• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather now on the Camino Frances

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Is it still cold enough to make gloves and a fleece worth bringing?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would carry a light fleece, but it really depends on your combination of layers. I have some very light glove liners that I like to have on hand too (lucky pun) but you could probably just rely on spare socks if it gets cold.

If you head out very early it can still be cold and gloves are a good idea. However by 9 or 10 AM you will have discarded them !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi Stephen, I always bring a fleece and lightweight lambswood gloves, and I always walk in May or June. I remember walking from Sevilla in early May a few years ago and wearing my gloves every morning till 10 or 11 for the first few weeks, so it just depends. Lambswood gloves are also great if you find yourself in a long cold rain, because they will continue to warm your hands even when soaked.

If you are the person who always wears a sweater inside in airconditioned rooms, or who always puts on the extra blanket while your partner is comfortable without it, you are on my side of the spectrum. It is such a personal thing, that body temperature, but I have never regretted carrying both the fleece and gloves even in summer time.

Buen camino, Laurie

Where? You will be crossing 450 miles of sea level and mountains. It can be chilly almost any day at higher elevations, particularly in April and May.;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am at Puente de Reina right now. Left Cizur Menor this morning at 0715 wearing beanie hat, gloves, short sleeve, icebreaker, long sleeve icebreaker, and long sleeve nylon shirt. After about 5k I shed the hat, gloves and long sleeve IB but kept the nylon on all day. It's been very windy and cool today. I've left every morning the same way. Usually I shed the nylon as well, but not today. Usually I dislike the sun, but today it actually felt good.

KinkyOne,
thank you for that website. I've been wondering how the weather is

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am at Puente de Reina right now. Left Cizur Menor this morning at 0715 wearing beanie hat, gloves, short sleeve, icebreaker, long sleeve icebreaker, and long sleeve nylon shirt. After about 5k I shed the hat, gloves and long sleeve IB but kept the nylon on all day. It's been very windy and cool today. I've left every morning the same way. Usually I shed the nylon as well, but not today. Usually I dislike the sun, but today it actually felt good.
If you meet an Aussie name of Andy say hi for me.
Buen Camino
Keith

Hi, I'm leaving the meseta and it's cold and windy. If wind stops, the sun warms enough to weat just a shirt but it's basically cold, windy, sunny and dry here in Leon.

Not a drop of rain in 19 days from St. Jean (starting 4/6)! Mostly warm days to hot days on the Meseta, with cool evenings and some mornings near freezing. So, all gear had been used for warmth, if not rain. Very lucky so far, perhaps a little rain coming Wednesday, but after that we clear up again, heading west from Leon. Wooo hooo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in Punte la Reina now having walked from SJPP. The weather was cold enough in the mornings to make me thankful I'd brought the gloves and the fleece. But as the days go on it's getting quite warm.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back