• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in May

Lyndalals

Hi, we are starting in Lisbon at the end of May and walking up to Santiago. Do you think we need to take sleeping bags? We took them on Camino Frances however there were blankets at a lot of places so we didn't need to use them so much. We have sleep sheets, but will this be enough?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, we are starting in Lisbon at the end of May and walking up to Santiago. Do you think we need to take sleeping bags? We took them on Camino Frances however there were blankets at a lot of places so we didn't need to use them so much. We have sleep sheets, but will this be enough?
This is starting to be a colder than normal year. I can say that I am taking a light bag and a liner, just in case. For me, carrying that one lb bag is worth the insurance. My Camino begins on May 7.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re central route Lisbon - Porto: many but not all the albeargues have sheets and blankets there. Porto to Santiago central route: in Porugal most of the private ones have it all, municipal - mostly not, don't remember seeing any blankets there. Spain: municipal ones are usually bare. On the central route after Porto the infrastructure is there, so you could have a choice. Walked from Porto end of Apr - begining of May, was happy to have a light sleeping bag, although some people at that time traveled with a liner only and were fine, so it depends.

Thank you Surya8.

I have read such differing reviews also about the cobblestones. In your opinion would we be ok with trail runners rather than hiking shoes that have a stiffer sole?

Thank you Surya8.

I have read such differing reviews also about the cobblestones. In your opinion would we be ok with trail runners rather than hiking shoes that have a stiffer sole?
I took trekking boots on the Camino first time in Apr from Porto, had regrets about it as were too heavy, too big and too hot for me, so I changed in no name city walking shoes, very soft, not designed for this sort of adventures. Walked at least half of the Camino in them. Second time from Lisbon took some runners, developed a sore ankle and changed into the same city shoes, walked most of the Camino in them. Wasn't pleasant, could feel every stone underneath me feet but was ok. For me the lighter the better as I get tired less this way and have energy to go exploring the towns in the evening, which means walking extra km every day. Haven't found my perfect shoes/boots yet :) As for cobblestones: just accepted them as part of the charm of the Portuguese way :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the shoe advice. I have been so conflicted about what to wear but am going to get trail runners as they are light (as you suggest) and allow air to breathe!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.