• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in SJPP Late Sept/Early Oct?

min200

Good evening everyone.
Well our camino trip got cut short last month due to my good lady wife taking poorly (shes fine now) but this now means I will be doing the Camino Frances in stages.
With that in mind I have decided to start from SJPP (we started in Burgos before and made it to Leon) on my next two week break from the very end of September.

What are your experiences at this time of the year for weather and number of pilgrims please?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Both times on the Frances were during that same time period. Both times, there were only a couple of days of rain. The daytime can be quite warm, and the early mornings can be cool, bordering on cold later into October; but, as morning matured, the temperatures warmed up nicely.. I found the Fall to be to my liking while walking Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dave has summed up the situation precisely.
Autumn is a great time, also the busiest time because of its corresponding crowds, to walk the CF.
Regards, good travelling and Buen Camino,
Gerard

3 times have walked during this period. Once complete and twice 500km sorties. Dave is spot on and Once I had 1 day of rain and another time taking the bus to Santiago from Astorga it poured immediately I got on the bus and most conveniently stopped just as the bus got into Santiago. --) "..because I'm happy..."

I walked SJPP-Roncesvalles in early October. It was moderately cold, foggy in the morning, light rains in the higher part.
Remember that mountain weather is quite unpredictable. And when the pilgrim's bureau says no, it is a no; choose the lower, Valcarlos route instead.
Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked twice starting both times around September 21st. The second time it was raining so hard and it was so windy I waited an extra day to start and was rewarded with a perfect walking day. Overall there was a little rain and a little heat but overall nothing too bad. Keep in mind that this year the long term weather outlook is for an intensely hot, bordering on dangerous heat for the Iberian peninsula this summer. Who knows how hot and for how long these conditions will last. They were talking about 40+C days and hot nights.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies. This is my return to the CF to start after Wifey took ill on our last outing.
I didn't realise it was a busy time of year though! I thought it would have started to quieten down late September/early October?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back