• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in October?

jenrush

Hi, this is my first message so forgive me if it's already been answered somewhere! I'm planning to do the camino de frances in October - does anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year? I had wanted to avoid the intense summer heat, being Irish and all, but I don't really want to be walking in the rain every day. Any ideas?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check out Peter Robin's website:
http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/camino/weather.html

It has a great chart of average temps along the Camino by month. Remember the entire Camino de Santiago covers over 750 KMs of Northern Spain and the weather is very different by region. Galicia has a more temperate climate compared to Burgos, which can vary greatly during a day!

Hope this helps - Good luckl

We walked from Leon to Santiago in October last year. For the most part the weather was fantastic except for the solid rain from Sarria to Santiago. But hey into each Camino a little rain will fall. I would certainly walk at that time of year again, much better than the heat in summer.

Have a great time and enjoy the way.

Buen Camino

pete

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Me too!

Hi Jen,

I'll also be on the Camio Frances in October! Heading off from Dublin mid September! Might meet you along the way!

Jenny

Hallo

We did the camino in October from Ocebreiro to Santiago. It was the wettest moments. It was as if the heavens opened. So expect some rain in October. Make sure u have proper waterproofing.

Regards
Bharat

Re: Me too!

diego said:
Hi Jen,

I'll also be on the Camio Frances in October! Heading off from Dublin mid September! Might meet you along the way!

Jenny[/quot
i'm also taking the route from pamplona to santiago mid october! Hear it'sa good time to go, not over crowded or too hot. Maybe we'll all end up in the same auberge!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pleased to hear that there are others walking in October, I am heading out of Dublin on 4 Oct to start from SJPdP on the 5th.
Jen when are you heading out?

jenrush said:
Hi, this is my first message so forgive me if it's already been answered somewhere! I'm planning to do the camino de frances in October - does anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year? I had wanted to avoid the intense summer heat, being Irish and all, but I don't really want to be walking in the rain every day. Any ideas?

You want walk in rain every day. I left SJpdP about October 5 or 6 in 2005 and finished in Finisterre about mid November and I, being from the warmer latitudes, just walked in shorts every day, only cold (light morning snow) around O'Cebreiro and the last evening in Finisterre. There was some cold rain occasionally though, sometimes for a few of days on end but often I just walked in tee shirt and shorts.

There is one oft overlooked advantage to this time of year that will occur to you at the beginning of your Camino as you walk into Navarra and Rioja amidst those huge vineyards of plump grapes dangling from the vines. You will soon find your face covered with their sweetness-the finest breakfasts you will ever have-and you will find yourself missing them when you walk out of the wine producing areas and into the wheat producing ones next with those huge empty fields of already cultivated wheat,. Just choose your breakfast, lunch or snack bunches from those dangling from the lower part of the plant as those grapes are usually just discarded anyway because of their lower potential alcohol content. But i could never tell the difference of taste between the two sides. I am remembering now with fondness those sumptuous cabernet sauvignon and tempranillo grapes and the young wines-especially my favorite, the tempranillo, served alongside those pilgrim menus. Enjoy!!

plump grapes dangling from the vines. You will soon find your face covered with their sweetness-the finest breakfasts you will ever have

True but remember to wash them because they are spraid with many chemicals. Nothing worst then to go food poisoning before you reach Burgos. :cry:

As sure as as the sun rises everyday you will get glorious days of sunshine, spectacular mornings with the sun in your back, hot afternoons and.... you guessed it :rain. You will probably get more rain as you progress west because Galicia is known for many nice things, including lots of rain.

All in all it should be good. I experienced 40°C in the Meseta and 10 straigh days of rain; I am not sure which is the worst.

Buen Camino, enjoy your experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ulysse said:
plump grapes dangling from the vines. You will soon find your face covered with their sweetness-the finest breakfasts you will ever have

True but remember to wash them because they are spraid with many chemicals. Nothing worst then to go food poisoning before you reach Burgos. :cry:

Buen Camino, enjoy your experience.

I never washed a grape before i ate it and never once considered doing so. And I ate them for days on end. I trusted some prior rain to have done it for me...and it must have been so!

Do you have an idea of the avarange temp? And the lower temp? Just to plan what to pack.

Also, sleeping bag? +30?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.