• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in October and what to pack?

wanderwoman

Hi there,

It's my first camino and I'm not sure whether to take a Goretex jacket. I have a north face one that's light and very warm. Is it overdoing it? I just can't figure out what the weather is doing that time of year!

Thanks!!

X Amanda

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Without sounding like a wiseacre , and being here on this forum for a couple years , and also walking in Oct , I have gleaned the following for our trek

1. It Rains alot sometimes
2. It gets very Hot sometimes
3. It gets very Cold sometimes
4. Bring an umbrella

In other words... expect it all ..at anytime :)
Buen Camino wanderwoman ! ( Joe & Laurie, Camino Frances Leaving SJPdp 9/26

Without sounding like a wiseacre , and being here on this forum for a couple years , and also walking in Oct , I have gleaned the following for our trek

1. It Rains alot sometimes
2. It gets very Hot sometimes
3. It gets very Cold sometimes
4. Bring an umbrella

In other words... expect it all ..at anytime :)
Buen Camino wanderwoman ! ( Joe & Laurie, Camino Frances Leaving SJPdp 9/26

I have to ask - why an umbrella? Surely, it's just another thing to carry. And if it's raining it's probably windy as well so it would be of little use ...? Mary

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks dead Fred!! That was my thinking too! Though I'm not the best at packing light I was hoping to ditch the jacket! Might test out my layers at home.... Snowed here today in Australia so worse case at the chilly end!, buen camino to you too..... Hope to meet you on the road! Amanda

I have to ask - why an umbrella? Surely, it's just another thing to carry. And if it's raining it's probably windy as well so it would be of little use ...? Mary
If you use trekking poles, you will need to find a way to use the umbrella handlessly.

If you use trekking poles, you will need to find a way to use the umbrella handlessly.

I tried a length of plastic pipe secured to the front straps of my backpack but it didn't work. Still thinking about this one. I have front packs and might be able to do something with those. Last couple of Caminos we've been very grateful for umbrellas, but it has meant walking with only one trekking stick.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there,

It's my first camino and I'm not sure whether to take a Goretex jacket. I have a north face one that's light and very warm. Is it overdoing it? I just can't figure out what the weather is doing that time of year!

Thanks!!

X Amanda
A light and short raincoat with a hood ?

Get dressed in layers. In the morning it can be chilly. So a fleecevest ,and aT shirt..

I started at SJPdP 25 Oct 2012. On cooler mornings (often frosty after mid November) I wore a scarf draped over shoulders under a 100 weight fleece jacket, a light cap, and light ragknit wool gloves. If it was windy or drizzling I wore a rain jacket on top of all that.

I generate a lot of heat when walking, particularly with a pack. The problem comes when its time to take a break; its too cool to not put on another jacket and its too cool to sit on a stone. I ended up taking breaks at cafes where hot drinks were available.

I had snow for one day at O Cebreiro (one of the higher points on the camino) ... it actually felt warmer because the cold takes the dampness out of the air.

It started squalling hard when I got to Finisterre 12 Dec 2012. The streets were awash with a river of water in less than 5 minutes. The squalls came frequently. I was lucky; the rains had been late that year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pamplona last October:
upload_2014-8-1_10-0-40.png

Leon last October
upload_2014-8-1_10-3-59.png

Lugo/La Coruna last October

upload_2014-8-1_10-7-29.png

Santiago de Compostela in October 2013

upload_2014-8-1_10-9-3.png

Lots of different weather in lots of different places. The Camino does cross 450 miles of longitude, and a couple of thousand feet of elevation, so there is not just one weather for the walk. November will be wetter and colder than October. High elevations will be colder.

Buen camino.

