• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather!!!

calamity37

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk Camino Frances
Hola Camino folks!

I know this probably sounds ridiculous.....but i am postponing my trip because the weather looks so bad at the moment! Every time i check, it looks like days and days of rain and pretty cold. Cold i can do, but rain not so keen!

I am not time constrained so can leave now, next week or in June! Can anyone on the ground tell me what its like at the moment in SJPP and surrounds? Thank yooo :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Putting off your start date runs the risk of more pilgrims looking for beds and hotter conditions on the Meseta. As the Scandinavians say, "there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

Just go! Being wet and cold is part of the experience. Besides, the weather along the Camino is very dynamic. It changes frequently and fast.

I recommend the free app ElTiempo.es+ for your smartphone. It has current weather reports and forecasts for virtually every named place in Spain. You can find it in the Android store or in the Apple App Store.

I found these forecasts very reliable on my six Caminos.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Camino folks!

I know this probably sounds ridiculous.....but i am postponing my trip because the weather looks so bad at the moment! Every time i check, it looks like days and days of rain and pretty cold. Cold i can do, but rain not so keen!

I am not time constrained so can leave now, next week or in June! Can anyone on the ground tell me what its like at the moment in SJPP and surrounds? Thank yooo :)
I just checked the ten-day forecast for all the major cities on the CF and found only one rainy day out of ten. I’m not sure what forecast you’re looking at. I wouldn’t even bother with a long range projection past ten days. If you wait too long what you’re sure to get is hot weather on the Meseta.

Hola Camino folks!

I'm here to weigh in. I think we all know what that means :cool:

My home is Oregon, in the Pacific Northwest. Here, Rain comes in sideways. It mists, sprinkles, jets, pours, sprinkles, tinkles, and gushes. The rain in Spain, while it doesn't fall mainly on the plain, is nothin'.

Carry a poncho and become a Camino badass! Seriously, I walked two Octobers and one March, and had only a few rain days. I think there's really something else going on, isn't there?

'Fess up! The weather never gets better.

It rained hard last night in Villavuarte from 6pm until about 8pm. Beautiful day today and I'm in Los Arcos now. My walk from Orisson to Roncesvalles was wet and windy. Waterproof gloves would have been handy but it's the only time I got my bag carried and I'm glad I did. Others slipped etc and I was fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just checked the ten-day forecast for all the major cities on the CF and found only one rainy day out of ten. I’m not sure what forecast you’re looking at. I wouldn’t even bother with a long range projection past ten days. If you wait too long what you’re sure to get is hot weather on the Meseta.
You got that right my NatGeo friend. After seeing your photos you need to be in Irún September 15 to document my Norte journey.

As others have said you never know what to expect. I had 90 degree plus days on the Meseta in October and a few October’s later (exactly the same time in October) I had driving rain, high winds and cold almost daily.
Just GOOOOOOO and stop thinking and planning so much. All you can be sure of is the step you are taking at the moment you are taking it. The rest is bull@@@t

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know where you live but I lived in Biarritz for many years and would try to plan my start based on the current weather and the 5 day forecast. I never got it right. I finally decided to just walk out the door after the weekend crowds had subsided and take whatever came my way weather-wise.
I leave tomorrow from sunny, hot and dry south Florida for Bilbao to walk the Norte. I have looked at their forecast and it looks like a pattern of rain one day and clear for two days, I have already removed my fleece from my bag because the temperatures look moderate and will rely on a thin sweater, if I need more than that I can always buy a hoodie. The Camino provides.

Don:

After living in Florida for two years, I find that I am more sensitive to even temperate weather in Spain. When it is in the 70s (f), I found I still needed my zip-up fleece jacket. I am glad I brought it.

Wet and warm is sometimes very good....cold and wet is NEVER good. Given the price of clothing over there, you might want to take the fleece... Just sayin.

Hola Camino folks!

I have friends who just walked from Pamplona arriving today in Logroño and they’re sunburned already, she said it’s HOT ! Go dont delay who knows what tomorrow has in store for you, maybe you’ll miss meeting someone special. Heck I walked El Norte this March - it rained 28 of 38 days, somedays pouring and all day.....after a few days I didn’t care and it’s was a wonderful Camino....mud and rain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are in Pamplona left SJPP on Saturday have seen no rain all days are sunny or partly sunny. Great walking conditions you do not want hot temps while walking

Just go whenever it is best for you. Don't let weather forecasts get in the way. The weather will be what it will be, and no planning can change that. If you are carrying a smartphone or iPhone with you on the Camino it is easy enough to track the weather as you go via an app or just the net.
Besides, this late in the year any cold stretches of weather you might encounter will be very short lived.

Hola Camino folks!

Weather changes everyday . Whats the problem , just go maybe you get wet .

