• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in Sept & Oct

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
Change of plans. My travel companion can go in Sept. Anyone know what to expect weather wise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tsk, tsk @falcon269, the question was asked in the Camino Portugues thread, and you are sending him the climate data for Leon! The data for Porto is here.
Thanks dougfitz. Warm in Sept and wet in Oct.

It depends from the years. September could be hot, or it could be wet. It's mid season so you will never know really, but the data that @dougfitz shared could give you a bigger picture of what to expect.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
It depends from the years. September could be hot, or it could be wet. It's mead season so you will never know really, but the data that @dougfitz shared could give you a bigger picture of what to expect,
@Diogo92, I cannot speak directly for @falcon269, but I suspect he has a similar view to me - asking for a weather forecast for many, or even just several, months time is rather pointless. While that might be a strict interpretation of many requests, I think it is a colloquial way of asking about the climatic conditions for a place rather than a weather forecast, and I suspect why @falcon269 provided a link to climate data, as do I normally in response to questions of this nature.

BTW, I do like the suggestion that in mead season, you could reach the point of never knowing what the weather is like, although how one would walk in that condition is not quite clear to me.:confused:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am pretty sure that there will be morning drizzle on September 18, 2014.;)

@Diogo92, I cannot speak directly for @falcon269, but I suspect he has a similar view to me - asking for a weather forecast for many, or even just several, months time is rather pointless. While that might be a strict interpretation of many requests, I think it is a colloquial way of asking about the climatic conditions for a place rather than a weather forecast, and I suspect why @falcon269 provided a link to climate data, as do I normally in response to questions of this nature.

BTW, I do like the suggestion that in mead season, you could reach the point of never knowing what the weather is like, although how one would walk in that condition is not quite clear to me.:confused:

I do understand that, but has you've said, the data could give you some idea of how the weather will be. For instance, for me, the weather in October this year was pretty much has the data that you have shown in here. The only difference that I might remember is that last year, we had heavy rain at the end of the month for at least one and a half week/two weeks, and this year we also had rain, but heavy and for about 3 days. So it's like, it was the same level of rain for what the Weather Institute say, but on different ways.

To walk in the mid season, you go prepared for both possibilities. That is what I do, and you don't need to carry a lot of extra equipment. A poncho or a rain jacket + pants it's enough, because you won't find a lot of low temperatures. I knew a guy once that only carried a 20L backpack. I asked him: "What about if it rains?" He told that when he thinks that he's going to catch rain, he adds his poncho, or a pair of rain pants, and light rain jacket. So, I think that with an extra 300g, you will be prepared to walk in the mid season.

Best Regards
Diogo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always recall a good piece of advice to travellers I heard many years ago - pack for the climate, then dress for the weather.

Regards,

Never heard it, but I liked it :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Tony, try this on for size:
Weather from Lisbon to Santiago, or Porto to Santiago, September and October (from my October and November experience, so I am only guessing...
Several days:
Sunny and hot, with a maelstrom of flies not so wonderful to walk but walk on, MacDuff, walk on.
Other days:
Rainy and windy, with a buffeting of Altuses
A few days:
Cloudy and warm, perfect for walking and a long cool drink of water
Some more days:
Cloudy and cool, perfect for walking and a hot cuppa café com leite before, during and/or after
A couple of days:
Clear and warm, perfect for walking with a good pair of RayBans
A couple other days:
Clear and cool, perfect for walking for kms and kms and kms and kms! (Not so perfect for those less-than-hardy types, such those who live below the 50° N latitude, hahaha!) (Yeah, I'm talking to you, guy from Majorca! ;))
:p

I'll pack for May in Galicia Weather I think:D. A poncho and a Fleece. Thanks to you all. Urban T

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like you I am planning on walking from Porto in the Fall. Noting August is drier does anyone know what makes up the local calendar i.e. when do schools start or Summer season end. I would like to travel as soon as possible with less crowds at the beach. Thank you..... Willy

Excellent! That's likely to be the day I start! Thanks for the tip (wink)!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Change of plans. My travel companion can go in Sept. Anyone know what to expect weather wise.

hello urban trekker,

weatherwise can be very unpredictable. this past september has been very hot in santiago de compostela with temperature in the 30-35 degree centigrade. the first rain of the season only arrived at the last couple of days in september. but always be ready to expect rain in galicia.

buen camino. god bless.

this past september has been very hot in santiago de compostela with temperature in the 30-35 degree centigrade. the first rain of the season only arrived at the last couple of days in september.
The records indicate that the September 2013 average was a couple of degrees above the average for a Santiago September, at just over 24degC. The highest maximum was 33degC, with only five other days over 29degC, the temperature some sources classify as 'hot'. The lowest maximum was 17degC, and the lowest minimum was 5degC.

Precipitation was recorded on 12 days in the month, pretty much on the average for September, but the amount that fell was about 30% lower than the average. Also, given the low readings early in the month, it might well have been drizzle or light rain.

Other than the lower precipitation, it would appear September last year was just a little warmer than average, but not outside the normal range of temperatures one might expect. Other than one cool day, most of the month would appear to have been comfortable or warm, with a few hot days at the start of the month and a couple later.

Paraphrasing what @falcon269 sometimes notes, the weather for September was pretty much the same last year as it has been in the past, and is likely to be next year, but just on different days.

Regards,

I walked in Sep/Oct 2011 and we got a heat wave, only 1 day did I take the rain gear out of the bag. I had to improvise with "scarf" over my head like an "arab", get up earlier and finish before midday and generally being Irish suffered. My husband is Irish also but he loved it, shorts a T-shirt, all day, every day. That was camino frances, no let up in Galicia in Oct for walk in either..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Galicia and nothern Portugal, in the first two weeks of September the weather is usually dry and warm (summer typical ). In the last two weeks, the probability of rain increases but the temperature remains warm. That situation continues in October with temperatures going down and rain up.

Like you I am planning on walking from Porto in the Fall. Noting August is drier does anyone know what makes up the local calendar i.e. when do schools start or Summer season end. I would like to travel as soon as possible with less crowds at the beach. Thank you..... Willy

School usually starts between the second and third week of September. Weather goes like @Pelegrin metioned.

Best Regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.