• Update 2: We should be back as normal now. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather

Jim McMurtrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April-May 2018
Frances September-October 2019
Well we have booked our non-refundable tickets to Madrid on April 6. I guess this means we are committed.
We have been doing our research and find this forum a fantastic resource and so my question...knowing that the weather will be variable can I get some advice on what kind of insulating clothing to take and how much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would carry virtually the same clothes at any time of spring or fall. You need to think thin layers and combinations. For example, I take the following clothes:
  • Typical walking outfit for a nice day: Long pants, short sleeve or sleeveless merino base shirt, long sleeve walking shirt, plus a sun hat. Then I add a merino wool buff and gloves that can easily be removed when I warm up while walking. Maybe I'll add (or have easily available) a light fleece or my rain/windproof jacket. If it rains or is really cold, I layer on my rain pants. That combination will serve almost all conditions.
  • Typical evening outfit is completely separate, so it doesn't get dirty or wet. It must always be kept dry. That should be a second pair of long pants (I have merino sweat pants), a long sleeve base layer shirt, another short sleeve shirt in case it is hot, and the fleece that you have as a possible supplement to your walking wear (mentioned above). Since I hate to be cold at night, I take a down vest that I can wear in the evenings or inside my sleeping bag.
  • Including what I'm wearing I have 3 sets of socks and underpants.
I have everything I could reasonably need for any weather I would encounter in Spain. If I were walking in mid-summer, I'd probably leave the down vest and rain pants out. In mid-winter I'd switch the spare short sleeve shirt for another light long-sleeve, and add some more socks and a woolly hat.

what kind of insulating clothing to take and how much.
I use polypropylene, but there are many advocates of merino wool (I think it itches; they don't). I have found that cool mornings yield quickly to a few hundred meters with a backpack. April afternoons can be warm, so when you dress in the morning, be prepared to shed layers as the day progresses. I found the insulating layers more useful in the evening and night than in the daytime. It can rain, so choose rain gear carefully. If the rain is intermittent, be prepared to get into, then out of, a rain suit. You will be doing it in rain or on wet ground, so pants that slide easily over boots are best. You have to take off your pack to don or doff a rain jacket. A poncho that covers you and your pack is most convenient. When the rain stops, it can just hang from your pack. When the rain starts, just slide your arms into the poncho; you don't even break stride. The inside of any rain gear can become a steam bath in warm/hot weather, so don't count on staying dry unless you do not perspire.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have received some great advice above. Layers are key. Nothing should be made of cotton, all synthetic or merino wool, your choice and budget. Your local sports store is the best place to start looking for this type of clothing, not a fashion outlet. That time of year, you will get a bit of everything. Have a t-shirt for those few warm days near the end, its your base layer early on. Have two long sleeve shirts, a few days you will want them both on at the same time for warmth. Take a fleece as well, the zip up "hoodie" type, not the pull over type. Have a wind layer, either a rain jacket, or a thin nylon one if you have a poncho as well. There will be some windy days. On the cold, windy, frosty morning, you might be wearing everything in your pack when you set out, stripping them off as the sun come out. Later in the camino, its all in your pack, so make sure everything is light weight.

Don't worry about this too much, except for the rain gear which you should practice with before you set off. Everything else can be picked up (or discarded!) along the way if you find the weather turns out to be colder or warmer than the climate graphs suggest.

Buen Camino!

Yes, I'm a fan of layering. I feel the cold but get very hot and sweaty when walking, especially on steep hills. I wear long sleeves in all weathers, because of my fair skin and previously bouts of skin cancer. My current favourite is a silk 70% merino cotton mix - expensive but now into a fifth camino so I think worthwhile. Mind you, the black is now grey and the pink a weird kind of orange. They are cool in summer and a good base layer in winter and they dry very quickly.

In April I would definitely take gloves for the early morning, and a buff or scarf which can be pulled up over the ears if it is really windy and cold. A lightweight warm layer to put on at night. Good rain-gear is essential in April.

