• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Website for Anxious Pilgrims

fostersail1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), Camino del Norte (2013), Camion Frances (2014)
My wife and I completed the Camino on 31 October 2012. We were so moved by both the outer and inner journey that we developed a website focused on the "anxious traveler". We'll continue to add to the content as we make our Way down our own paths to peace and freedom. We hope you enjoy it and please, give us feedback on how we can make the site better. Oh, and for those who have not walked the Camino yet, don't be surprised when afterwards ... you want to do it again.
Buen Camino,
Joe and Elaine Foster
http://www.banxietyfree.com/walking-the-camino.html

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Joe and Elaine..... I have really enjoyed reading about your Camino and it is a very interesting website you are developing. And yes ...I absolutely do understand the need to go back to El Camino .... Just to recharge the batteries again.
Debbie

Debbie,
I'm really glad you liked it. We worked hard to put together a sight that might help those of us who would avoid such a journey because of fear or avoidance of the unknown, the unfamiliar.
Regards,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
WOW! What a fantastic, fun, funny, serious, reflective site ( and I have just started reading it!)

I am new to this forum and want to make sure you see this reply and then I'll share why (and how it came to pass) we are walking the Primitivo in September.....

Great multiple perspectives. wonderful quotes ( love the Gretzky one, well, I like all of them really!)

Good on ya

Buen Camino

Best..................Gary

Great website-will be on the Frances middle of May- my first. Your account of your camino gave me a more realistic expectation of the Camino. Keep on writing. Love it !!

Remy from Indianapolis (Indyrem on the forum)

Thanks for the positive response, it was difficult for us (especially me) to put those personal feelings out there for everyone to see. I would love to hear from as many pilgrims as possible about specific fears and anxieties that had to be overcome before taking those first steps. We'll incorporate them into our site. We hope to help people overcome those barriers that limit them from such powerful experiences.
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for sharing. I am really enjoying your website. I will be following all your amazing travel adventures. Take care.

My pleasure. Have you walked the Camino yet? Do you have any good anxiety stories to share? I'm considering heading back to do it again in June.
Joe

I am planning to walk the Camino Portugues starting from Porto in late August. I just have a couple of weeks of vacation so I have to pick a shorter route. I hope to walk the Camino Frances with my daughter in a couple of years when I have saved up enough vacation time.

Are you going to walk the Camino Frances again or try a different route? Having the camino experience will lessen the anxiety this time since you know what to expect now. I will be following your next camino adventure!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi bauzonc,
Just saw your reply, must of missed the automatic email.
My daughter wants to walk it as well when she graduates from highschool, but without her Dad! What's with that? I guess she thinks I'll interfere with her social life.
My plan is to walk the Camino del Norte. I'm flying into Marseilles on the 5th of June and then working my way over to Irun. I expect this to be a different experience because I will be alone. My wife will catch up with me in about a month. I'm going to try to post as often as possible about the experience and I'm also going to carry the added weight of a good SLR camera.
I'd considered the Camino Portuguese because I try to have a rule to visit a new country every time I go to Europe but I was worried about it being too hot in the summer.

Wow! This is exactly what I have been looking for and I am only into day 9 but look forward to reading more. You are both such great writers. I am hiking in September and am incredibly excited. Thanks for sharing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Our pleasure, we expect to publish the book in August. The title will be "In Movement There Is Peace".
We'd love to hear what concerns, what anxieties you might be dealing with in preparation for your Camino. Buen Camino

Buren Camino? Obviously meant buen. :). Also I linked to your site for info for friends/family - hope that is OK. Thanks again. Your stories are beautiful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Joe and Elaine, thank you for your website! You really have a unique and important take on this. I will be sharing it with my more anxious clients for them to follow as they prepare for their pilgrimages.

fostersail1 said:
It appears we were part of a "cultural and social phenomenon", hmmm, don't know how I feel about that...
An Ancient Religious Pilgrimage That Now Draws The Secular : NPR
http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013 ... cient-Path

This is an interesting article. I am on the Camino now, and it seems as though there are far fewer people walking with spiritual or religious motives. At times it feels like one big party, and most of the conversations are about where-did-you-start, where-are-you-going-today, what-albergue-did-you-like, rather than about what the experience has been, what it's meant so far, etc. In my experience, normally by now (after O'Cebreiro), pilgrims are finding other things to talk about.

