• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather on the Ingles

Singingheart

Kathy Dahm
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I'm walking the Camino Ingles at the first of October this year, with a plan for an 8 day walk to Santiago, followed by a walk to Finisterre. I'm 77, I've walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP and the Portuguese Camino, as well as the British Coast to Coast Walk (last September). I carried my full pack on the CF and the PC, but I had a day pack and a transport service for the C2C. Now, on the Ingles, I'm going to carry my full pack again, but I'm not getting any younger, so I'm wanting to pare down any unnecessary baggage. So here's my question: Will I need light-weight gloves and/or a lightweight knit cap on the Ingles (followed by the Camino Finisterre) in the first two weeks of October? I found them useful occasionally on the CF in October, in the higher elevations., and I did use them on the C2C, but I'm wondering if the weather on the Ingles in early October is relatively mild. I realize that it's not much weight, but every little ounce counts, especially the older one gets. Many thanks for any advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Remember that daylight saving time in does not end until late October in Spain. Galicia is also in the wrong timezone so in October the sun will not rise until nearly 09:00 in the Ferrol/Coruna area. Sun set will also be around 19:30. so unless you like walking in the dark, my advise would be to breakfast late and finish early.
When I did my five day walk in September it rained for four days.
I usually use finger less cycling gloves, but mainly because I use hiking poles and they reduce abrasion on my skin. I always use an Austrian wool felt hat in all seasons, It provides shade in summer and soaks up perspiration. In bad weather it keeps your head an neck dry. use thin layers to build up protection for your body and have a merino style thin fleece (plus spare in case you get drenched) that will provide heat retention under your outer jacket if it is cold.

Remember that daylight saving time in does not end until late October in Spain. Galicia is also in the wrong timezone so in October the sun will not rise until nearly 09:00 in the Ferrol/Coruna area. Sun set will also be around 19:30. so unless you like walking in the dark, my advise would be to breakfast late and finish early.
When I did my five day walk in September it rained for four days.
I usually use finger less cycling gloves, but mainly because I use hiking poles and they reduce abrasion on my skin. I always use an Austrian wool felt hat in all seasons, It provides shade in summer and soaks up perspiration. In bad weather it keeps your head an neck dry. use thin layers to build up protection for your body and have a merino style thin fleece (plus spare in case you get drenched) that will provide heat retention under your outer jacket if it is cold.
This is such good information! Many thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked the Inglés twice in October and found the temperature to be mild and have had rain and fog about one third of the days. I find it to be a beautiful time to walk and the Galicians to be warm and hospitable if you start the conversation. I seldom find any that speak english though. When I walked in October 2015 I spoke maybe 10 words of English in 5 days and only saw 7 pilgrims. In 2017 there were 10 times as many pilgrims and most of them spoke English but none of the locals did.

Hi, I'm walking the Camino Ingles at the first of October this year, with a plan for an 8 day walk to Santiago, followed by a walk to Finisterre. I'm 77, I've walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP and the Portuguese Camino, as well as the British Coast to Coast Walk (last September). I carried my full pack on the CF and the PC, but I had a day pack and a transport service for the C2C. Now, on the Ingles, I'm going to carry my full pack again, but I'm not getting any younger, so I'm wanting to pare down any unnecessary baggage. So here's my question: Will I need light-weight gloves and/or a lightweight knit cap on the Ingles (followed by the Camino Finisterre) in the first two weeks of October? I found them useful occasionally on the CF in October, in the higher elevations., and I did use them on the C2C, but I'm wondering if the weather on the Ingles in early October is relatively mild. I realize that it's not much weight, but every little ounce counts, especially the older one gets. Many thanks for any advice.
Most likely. We walked it in July and had temps in the 60's.

It looks like May and October average temperatures are similar.
I have always carried a pair of light weight silk gloves and a lightweight pair of rain over-trousers (Regatta). They were useful for keeping the cold wind off when first walking in the morning and easy to remove as I warmed up. i just made sure when I bought them that they would come off (or go on) without having to remove my boots. Meant buying a size larger than I would wear normally and I tried them on in the shop.
Hat - my Tilley hat kept sun off as well as wind so I did not need anything else.
If you are in the UK you could try Millets, Cotswold Outdoor etc and if in the Peak District 'The Old Barn' in Castleton.
Sorry part of this is really answer to a different thread, but I'll leave it here anyway.:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think @Marcus-UK is about 30 minutes out on the sunrise/sunset times. If you are prepared to walk from dawn (civil twilight) you should be able to start a bit after 8 am in early October. Check the civil twilight times here for details.

Otherwise, I agree with his advice.

I think @Marcus-UK is about 30 minutes out on the sunrise/sunset times. If you are prepared to walk from dawn (civil twilight) you should be able to start a bit after 8 am in early October. Check the civil twilight times here for details.

Otherwise, I agree with his advice.
At the begining of the month 1st of October, Sun Rise is 08:35. In Late October i.e. the 26th Sun Rise is 09:00. After this day light saving time ends and the clocks fall back an hour. Civil twilight is approximately half an hour earlier/later for sun rise and sun set. It is hard to be concise for a tilted rotating object moving in an elipse around a celestial body.

It is hard to be concise for a tilted rotating object moving in an elipse around a celestial body.
I always thought it was astrological predictions that were highly variable, whereas the science of astronomy has given us the wherewithal to accurately predict the motion of a wide range of celestial objects, including very precise calculations of sunrise and sunset times, tides, etc, etc.

For example, look at suncalc.net for what can be done using standard astronomical calculations.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always thought it was astrological predictions that were highly variable, whereas the science of astronomy has given us the wherewithal to accurately predict the motion of a wide range of celestial objects, including very precise calculations of sunrise and sunset times, tides, etc, etc.

For example, look at suncalc.net for what can be done using standard astronomical calculations.
Concise v Precise.
Precise - Possibly too long and too detailed
Concise short and informative.
Bad Concise: Off again, On Again, Going Again - Report by Scottish railway engineer to his board of directors who complained his reports were too long.

Concise v Precise.
Precise - Possibly too long and too detailed
Concise short and informative.
Bad Concise: Off again, On Again, Going Again - Report by Scottish railway engineer to his board of directors who complained his reports were too long.
You are right, I did misinterpret your comment to be about precision. I should have been more careful!

Hello my Friend !
I've found a solution that has worked great for me...my merino wool lightweight long sleeve shirt that has extended sleeves and a thumbhole to cover your hands on chilly mornings. No need to pack gloves. This link is just an example, but there are many brands...I found it to be a great investment !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back