• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather on Camino Frances during September

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've found weatherspark.com very helpful for all kinds of average temperatures -- highs, lows, rainfall, cloud-cover, etc. Just plug in various towns along the Camino and select the month, and you should be good to go.

First, the Camino spans nearly 500 miles, so there is not a single weather being experienced. You need to check points along the way. This is Burgos, where you can look at historical weather there during each month:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LEBG/2018/2/26/DailyHistory.html?cm_ven=localwx_history

Second, the weather will be exactly the same as in previous years, but on different days. :)

Third, will you not go if there will be weather? Since it changes, you will need to be prepared to hot, cold, rain, and wind. That is pretty much for all months because there is high elevation along the way, and mornings can be cold even if it will be blistering hot in the daytime.

September is one of the best months for weather, though, so I think you will enjoy it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked in October and I usually started out wearing light-weight leggings, long technical pants, and if it was very chilly or rainy, rain pants. As well as a light merino t-shirt, a mid-weight merino pullover, a mid-weight fleece, and, again depending on wind and rain/drizzle, a rain shell. As well as a merino buff.

By mid-day, I was sometimes down to the t-shirt and leggins, more often to the layer above. Then I'd find myself re-layering as the day went on and the temperature dropped.

September may be much warmer. Then again, maybe not. Be prepared for everything. :)

I chose to restart my Spanish way in October as the historic day time range was reported as between 15 c and 20 c.

What I got in October 2018 was a first week of 25 c to 30 c. Starting around 07h helped but the heat built up qute quickly during the morning.

Surprisingly the only rain in nearly four weeks on the way was a morning of persistent drizzle on leaving Leon (plus the day before, a lay day for me in Leon).

@marie nola , you also ask about clothing. This is most problematic as we all feel heat and cold differently. And our sartorial traditions for rambling, hiking, tramping garb differ greatly around the world, I have found.

I do not wear or carry any longs. My year round preference is either shorts or a light weight kilt like garment made of polyester or similar material. Because of varicose veins I wear pressure hose then ankle socks and cheap ($2 shop) "pressure bandage" between ankle and knee. This was discovered by trial and error and came out of my local tramping tradition. It works for me for over many long trips in all seasons except the worst of weather (when I dont go out). I ignore the side looks. It is my camino, not theirs.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What is the average temperature on the Camino Frances during September early October? Is it too hot to wear thin polyester sweatpants to hike or sleep in?
I started my first Camino on 1/9/16. It was really really hot for the first two weeks, then we had some cooler days and some rain, but still pretty warm mainly. I have noticed in Spain, that the temperature can drop (or rise) dramatically quite quickly - One minute a light T shirt is too much, the next minute you want your light puffer jacket. Layers are the answer. The mornings can be cool but by midday it can be really hot again, and you strip off as you go.

We walked early Sept through mid October last fall. Rained like crazy for the first three days. Not one drop any day thereafter. Mornings were cool in high 40s to low 50s. Daytime reached mid to high 70s most days. Meseta was warmer. Layers in am started with long legs and light fleece or long sleves, shed the trouser legs and fleece by mid morning. Cap or buff for your head and ears and light gloves were nice some mornings. Nights were cool but not cold. Advice on layers is sound.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my first Camino on 1/9/16. It was really really hot for the first two weeks, then we had some cooler days and some rain, but still pretty warm mainly. I have noticed in Spain, that the temperature can drop (or rise) dramatically quite quickly - One minute a light T shirt is too much, the next minute you want your light puffer jacket. Layers are the answer. The mornings can be cool but by midday it can be really hot again, and you strip off as you go.
Hola pilgrim! We started on the same day and yes it was really really hot. Be prepared for anything!!!

What is the average temperature on the Camino Frances during September early October? Is it too hot to wear thin polyester sweatpants to hike or sleep in?
Been out twice in September. Both times very warm but cooled as the month went on. But still quite warm. September 2016 was the hottest month of the year or so the locals told me. On both occasions, I got 2 days of continuous rain

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back