Layers.
If your jacket has a zip in liner, that is 2 layers. Smartwool or such shirt long or short sleeves and another shirt over that makes 4 layer total (with jacket and liner).
For bottom, zip off hiking pants should be enough. I don't care for rain pants, but I know some folks use them as an over-layer.
Gloves (mine are open finger tip, leather palm fleece), watch cap and hat, and a scarf or shemagh. If your jacket is rain proof, you'll have to decide on a poncho or not.
It'll be cool and there'll be some rain, but should not be brutal. From Leon to Santiago can be the most unpredictable weather, but you'll be an old hand by then, believe me.
I think I can get some agreements from folks here, you'll find out that walking in the rain is nothing after a while.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Quite right ,it's just another thing to carry . But in my opinion , shade from the sun is almost as important as qench from a water bottle . I will be using my telescoping trekking poles for those hard uphill and downhill events but on the flats I will be packing the poles and opening up the umbrella and if it rains ( without wind) thats an extra bonus.

From those that I have read on here that have used an umbrella , I havn't found a negative comment . ( yet)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Take the jacket! In May the Korean girls even pulled out their earmuffs! They had down coats; wool gloves; rain suits--they might have carried more but they were WARM when others were shivering and quitting. Want to go home because of hypothermia? You soon adjust to the weight of comfortable gear being carried; you don't adjust to being cold and wet.

Take the jacket! In May the Korean girls even pulled out their earmuffs! They had down coats; wool gloves; rain suits--they might have carried more but they were WARM when others were shivering and quitting. Want to go home because of hypothermia? You soon adjust to the weight of comfortable gear being carried; you don't adjust to being cold and wet.
Thanks everyone! I think I will take the jacket!

Quite right ,it's just another thing to carry . But in my opinion , shade from the sun is almost as important as qench from a water bottle . I will be using my telescoping trekking poles for those hard uphill and downhill events but on the flats I will be packing the poles and opening up the umbrella and if it rains ( without wind) thats an extra bonus.

From those that I have read on here that have used an umbrella , I havn't found a negative comment . ( yet)

Hmmm! Will have to think about that. As I don't like wearing a hat using an umbrella in the sun as well might be an option! Thanks. Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone! I think I will take the jacket!

Wanderwoman you won't regret it!

I've done the Frances twice walking in October, and the Goretex jacket was one of my most valued pieces of gear. It wasn't every day but when it was windy, raining, or even sleeting once or twice I was so grateful to have it on hand. It gets very cold later on in the month and especially on the Mesetta and in Gallicia if the conditions are right. Thermal Marino layers are well worth the investment, and a pair of goretex gloves go a long way if your hands get cold easily as this gets worse with rain dripping onto them off your jacket.

As for the umbrella I'm a recent convert, it's been useful when it's been too hot and my hat was trapping the heat in my body. On the flipside if the rain is absolutely belting down it's nice to have a break from the water in your face!

Buen Camino

What about rain pants. I'm going back and forth. Go-lite has some very light ones, but they are expensive. Will i need rain pants?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will i need rain pants?
Probably not. October is not that rainy, and they are time consuming to put on and take off during intermittent rain. Long pants should protect shoes as well as rain pants.

What about rain pants. I'm going back and forth. Go-lite has some very light ones, but they are expensive. Will i need rain pants?

I walked without rain pants but had a poncho that went down to my knees. How do you feel about your legs getting wet and remaining wet for hours? You might try this at home prior to going on the Camino. Take a walk in the rain and let your legs get wet.

Today I always travel with full rain gear.

I'm not taking rain pants....I just feel like I need to draw the line somewhere and I've walked with wet legs before....as long as it's not too cold. Hopefully the poncho will be enough. On that....any tips for a good branch of poncho? The only one I can find doubles as a shelter which seems quite elaborate!

xA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
any tips for a good branch of poncho?
Avoid ponchos that go on over your head. They may be hard to get on in the wind and rain. The Altus brand can hang over your pack when rain threatens, and you simply slip your arms into the armholes and zip up when it starts to rain. When the rain stops, slip out of it, and let it dangle as a pack cover. You won't miss a step.
http://www.caminoteca.com/index.php/virtuemart/ponchos-raincoats-11/ca202603-detail.html

1279411384_28057.jpg

I tried a length of plastic pipe secured to the front straps of my backpack but it didn't work. Still thinking about this one. I have front packs and might be able to do something with those. Last couple of Caminos we've been very grateful for umbrellas, but it has meant walking with only one trekking stick.

