• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather next week... should I change my plans?

jvjourneygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018) Plan is to walk 1/2 this year and the other half next year.
I'm supposed to start hiking my frist camino on Sunday, the 16th of this month and have a reservation in Orrison for that night. However I just checked out the weather and see that it's supposed to be storms with thunder and lightening (all week...). I can't change my flight reservations, so I will be there, walking in some pretty lousy conditions.
I am thinking I should probably scrap my plans for Orrison and walk the safer Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles. I hadn't planned on this at all of course. Looking at the extended forecast, I'm wondering if I should I add an extra thermal top to my pack and a 2nd pair of pants?
I was planning on bringing one merino base layer (top and bottom), 2 poly t shirts, a pair of REI hiking leggings, and some zip off short/pants).
I have a gore tex rain coat, REI rain pants, rain hat, and pair of wool gloves. Anything else I should be thinking about?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you stay at Orrison and the Napoleon Way is closed, or weather is really bad, they will drive you down to the Valcarlos route in the morning.

I walked in March/April (2015), April/May (2018), and in Sept/Oct (2017). The weather was chilly in the morning-- sometimes wet all day. Bring layers. For staying warm and dry: I had a rain jacket, fleece jacket, fleece sweater, long underwear top, camisole for the top. For the bottom half I had a pair of micro fleece lined hiking pants and a lightweight pair of zip off hiking pants/shorts, and then rain pants to pull over them if needed (wind/rain). I usually changed from the warmer pants to the lighter pair as the day warmed up. I also brought a light weight quick drying short sleeve shirt and a button up shirt with sleeves that I could roll up.

I think next time, I'll bring a poncho instead of a rain jacket and pack cover.

Valcarlos route quite nice go with flow and it will work out. Gear list sounds good to me even in storm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What site are you looking at for that forecast? I'm starting the 19th so I kind of have a vested interest! I notice it's lovely and sunny by Pamplona all of that week, but that's about Day 4 and sunny weather there won't help in the hills!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't look too much at the extended forecasts!!!! Remember that it is based on algorithms for likely conditions in that time of year and this far out it does not necessarily hold true.

Both times I hiked the weather called for odd things the first day in the mountains and everything worked out fine. The second time it was wet starting out but cleared up and the most beautiful site was the clouds lifting out of the mountains. I'll never forget it. You will be with other walkers and your clothing looks fine. You can always dry things out at the end of the day if needed.

Buen Camino!!!!!

We’re starting Friday and I’ve been noticing the weather as well. Ian said what’s your problem we’ve hiked in worse. So I’ve picked up my lip which was starting to hang because I’d rather take the cooler weather than the heat. But could be quite humid I think. And we have the layers,although I think I’m carrying too much. My bag is 6kg without water and snacks. And I’d like to take my iPad, so I’ll have to reassess

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We’re starting Friday and I’ve been noticing the weather as well. Ian said what’s your problem we’ve hiked in worse. So I’ve picked up my lip which was starting to hang because I’d rather take the cooler weather than the heat. But could be quite humid I think. And we have the layers,although I think I’m carrying too much. My bag is 6kg without water and snacks. And I’d like to take my iPad, so I’ll have to reassess
That’s the second time I’ve done a double take when reading your comments! It’s the Ian reference. It makes me briefly look up and go huh?! What site are you using for the mountain forecasts. It doesn’t look too bad on the site I use.

That’s the second time I’ve done a double take when reading your comments! It’s the Ian reference. It makes me briefly look up and go huh?! What site are you using for the mountain forecasts. It doesn’t look too bad on the site I use.

It’s the one on the i5. But it’s changing all the time. Usually it’s accurate. So I’ll just check on the day. There’s nothing really that can be done. We’ll just go one step at a time

Go.

You'll never have perfect conditions.

Just go. You'll adjust your way as time, weather, and life on the Way presents itself.

Gaiters may be a good idea to keep rain from running down you legs and into your shoes.

Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm supposed to start hiking my frist camino on Sunday, the 16th of this month and have a reservation in Orrison for that night. However I just checked out the weather and see that it's supposed to be storms with thunder and lightening (all week...). I can't change my flight reservations, so I will be there, walking in some pretty lousy conditions.
I am thinking I should probably scrap my plans for Orrison and walk the safer Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles. I hadn't planned on this at all of course. Looking at the extended forecast, I'm wondering if I should I add an extra thermal top to my pack and a 2nd pair of pants?
I was planning on bringing one merino base layer (top and bottom), 2 poly t shirts, a pair of REI hiking leggings, and some zip off short/pants).
I have a gore tex rain coat, REI rain pants, rain hat, and pair of wool gloves. Anything else I should be thinking about?
Forecast from a local weather station at Burguete

1536606058271.png

If it's wet on the Napoleon it will be just as wet on the Valcarlos but there's a bar in Valcarlos ;)

I really like aemet.es Their sponsorship from Visit-Espana means that their forecasts are always really good ;0) but at least they live in Spain and can look out the window if they want to check the accuracy of their predictions.

The only time you are going to get a reasonably accurate forecast of mountain weather is the day before you climb. And you might want to check that again in the morning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really like aemet.es Their sponsorship from Visit-Espana means that their forecasts are always really good ;0) but at least they live in Spain and can look out the window if they want to check the accuracy of their predictions.

The only time you are going to get a reasonably accurate forecast of mountain weather is the day before you climb. And you might want to check that again in the morning.

What was the name of that lovely lady who ran the refugio in SJPP? Just before I started out I asked her what the weather was going to be (overcast with clouds) and she said a little bit of rain and then some wind so I decided to take Valcarlos. Poured down ALL DAY, everybody got soaked no matter which route they took.

Nah, change the weather ;)

Buen Camino!

Your gear sounds fine for the weather.
Don't be the tallest person when the lightning starts.
Odds for death by lightning strike 1:1,000,000
Odds for death by Traffic Accident 1:5,000

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You'll get wet somewhere between SJPP and Santiago, guaranteed. It comes with the Camino package. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Remember how it was as a kid when you got to go out in the rain? That attitude helps a lot.
Besides, we were all born wet.;)

So go with the flow.
Your gear is fine, and if the weather looks too gnarly for your taste, just take the right fork as you leave town.

What was the name of that lovely lady who ran the refugio in SJPP? Just before I started out I asked her what the weather was going to be (overcast with clouds) and she said a little bit of rain and then some wind so I decided to take Valcarlos. Poured down ALL DAY, everybody got soaked no matter which route they took.
In my experience, locals in general may or may not know where a path goes, or whether it's dangerous to walk, or very muddy at the moment etc but they rarely know what the weather will be like. Or they lie outright ("It has never happened that we've had 14 days of rain like now while you are staying here"). :cool:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Doesn't look too bad.
http://www.viewweather.com/w1781825-weather-forecast-for-col_de_bentarte-spain_general_.html

In my experience, locals in general may or may not know where a path goes, or whether it's dangerous to walk, or very muddy at the moment etc but they rarely know what the weather will be like. Or they lie outright ("It has never happened that we've had 14 days of rain like now while you are staying here"). :cool:
Or "I was in Santiago for two weeks and it only rained twice. Once for six days and once for seven."

I am starting from SJPP on Friday. A few days ago I asked for recommendations for weather sites and was advised to try this: http://www.viewweather.com/w1781825-weather-forecast-for-col_de_bentarte-spain_general_.html . It gives the weather for Col de Bentarte but you can substitute anywhere. It looks as if it may rain during Saturday night but not on Sunday. On that basis you'll be ok, but the forecasts do change from day to day.
You may check this one too:
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/
Click/tap on the desired Camino and they choose the vilčlage either alphabetically or as they follow the route.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed at Orisson in 2017 and the day was gorgeous. In the morning, started raining about 8am, then thunder, lighting, sideways rain, hail and sleet. By the time we got to just before the Spain/France border, it was just cloudy. Yes, pay attention and ask the hospitaleros at Orisson for their weather advice - and then, take their advice.

