• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in May/June

traveling goddess

Time of past OR future Camino
Will be walking El Camino in May and first two weeks of June 2014
We will be wlaking El Camino in May and first 10 days of June 2014. what type of weather should I expect?
Anyone plaining to wlak during this time?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In general terms you can count on practically everything ;-) Rain is (especially in Galicia) almost a certainty, warm to hot weather in most parts of the way also, but it can be still chilly at night in the mountains.
Buen Camino! SY
We will be wlaking El Camino in May and first 10 days of June 2014. what type of weather should I expect?

Yes I will be there during May & Jun 14. I am from Ontario, Canada! This will be my big retirement gift after almost 40 years as an Air Force Officer!! Looking forward to such an exciting and unique experience. Bring it on!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes I will be there during May & Jun 14. I am from Ontario, Canada! This will be my big retirement gift after almost 40 years as an Air Force Officer!! Looking forward to such an exciting and unique experience. Bring it on!!
Air Force here also!!!!

Hi Lousie. Congratulations and thank you for your 40 years of service. I will be med release from CAF in 2014 after 27 years in the Navy. I am planning for a Camino in May/Jun or mid Sep-mid Nov, either before or after release. Barcelona to Santiago and onto Muxia. In addition to a personal pilgrimage I will also be doing it for OSI/military PTSD awareness. Bon Camino

Pack for the climate, dress for the weather! Try one of the climate sites like www.climatemps.info. The link for Burgos is here, but its not clear which route you are taking, so you might need to search for places on the route you are planning to take.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hello travelling goddess,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I am assuming you will be walking the northern camino routes. Weather this past spring has been quite wet due to a late winter. In general weather in northern part of spain will be unpredictable. So layer your clothing. It is always safe to have a base layer of t-shirt, a second layer of merino, a third layer of lightweight fleece. You can always take them off when it gets too warm or hot. Also bring a lightweigh poncho.

Good luck on your planning and buen camino.

Hi, i Will also start in may in SJPDP. Maybe we Will meet! Thanks for you question.. I was also wondering!
I AM from Amsterdam, the netherlands. Buen camino!

Hi, i Will also start in may in SJPDP. Maybe we Will meet! Thanks for you question.. I was also wondering!
I AM from Amsterdam, the netherlands. Buen camino!

Hello Bloementuinjtes,

I'll be starting out from SJPdP on May 25th, be nice to meet you if our paths cross.
Be interested to know what your name means - if that's not to personal a thing to ask?:oops:

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New folks, check out the thread Class of 2014 to see who else is going to walk when you are planning to do so. Also I suggest you buy a patch from this forum so others will better recognize you. Maybe see you on the CF!
Stefania

I walked the CF from mid-May to the end of June. The weather was not what I expected. Icy, cold, mud, The route Napolean was closed due to bad weather. You can see from my avatar that I've got my rain jacket around my waist, I'm wearing a fleece pullover, and layers underneath. I didn't buy them along the way, but I wished I had had a pair of gloves during those first two weeks. Who knew Spain in May would be like that! On the other hand, once the rain stopped, about halfway, it never returned. Not a drop in Galicia - thank you, St. James!!
You should consider preparing for all weather and plan to bring efficient layers, including sleepwear.
The blog of my trip covers that time frame, including my prep.
PS - Definitely suggest a rain jacket rather than a poncho. It was much easier to get into and out of on short notice, kept me very dry, and served double duty as a windbreaker. It was lightweight but sturdy (I've used it for more than ten years now) and fit easily into my pack. It is from EMS.

As i have mentioned before, weather is very unpredictable. This past spring has been quite cold and wet as reiterated by footek. I walked the same time in 2012 and the weather was hot and no rain. I have only encountered three days of rain as i entered o cebreiro in galicia. But it always rain in galicia. You will be able to see the different, the grasses and the woods are so green.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Afrikaans it is "blomtuin" :)

I am planning to start walking around 25 April (price of air travel will dictate...), and have decided to put off purchasing a rain jacket/rain jacket-fleece 3-in-1 job until closer to the departure date. I realise it may not help with anything, with the weather being as unpredictable as everyone says, but it is our Summer season in South Africa and it is quite strange preparing for everything from searing heat to rain, and possibly snow (I have to admit this little Capetonian heart would love to throw a snow ball or two).

I would assume that everyone has their preference (I.e. Poncho vs rain jacket and pack cover) with the supporting evidence, but all you can do is ask questions, research and test for yourself before you decide what is best for you. There is no right or wrong.

Besides... If you don't get it right on this Camino, you can change it up for the next one. :evil grin:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back