• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in September/October

Time of past OR future Camino
August/September 2016
Hello
I am planning my walk the beginning of September thru the middle of October and wanted to know what the weather would be like?

Any suggestions of hotel stay in Madrid before I walk?

What is the best transportation from Madrid to SJDPP? Thinking of flying from Dallas Texas to Madrid on the 3rd getting in on 4th and walking Monday 5th to avoid the weekend crowd. So many questions but this will do for now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked Sept/Oct last year and had 4 days of rain in 42 days, not sure if this is the norm, maybe I was just lucky.

Sorry I can't help you on the other questions.

What is the best transportation from Madrid to SJDPP?

You can go from Madrid airport to Pamplona by bus with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) changing buses along the route (most likely in Soria). Alternatively, you can go from downtown Madrid (Avenida de América bus station) to Pamplona with PLM Autocares (http://plmautocares.com); no changes required but you need to get to the downtown from the airport because their bus out of the airport doesn't run on Sundays. To reach Avenida de América from the airport, take bus line number 200. Taxi is another option but it's much more expensive (fixed rate: 30 Euros). Once in Pamplona, take an Alsa bus to SJPP.

From downtown Madrid (Atocha train station), you can also take a train to Pamplona (www.renfe.com is the train operator) but once in Pamplona, you would need to commute from the train station to the bus station and they aren't close together so you may find this option less convinient. You could walk from the train to the bus station in Pamplona but it takes time. Alternatively, you could take an urban bus at the train station that would leave you close to the bus station. Taxi is another option and not as expensive as a taxi from Madrid airport to the downtown. To go from Madrid airport to Atocha station, take either a Cercanías (commuter) train or the Express bus (www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto).

I am planning my walk the beginning of September thru the middle of October and wanted to know what the weather would be like?

You would likely find some rain on some stages. Temperatures are difficult to predict. We can't know now if it'll be hot year, a cold one, an average one, a mix... You may find maximum temperatures in the 20's (Celsius) as well as in the 30's (in hot days) as well as lower than 20ºC... You may find minimum temperatures lower than 10ºC in part(s) of the route... Lower than 5ºC may be possible on cold days... But you may find minimum temperatures above 15ºC on a hot day...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked 2013 & 2014 September to mid October. Only a few days of rain, very dry. Needed my light weight fleece jacket some mornings toward the end.
I've stayed at the Hotel Mediodia across from Atocha train station several times, www.mediodiahotel.com

I walked last year from SJPdP to Santiago starting September 7. I had morning temperatures as low as 3 and afternoons as high as 34. No rain until Galicia then 5 straight days of it. I would absolutely walk at this time of year again and in fact I am. This time the Portuguese coastal route.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello

What is the best transportation from Madrid to SJDPP? Thinking of flying from Dallas Texas to Madrid on the 3rd getting in on 4th and walking Monday 5th to avoid the weekend crowd. So many questions but this will do for now.
Nelia--I'm from Dallas too and will begin in Burgos on September 16th. Perhaps our paths may cross depending on how where you will be starting and ending. Buen Camino to you!
daniel

I walked last year in mid August to mid October. think about doing train to Pamplona and have corazon puro meet you. Istvan will meet you, take you to his pension where you meet other pilgrims, have dinner, spend the night and he drives you to SJPDP the following morning after breakfast. make reservations at refuge Orisson for the following night. then you'll walk into Roncevalles on the third day. don't make the mistake of trying to do it in one day. also...contact the sporting gear shop across the street from the pilgrim office in SJPDP and order your walking poles and one of their raincoats. they have zippers and a pouch on the back to cover your backpack. I took cheap poncho and was sorry. it is made by Altus and I think about 50 euros. Be open, talk to people and enjoy. if your pack is heavy think about using a transport on some of the longer days. it's okay. Buen Camino
Hello

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The shop in St Jean pdp for equipments is Direction Compostelle Boutique du Pelerin....the owner Pierre speaks English and is good. pull up his website and you'll see the raincoat. buen camino
Hello

Hello

hi , my sis and i started our walk 10thsept to mid oct,2014 and would say its a great time to walk it was warm but not roasting we saw the amazing sunflowers we did wear a fleece or light jacket in the mornings or evenings,and as for the final stages it looks like Ireland for a reason,ie it WILL surely rain.but i would walk at this time of year again,hope this helps.