I don't say that to judge, more as an observation. When I was here last fall, I met so many people who were sharing deep and moving life-changing stories about why they were walking. Now it's all logistics and how. Or perhaps I'm just in with a different crowd this time...!

(PS I am walking my own pilgrimage now, not working as a guide.)

Nancy

Nancy,
Thanks for the insight. Reading your post immediately put me into a "hmmm" state of mind. Is the Camino really changing? Is Nancy changing? Is it because of the younger summer crowd? We walked our Camino In September/October and even though it was our first we knew we were blessed with the solitude of our Journey.
I checked out your website; wonderful!! Great job on the content and the service you provide.

I'm starting the Norte next week on a solo journey. I can't believe this experienced adventurer is getting anxious about it. I think it's the prospect of the internal journey that is making me nervous.
Don't fret about these party goers, the Camino humbles us all sooner of later.

Also, I'd love to talk to you about India sometime.

Dear Joe,
You and Elaine did a fine job with the website. Thanks for sharing all the valuable and instructive information as well as the personal. The latest blog made a great impression, too. One of the insights resonates deeply with me. I, also, hope to have the opportunity for similar closeness, understanding and exploration of the depth of a particular relationship. What better place than the Camino?
You’re about 10 days into the Camino del Norte by now. I hope all is going well.
God bless you on your journey.
Michael

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
PAIGE I am reading your blog !!! Are you sure you are not a younger version of ME ?? :) . we all think we are separate BUT we are all connected :D

Cheers
Anne - 57 yrs- doing first Camino in sept- but recognize that my whole life has been a Camino :)

Paige I am leaving St jean September 18th - maybe we will see each other on the way.... having read your blog ... i hope so.....

Annie

This really made me smile. I so hope our paths cross. Feel so honored and connected to each person that I connect with about the Camino. My heart feels very open. Thank you so much for connecting with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Michael,
I am now 14 days into the del Norte and I've just published several blogs on the first few days. It has been a very humbling and thought provoking experiences. Walking alone like this is a new experience and I've had trouble adjusting to the solitude of the Norte. The weather has been mostly cold and rainy and combined with the muddy, mountainous trails it has surprisingly taken a toll on my knees. I've never had this issue with knees before. I'm taking a day or two off to see if they'll recover enough for me to keep walking. I'm holed up for now in the town of Castro-Urdiales. Wish me luck!
Joe

Hi Milepost

I am envisioning fine and beautiful weather :) ..... I have booked to stay at Orisson on the way up ... it was very easy to book ..... I want to have a relaxed walk as much as possible so as to absorb as much as I can. I have given myself 40 days..... have to be back at work after that......

Buen Camino
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am looking forward to celebrating my 57th Birthday on the Camino... in October.... really happy about that

I have inadvertantly established a tradition for myself... of celebrating my birthday in a new country and on a different adventure each year.... last year in Cambodia,,,, previous years in Austria, Italy etc etc

So this year on the Camino .... Heve not worked out where i will be... doesnt matter.... I wil BE where I am meant to be :)..

Annie

Annie,
I too, for the last several years, have been celebrating my birthday in a different country. Last year I turned 57 on the Camino Frances. The year before I was in Slovenia. A wonderful tradition but sometimes a bit lonely, depending on the company.

Oh well Loneliness like soo many other things are what we create in our minds ... so I have found...

"""" Lose the Fear and Live the Life""" :) well said.... the very reason I travel ... to explore life and lose the fear :)

Long story :)

Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie,
The "long story" is why I created this topic (and our website). So many people avoid such journeys as the ones we've untaken with the Camino. So many excuses; I don't have the time, I don't have the money, how will my family get by without me? We create our own barriers and often don't even recognize that it's actually fear that is holding us back. I want to document pilgrims stories of what at first held them back and then how they overcame those anxieties and ventured forth into a foreign land and an unknown environment, all in an effort to grow; physically, emotionally, and religiously/spiritually.

