• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

weather

Nery Aurora

Nery Aurora Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
Vía de la Plata 2023
Hola Peregrinos, we arrive in Santander to walk the Camino del Norte starting in Irun, this coming Saturday, Sep 24. Unfortunately, the weather forecast predicts 90% rain probability for days on end. Not sure what to do regarding the weather pattern. Appreciate any guidance/information from members of the forum. Buen Camino, Nery

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not sure what to do regarding the weather pattern.
Well, we were hoping that you could do something to improve it! :D 😂

Seriously, make sure you have your rain gear packed, and your good humour. That's all you can do. If the weather is horrendous, you will look back on it as a good story to tell.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure what to do
You remember you were born wet and just walk.
One of the abiding lessons of the camino is learning that rain happens and we can only control our reactions to it. @C clearly nailed it - after being prepared with raingear, a sense of humor is your best friend.

There is nothing like coming into a bar and receiving a warm welcome in spite of shedding water (or ice!) all over the floor. It's one of the most touching things about the camino - that good-humored shrug that comes with the cafe con leche.
Buen camino, @Nery Aurora !

I encountered that a few years ago and walked for days in rain and sleet until I reached Santander. I choose to take the train to Fromista and join the CF, it was far enough away from the coast to be sunny and dry.

Helo.
I am having the same trouble and worries. I am starting my CF from SJPP in a bike in Sept 27 and the forecast is rain and cold. I am thinking about to take the alternative route in Valcarlos instead of napoleon route in the uphills Pyrenes. As I am from Brazil I´m not used with this weather conditions. I will take special gears and clothes but I am a little bit scared. I am even thinking of taking a taxi or an another transports to skip the first step till Zuibiri.
Whart do you recommend me? Face the weather or skip ?
Thanks in advice
Roberto Rocha

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Helo.
I am having the same trouble and worries. I am starting my CF from SJPP in a bike in Sept 27 and the forecast is rain and cold. I am thinking about to take the alternative route in Valcarlos instead of napoleon route in the uphills Pyrenes. As I am from Brazil I´m not used with this weather conditions. I will take special gears and clothes but I am a little bit scared. I am even thinking of taking a taxi or an another transports to skip the first step till Zuibiri.
Whart do you recommend me? Face the weather or skip ?
Thanks in advice
Roberto Rocha
Roberta Rocha,
Are you used to biking or would this be a new experience? Have you rented a bike? Do check out the forum topic
Bicycling on the Camino for many tips.
If you do bike follow the road to Valcarlos and Roncesvalles and then continue on the N135 road down to Zubiri. For more on biking down by road to Zubiri see this post

In bad weather do not try to take the camino path down to Zubiri on a bike.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Mspath,
I am a skilled biker as I ride a bike at least 3 times a week for more than 5 years. I will rent a bike over there.
I am not used with such bad weather conditions here in Brazil
Thanks for advices.
sincerely
Roberto Rocha

Hola Peregrinos, we arrive in Santander to walk the Camino del Norte starting in Irun, this coming Saturday, Sep 24. Unfortunately, the weather forecast predicts 90% rain probability for days on end. Not sure what to do regarding the weather pattern. Appreciate any guidance/information from members of the forum. Buen Camino, Nery
Luckily, human skin is waterproof! But seriously, you will get wet and muddy, no matter what you do. But it will be worth it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Put on the raingear, cover the backpack, put phone, wallet etc. in strong waterproof plastic bag, rolled over a number of times...

...face West, walk, enjoy...

Ive just walked from Deba today 25kms with no shops or bars. Just up through the mountains. It was torrential but i didnt get too wet. I definitely think poncho and cover for your bag. Legs didn't get too wet but i imagine if there was a wind blowing too you'd get soaked. Waterproof trousers might be a good idea. Looks like the next week will be bad. The paths will probably be in a bad state after today

I am 30 days into the del norte and so far, miraculously, I've not been rained on. It's rained in front of me, a day behind me, and overnight, but never while walking (so far🤞). And, that's despite the weather app anticipating doom and gloom around me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just finished Irun to Santander and had all weather extremes 35C on the first day out of Irun - but I can’t imagine the over mountain route in the rain - it was the hardest rock paths that we had dust and parched lips but if you have rain it will be slippery. Just after the church Guadalupe you’ll decide which path - if you are not used to walking steep up and down on wet rocks & mud I’d recommend taking the lower route. Last days to Santander cold rain & then bursts of sun. Buen Camino!
30FA9549-5F87-4A84-A08C-66A9EB1F9971.jpegEF447B92-8124-4643-8E0E-78E8717B46D5.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started April 28th this year, with the same weather forecast you have. In fact, here is a thread that someone started about that time with a similar question as yours: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-the-camino-del-norte-mid-april-2022.74331/.
It rained my first day from Irún, but was mostly spectacular after that. Very occasional rain in the afternoon, and didn’t get rained on while walking again until Galicia. What I learned is that weather forecasting is pretty difficult in that region. I took the advice about the Windy app - it’s a good one. But others’ advice about being prepared and flexible is smart. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. You won’t know until you’re there. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.