Search 69,459 Camino Questions

weather, September Primitivo

Jinny2014

hi, camino friends

I am writing first post.
thesedays looking for other's post. very useful, thanks for your comments, opinions.

I will walk to Primitivo at Sep. (during 15days, Oviedo-Santiago or Lugo)
I heard most of pilgrims walk at Spring, Summer..
how's the weather at Sep? mist , rain, sunshine, cloudy....

I walked Camino France 2007, 2008.
lovely Spain's sunshine, so when I arrived at Santiago my face became seriously dark :))

sometimes worry about hill, albergue's distance, and so on.
but just try, just enjoy walk,..

sorry, my english very poor.

have a nice day~ Buen Camino.

from. Jinny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Jinny,

I started out from Leon in late September last year, walked to Oviedo on the Camino del Salvador (that would add 4 or 5 days to the walk but is an amazing stretch), and then on to Santiago on the Primitivo. The weather was terrific, though we did wake up one morning to snow capped mountains in the distance. I definitely got a lot of use out of my fleece, and occasionally found that my very lightweight sleeping bag was not enough to keep me warm. But the albergues all had extra blankets.

I know that Kevin and Kari from this forum intended to start out on the Primitivo a few weeks later, but the bad weather made them regroup and rethink it, and they wound up going back down to the Camino Frances from Leon.

If last year is any indicator, the weather should be sunny, cool, and great for walking in September, but of course you never know. Not many people, but enough to form a connection and your own little group. I think you'll love it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Laurie

really thanks, Laurie

your reply <Not many people, but enough to form a connection and your own little group.>
that's a good point. thanks.

before decision I thought much of times the problem. frankly speaking still some worry.
everyday change my mind. more easy or not, more comfortable or not, more people or not
so blah blah... writing on board. and want to hear view from former experienced.
thanks for camino friends :wink:

I repetedly realized though various posts and reply <finally decision only my choice>
"nevertheless...I want to go there..." need to my belief.

anyway, because didn't the way, don't know about all.(some fear, some worry..)
after walked the way, would know a part of the way.
it's just my hope.. :)

now, go more looking for about the way~

thanks, Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi, thanks evanlow

your link very useful. thanks so much.

last year oneday walked about 40km in rain.
sure that is a part of Camino too, but very tired reached albergue rightly knockdown..

fortunately, the weather maybe good at Sep.. also my hope.
I heard the region's height more over another route, various change weather.
so take a good raincoat..

have to light backpack, but plus equipments after all big size ...
how's the size water bottle? I would take 1L and 350ml, Do I need to more size?

thanks, evanlow and Camino friends.

Buen Camino
Jinny.

The reason why I mentioned the rain is that I know pilgrims that gave up the primitivo last year because of heavy rain and mud.

Camino Primitivo in the mountains have lots of shade thanks to the trees. No mesatas, but not many fountains. Get water from the tap when you arrive at a town. I had one 1 liter and one 500 ml bottle. It is enough.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Peregrinos,
I need some advice about the above camino-I plan doing it in a months time the last week in August-for 2 weeks. Not sure exactley where I start from-the official start place is it Valleviciosa or Oviedo.
Also does anyone with experience of walking this camino know what the weather is like this time of year-end of August beginning of September-gracias.
I don't know how to post this to the general forum-I seem to only be able to post on someone elses reply-can anyone help me-advise how I do this-thanks

Hi, sunieme,

There is no official starting point for the Camino Primito, but many start in Oviedo. If you have more time, or if you can get to Villaviciosa easier than to Oviedo, that's a fine place to start as well. Many people start in Irun, walk the Camino del Norte to Villaviciosa and then head south to Oviedo. It's going to depend on your travel arrangements and how much time you have.

End of August-beginning of Sept. could be hot. Probably less chance of rain. I walked the camino primitivo starting in early October in 2009 and it was generally warm enough (snow in the mountains) and no rain. But who knows what fall 2012 will bring.

I am hardly one to give technological advice, but for you what you ask, it's pretty simple. Go to the general forum page: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/">http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/</a>

Scroll through the list to find the topic you want to post under which in your case is camino primitivo, camino-primitivo/

That brings up the list of all posts on the Camino Primitivo, so scrolling through them might be something you'd want to do.

But if you are at that place, you can see at the top of the long list of individual postings/topics, above "announcements", over on the left there is a "new topic" button. Click it and you will be able to post a new topic.