:lol: I have realized that scouring the Camino forums is not really a good thing..... it has made me anxious about so many things :lol: shall give the computer a rest ... and continue my planning and training

I do this EVERYTIME I go away and get outside my comfort zone..... have never cancelled an adventure BUT I always think about cancelling in the weeks leading to the adventure. I never tell people I work with what I am doing because they then try to transmit their fear onto me ..... and I dont want to live a fearful life :roll:

I travel to overcome anxious thoughts and live a full, inspired, life. The only way to live such a life , I have found, is to go outside my comfort zone on a fairly regular basis :)

Annie :roll:

That's interesting, you avoid telling people at work what you are doing because they'll instill some fear. That makes perfect sense, avoid the negativity. It's funny though, I do the opposite. I tell people at work ahead of time and I'll make a big deal out of it. That way I'll be too embarrassed to back out. If they come up with some fears I just try to blow it off and act all macho. It's probably a ying-yang thing. Both approaches work.
After two weeks on the trail I've been forced to leave the Camino del Norte. My muscles had responded wonderfully, hardening to the rigors of the daily mountains. My knees have a different story to tell. The last decent into Castro Urdailes was the last straw. They screamed "no more" and started stiffing up. No amount of ice or ibuprophen would get them working. I'm now limping my way through the French wine country trying to self medicate on some fine Bordeaux.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"I'm now limping my way through the French wine country trying to self medicate on some fine Bordeaux. ""

Plan B sounds good to me :0 I will be doing that if I have do.... it will a difficult choice... sipping on a red in the French country side:)

fostersail1 said:
Hi Michael,
I am now 14 days into the del Norte and I've just published several blogs on the first few days. It has been a very humbling and thought provoking experiences. Walking alone like this is a new experience and I've had trouble adjusting to the solitude of the Norte. The weather has been mostly cold and rainy and combined with the muddy, mountainous trails it has surprisingly taken a toll on my knees. I've never had this issue with knees before. I'm taking a day or two off to see if they'll recover enough for me to keep walking. I'm holed up for now in the town of Castro-Urdiales. Wish me luck!
Joe

Dear Joe,
I just finished reading the blogs. Wow, it's certainly been challenging, but an adventure nonetheless. I'm glad you had good company for part of the way, were able to get directions (sometimes from the most unlikely strangers) and find the albergues.
I'm praying the knees--and all your other parts--are feeling much better. The rest was much deserved, so you did well to recuperate.
Godspeed and good luck my friend,
Michael

Since leaving the Norte I continued to explore the French countryside, soon discovering that my knee would not even allow minor excursions. The tour of a vineyard or even wandering the corridors of a museum left me aching, limping and in search of a bench to sit on. I've now had to take this seriously if I'm going to heal up and continue with any type of journey. I've rented an apartment in Marseille, on the western edge of the French Rivera. It's in the heart of the city, minutes from the metro, the port and museums. I'll not be doing any exploring though. I've bought groceries and I'm holing up with my ice and my ibuprofen until the knee gets better.

We can all serve as examples, good or bad. I pushed myself too hard, I carried too much weight and I didn't listen to my body soon enough. My muscles were building, my stamina improving and I felt strong and invincible. Because of that, I ignored the pain in my knees. Now I'm paying the price. Pilgrims beware! Listen when the inner voice is calling to you.

I'm still having fun though. It's a great experience when a plan fails and you are thrown in a different direction.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"I'm still having fun though. It's a great experience when a plan fails and you are thrown in a different direction.""

Well Joe .. as you already know... that truly IS what the "Camino" is all about ..... it is not the track necessarily but the "Journey" it reveals..... Good luck to you.... AND thank you soo much for sharing.

I have believed this all along that ... that which we call the "camino" really is just synonymous with
" LIFE" what ever that is to each individual.

Some are disappointed if they do not complete " the Way" ..... others know that the "Way" is what it reveals itself to be to each individual . :)

Annie

That's the spirit, Joe. Heal and enjoy the time there and whatever goodness can be gleaned from your experience(s). On the bright side, there are far worse places to be holed up! I'm sure Siberia is not nearly as nice.

