• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather warning week of 23 June

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
There’s very dangerous heat wave moving north from Africa this week. Temperatures will be at least 35c (high 90’s F) and reaching well above 40c (102 F) on Thursday and Friday across a large part of Spain and France

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A harbinger of things to come from what I have read.

If you're walking this week, don't let the hype scare you, but do take all the standard precautions: extra water and electrolytes, moderate your daily distance ambitions, start and finish early etc. - be careful out there.

UK Guardian online today: ' “El infierno [hell] is coming,” tweeted the TV meteorologist Silvia Laplana in Spain, where the AEMET weather service forecast temperatures of 42C by Thursday in the Ebro, Tagus, Guadiana and Guadalquivir valleys and warned of an “extreme risk” of forest fires.'

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:cool:That is the normal daily temperture here in Tucson, Arizona. 104F today.. forecast 107F Wednesday.
What is the problem? :cool::cool:
[/QUOTE
What's the problem? The great problem is that you people have something called air conditioning! You will all be inside - either at home, at work, in a shopping center, at school or in an air conditioned car!
Also, I doubt that you will all be doing a 22km walk tomorrow!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[/QUOTE
What's the problem? The great problem is that you people have something called air conditioning! You will all be inside - either at home, at work, in a shopping center, at school or in an air conditioned car!
Also, I doubt that you will all be doing a 22km walk tomorrow!

Actually...I did walk 28km a day ago..I started early but it was hot very quickly.
It reminds me of walking the Via de la Plata in August a few years ago.

We really do not have good alternatives unless we just stop walking.

:cool:That is the normal daily temperture here in Tucson, Arizona. 104F today.. forecast 107F Wednesday.
Oz in summer too!....why do people walk now if they are scared of a little heat? !

The problem is the first day, uphill, all the way to Roncesvalles. It's also the fact that there aren't air-conditioners in many Albergues. Too hot to sleep and too hot to walk......go later in the year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:cool:That is the normal daily temperture here in Tucson.
It's the nature of heatwaves: it's doesn't mean that it will get hot. It means that it will get a lot hotter than usual at that time of the year in that region. I can't speak for Spain but in some European media the pre-heatwave hype has reached astonishing levels.

Also, the majority of our homes don't have air conditioning and many don't even have shutters for their windows.

I am not Live on the Camino, in fact I am sitting in the A\C'd room and looking at some rain showers (although the temps are suppose to get into 90F/30C)
However, I came accross this report:
A potentially historic heat wave is hitting Europe -- one expected to last all week with temperatures as high as 104 degrees. In Spain, a meteorologist says it will feel like “hell.” In France, more than half of the country was placed on an orange alert for “intense heat” on Monday that continues today.
My Prayers and Well Wishes are with all Fellow Pilgrims ("True" and otherwise ;)) for their safety. Please use caution, drink plenty of fluids (preferably non-A.... at least while walking) and take breaks!
Buen Camino! 👍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The problem is the first day, uphill, all the way to Roncesvalles. It's also the fact that there aren't air-conditioners in many Albergues. Too hot to sleep and too hot to walk......go later in the year.
Of course there aren’t air conditioners in albergues! That is a luxury item!

It was 95 or 96 in Basel today--I definitely felt the force of the sun.
That converts to 35 ... I noticed on today’s map on https://www.meteoalarm.eu/ that Switzerland was the only country with regions on the highest alarm level (red). It doesn’t mean that it’s the hottest there but that it is more unusually hot there than elsewhere. An oddity is also, it seems, that temperatures at altitude are so high. I checked the current forecast for the pass on the Route Napeleon and thought “wow”. I wonder what it’s like to walk there at the moment. I guess there’s a bit of cooling wind but there’s no shade for much of the ascent.

Did you notice the Sahara dust in the air 😊? It’s apparently quite visible from mountain tops in Switzerland.

It was 36 deg C in Chamonix today 😳 (Apparently. I am not there!).
I walked in Italy through the heatwave ‘Lucifer’ 2 years ago. I hope I won’t have a repeat experience this year 😱
Take care, all of you already walking.
The French are taking this very seriously indeed as in 2003, so many died... It was a kind of wake-up call 😳
People are more used to it in Spain... And there is always the ‘abanico’ 😎😉

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the most important things to know - not only during a heat wave - for those of us who are not used to such conditions is the fact that maximum temperatures may be reached long after midday and they may last into the evening. I learnt this lesson in the southwest of France when I thought, around 1 o'clock, ok, it feels quite hot, I'll have a long rest in the shade now and then continue after 2 o'clock or so. Oh boy, was that a bad idea.

As an example, today's severe weather warnings from Aemet.es for central Navarra where Pamplona is: expected maximum temperature is 39 ºC (and that's in the shade) from 2 pm until 8 pm.

