• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in May

Howie

I apologize for being a pain in the bum (as the kiwi saying goes) - but I have searched for ages and couldn't find anything reasonable and/or meaningful. Ok, there are statistics and so on, but that doesn't mean much to me.

I would like to ask pilgrims who have walked the Camino (St Jean to SdC) in May (that is starting with the 1st and ending with the 31st) about their personal experience with the weather.

Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unless your plans are set in concrete you could consider the VDLP from Sevilla. I did this route last may and found consistent weather until a week before SDC when it rained one afternoon. Being May the CF is further north and the weather is less reliable-a bit like NZ(!)

Camino Frances in May

Howie,

I walked the SJPP-Santiago route 28 April to 31 May 2006. It was cloudy and windy crossing the Pyrenees, was sunny most of the time in Navarra, got rained upon only once before Logrono. Then it was scorching hot across the meseta until Cruz de Ferro (3rd week) where there was rain/hail/ sleet/snow(?), then sun again all the way to Santiago. Not a single raindrop through Galicia during that last week.

The flowers were blooming during that month, countryside awash with colors. No grapes ready for the picking though.

Mark Mulingbayan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May and early June have been the best ones for me, but then it all had to do with when I got my vacations, come rain/shine...

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.