I carry "gear ties" 2 to 3 of them..attach umbrella securely to shoulder strap...they can be found in most outdoor or sporting good store :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Legs don't just get wet--they get mud all over them! Take a look at people working on construction projects in rain--they NEVER wear ponchos --they wear rain suits. Must admit that those huge Ponchos did look worthwhile but I found it easier to just stop the rain by placing rocks on the cairns of the Mountain gods along the Camino--Worked for us-- Got drenched after ignoring the rock circles before Burgos and never got a drop of rain after we started acknowledging the local Mountain Gods----Sunshine all of the way afterwards!. You must have faith on the Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Legs don't just get wet--they get mud all over them! Take a look at people working on construction projects in rain--they NEVER wear ponchos --they wear rain suits. Must admit that those huge Ponchos did look worthwhile but I found it easier to just stop the rain by placing rocks on the cairns of the Mountain gods along the Camino--Worked for us-- Got drenched after ignoring the rock circles before Burgos and never got a drop of rain after we started acknowledging the local Mountain Gods----Sunshine all of the way afterwards!. You must have faith on the Camino!
I also carry rain jacket and pants! LOL I've been caught in terrible rain and hail before while hiking...COLD legs are NOT fun! :D

Hi there,

Thanks!!

X Amanda

I walked in May and bought the long raincoat/poncho in Astorga after my poncho from home ( overhead type) was destroyed on the first day. It was a godsend. My friend bought gloves, great idea in October and had a large thin pashmina type scarf, good as a layer on shoulder and neck or as a head scarf. I used running leggings under my hiking pants on cold, rainy days and they were perfect. I did not use an umbrella and can't imagine as our rainy days were also windy. I do wish I had a brimmed hat that would have kept the rain off my glasses though. My hat sat too far back to be effective.
Enjoy.

Spain in October is a pretty place. Daytime temps are comfortable and evening can be cool but fleace works well. Rain can be dealt with by your preference of coat or poncho?
any tips about footwaer...boots or trail shoes?
I walked in May and bought the long raincoat/poncho in Astorga after my poncho from home ( overhead type) was destroyed on the first day. It was a godsend. My friend bought gloves, great idea in October and had a large thin pashmina type scarf, good as a layer on shoulder and neck or as a head scarf. I used running leggings under my hiking pants on cold, rainy days and they were perfect. I did not use an umbrella and can't imagine as our rainy days were also windy. I do wish I had a brimmed hat that would have kept the rain off my glasses though. My hat sat too far back to be effective.
Enjoy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Instead of rain pants, consider a pair of gaiters.
After having used an umbrella on my last 3 Camino's, I can't imagine walking without one. Mine is very light wight and collapsible.it's also useful in the afternoons when you might be wandering around the place where you are staying. Anne

any tips about footwaer...boots or trail shoes?

Wear boots or shoes that are comfortable and provide some support. Most of the camino is on hardened surfaces. Very rarely will you encounter muck deeper than the soles of your shoes. Boots will provide more support but shoes will dry out faster (including moisture due to sweat).

I walked in October 2012 and am going again in October-November 2014. I live near Vancouver BC, which is known as the Wet Coast. I will take Goretex (or similar) jacket and pants, gloves, a sun visor to keep rain off my glasses, AND an umbrella. If the weather turns out to be beautiful, then be happy. However, I'm expecting and prepared for sun, rain, sleet and snow. I never travel without a good rain jacket except maybe to Australia in the summer.

€83,-
First two Caminos I wore Merrel boots and had no complaints with them, weight was just under 2 lbs. First in October and second camino was in the spring and I took ultralight gaiters and didn't use them (fortunate with weather). Last spring I wore Keen boots they are a heavier boot but a great boot for me.

Guess what I am saying is that those boots worked great for me. Find your boot, walk, walk and walk some more and determine if its good boot for you.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.