Last edited:
As it happens im on holiday in italy prior to my granada camino. It's around 35 but ive still been out and about...as have thousands of others in rome....well into the arvo. Sometimes for 6 hours which on a camino would equate to 30kms...half of which would be in the hottest part of the day. Sure i was thirsty but on the camino there would be dire warnings about walking in this heat but apart from carrying a backpack...what's the difference? I generally start out 8 to 8.30, later if it's a short distance and aim to finish around 1..hours before it's really hot. I've looked at granada weather for early june..max is 30 min 18 for most days...balmy weather!

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT Added: This was intended as a tongue in cheek...I do not mean to minimize the heat problem currently on the Camino 🌵
I understood that but it didn't stop me from adding a more serious comment 🙂.

As others have said already, there has been quite a hype in the media about this ""infernal"" heatwave. Otoh, as others have also said already, the authorities in various countries are taking this more seriously in view of the "excess mortality rate" in previous years, as it is called, in particular among older people, due to the fact that neither they nor the people were prepared for such high temperatures lasting for a longer period of time. Those of you who are used to such temperatures must be following all this with the same mixture of concern and amusement as I do when there's a big fuss in some countries about a few snow flakes falling to the ground. I'm used to snow in winter and temperatures quite a bit below zero, they aren't.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of the most important things to know - not only during a heat wave - for those of us who are not used to such conditions is the fact that maximum temperatures may be reached long after midday and they may last into the evening.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
Always amuses me when people look at the weather prognosis and just notice the 'daily high' and thats it.
the fact that it may come at the time of the day totally different from what may perceive somehow escapes them. (i.e. winter time - high of say 50F\10C...and everyone thinks 1-2pm but it could be like 6am)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haven't noticed Saharan dust, but today was good practice for the Camino in Zermatt, walking uphill in the heat. (And tonight is good practice as well--there's a noisy street fair and my window is closed to keep out the cigarette smoke.)

I had a look at yesterday's temperatures for Burgos airport, Belorado, Virgen del Camino, and Roncesvalles. These temperatures are measured at the Aemet meteorological stations, it will feel hotter when you walk in the sun. You see the typical increase during the day with peak periods in early to late afternoon.

Virgen del Camino with a peak at 27 ºC (81 ºF) doesn't look too bad, Belorado and Burgos topped out around 35 ºC (95 ºF). I was surprised about Roncesvalles with the peak at 32 ºC (90 ºF) - surely this must be unusual?

Roncesvalles 26 June 2019.pngBurgos airport 26 June 2019.pngBelorado 26 June 2019.pngVirgen del Camino 26 June 2019.png

Last edited:
today was good practice for the Camino in Zermatt, walking uphill in the heat
Sigh, yearn, wish I was there ☺ ... we crossed from Italy once on the Theodul glacier and I've been on the Breithorn a few times. Is it all melting right now???

PS: Just realised that Theodul is yet another saint and I also knew that the pass has been used since Neolithic and Roman times. You may be walking where pilgrims walked before. 🙃

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I appreciate that unlike my ancient predecessors, I have a train, especially in this heat. Still 95°F (35°C) at 5:30 pm here, and the local train was hotter than that!

I’ve been checking temperatures in Spain and Italy and they don’t seem unusual to me for that time of year (on a hot year that is 😄). The significant difference though is in France, 40 deg + in some places, that is definitely not the norm...
I’m going to stop worrying, it may never happen 😉

I’ve been checking temperatures in Spain and Italy and they don’t seem unusual to me for that time of year (on a hot year that is 😄). The significant difference though is in France, 40 deg + in some places, that is definitely not the norm...
I’m going to stop worrying, it may never happen 😉
Thank you for this message. My family and I will be walking the Sarria to SDC stretch July 12-17 and are first time walkers. We are a little alarmed by the news

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

EDIT Added: This was intended as a tongue in cheek...I do not mean to minimize the heat problem currently on the Camino 🌵

And how often are you out walking 8 - 15 miles with your backpack in those temperatures? Not a smart reply, even in jest.

And how often are you out walking 8 - 15 miles with your backpack in those temperatures? Not a smart reply, even in jest.

I am not exactly sure of your meaning. Why is it not a "smart repy"?

To answer the question as to how often I am walking 8-15 miles now......I walked 9 miles today. Started at 6:30 am and finished a little after noon. The temperature was 80F when I started and 104 F when I got home. I am prepared for it and in no danger. It is not enjoyable...but I am safe. I walk about every 2-3 days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Same here in the Ardèche mountains a couple of days from Le Puy - temperature down to 27 from 38. Was drinking about 5 litres which possibly wasn’t enough as would feel cold towards the end of the walk. Possibly mild heat exhaustion?

I am not exactly sure of your meaning. Why is it not a "smart repy"?

To answer the question as to how often I am walking 8-15 miles now......I walked 9 miles today. Started at 6:30 am and finished a little after noon. The temperature was 80F when I started and 104 F when I got home. I am prepared for it and in no danger. It is not enjoyable...but I am safe. I walk about every 2-3 days.
I'm also in Tucson and do the same. I start when it's dark out. I switched recently from Madera Canyon hikes to Summerhaven. I'm a fan of breathing and just had too hard a time at Madera in this heat!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back