• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Week off coming up last week of October: Camino ideas?

Walden

Time of past OR future Camino
I have the last week of October off (9 days really) and am wondering if I can get some recommendations. I think, due to my partner's work commitments, I may be walking alone this time. I have walked the Camino Frances, Portuguese, Del Norte, Primitivo and Francegina over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a late October Camino that might have a few other pilgrims to meet. I don't want to be walking alone all week, without any chance of at least having some passing time with others. I think the social aspect of Camino is important too and really wouldn't walk it to be too solitary. (I have a parent's anniversary that week so don't want to be too alone either).

I am contemplating a section of the Frances again, as it usually has a nice few pilgrims, and being alone means that's encouraging. But I thought I'd ask for opinions first. The other option is to not use the week for Camino, and visit somewhere else, but Camino is calling and I am struggling to resist my final opportunity for this year, and likely til next Easter.

I remember Najera's vineyards looking beautiful in autumn sun.

Any advice welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd suggest the Primitivo but by late October it might be too cold. It's a reasonably popular route so you would get other pilgrims, and the infrastructure is good. I can't think of a route in the south where you are likely to meet other walkers. I'm with you about the Francés. It never disappoints me.

I'd suggest the Primitivo but by late October it might be too cold. It's a reasonably popular route so you would get other pilgrims, and the infrastructure is good. I can't think of a route in the south where you are likely to meet other walkers. I'm with you about the Francés. It never disappoints me.
Thanks Kanga

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
9 days late October - consider the Aragones from Canfranc. A wonderful path - meets up with the Frances at Obanos, just before Puenta la Reina. I've walked in Spring and Autumn and loved both. It's not a busy route but each time have met other pilgrims on the path - typically 'serial offenders' - oops I mean serial Camino Walkers. Some have come from the Arles Way in France - others beginning in Canfranc (or elsewhere).

Typically 6 days - add an extra day in Jaca to visit San Juan de la Pena monastery and that takes you to 7 days. When you arrive on the Frances and you might walk a day on to Ciraqui or Estella or a day in reverse back to Pamplona. You can take a bus to .... from Estella and Pamplona to get out 'out' again.

Depending on where you can fly into? From Madrid or Barcelona, you can take a train to Zaragoza and then another small train to Canfranc. I've read there is a new albergue in Canfranc.

9 days late October - consider the Aragones from Canfranc. A wonderful path - meets up with the Frances at Obanos, just before Puenta la Reina. I've walked in Spring and Autumn and loved both. It's not a busy route but each time have met other pilgrims on the path - typically 'serial offenders' - oops I mean serial Camino Walkers. Some have come from the Arles Way in France - others beginning in Canfranc (or elsewhere).

Typically 6 days - add an extra day in Jaca to visit San Juan de la Pena monastery and that takes you to 7 days. When you arrive on the Frances and you might walk a day on to Ciraqui or Estella or a day in reverse back to Pamplona. You can take a bus to .... from Estella and Pamplona to get out 'out' again.

Depending on where you can fly into? From Madrid or Barcelona, you can take a train to Zaragoza and then another small train to Canfranc. I've read there is a new albergue in Canfranc.
Thanks Jenny, food for thought.

Thanks Jenny, food for thought.
Given your criteria I’d do a week on the Frances. I always fly in through Madrid, so for the odd week would start in Pamplona, Logroño, Leon or Burgos with direct fast train connections to Madrid.

If pushed, I’d go for Leon or Pamplona - mainly because I like both cities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it the last 9 days in October or does your time run into November? If you’re willing to do a little research I’d bet many towns in Galicia are having celebrations around All Saints eve (or as we call it, Halloween) and also probably plenty of celebrations throughout Spain for All Saints and All Souls (Dia de Los Muertos at least in my part of the world). I’d investigate those possibilities and walk accordingly, which might center on the Muxia-Finisterre-SdC if you want a compostela, and hang in that area or visit other towns depending on what’s on their calendar

Edit: and while it’s not festival time in San Andres, if you decide on a Day of the Dead themed Camino perhaps a side trip to San Andres de Teixido—those who don’t go when they’re alive return once they are dead 😉

Last edited:
As an afterthought, this may make lodging a little tight and some things may be closed that last weekend…perhaps someone who lives in Spain or has walked the end of October knows…

I have the last week of October off (9 days really) and am wondering if I can get some recommendations. I think, due to my partner's work commitments, I may be walking alone this time. I have walked the Camino Frances, Portuguese, Del Norte, Primitivo and Francegina over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a late October Camino that might have a few other pilgrims to meet. I don't want to be walking alone all week, without any chance of at least having some passing time with others. I think the social aspect of Camino is important too and really wouldn't walk it to be too solitary. (I have a parent's anniversary that week so don't want to be too alone either).

I am contemplating a section of the Frances again, as it usually has a nice few pilgrims, and being alone means that's encouraging. But I thought I'd ask for opinions first. The other option is to not use the week for Camino, and visit somewhere else, but Camino is calling and I am struggling to resist my final opportunity for this year, and likely til next Easter.

A plus point for the section of the Camino Mozarabe between Granada and Cordoba is that you haven't done it before. In addition with it being further south the weather is liable to be better. The down side is that it is a Camino less travelled....great for accommodation but less so if you want to interact with other peregrinos. It might be worth checking with the Association of Santiago in Almeria to see how many left Almeria the week before you want to start. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

A favorite section for us for this time of year is Pamplona to Burgos. Lovely vineyards and pilgrims to meet up with.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back