• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in September? Sleeping bag or liner?

karen7731

Hi! I will be walking the Camino Frances in late August and all of September. What is the weather like in September? Does anyone know if blankets are provided at albergues? Will I need a sleeping bag or will a liner suffice? I just bought a light sleeping bag that will keep me warm in conditions down to 40 degrees F. It's a big on the heavy side (2 pounds 8 ounces), and I think it might be superfluous if the weather's going to be hot during September. I'm considering returning the sleeping bag and buying a REI liner for 55+ degrees instead.

What do you think? Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

And while we're on the subject of the weather during September, would I need a fleece, windbreaker, or poncho? Thanks!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner? This has been discussed before on the forum and we all have our own personal opinion on this subject.
Firstly the weather in September could be hot with not so many rainy days, the night temperatures maybe down to + 6-7 Celsius on the mountains. But it could be raining a lot too who knows.
I usually look at Peter Robins´weather page Rain in Spain just to get a rough idea how the temperatures and rainy days would be.
http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/santiago/weather.html

I´m one of those who brings a light weight down sleeping bag 450 grams (1 pound) Halti Airlite 400 Std http://halti.com/products/summer_2010/s ... e_400_std/ and a bed bug sheet http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/mosqu ... rsheet.htm
The bunks in albergues are clean and nice most times but the sheets and pillow cases are not washed everyday. So I sleep better when sleeping on my own stuff. As a pillow case I use my sarong (serves as a sun shade and a towel as well).

So I will bring my sleeping bag, bed bug sheet and a sarong when walking the camino during September to May. June to Augusts are hot, not much rain and would maybe leave the sleeping bag home then.
annie

Last edited:
Unless you plan to sleep outdoors, the outside air temperature is of no concern in selecting a sleeping bag/liner. The decision hangs mostly on how cold blooded you are! If you need to be warm, then choose the sleeping bag. My nylon liner is fine for me; it warms by about 10 degrees F. Blankets and pillows are available almost everywhere (not Leon).

Since you will be outside some of the time, the outside air temperature is a concern in taking a fleece. You will find very cool temperatures at night in the higher elevations any time of the year. Prepare for them. It also is a good idea to prepare for the rare event, such as needing to sleep in your clothes in an area such as an unheated porch. A fleece would be handy then. (For example, half the beds are al fresco under the eaves of the older albergue in Molinaseca.) You might want to toss in one of those space blankets (mylar) that weigh next to nothing. Others have opined that they make noise, so you may want to take some foam earplugs to offer the complainers. The blanket will keep you warmer in an emergency.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cannot imagine you needing a sleeping bag during the time you said you will be walking. A liner should be OK plus quite a bit lighter. I walked most of Sep 09 and didn't need a sleeping bag.

As for fleece/windbreaker/poncho...during the first part of your walk, you will probably only need something to keep the water off when it rains. I took a breathable rain jacket but think I would have preferred a good poncho. I didn't take any fleece but ended up buying a fleece zip up jacket about half way through my walk. It just became too cool in the evening and first thing in the morning. It's the best purchase I made in Spain and I didn't have to carry it the first half of my Camino!

I am with Annie, after walking 2400 km on various routes the perfect combo is a lightweight down bag, 480 grams from Macpac for example, an antibedbug sheet 100 by 200 cm ( 100 grams) to throw over mattress and pillow and a lightweight lavalava to put your head on and wear to the shower or as a piece of clothing when everything is in the wash etc. It is the bext mix by far. Gitti

I walked the Le Puy route in September, mainly warm, but cold/windy occasionally and a couple of cold wet days. Again after 2400 km I believe the perfect mix for that time of year is a poncho, lightweight fleece and lightweight long sleeve icebreaker merino and a first layer type short sleeved top, as well as a long sleeved lightweight sun repellent shirt, which is ideal for walking. You can mix and match really well in combination with shorts, 3/4 length trowsers and a lavalava. All quick drying. Regards, Gitti

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Karen, It's interesting to note people's home country when they suggest whether or not you will need a sleeping bag. From Toronto, definitely not. I'm from northern Australia and I say definitely yes! We walked the Camino Frances last Sept/Oct and I was so glad that I had a light-weight down sleeping bag. I didn't use it every night but would have been very miserable without it on quite a few nights. I know a lot of albergues have blankets but, due to the bed-bug problem, I would avoid using them if possible.
Good luck, Jacki.

:D thank you, Jacki! I have purchased a very light sleeping bag and a silk liner in preparation for my first visit to the Camino (September 3rd this year) and I was beginning to feel slightly concerned before I read your response to the question. I shall certainly be bringing my sleeping bag (and my poncho!)

Can anyone explain the differences (if any) between particular liners? Can you get them anti-bed-bug, or with permirithin treatment already (sorry about lack of correct terminology / spelling)?

Are there different ones for different temperatures?

If I were to avoid taking a sleeping bag in September could i just get a higher temp liner to keep me warm?

Also, what's the temp in the evenings during September? I'm still not sold that I should bother with a fleecy. As per a previous posters comment about where people are from, I'm Australian, but have lived in tropical climates and Northern European winters so am used to alot of weather types.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Liners typically warm you about 10 degrees F, and silk and cotton do not make much of a difference. While the weather is getting cooler in September, the inside of albergues will still be "room temperature". I have always found the sleeping bag liner gives adequate warmth, and there are almost always blankets around, and they are as clean as the mattresses, pillows, and bunks! I sleep comfortably at about 68 F, so the liner is perfect in a 58 F room. I also have a Tyvek blanket that warms another 10 F, so the two of them give me comfort in a 48 F room. Typical lightweight sleeping bags claim comfort in a 40 F temperature, so I pretty much have that covered.

Evenings in September may require a fleece, although you can always add layers of clothes including your poncho. Unless you are fashion conscious, don't worry about wearing a poncho around town or in the albergue. Your objective is more likely to be a light pack than having precisely the right clothing choice. You can sleep in your clothes, and no one will be the wiser, but you will be the warmer for it!

Thanks for the advice Falcon.

Am definitely most not fashion conscious even in my "normal life".

I was also thinking of just layering things, but a liner seems like it would be adequate.

I thought I answered this, but don't see my post.

Joe and I have walked two separate years in September, October, and November.

I took a Marmot Pounder Plus which is for temps down to 25 degrees and only weights 1.5 pounds.

Joe took a $35 fleece liner from REI that weighed much less.

We both were toasty warm.

The albergues are not freezing, even in the fall, believe me!
The heat from all those pilgrims made me want the windows open nearly every night!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be starting from SJPDP on Aug 23rd and have decided on a bag rated to 45 F. Perhaps our paths will cross......

Hi to you all, I will be walking the Camino Frances starting early September. Thank you for sharing your valuable insight based on your experience.
You guys seem to have enjoyed your camino a great deal. I am looking forward to be living the camino very soon ;)

Enjoy, I walked with a group of Canadians last year be glad to spend time with another
Trevor

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.