I use an Altus raincoat (with a large pouch for backpack) as I find it easiest to take on and off - no need to remove my pack as the Altus hangs off it and can be pulled on and off at will. Packa ponchos are similar but tighter and shorter. The Altus is available in Spain. I also take a handsfree trekking umbrella which can be a godsend in a heavy downpour (providing there is no wind) and also hot sun.

I started 2 April this year from SJPdP. I carried a set of long silk thermals. Did wear them a few times at night but did not need them during the day. They were my “insurance policy” along with one pair of waterproof socks because my footwear is trail runners and I was a little worried about snow. I started with a down vest but found that I didn’t need both the vest AND the thermals. Good rain gear that is windproof is high on my list of essentials. I use rain jacket and rain pants but everyone has their own preference. Usual long walking clothes and a broad brimmed hat plus a fleece jacket with a hood. I packed gloves, wool socks and bought a camino buff along the way. If planning to stay in albergues definitely a sleeping bag but I just took a lightweight one not a winter weight one. Wonderful time of the year to walk but don’t tell anyone else.;)
Buen camino and have fun planning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My addiction these last three years is a mix of Propylene and Meriono within the same shirt.
I have chosen Helly Hansen Warm series with an equal share of both materials for interim periodes btw hot and cold climate...
A pure Meriono shirt I use for evenings when shooting the breeze or dining out on my Camionos...

Once again, great advice. My mindset for the Camino is to just let it happen and enjoy the experience, pleasant and unpleasant, and I sense that all of you feel much the same way. Buen Camino!

It might be cold in the mountains. Take along an extra old beat up sweatshirt or something like a fleece sweater bought second hand. Discard it in Pamplona or maybe after the Alto de Perdon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It might be cold in the mountains. Take along an extra old beat up sweatshirt or something like a fleece sweater bought second hand. Discard it in Pamplona or maybe after the Alto de Perdon.
Something that I thought of and will probably do.
Thanks again

From walking from 36 deg temperature to minus deg. (And snow...)
A silk camisole (actually not real silk, a 'technical' material) One
A short-sleeved T-shirt (again, techy...) Two (or three if you don't mind the weight)
A fleece One
Trousers/shorts or (in my case) skirt Two
A hat. One
A poncho. One
For the Winter parts I only added a buff, a windproof jacket*, a merino long-sleeved sweater and merino leggings. Oh and I did buy some wooly gloves from a market as I hadn't thought of taking any....
Socks and underwear: 3 of each.
There is nothing I would change now should I ever do it again :)
* I meant to buy a proper Winter jacket along the way but never needed to.

Last edited:
Something that I thought of and will probably do.
Thanks again

By April this page will be full of recommendations Jim but follow Kangas advice
Get good stuff and keep for home and your next walk , believe me mate you will return.
All clothing can be purchased in StJPP , especially the poncho and sticks.
I would not consider discarding the fleece , it will come handy all the way , leave to a young one in SDC.
I also think the latter end of winter can be better weather than early Spring , maybe colder at start but hopefully the rain keeps away until Galicia where it will be waiting , make no mistake about that.
Enjoy this great adventure , post photos to The Board , and prepare for the followers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lots of good advice so far on gear, so I will not duplicate. One point about layering is the ease of adjusting body temperature. In the higher altitude parts of the trail what you don't want to do is to sweat excessively. It is easy to get chilled and then the danger of hyperthermia is present. Always take time to add or strip off layers to keep yourself comfortable. It is some times too easy to keep plowing along even when you are either too hot or cold. If you keep your head, hands and feet warm, generally you stay warm with the activity of walking.
Early April is a great time to go. My wife and I have gone on all four Camino's starting in early April. The country is lush and green, streams are running everywhere. Not as many people. we have had no accommodation issues in the last four years. That said a late fall trip may be our next walk, just to see Spain differently from the spring.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back