• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather on the Norte and Primitivo in September and October

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
I have my plane ticket from Boston to Bilbao on September 2nd. Upon arrival I will take the bus back to Deba where I stopped last May (2018) due to illness. This time I am giving myself two months to stroll on to Oveido where I will then take the Primitivo on to Santiago. I intend to spend several days sightseeing in Lugo, Oviedo and Bilbao and of course any place else that strikes my fancy. What can I expect to experience for weather at this time of year? I am fully prepared to supplement my clothing to fit weather conditions and will start out with summer weather gear initially. This will be my sixth time hiking in Spain, thrice on the Camino and twice hiking parts of the GR11 in the Pyrenees.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked from Irun to SdC last year starting on 3 September, and finishing on 30 October. We dipped down to Oviedo, but went back to the Norte at Avilés.
Past performance is not an indicator of future performance, but we had 3 days rain early in September, then beautiful weather until mid October, when we had 8 days rain and overcast weather until the end. It was raining heavily as we walked past Monte do Gozo, but we had a ray of sunshine as we came into Praza de Obradoiro.
Buen Camino

I have my plane ticket from Boston to Bilbao on September 2nd. Upon arrival I will take the bus back to Deba where I stopped last May (2018) due to illness. This time I am giving myself two months to stroll on to Oveido where I will then take the Primitivo on to Santiago. I intend to spend several days sightseeing in Lugo, Oviedo and Bilbao and of course any place else that strikes my fancy. What can I expect to experience for weather at this time of year? I am fully prepared to supplement my clothing to fit weather conditions and will start out with summer weather gear initially. This will be my sixth time hiking in Spain, thrice on the Camino and twice hiking parts of the GR11 in the Pyrenees.
I walked the North last year in September and October.
Other than the last two weeks the weather was great.
The last two weeks some rain and very cool mornings.
The hiking was good and I warmed up within an hour after starting off.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back