So be it .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't know where you live but I lived in Biarritz for many years and would try to plan my start based on the current weather and the 5 day forecast. I never got it right. I finally decided to just walk out the door after the weekend crowds had subsided and take whatever came my way weather-wise.
I leave tomorrow from sunny, hot and dry south Florida for Bilbao to walk the Norte. I have looked at their forecast and it looks like a pattern of rain one day and clear for two days, I have already removed my fleece from my bag because the temperatures look moderate and will rely on a thin sweater, if I need more than that I can always buy a hoodie. The Camino provides.
Have a wonderfull Camino , wish you well , Peter

Just go. The weather man is never right anyway. Even if you think you picked the right time, and it then rains a few days in, what are you going to do?

Don’t curse yourself for picking the wrong time, because there is no wrong time. Just go!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I spent the day today in SJPP. It was a light to heavy drizzle off/on most of the day with very heavy forcast. The man at the Camino office told us to expect some snow on the mountain tomorrow. Hope this helps a little. We are going for it tomorrow and will take whatever as it comes.

Just go! Being wet and cold is part of the experience. Besides, the weather along the Camino is very dynamic. It changes frequently and fast.

I recommend the free app ElTiempo.es+ for your smartphone. It has current weather reports and forecasts for virtually every named place in Spain. You can find it in the Android store or in the Apple App Store.

Hope this helps.
Walked this morning in rain, 9 degrees and wind with my poncho. Not as bad as I expected but I'd just as soon miss the rain tomorrow.

Thabks so much for all your replies! Especially the ‘live’ ones!! I did just decide to book whatever the weather.....leaving for Biarritz on Tues! I am a Geordie so should br used to cold but have lived in Cape Town 12 yrs. Its made me soft!!!

Hola Camino folks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I started April 18, we have had about 20 minutes of rain. Currently in Leon for 2 days, cold and windy but quite sunny. Overall, we have had great weather. Some wind and cold, but mostly sunny. I am getting a very nice tan.

Hope this helps.
Great app. Thks I will start SJPD on May 17..

Hola Camino folks!

You may never go......

Just go ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Camino folks!

Hello, now on the Camino arriving at León... Sun and cold winds...talking to the albergue's managers during last days they told me we are on the top of the season. It means no beds available in some places.... Zubiri beds availability was critical during first week of May. They had to move people on buses to next locations.. Weather is unpredictable but I suppose it will be warmer during June... Less people... I suppose June, July and/or August could be the high season but here is different... Buen Camino!!

Just go! I'm currently walking 7 days after Leon, and it has been sunny and warm every day. It did get a little chilly into Villafranca, but we are in the mountains. Hopefully, no snow in O'Cebriro

Wind: Freezing, biting, constant wind! Now that I remember. It wasn't on my "Fears List" but getting wet was. Walking in the rain (mist, light showers and heavier) can bring its own pleasure. Truly! Once the outer layers are wet, they're wet. They dry out. As long as inner layers stay dry. Wet boots/shoes? Stuffed with newspaper overnight and most moisture is absorbed. A warm beanie or buff and gloves were essential to combat the wind which sprang up now and then especially in the flatter regions. I found that a hood (jacket or poncho) wasn't sufficient at times and the hat helped to keep the hood secure and comfortable. I highly recommend hat and gloves regardless of any weather forecast. So often we forget to check for wind levels and even if we do, shrug them off whilst focussing on the rain and the heat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
FYI, Biarritz Don is cold and wet at the start of his Camino del Norte. He just sent me an e-mail.

I recall that several of us DID opine about bringing the fleece. He did not. Now he wishes he had...

Anyway, I checked to locate the first several Decathlon stores in his line of march from Irun. There is a Decathlon in Irun and two at San Sebastian...

I sent him the information by return e-mail. Hopefully he will accept the advice this time.;)

Last edited:
Android software ElTiempo.es+ seems to give too low temperatures.
Compare with AccuWeather (free) which gives at least right degrees.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Got sunburned yesterday but woke up to cold rainy weather this morning for the O Cebreiro ascent! Changing weather just reminds one that the world is a glorious, living entity whose “moods” are always in flux. Enjoy what the day gives you and know that even the worst days don’t last forever. Carpe Diem!

Got sunburned yesterday but woke up to cold rainy weather this morning for the O Cebreiro ascent! Changing weather just reminds one that the world is a glorious, living entity whose “moods” are always in flux. Enjoy what the day gives you and know that even the worst days don’t last forever. Carpe Diem!

Just finished climbing to O'Cebreiro in a misty mountain hop. Drizzly rain all day, with mountains enveloped in a misty fog. Then, gloriously, the sun came out at 3pm, and blew all the clouds, rain and fog away. What magnificent vistas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
13 days west of Lyon today, in Gonzar, Spain ( 8km west of Portomarin). Only 1 day of rain, and that was the climb up to O'Cebreiro. Misty rain, foggy, and some mud. Then the sun came out, and blew away the rain, fog and clouds. Clear skies in the late afternoon, for glorious vistas.

Hola Camino folks!

My wife and I are on the Camino now. We started in SJPP on May 13 and checked in Albergue Rosalia in Castrojeriz a few minutes ago. Yes the weather reports call for cold and rain but it has not been bad. Rain is usually not much more than drizzle a few hours during the day but more common is just cloudy. The temps in morning are mid-50’s and rise as the day progresses. Besides the muddy trails, it’s great hiking conditions. Sure beats the intense heat of last year! Don’t wait; go now!!!

