• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather over Pyrenees April 15,2023

Diane2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello Again 🥾
How can I check the weather in the Pyrenees? I’m suppose to start my walk from st jean pied de port this Saturday April 15th 2023 and my app says 70% chance of rain in St Jean . Is that also the chance of rain I should expect in the Pyrenees? Sunday it says Sunny no rain . Im currently trying to chance my reservation in Roncesvalles 🤦🏻‍♀️
I really don’t want to walk over Pyrenees in the rain for 5 hours since it’not suppose to stop until 2:30 pm
Thank you 🙏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a storm hitting this area over the next few days, but the forecast is always in flux because of the combination of high altitude and being near the coast. Always expect rain during these Spring months, plus the possibility of snow and wind.

If you change your reservation, you run the risk of simply walking in the rain on another day.

my app says 70% chance of rain in St Jean . Is that also the chance of rain I should expect in the Pyrenees?
Well, my app says today, Thursday, this for Saturday (and it is not for the whole of the Pyrenees but for the Bentarte pass which is on the higher part of the Route Napoleon and which is probably your question):

On Saturday it will be cloudy and rainy. The sun will not be visible. A very high chance of precipitation near 90% is forecast. Temperatures peaking at 5 °C. At night and for the afternoon blows a light breeze (7 to 12 km/h). Before noon light air is noticeable (1 to 7 km/h). Gusts to 65 km/h are possible. … The weather forecast for Collado de Bentarte for Saturday can be accurate in parts but deviations are expected. Check again for latest updates.

My app also has a visual for the currently expected cloud/fog cover on Saturday for the pass and its surroundings: very dense, lasting nearly all day, and very low, reaching the ground. IOW, up there it will be cold, and wet, and you can’t see a thing. However: Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Check the day before and you can always walk the other Valcarlos route if it is not safe to walk the higher route. Stay safe!

Iraty webcam, Thursday, 13 April 2023, 14:40. Same altitude as the passes on Valcarlos and Napoleon routes and about 20 km to the east. Low visibility, some fresh snow. According to weather app, temperature around freezing point today, felt temperature around -8 °C. PS: Of course, it was already known yesterday that the snowfall line is expected to sink to 1000 metres so this will not come as a surprise to any pilgrim in SJPP and in Roncesvalles and in between …

Current forecast for the 15th: similar weather, except less snow and more rain.

1681389774194.png

Last edited:
The adage often used to describe why Pays Basque is so green. It rains all of the time there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

News video from today. Ibañeta pass (on Valcarlos and Napoleon routes), Roncesvalles, pilgrims, pilgrim footsteps in the snow.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Those photos/video are a great reference for anyone asking if they need to bring a sleeping bag this time of year... I saw to my dismay yesterday on my weather app that it was snowing in Roncesvalles. And noticed that the temperatures all along the CF were quite cold (8-10 degrees). This is after being lulled into a false sense of security about a week ago when I was seeing temperatures up to 20 degrees in some parts.

Conversation on the Facebook page of the Pilgrim Welcome Office in SJPP, 2 hours ago (translated into English):

Question from hospitaleros further away:
Is it true that the Pyrenees are closed today?

Answer from pilgrim office:
The Pyrenees are not closed but the weather is bad.

🫤

The weather forecast for Collado de Bentarte for Saturday can be accurate in parts but deviations are expected. Check again for latest updates.
The predictability factor for tomorrow Saturday has improved in the meantime in my preferred weather app. It now says: The weather forecast for Collado de Bentarte for Saturday is likely to be accurate.

IOW, it is likely to rain on the pass on the Route Napoleon and in the vicinity, and at times it is likely to be a lot of rain, and it is unlikely to be warm rain, and you are very unlikely to see the snow-covered tops of the higher Pyrenees further away nor the lush green valleys nearby. Not sure about the horses and the sheep - they may be frolicking less than they do when the weather is better. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am in the albergue of Roncesvalles at the moment. Yesterday morning we had snow in the Pyrenees, and the rest of the day pouring rain. Today rain again, pilgrims arrive in the albergue cold and wet, so be prepared with poncho and adequate rain protection for your backpack!

@Ianinam Is the Roncesvalles albergue very busy? I saw photos on Facebook yesterday of quite large numbers waiting for the train in Bayonne and outside the SJPDP pilgrim office.

It is quite busy and will be busier tomorrow. Due to the strikes in France there were no trains last Thursday, so many people had to rebook
their treinticket.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Ianinam Is the Roncesvalles albergue very busy? I saw photos on Facebook yesterday of quite large numbers waiting for the train in Bayonne and outside the SJPDP pilgrim office.
All I can say is that all the direct trains to Bayonne from Paris were sold out yesterday . I had to take a train de-tour through Bordeaux and then to Biarritz then to Bayonne 8 hours later arrived to st jean pied de port 🤦🏻‍♀️Line wasn’t bad at 3 pm for Pilgram offices Rained all afternoon off and on sprinkles cloud skies. Glad I brought my. Rain pants !

ED55E11F-D324-49AA-AAA2-0E8D1493772E.jpeg3B6CF832-E1F3-4B45-A9A5-E5FFA79BC1ED.jpeg0DC390D6-68D0-4EAA-AE77-03E35A7D7798.jpeg91C85BB9-707E-4F30-A1A3-00254410566F.jpegEEAF1F3B-95AE-484D-9E31-7788A67D347C.jpeg
C192A601-BA00-4D0D-B5E0-80F15D010695.jpeg89A4D31D-C8E5-4137-8F75-8848A0BAE0F2.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1145.MOV
    13.1 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Again 🥾
How can I check the weather in the Pyrenees? I’m suppose to start my walk from st jean pied de port this Saturday April 15th 2023 and my app says 70% chance of rain in St Jean . Is that also the chance of rain I should expect in the Pyrenees? Sunday it says Sunny no rain . Im currently trying to chance my reservation in Roncesvalles 🤦🏻‍♀️
I really don’t want to walk over Pyrenees in the rain for 5 hours since it’not suppose to stop until 2:30 pm
Thank you 🙏
Hi Again !
Made it to St Jean pied de port and glad I brought my rain pants 👍Rain all day off and on sprinkles and cloud my skies but not too cold at least in the village . I decided to start the Pyrenees on Sunday when the sun is suppose to appear 🙏 Attached are some photos of my first day ! Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi again, @Diane2023. I was wondering what you had decided to do ☺️.

Great photos + video clip! Just curious: are you using an app to create these compositions?

I personally think that you made a good decision by waiting until tomorrow. People cross over to Roncesvalles in all kinds of weather but I personally think why walk higher than necessary in miserable weather (i.e. Napoleon instead of Valcarlos) when there is nothing to see up there? The best - far - view is near the statue of the Virgin Mary. Higher up the view to the distant Pyrenean mountain tops are obscured by the nearby hills. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi again, @Diane2023. I was wondering what you had decided to do ☺️.

Great photos + video clip! Just curious: are you using an app to create these compositions?

I personally think that you made a good decision by waiting until tomorrow. People cross over to Roncesvalles in all kinds of weather but I personally think why walk higher than necessary in miserable weather (i.e. Napoleon instead of Valcarlos) when there is nothing to see up there? The best - far - view is near the statue of the Virgin Mary. Higher up the view to the distant Pyrenean mountain tops are obscured by the nearby hills. Buen Camino!
Thank you ! The app is called PicFrame

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.