• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather!

Elaine M

Time of past OR future Camino
Finisterre Way Aug 2016
Sarria to SdC Sept 2016
Oia to Santiago Jun 2017
Finisterre Way Sept 2019
So, we are in Getxo on the first day of our Camino del Norte. The weather has come in - see pics. There are now massive waves crashing and visibility is even lower than the 2nd photo shows. It’s beautiful. However our question is simply what is the best source of reliable information about likely weather tomorrow, hour by hour, as we want to assess what time we would be best to set off on the next stage…and we obviously want to make sure it’s sensible to do so.

42A99B39-9F8A-4CE6-B4CA-378F9536CDBE.jpeg2AB52A69-E614-4ED6-92CD-5937582605F7.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would probably just do as @Tincatinker suggests.

However, In another thread here, @Kathar1na gives some suggestions for following the weather forecast at meteoblue.com . (Obviously you would need to enter your location, since the link provided in that post goes to weather on the Napoleon pass.)
Thanks we just found meteoblue - forecast not great for tomorrow

Attachments

• 27776682-CD0A-4854-BE42-0F59889AA154.jpeg
    27776682-CD0A-4854-BE42-0F59889AA154.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 27
I suggest asking locally because they’re the people who live with this weather. They’ll have experience of how long these early autumn (fall) storms are likely to last. Subject to global climate change impacts we are all still guessing at.
I guess your choices are: hunker down for a day or two; walk on ( Jerry and the Pacemakers had a song about that) or, well, actually there isn’t an or. I hope the sun shines for you sooner than you hope

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Choose your weather model and modeller with care, they are not all equal. ECMWF provide good results and can be found on the Windy App. However remember, weather is what you will get in the north of Spain at most times of the year.

Ask your accommodation host or the nearest bartender
There are some good apps with weather forchasts and I would check them daily. But as Tincatinker says ask the albergue owner or at the bar. There is no knowledge like local knowledge.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes we are hunkering down in Ribadesella today weather is looking good for tomorrow and the weekend.
There is a good pizza place there. They have the olive oil infused with peppers. As far as weather goes, earlier this year I used apple weather and weather.com with an occasional slice of Wunderground. They basically said it was gonna rain everyday... it rained once.

Here's the pizza place: https://g.page/bocca-cafe-ribadesella?share

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m interested. While having access to a (as reliable as is reasonably possible) weather prediction for “tomorrow” may seem useful how will it change your Camino?
For most get up, pack, (discrete necessities)/(shit, shave & shower), walk are the only available options on any given day.
The only given impact of what the weather does to your Camino is in comfort and pleasure. Appropriate clothing should close out the comfort issue. Pleasure, expectation and experience, are subjective. I’ve always gained more pleasure from crossing Crib Goch on New Year’s Day than I have from schlepping in to Villafranca del Bierzo on a balmy afternoon in May. But, that’s just my kink. My point here, possibly, is that unless the predicted weather is such that your personal safety will be risked by exposure then all you can do, as a pilgrim, is get up and walk. And my other point, probably, is that facing the forecast cited by the OP then the only thing a sensible pilgrim can do is ask their host if there is any helpful cleaning, painting or other useful work they could contribute for the next day or so

We talked to a few people and looked at various weather apps and sites as suggested here, and the general consensus was that, as the stage we were about to take was quite exposed, and thunder and lightning was forecast up to mid afternoon - and we did actually see lightning last night - it might be wise to do this. We have gear for wet conditions and we’re used to that (we’re Irish) but we are not so keen on taking chances with t&l in unfamiliar terrain. Took a car to our next destination, and explored the locality. The weather did clear a bit late afternoon, as forecast, and we are ready to hit the road again tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help and advice 😊

You are a lucky man we got lashed out of it at least 4 days of the first 8 😭
We got to Santiago de Compostela from Irún yesterday after 37 days and it only rained on the 37th day despite the doom and gloom on the weather app.
The advice above is good, look outside every morning and then make your decision ☔🤞

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.