easter week, whichever comes first. You will be relegated to the larger towns and cities; in-between places will be closed. Call ahead because few places stay open just waiting for the lone pilgrim.

Check any internet weather site with historical information. March 2019 will be exactly like every March, but on different days. Remember that the route covers nearly 500 miles, so checking a single city for history won't help guessing the entire route!:)

I intend starting Camino Frances on March 13th 2019 from Saint Jean Pied de Port - what will the weather be like and will I have problems with Accommodation?

Bazzaboy:

No one can tell you year to year what the weather will be like. You can look at historical data but your experience might be totally different. Over the entire 800 kilometers you will encounter weather from the low 20's to the mid 80's or -7c to 30c.

I started from SJPdP twice on March 23rd and once on April 11th. I never had any problem finding accommodation.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bazzaboy:

No one can tell you year to year what the weather will be like. You can look at historical data but your experience might be totally different. Over the entire 800 kilometers you will encounter weather from the low 20's to the mid 80's or -7c to 30c.

I started from SJPdP twice on March 23rd and once on April 11th. I never had any problem finding accommodation.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks Joe, sounds like it could be cold but I was more concerned about Accommodation which in your experience wasn’t a problem. Did you book ahead?👍

Thanks Joe, sounds like it could be cold but I was more concerned about Accommodation which in your experience wasn’t a problem. Did you book ahead?👍
Bazzaboy:
I have never booked ahead on any of my Camino's. I have started them all between March 23rd and April 11th. You should not have any trouble with accomodation starting as early as you plan too.

The Val Carlos route, imo, is better than the Napoleon route. Prior to ValCarlos (approx. 11km's) there is a strip of stores to purchase anything you might need. After ValCarlos there is a combination of rural roadside and off road walking.

You will also finish prior to Easter week, which adds to congestion.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bazzaboy, I will be one day in front of you...starting out fro SJPdP on the 12th March... probably see you at some point,
Regards,
Chris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi :) I guess that we’ll meet then at a certain point since my friend and I are starting the same day from SJPdP. We are also very curious about the weather, so any tips are highly appreciated!

Looking at starting March 1, so tips are greatly appreciated, here as well. Thanks!

I'm starting from Pamplona around the 6th of March for three weeks on the Camino. Having previously walked in January a few years ago I'm not too anxious about accommodation - there was always a bed to be found. (There is a very good resource somewhere on the forum that gives a link to a regularly updated list of open/closed albergues - I'll try to find this). The weather? Who knows. I'll have layers for heat, and good waterproofs and whatever comes, comes. It will be great!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I'm starting at Pamplona on 7th March 2019 so have been following comments about weather and accommodation. See some of you there! :)

Hello, I too am beginning my walk in March (March 5th from Saint Jean Pied de Port). Looking forward to seeing you all along the way. Safe travels and Buen Camino!

Andy

hi Bazzaboy
I’m also starting in SJPdP on March 13 on my way to Finisterre. See you on the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The weather is anyone's guess.
You could have a sunny cold day, or you could have 9 feet of snow!
My best advice is to prepare well, layer your clothing, and PAY ATTENTION to what the Pilgrim Office tells you. If they say do not walk, do not walk! If they say to take the alternate route, take the alternate route.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.