Hello

I stayed at Hotel Europa was wonderful right in heart of Madrid!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked last year in mid August to mid October. think about doing train to Pamplona and have corazon puro meet you. Istvan will meet you, take you to his pension where you meet other pilgrims, have dinner, spend the night and he drives you to SJPDP the following morning after breakfast. make reservations at refuge Orisson for the following night. then you'll walk into Roncevalles on the third day. don't make the mistake of trying to do it in one day. also...contact the sporting gear shop across the street from the pilgrim office in SJPDP and order your walking poles and one of their raincoats. they have zippers and a pouch on the back to cover your backpack. I took cheap poncho and was sorry. it is made by Altus and I think about 50 euros. Be open, talk to people and enjoy. if your pack is heavy think about using a transport on some of the longer days. it's okay. Buen Camino
That's almost exactly what I have planned for this year!

Hello

Hello Neila. My friend and I from Australia are starting from SJPP Sept 5th. Perhaps we'll meet you. First time for us. This forum so helpful.

Hello

Hi Nelia, I am walking as well Sept to mid October. I will leave from SPPDP on Sept 5, perhaps we will run into each other. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello

I am wondering the same. Seems it can be from one extreme to the other. Hard to decide how to pack. My friend and I will leave from Dallas on Sept 2, but we are flying into Paris. Still trying to figure out the best route to SJPdP. Will probably start walk on 5th also. We just might see each other!

Hard to decide how to pack

A little bit of every thing. ;) Don't forget to package rain gear.

Still trying to figure out the best route to SJPdP.

If you arrive to CDG, depending on your arrival time, you can take a train from CDG airport to Bordeaux, another one from Bordeaux to Bayonne and a third one from Bayonne to SJPP. If you arrive too late to make all the route in a single day, you can go to downtown Paris and travel from downtown Paris to SJPP the next day. Departing from downtown Paris, take a train to Bayonne and another one from Bayonne to SJPP.

Another option is to fly from Paris to Biarritz, take a bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne and a train from Bayonne to SJPP.

My daughter and I are starting on the 4th September, good to see from the posts that it appears to be a lovely time of year to walk, hope to see others on the road whom are walking at the same time, :))

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A little bit of every thing. ;) Don't forget to package rain gear.

If you arrive to CDG, depending on your arrival time, you can take a train from CDG airport to Bordeaux, another one from Bordeaux to Bayonne and a third one from Bayonne to SJPP. If you arrive too late to make all the route in a single day, you can go to downtown Paris and travel from downtown Paris to SJPP the next day. Departing from downtown Paris, take a train to Bayonne and another one from Bayonne to SJPP.

Another option is to fly from Paris to Biarritz, take a bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne and a train from Bayonne to SJPP.
Thank you. We are arriving CDG at 0935 (Sept 3) so we will miss the morning train from CDG. QUESTION: Do you know how long it might take to claim bag and clear customs? I am wondering if we would be able to make the 1225 train from downtown. Otherwise, we will have to stay the night and travel the next day OR spend an extra $250 and fly Air France to Biarritz and then take a shuttle service from there to SJPP (we would miss the train) Or, I guess we could spend the night in Biarritz/Bayonne and take the train the next day. I will definitely need the Camino to destress from all the planning and decision making!

QUESTION: Do you know how long it might take to claim bag and clear customs?

If you don't get answers for that question on this thread, open a new one to increase visibility in order to have more chances of getting answers from people familiar with CDG airport.

BTW, with any flight, something that shouldn't be overlooked is that it may be delayed.

If you don't get answers for that question on this thread, open a new one to increase visibility in order to have more chances of getting answers from people familiar with CDG airport.

