• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather? Ski Jacket vs Rain jacket

Eduardo Hernandez

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I will be walking El Camino Frances starting April 21 at SJPDP and wondering how cold/rainy it will be. Trying to decide whether to bring my lighter rain jacket and a very thin fleece or bring my heavier jacket which is a ski jacket but has vents. I'm thinking it might get cold if it rains for awhile

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have never walked in the winter but I have walked in April and I have never seen a puffy ski jacket.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Layers. In 2015 I walked started 1 May. Some quite cool mornings but the temperature quickly turned warm during the day. I am a skier also and would not recommend a ski jacket. I am starting 1 May this year and am taking a rain jacket, and lightweight mid and base layers.

Light fleece, quality windbreaker, poncho “Altus”, and a “lifesaver” (you may call it a trash bag). When worn separately, or in combination you can comfortably trek in adverse weather. Light weight, easy to maintain with the”lifesaver” providing a waterproof vapor barrier that can,indeed, save your life. It also serves as a chew toy for my pup ( witness the picture).:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 39
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Layers. In 2015 I walked started 1 May. Some quite cool mornings but the temperature quickly turned warm during the day. I am a skier also and would not recommend a ski jacket. I am starting 1 May this year and am taking a rain jacket, and lightweight mid and base layers.
@Buz Radican Yay for you! I walked the Portuguese last year. Buen Camino!!!

@Buz Radican Yay for you! I walked the Portuguese last year. Buen Camino!!!
Hi Suzanne, I looked at both the Portuguese and the Norte for this , my third Camino. For several reasons decided on the CF.....lots of alburges and no long distances between them. Hope all is well with you and the rest of our Red Gaggles.

I have walked in April about a week before you and the year I went it was cold for a good part of the time. I needed a fleece and a light puffy jacket as well as my rain gear. There were times that I needed four layers and wore everything I had. We even had snow. I am leaving again on April 14th and watching the weather closely as from all accounts they are having a cold and late winter. I am hoping we will get some more reports from those on the trail. I have a friend who walked into Granon today and she said "a cold front pushed in and temps dropped into the 30's. The northeast winds kicked in and blasted the pilgrims in the face the entire way (sustained head winds at 30+ mph with gusts to 50+mph)." Last time I walked I didn't have gloves or a beanie and almost got frostbite on my fingers in a snowstorm. I know you aren't supposed to pack your fears, but I am taking gloves and a beanie this time. It is spring, expect anything. It does make it interesting and weather is just part of the experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What Should I Take

What should I take Stuff my pack full
With this and that Till bursting
I’ve never walkedThis far before
“It’ll fit” claimed I, while cursing

What should I take besides the gear
Are there folks back home awaiting
Can I carry love or a warm embrace
Life’s sustaining grace creating

What should I take I can drop as stones
Hurt feelings, hate, or cause of tears
I’ve heard it said and I believe
You should never pack your fears

What should I take if your asking me
May I suggest an open heart
Fill with wonder, joy, Thanksgiving
As the Camino plays it’s part

I use a smart wall long shirt or T-shirt plus a Lightweigh fleece and then my raincoat that seems to give me plenty of layered warmth. We want in Winter lots of snow I think when you walk and April you'll be great but I wouldn't bring a have a Heavy coat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We all have opinions and mine is leave the ski jacket at home and follow the good advice, above. I ski five days a week during the season (Ski Patrol) and have a collection of ski jackets for all conditions. I have also hiked the Camino Frances three times, once in October - November, when it was reasonably cold, including a bit or sleet and snow. Going again in October, God and the government of Spain in agreement. The “layer” system worked very well for me, so based on experience, I recommend against a ski jacket.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I often get cold and even in the summer I wear a hoodie
When walking/hiking and carrying a pack? I'm usually cold for about 5 minutes, then I'm peeling off layers. Anyway, your choice, but a ski jacket seems like overkill to me .
Just thought I would point out that the original was asked in 2018
Thanks. I was responding to today's 5 am post. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.