Two weeks before I started the Via de la Plata the temperatures in that part of Spain went up to 50 degrees Celsius. Luckily they dropped to around 40 degrees (still very hot, but managable, walking at 5am by the light of the full moon and using a GPS device not having to depend on seeimg the arrows). But I already had a backup plan: checked out flights from Seville to Bilbao (Camino del Norte) and Lisbon (Camino Portugues). My point being: a camino should be something to enjoy (including some rain, yes) and to return from alive and unharmed (not counting blisters. If the weather conditions on the spot prove to be to unsafe or unpredictable it might also be an option to take bus to Roncesvalles or Pamplona. And don't let anyone tell you that only climbing the Pyrenees makes you a true pilgrim. It doesn't. It's not a competition and you don't have to prove anything to anyone. I'm now on my 4th camino and met a lot of pilgrims walking their camino in their own way. In my book there are a 1000 ways of being a pilgrim and not one is better or worse than the other ones.
Just make sure that your Camino will be one to remember for the right reasons!!
And now: enjoy yourself and 'go take a walk'.
;)

So does this mean that you asked for their weather advice and were told to go, despite thunder and lightening? I'm really curious ... from my albeit limited interactions with locals both at Orisson and SJPP in two different years I got the impression that they don't seem to be worried about the danger during thunderstorms ... which doesn't cease to amaze me.

And now that we are closer to the OP's date (16 and 17 September 2018), the forecast for the Col de Bentarte looks actually great for those two days.
Actually, we didn't ask. I just looked cloudy when we started and then went downhill from there. There is a mobile cafe about halfway to the border. We kind of hunkered down there. The thunder was pretty far off. We walked so fast that we were the first 3 pilgrims at the monastery at Roncesvalles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed at Orisson in 2017 and the day was gorgeous. In the morning, started raining about 8am, then thunder, lighting, sideways rain, hail and sleet. By the time we got to just before the Spain/France border, it was just cloudy. Yes, pay attention and ask the hospitaleros at Orisson for their weather advice - and then, take their advice.
For those staying at Orisson - there is no need to rush out of St Jean in the morning. You will only get up to Orisson with not much to do. Better to send a leisurely morning, enjoy breakfast, look around the town, then start out around 10 or 11. You will still arrive well before dinner.

Take th advice from the folks in th Pilgrim Office and in Orisson. Also, if caught in thunder and lightening in th open, you should curl up in a ball close to the ground. As to rain, if it is raining on the Napoleon route it is raining on the Valcarlos Route. Embrace your Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The weather changes constantly, especially up in the mountains. Just go. You're going to be fine!

There are microclimates in the mountains. Weather changes fast. You may not know what the weather will be until 8hrs before that time. Plan as normal but be flexible.

The weather changes all the time. The blessings and lifetime friendships you make in Orisson will surpass any rain you endure. Our first 3 days were driving rain, even sleet up and over the Pyrenees. We must have paid our dues because not a drop of rain the rest of the way to Santiago. We met people at Orisson that became our camino family over the next 6 weeks. We did not know it at the time...but we kept meeting up with folks on the walk, in a bar, in an alburgue...and the next thing you know - they are great friends.

All your gear sounds great, so go with your plans. If they do say go the original Valcarlos way I've chosen to do it 2016, 17 & 18 . It has a fantastic Albergue where you get the secret code from the town bar. The country paths are stunning, not much road walking and very steep on last 5 klms to Ibaneta Pass. It is lots of fun and I take two days to ease into the CF. My son did it too fast and strained his Achilles heel so take it easy. I've also walked in two thunder/lightning storms and wouldn't do that again. I would rather lose a day or half a day to avoid that .....You lucky thing, burn Camino.

I think I am skipping SJPdP this time based on the forecast of weather. I will start out of Pamplona.
Something to consider, my friend from Taipei started in Pamplona and walked every step of the way to SC....she just regretted not giving the Pyrenees Mt. challenge a go. She also couldn't claim the 799 klms certificate at the end so she says she'll have to do the CF again.
Beun Camino
Miki

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

There has been a thousand forum conversations spent on this .........please decide and just walk,
A week later you may ask ..............what was all that worrying about,
Make a decision kid

I left Orisson last year in absolutely yucky rainy/fog/windy conditions and saw nothing but my shoes the entire day. At least 8 people were rescued. (That said, they were idiots. Totally unprepared, inexperienced, and left Orisson in late afternoon). If you are an experienced hiker with good gear and wits about you then just GO. It will be part of your Camino experience.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back