Prayers for continued healing and a buen camino--no matter how little or much actual walking is involved.
~ Michael

Annie, Michael
Thanks for the support! You both appear to already have the Camino spirit before even starting.
I can't help but post an excerpt from the epilog of our book that will be published in about a month or so:

The real Camino is no more an external physical object than the air we breathe or the food we eat. I’ve eaten of its fruit and drank its wine. The Camino nourished me. It lives inside of me; it lives inside each of its pilgrims. The Camino is composed of wonder and of searching. It’s made of wisdom and trust, faith and love. My physical journey along The Way has stripped away a lifetime of observing, of standing on the outside peering in. I started the journey as an observer, but I was slowly transformed. I became a part of the Camino and the Camino became a part of me. For without me, without its pilgrims, the Camino is but a dirt, stone and paved path that connects two points on the surface of a small planet..

Being holed up in an apartment in Marseille is frustrating. The port is only three blocks away and the beaches 10 blocks away. It's a great test in listening to my body which is saying "stay still!" while my mind is saying "go explore!" SO far, my knee is winning but I don't know for how long.

This is an open forum and I think all these post are of value to the majority of pilgrims. If anyone thinks otherwise please speak up. We sure don't want to bore anybody. :roll:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Joe

I love the Epilogue. I have also been enjoying your and Elaines blog and sent you a message through that site.

Indeed, AND to my surprise some things have already started to change in me during my preparation for the Camino...I am very happy about that... and that is BEFORE I leave home.... I feel there will be more to come on the track :D

If anyone does find these posts boring.. I am sure they wont mind and will just read elsewhere.

As for your sabbatical in Marseilles - well Camino and Life give us that which we "need" not necessarily that which we want .

Best Wishes
Annie

You're very welcome, Joe. I hope you're feeling a better this weekend.

The excerpt from the epilogue is beautiful and sounds familiar to me. A friend speaks of the Camino in much the same way.

I'm sorry the healing and frustration persist. YOu're doing what you need to do though. Human nature always wants to do what it can't at any given time, so you're truly practicing and living the virtue of patience right now--something we all could stand to be more proficient in.

And yes, there is much value in the posts and not a chance of boredom!

Heal and be well.
LIfe has much to show all of us,
Michael

I am looking forward to starting my Camino in October 2013, for those of you that have walked it, I have this question, how much did you walk a day to get into shape for the walk. I have been walking 1-2 hours daily should I up this? I also try to carry a pack with 10-15 pounds in it to ready my back for the long walk. The mountains scare me I live in FL and only have bridges to train on. Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks so much. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rachelle2013 said:
I am looking forward to starting my Camino in October 2013, for those of you that have walked it, I have this question, how much did you walk a day to get into shape for the walk. I have been walking 1-2 hours daily should I up this? I also try to carry a pack with 10-15 pounds in it to ready my back for the long walk. The mountains scare me I live in FL and only have bridges to train on. Any advice is welcomed.

Rachelle,
Any training is better than none but I too used to live in Florida and the absence of any significant hills is a problem. Walking on flat ground is so much different than the ascending and descending you will be doing on portions of the Camino. I'd suggest that you max out your backpack (at least 15lbs) and go find a high-rise condo (I think they might have some condos in Florida :) Walk up and down the stairs for a couple hours (or as long as you can stand it) a few times a week. I think that will help a lot and will also let you know how well your shoes are working. There is no need to be afraid of the mountains, it's a beautiful experience. Assuming you are starting in Saint Jean, leave early. You will have plenty of time and you will always be in company of other pilgrims. You will be fresh and excited and will have the stamina to make it to Roncesvalles. The real "weariness" will set in a few days later as your body adjusts to your new way of life: walk, eat, sleep and pray.
A more important thing to be concerned about is footwear. Make sure your shoes fit well and are broken in, have several changes (and varieties) of socks available and have some Compeed in your backpack. My wife and I coated our feet every morning with vaseline and that worked wonderfully to minimize friction, your worst enemy. Pay real close attention to even the slightest hot spot on your feet before it turns into a blister.
Since you are leaving in October, watch the weather, especially in the mountains. Make sure to have good rain gear and some warm layers to protect you (including gloves). Do not bring cotton, stick with the synthetics. I brought a lightweight down jacket last year but that's risky as well, it's light and warm as long as it's dry. If it gets wet, it's useless. Fleece is a better choice but it's a little bit heavier.
Here is a link to a page on our website. About half way down is a complete list of what we brought, our packs weighed 16lbs and 22lbs. http://www.banxietyfree.com/planning-the-camino.html
Let us know how it turns out,
Buen Camino
Joe

