• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather statistics April

Ullamae

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm starting my camino early April and have been trying to find weather statistics early April for SJPdP and the pass, so far with no luck.

So, all you experienced April pilgrims out there, what kind of conditions have you encountered when crossing the Pyrenees? And has anybody arrived at SJPdP and both passes where closed?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from SJPP in April 2012 and the Napoleon was closed although some still walked it. I took the Valcarlos route which was still very beautiful but cold, wet and some snow at the top. All went well, no problems.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm starting my camino early April and have been trying to find weather statistics early April for SJPdP and the pass, so far with no luck.

So, all you experienced April pilgrims out there, what kind of conditions have you encountered when crossing the Pyrenees? And has anybody arrived at SJPdP and both passes where closed?

I started from SJPDP on April 2nd last year and the high route was closed (there had actually been a Canadian hiker who had ignored the warnings and been killed a couple of weeks prior to my departure.)

In spite of the Napoleon route being closed, I was remarkably fortunate in the weather I encountered last April. From Pamplona to O'Cebreiro (more than 550km), I only saw one brief shower while walking. Temperatures varied a bit, certainly there were some cool mornings, but generally I had consistently fine walking weather for weeks on end.

I walked from SJPP in April 2012 and the Napoleon was closed although some still walked it. I took the Valcarlos route which was still very beautiful but cold, wet and some snow at the top. All went well, no problems.

That sounds like May 2013 ;)

Thank you for your replies! Maybe I shouldn't worry, I went for a walk this morning (7.5 K) in colder weather, 1C, and walking in slush or on ice most of the way. I just don't know if I can make it to Roncesvalles in one day, and if the weather is bad i could get in trouble if the albergues are full... but they wouldn't turn me away, would they?

Falcon, I can't get that to work for SJPP, could it be that they don't have the stats for all towns?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whichever route you take there is an albergue after about eight miles, one at Orisson on the Napoleon and one at Valcarlos on the lower route. Chances are you will arrive at these well before they open for the day. I think you have to book for Orisson but as far as I know there is also private accommodation in both these places. Early April should not be busy.

Falcon, I can't get that to work for SJPP, could it be that they don't have the stats for all towns?
You need to pick a nearby city, such as Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, Lugo, or Santiago. Needless to say, there is not one weather history for a 750km journey. You will walk through lots of weather zones, and the worst weather will be in places that do not report, such as the Cruz de Ferro and crest of the Route Napoleon.

I can't get that to work for SJPP
SJPdP has a microclimate on the lee side of the Pyrenees, so predictions and history from nearby large cities with weather forecasts are not too useful. Moisture is removed from the clouds high in the mountains so that SJPdP may have fairly dry weather when it is stormy at higher elevations. I think someone looks out the window for this weather report from the tourist office http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com/fr/meteo but it does not provide history. At least you know what it is doing currently in the town.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Due to start my first camino from SJPP in about 3 weeks. Has anyone heard if there has been any snow on the pyrenees?

There have been several major snowfalls this winter. Today it is raining in Roncesvalles, but snow is predicted again by next Tuesday.

I walked over the Napoleon on May 2nd 2012 in a snow storm.
Everything covered in 6+ inches of snow. The day before was clear with sunshine.
Everything should be anticipated.
I have walked the Napoleon other years in March in rain and fog.

I have found this Norwegian site useful: http://www.yr.no/ You can select English, so it is quite easy to use. You can also add locations to "your places" and access them easily every time you log on. I have added both SJPDP and Roncesvalles. They also have an app for android that I use.

People who have lived alltheir life in high mountains know that, at any time of the year, weather conditions can change suddenly and within few hours. Ask weathered locals for their advice before starting high mountain hikes.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back