I have walked through a very bad thunderstorm a couple of days ago and you know what? The Camino provided with a nice and comfotable bar to wait it out :) Yes, we had to walk through the pouring rain for a couple of hours and I was scared. But I wasn't alone and that makes it already a lot better. Weather is part of walking, because that what is going on outside. You get used to it as you walk and the good weather is much more appreciated. Right now another thunderstorm is happening in Torres del Rio, but I was lucky enough to have made it to the auberge before that.

As i can see, starting from 1st of June thunderstorm and rain few days in a row.
That give me to think- is it better to start in Pamplona on 1st? Pyrenees will be challenge on that weather.
I have 30 days max for camino, and don't want to slip/fall or injure on a very first day on route napoleon :)

Camigas reported a pilgrim with hypothermia was rescued between SJPdP and Roncesvalles a couple of days ago. Always wise not to underestimate the mountain at any time of year. Good rain gear and a dry change of clothes at a minimum. Stay warm and safe, pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Camino folks!

hi
I live in vigo. it rained a bit this morning and yesterday morning but now its lovely anf sunny. the weather here is changeable at this time of year but the weather forecasts are not to be trusted. they will say rain if it is only a ten minute shower , which we easily can have in july and august as well. it is certainly not cold.
agree with other folk- just do it. :-D

Thabks so much for all your replies! Especially the ‘live’ ones!! I did just decide to book whatever the weather.....leaving for Biarritz on Tues! I am a Geordie so should br used to cold but have lived in Cape Town 12 yrs. Its made me soft!!!
Well, calamity37, how is it going?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Camino folks!

Just finished 2nd stage from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. SJJP was cool, wet and busy.
Today was beautiful. Final 2k to Zubiri very hard on feet as heavy rain has exposed lots of vertical shale and is VERY slippery. Walk with care and poles.

I start in Leon on the 11th June, nearly there now, and I’ve been watching the weather in Northern Spain for weeks, according to Accu Weather app I can expect rain every day from Leon...

That said that app is always overly accurate in my opinion. I’m in southern France just now and we have had temperatures from 22 - 27 degrees until 5pm most days followed by a thunderstorm in the late afternoon...

Seems to be a pattern at the moment so as with above pack for both sun and rain and just do it !

Buena Surete, Buen Camino

Mal

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, calamity37, how is it going?
Thanks for asking! I am loving it :) but not the weather.....I would advise anyone from a warm country to come at a warmer time of year (I live in Cape Town). I am freezing most of the time but luckily it hasn’t rained too much yet. Just grey and very cold a lot. It looks from the forecast that it will rain all the way now. Raining very heavily in Astorga today! Wild flowers and green fields are beaut but if somebody asked my advice, I’d say don’t even think about starting before June! Oh and that sleeping bag or liner question people always ask?! Defo not liner, sleeping bag a must!!!! And down jacket not just fleece! Hat and gloves essential too :)

Thanks for asking! I am loving it :) but not the weather.....I would advise anyone from a warm country to come at a warmer time of year (I live in Cape Town). I am freezing most of the time but luckily it hasn’t rained too much yet. Just grey and very cold a lot. It looks from the forecast that it will rain all the way now. Raining very heavily in Astorga today! Wild flowers and green fields are beaut but if somebody asked my advice, I’d say don’t even think about starting before June! Oh and that sleeping bag or liner question people always ask?! Defo not liner, sleeping bag a must!!!! And down jacket not just fleece! Hat and gloves essential too :)
So glad to see you are being brave, in spite of the weather. Friend who lives in Pamplona has told me of the almost incessant rain. What can I offer you? Just the knowledge, for you, that there are people willing you to make it day by day, and keep on going. Can you buy something warm to wear? I look forward to another update. It was pure chance that I peeked back in to this one, but now will keep my eye out for you.

I took an Altus, a showerproof jacket and an umbrella on the Ingles last week (belt, braces and a piece of string philosophy)
Only used the Altus and got so soaking wet on the inside through condensation that I now realise I should have just stuck with the umbrella and a warm fleece.
The weather in Europe is a bit topsy-turvey at present. Here in the south east of England we had clear blue skies and 26 degrees yesterday while today it was 14 degrees and overcast with a chill breeze.
Go for it man - one of the nicest things about hiking in pouring rain is you feel SO good when it stops (before it starts again).

Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What works for one will not necessarily work for another. That is why it is a very good idea to train with your gear prior to going - to find out what works for you. In 2010, I left SJPP in March during a rain. I had a t-shirt, jacket, and poncho on. The poncho kept me dry from the rain, but it also acted as a sauna and I completely cooked inside of it. I was soaked to the bone in sweat. So when I went back in 2012 and 2013, and it will be the same this fall, I left the poncho at home and took an umbrella. Another advantage of an umbrella is that during a very hot day, you could also use it for shade.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.