Rachelle2013,

I too live in Florida (Jax) and don't have much in the way of hills to train on. One of the other members of this forum suggested using the high school stadiums. Walk the track and then climb the stadium steps, then a couple more trips around the stadium and a trip up the steps, etc. I also started taking the stairs at work. I work on the 3 floor so with coming in in the morning, going to break and lunch I get at least 3 full rounds per work day. On the weekends I walk one of the bridges near my house.

I am glad for the name of this post... Anxious pilgrims. I am certainly becoming more anxious as time goes by...... Due to arrive st jean in sept...

Myanxiousness results from several factors...firstly me being me.....secondly (as my daughter will confirm ) I am an overthinker.......also I have been reading too many blogs and thoughts and fears of others. ( perhaps I should not be adding mine ) ...... So I am starting with my usual head talk when I am about to drag myself outside my comfort zone. "Maybeee I should not go " I know this does not make sense.. IT is the very reason I should go and the very reason I do so each year take myself outside my comfort ....

Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, Annie, Annie,
Relax! Your common sense has gotten you this far in life, don't start second-guessing yourself now.
Yes, the Camino may be unlike anything you've ever done, but you will also be surprised how easy it actually is. All you have to do is walk, walk, and walk some more. How you walk is the thing.
Prepare for weather, walk at your own pace, use hiking poles, don't push yourself too hard but don't underestimate your abilities, listen to your body ( a little ache or spasm of pain means slow down, let your muscles and tissues catch up), enjoy the cities and the countryside, meet lots of people.
I doubt your Camino will be as messy as that of those of us who walked the Frances starting this past mid/late May - weeks of rain. The countryside is lovely, the people friendly, don't overthink your upcoming experience.
That being said, my blog, http://kathyfootenotes.wordpress.com, is about my preparation starting a month before, and a few of my daily experiences on, the Camino.
Don't stress, you are in for quite an adventure.
Kathy

"Over thinking" in a cornerstone of anxiety. We roll all the possible negative outcomes around in our head and before you know it, bam! Increased heart rate, trouble sleeping, and real fear. Kathy put it perfectly ... you walk, then you walk some more and then you walk some more. It's as simple as that. Whatever you forget to bring, you can find it on the Camino, or better yet, you can learn to live without it.
Have faith, it will help you overcome the worries. Have faith in God, in the Camino, in your fellow pilgrims and the hundreds of people put on your path to guide you to Santiago. Most of all, have faith in yourself. One great trait of anxious people is that they are very well prepared for whatever journey they are stepping into. It can be a great asset.
I'm not a very anxious person so have often found myself stepping into environments where I soon realize, "Damn! Why did I do this? This is going to hurt! I should of prepared for this."
Think of anxiety as a great way to be prepared for your life changing journey. Oops! Did that just increase your heart rate again? :)

""Over thinking" in a cornerstone of anxiety. We roll all the possible negative outcomes around in our head and before you know it, bam! Increased heart rate, trouble sleeping, and real fear ""

hahahah YEP ... thats it...... I am not a stranger to living the new life.. the new journey.... etc etc ... have been doing that for 8 years... but even soo still go through the same old head talk :) ... Interesting really ... I can laugh about it now .....

My observation is that I ... and most of us.... do not like to leave ourselves open to "Vulnerability" ... being outside comfort zone ... no matter how many times we practice.... makes us vulnerable.... I relish and dislike that at the same time :) ........ hahaha Oh well bring on the "next" Camino ( I say Next because all of life is a Camino ) :)

Thanks for your input
Annie

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back