Hope this helps, but if not, some of the more tech savvy people will be able to help you out.

Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hi, sunieme

Camino Primitivo is beautiful road.
Oviedo is a good start point. municipal albergue is medium size. (Sep 15.2009 full)
but don't worry, there is big city, various hostel, restaurant and antique catedral etc

mountain area is more chilly at morning better than city.
and walk from Grado to Salas, prepare fullfill water. especially from Cornellana.
Primitivo arrow is very well, you don't lose way.
and so incresingly peregrino in summer, not alone walk the road.

good luck, buen camino :)

jinny

Primitivo

Hello can anyone tell me how to get from Santiago to Villavicosa to start the camino primitivo-is there direct buses?

Hi, I think that most people who are starting to walk on the Primitivo (as opposed to starting on the Norte in Irun and connecting with the Primitivo) start in Oviedo, which is easy to get to.

But if you want to start in Villaviciosa, there appear to be 9 buses a day from Oviedo to Villaviciosa, about an hour ride. From Santiago to Oviedo is between 4 3/4 and 8 hours on bus depending on the bus, and there are 5 a day. I got all of this on the Alsa.es website, you should check those two legs to coordinate times.

I'm not sure about trains, but I think the FEVE runs through or near Villaviciosa. I would check for both RENFE trains and FEVE trains (FEVE is a narrow gauge train, not part of the general rail system, I believe).

Good luck with this. Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola!
To add to Peregrina's reply:-
The buses from Santiago to Oviedo are good as Peregrina 2000 says, most go through Leon and you might have a change there. You can check ALSA buses on the internet although the site is not particularly user friendly. You need to know the starting and ending points of the journey, but if it only shows 2 buses try putting Santiago Leon rather than Oviedo, then Leon - Oviedo. I assume you want to make the journey as quickly as possible.
The alternative is the bus to Ferrol and the 7 hour journey round the coast on the FEVE to Oviedo - only 2 trains through per day, one early morning the other in the afternoon. (You can check these online too) If you have time it is a beautiful ride.
Good hostal (Pension Oviedo) opposite the station above the Cafe Cristina.
The FEVE does not go to Villaviciosa as it runs up the next valley through Arriondas to Ribadasella, so the only option here is the bus from Oviedo. They are very helpful at the information/booking desk in the bus station.
Bus and train stations are very close together on the same main road in Oviedo.
The Primitivo is wonderful :)
Buen Camino

Villaviciosa tiene mejor comunicación con Gijón que con Oviedo. Yo iría de Santiago a Gijón y de Gijón a Villaviciosa.

ALSA

Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 06:30 07:05 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 07:00 07:45 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 08:00 08:35 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 08:00 08:45 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 08:15 08:45 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 09:00 09:45 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 09:00 10:00 SD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 10:00 10:35 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 10:00 11:00 SD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 11:00 11:45 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 12:00 12:30 SD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 12:00 12:35 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 13:00 13:45 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 14:00 14:45 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 14:30 15:05 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 15:00 15:45 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 16:00 16:35 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 17:00 17:45 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 17:00 18:00 SD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 18:00 18:35 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 19:00 19:45 LMXJVSD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 20:00 20:35 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 20:00 20:45 SD
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 21:00 21:45 LMXJV
Gijón / Xixón Villaviciosa 22:30 23:15 LMXJVSD

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, I think that most people who are starting to walk on the Primitivo (as opposed to starting on the Norte in Irun and connecting with the Primitivo) start in Oviedo, which is easy to get to.

just to put the case for the defence for starting in Villaviciosa..
As other threads have described - hostal cafe de sol is a fine, welcoming character-ful place to stay and you'll get a friendly welcome from café colon where you can pick up your credencial (as well as delicious sweets). There's plenty of good paces to eat nearby and to take breakfast before you set out. The two days into Oviedo won't be the most breathtaking of your camino but they're OK: going via the Valdedios monastery is good and the climb up the valley afterwards will be the first test (of many) of your legs and lungs. The unstaffed albergue at La Vega is fine and there's plenty of good food just across the road - and a couple of grocery stores too. The next day the walk into Oviedo is a lot of road and suburbs but it's still nice to arrive in Oviedo striding up the hill on the pilgrim's path.
cheers, tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with all that Tom says. Especially the point about being able to visit Valdedios, which is itself worth the walk from Villaviciosa to Oviedo. It is an incredible church in a beautiful location. And the walk up, as Tom says, is a good introduction to a bit of elevation gain.