BTW, with any flight, something that shouldn't be overlooked is that it may be delayed.
Thank you, Castilian. I will do that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello

Thanks for the question, Nella. I'll be starting from SJPdP on 9/11, and had the same weather wonders.

My husband and I leave Oklahoma City Sept 4 arriving in Madrid Sept 5. We are spending the night in Madrid near Atocha train station. I'm trying to get the train tickets to Pamplona on the Renfe site with no luck. A message comes up saying they are not available at the time. I changed the date and it gave the same message. We want to take the earliest train so we can take the earliest possible bus to St. Jean since we start our camino the very next day. Any suggestions? Thank you so much, this forum is amazing!

Update - Never mind. We were able to get the train tickets from the website. Seems like the server was down? We are all set, very excited!

Last edited:
My husband and I leave Oklahoma City Sept 4 arriving in Madrid Sept 5. We are spending the night in Madrid near Atocha train station. I'm trying to get the train tickets to Pamplona on the Renfe site with no luck. A message comes up saying they are not available at the time. I changed the date and it gave the same message. We want to take the earliest train so we can take the earliest possible bus to St. Jean since we start our camino the very next day. Any suggestions? Thank you so much, this forum is amazing!

Update - Never mind. We were able to get the train tickets from the website. Seems like the server was down? We are all set, very excited!
Perhaps it's too early to book tickets for September? I just booked my train tickets to Pamplona last week for August 20th.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi welltraveled53! Welcome to the forum!

I'm trying to get the train tickets to Pamplona on the Renfe site with no luck. A message comes up saying they are not available at the time. I changed the date and it gave the same message.

Bookings usually open two months in advance so it would be a bit early to book them. Be aware the RENFE web can be tricky to use. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com to know how works the RENFE web, avoid posible problems and know alternatives to book your tickets just in case you couldn't make the RENFE web work for you.

Thank you Trecile, we were able to get the tickets later yesterday. It was tricky like you said. It took several tries but we got them. First the site said there were no available connections, then didn't like our credit cards, we had to call the bank. Eventually my husband was able to get them. Next is getting the bus tickets from Pamplona to St. Jean, I'm hoping that's easier!

I walked 2013 & 2014 September to mid October. Only a few days of rain, very dry. Needed my light weight fleece jacket some mornings toward the end.
I've stayed at the Hotel Mediodia across from Atocha train station several times, www.mediodiahotel.com
Did you take the train to Pamplona and then bus to SJPDP? Did you have to transfer trains? Would you recommend buying a ticket on line before leaving? Thanks for your help!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did you take the train to Pamplona and then bus to SJPDP? Did you have to transfer trains? Would you recommend buying a ticket on line before leaving? Thanks for your help!
I did take the train directly to Pamplona. I met three Spanish Pilgrims at the Pamplona bus station (so I was glad I did not buy bus ticket ahead of time) and we taxi'd together to Roncesvalles, where we started. No, I did not book my train ahead of time, but bought the ticket the day before at the station, and then stayed overnight near Atocha station. Also I took the yellow airport bus from Madrid airport directly to Atocha train station.
There are many variations on this theme, and you will figure out the best for you!

I did take the train directly to Pamplona. I met three Spanish Pilgrims at the Pamplona bus station (so I was glad I did not buy bus ticket ahead of time) and we taxi'd together to Roncesvalles, where we started. No, I did not book my train ahead of time, but bought the ticket the day before at the station, and then stayed overnight near Atocha station. Also I took the yellow airport bus from Madrid airport directly to Atocha train station.
There are many variations on this theme, and you will figure out the best for you!
Your response is very helpful! Thank you kindly. I arrive in Madrid early so think I'll hop the yellow bus, then train to Pamplona, then see from there! Six short weeks away! Thanks again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am wondering the same. Seems it can be from one extreme to the other. Hard to decide how to pack. My friend and I will leave from Dallas on Sept 2, but we are flying into Paris. Still trying to figure out the best route to SJPdP. Will probably start walk on 5th also. We just might see each other!
Hi sbauc
I am from the DFW area and leaving Sept 2. Hope to see you
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.