• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in October

cehusted

Hi Everyone, I've been reading all the posts as I'm new to the forum. This is my first Camino and I plan to walk in October. I'm from the United States. I'm very excited but I'm wondering what to expect with the weather in terms of temperature and rain. I read somewhere that most rain is in Galicia. I plan to begin my Camino on October 1st. Your advice is welcome! Claire

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Claire,

You will experience rain, sun, cold and heat. I have been sunburned in October just before San Juan. If it is any consolation I have experienced full days of rain in June.

Expect rain or sunshine at any time, though Galicia is the place where you are most likely to experience it. I also got sunburned in Galicia last December so just be aware that you must take each day as it comes.

I think you would be unlucky to see snow, though a friend of mine did in Triacestela in October- though just a smattering.

The important thing is that is you are properly equipped with good rain gear, a hat for the sun and rain,and a lightweight warm top (Berghaus toastie or similar) and a T shirt for the sun. Then you will be fine.

Do check the FAQ's about equipment.

On a very personal note I have found that I can cope with rain as long as my glasses are dry. To that end I have an Australian kangeroo hat that sits on top of my coat hood and does the job. I look a right idiot but it works and that is the secret of the Camino.

October is one of the best months to walk the Camino ; There are fewer pilgrims around so you will probably have no hassles getting a bed in the Albergues and the Autumn landscapes are fantastic!

I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago during the whole of October in 2003.

The mornings and nights are cold and can even be bitter so do not skimp on warm clothing and a good sleeping bag. The days are fabulous , ideal to walk in as it is not too hot.

In Galacia it rained every day for a week - almost reducing me to tears - Rain gear is a must and comes in handy as an extra thermal layer.

You are in for one almighty treat , an experience of a lifetime - Start off slowly and ENJOY!! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much for your responses! This is so helpful. I have my raingear and goretex hiking boots all ready and broken in. I'm fighting a recent flare up of plantar fasciitis, which is the only thing that would cause me to not walk this year. I'm planning a slow start and hope to gain endurance as the days wear on. I am so excited about this trip :D

On a different note, I will be traveling to SJPP from Rome, Italy. Do you have any recommendations as the best way to arrive? I was thinking by train but not sure.

Again, thanks so much! This forum is truly wonderful for us neophytes!!!!

You could consider using Easyjet from Rome to Toulouse then taking the train. Or you could consider a double trip from Rome to Paris and Paris to Biarritz. You would, however need to get the train from Orly to Charles de Gaulle because the two airports are quite a distance appart. (You need to juggle cost with inconvenience). Once you arrive in Biarritz (which is next to Bayonne) you would then only have the short distance by the local train to SJPP. You cannot book these as one trip but individually. To save on double credit card charges make sure you 'add another booking' before going to the 'how to pay' section. You just need to give yourself plenty of time to arrive and then to depart again because of getting across Paris to Charles de Gaulle which is half hour by train from Gard du Nord. Someone else may have information on trains all the way from Rome. I have already tried to get from Toulouse into Italy and by internet the booking wasn't easy. At the time we were obliged to book the tickets individually in each country. So Rome to Ventamiglia (the last town in Italy so assume this is where the last station is). The change train to the local shuttle train to get into France. Then either Menton or Nice get a ticket all the way, but this may need changes in perhaps Toulouse and Bordeaux. Best thing is throw the question at Ask or Google. Good luck.

Thanks Ange for the tip! I was having a hard time figuring it out online from the U.S. I decided that it would be easier to do it when I am there in person. I will heed your advice. I plan on beginning the Camino on September 30th and am very excited. I leave for Rome tomorrow. Again, many thanks. Claire

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do you have an idea of the avarange temp? And the lower temp? Just to plan what to pack.

Also, sleeping bag? +30?

Diegomartine said:
Do you have an idea of the avarange temp? And the lower temp? Just to plan what to pack.

Also, sleeping bag? +30?

Sleeping bag insulation qualities are not too important ( sleep in your fleece if you need to)- you need to take a few layers(not thick jackets) , that you can add and take off according to the temp. Mornings and nights can be snappy - be prepared for low temperatures at the start of the day. My experiences ............ 5C in the mornings up to 25C during the day. :)

October is one of the best months to walk the Camino ; There are fewer pilgrims around so you will probably have no hassles getting a bed in the Albergues and the Autumn landscapes are fantastic!

I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago during the whole of October in 2003.

The mornings and nights are cold and can even be bitter so do not skimp on warm clothing and a good sleeping bag. The days are fabulous , ideal to walk in as it is not too hot.

In Galacia it rained every day for a week - almost reducing me to tears - Rain gear is a must and comes in handy as an extra thermal layer.

You are in for one almighty treat , an experience of a lifetime - Start off slowly and ENJOY!! :D

Mr Renshaw...
I am interested in your definition of "rain gear". I am such a wimp when it comes to the cold and yet I sweat with exertion. I start my mini-Camino in Villafranca del Bierzo in October so I will be in the Galician region where I hear chances are pretty good for cold, wet conditions. I've read through many many posts regarding the rain gear vs poncho debate. Interested in your thoughts as you mention both cold and wet with the same reference.
Thanks!
Shurolla

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Everyone, I've been reading all the posts as I'm new to the forum. This is my first Camino and I plan to walk in October. I'm from the United States. I'm very excited but I'm wondering what to expect with the weather in terms of temperature and rain. I read somewhere that most rain is in Galicia. I plan to begin my Camino on October 1st. Your advice is welcome! Claire
Claire, I am beginning my Camino one day before you, staying at Orisson the first night and starting out very slowly, so I expect that we shall meet along the Way. I am also still muddling over rain gear for that season. See you there, Buen Camino.

Claire, I am beginning my Camino one day before you, staying at Orisson the first night and starting out very slowly, so I expect that we shall meet along the Way. I am also still muddling over rain gear for that season. See you there, Buen Camino.
Another old thread. Info about rain gear doesn't get outdated but Claire wrote in 2011, so you may not meet. :)

Another old thread. Info about rain gear doesn't get outdated but Claire wrote in 2011, so you may not meet. :)
Thanks, Cher:
I am not sure why this thread turned up today, but I expect to meet many wonderful pilgrims at Orisson and beyond. My comment to Claire was more for her encouragement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Ange for the tip! I was having a hard time figuring it out online from the U.S. I decided that it would be easier to do it when I am there in person. I will heed your advice. I plan on beginning the Camino on September 30th and am very excited. I leave for Rome tomorrow. Again, many thanks. Claire
Hi Cheusted...
Like you I am starting my first Camino a day before you but will be coming from Milan. After searching lots of possibilities i found a flight to Pamploma (($200 approx aus compared to a flight to the nearest French airport$900 aus ) then a 6 euro bus to SJPP to be my better option. This enables me to post my travel luggage from within Spain, sort my SIM card and purchace specific walking gear eg rainponcho all ready to go!!!
Just a thought...
Buen Comino

Mr Renshaw...
I am interested in your definition of "rain gear". I am such a wimp when it comes to the cold and yet I sweat with exertion. I start my mini-Camino in Villafranca del Bierzo in October so I will be in the Galician region where I hear chances are pretty good for cold, wet conditions. I've read through many many posts regarding the rain gear vs poncho debate. Interested in your thoughts as you mention both cold and wet with the same reference.
Thanks!
Shurolla
I had many layers that could breath but for the rain pants that were a little more 'Plastic' ....but they did the job.
Most important was a quality light jacket that kept out the rain and wind - the other layers kept me warm - most of the time one starts out the day wearing too much and a few layers have to be shed once in your stride.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.