My point was only that if it's much more complicated to get to Villaviciosa than to Oviedo, it's fine to start in Oviedo, and in fact most people starting the Primitivo do start there.

The only other thing I'd add is that if you walk to Oviedo from Villaviciosa, you shouldn't let the people in the albergue in Pola de Siero scare you out of walking the Hospitales route. When I walked the Primitivo this past June, I was walking with three young peregrinos who had been in that albergue and were warned over and over that they shouldn't attempt the Hospitales crossing because it was dangerous, etc etc. Hospitales is more remote than the alternative, but it is no more strenuous and has the same elevation gain. My advice would be (though you didn't ask me anything about Hospitales, :mrgreen: ) -- don't walk alone, don't go that way if there is a lot of snow, and don't go that way if visibility is less than 10 feet. Otherwise, you will be fine, the markings are so close to each other that it is very hard to lose your way. Just bring food and water, because there's nothing between Campiello and Lago. Sorry about the tangent.

Buen camino, Laurie

The other thing to consider about Hospitales is the actual distance you have to walk between albergues. The alternative route has shorter stages if needed. We chose the alternative stopping, at Pola de Allande before going on to Berducedo next day.

spot on advice about Hospitales from Laurie.
And Tia is also has a point - you are going to have to walk an absolute minimum of around 24km between albergues on Hospitales. That may be too much for some whereas I think via Pola, about 16km minimum?

Another sidetrack - speaking of monasteries, I thought the short detour to Obona was well worth the little extra walking. When I was there last year you were free to roam through the deserted buildings and it was very atmospheric.
Also these amazing characters were there, inc a wonderful St Roch
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_ ... /lightbox/
cheers, tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I think that if you stay in Pola de Allande, you have either 16 to Berducedo or 20 to La Mesa.

The other comparison I'd make is that the ascent from Pola de Allande to the Puerto de Palo is very different from the ascent to the puerto/pass via Hospitales. Leaving Pola de Allande, the way up is almost non-stop through beautiful green tunnels, on the side of a stream. The ascent to Hospitales is more open, less vegetation, but more views (at least if you're not fogged in!).

Tia, where did you stay in Berducedo? The choice in June of this year was the municipal albergue (10 beds) or the private casa rural, which looked really nice. We had heard that the casa rural also had a private albergue section, but the members of our group who went to sleep there got put in rooms that cost them each about 25 or 30. Do you know if they do indeed have a private albergue?

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. loved your pictures, Tom. What is the very modern building between Valdedios and Oviedo? I don't think I ever saw it, though I've walked that way.

Hola Laurie,
We walked the road for the first part from Pola de Allande, due to the wet and following advice from the locals. This meant we could see the views and were not in the valley bottoms. We then climbed the marked Camino up Puerto de Palo on a lovely clear day so continued on the track down to Berducedo.
In Berducedo we stayed at the Casa Antigua, in a double room costing about 35 euros (in May) including breakfast. We were in the main house, up the steps facing the Camino. All the rooms have dormer windows, flower names and are painted the appropriate colour. There is also a private albergue here, to the left and round the back. We didn't ask Mabél how much that cost.

Some more info re Berducedo can be found here:-http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-primitivo/etapa-5-pola-de-allande-la-mesa.htm where a price of 15 euros is given for the albergue

Attachments

• Casa Antigua.jpg
    Casa Antigua.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 914
peregrina2000 said:
Tom. What is the very modern building between Valdedios and Oviedo? I don't think I ever saw it, though I've walked that way.
Hi Laurie, thank you for asking - I had no idea but I've now traced its identity on the web.
http://www.lavozdeasturias.es/asturias/ ... 55343.html
If you type 'auditorio pola de siero' into google images you'll see some much better and astounding pictures. One of them describes it as 'New cultural facility that puts Siero in the first division of the scenic and cultural Asturias'

As for its location: We'd left La Vega early in the morning thinking we'd pick up a first coffee in a village after a couple of km - but it was not to be, because as you saw, it's a lot of dormitory type suburbs round there which seem to have supplanted older type villages where you might find a café. So 10k later, mid-morning we were gagging for coffee and bocadillos. We headed off the actual camino when it looked like it was skirting round the main part of town and just headed to where we figured we'd find refreshments quickest. But I think we were only a couple of 100m off the route as we picked up camino markers at the end of the street.
cheers, tom

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.