• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weight loss - or gain?

forsterp

Planning to walk Camino frances from St Jean in Sept 2007 - first camino.
Question arising from interest more than concern. What weight change have pilgrims noticed when walking 800km over 4-5 weeks.Numerous variables - age, degree of fitness, weight at start,intercurrent illness on journey,calorific intake etc.
P.S Not proposing the camino as a weight management plan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have noticed not much change of weight but movement from fat to muscle.

40-50 age group, ate all I wanted when I wanted which was generally pilgrims menu in the evening with coffee and toast breakfast and bocadillo luch and tortilla if I felt hungry on the way. Be sure to get plenty of liquids too.

Buen Camino
William

My husband and I are both 59 and similar sizes, but I lost 6kg over 5 weeks walking and he stayed the same. But he started mostly muscle and I had 6 (actually probably 9)kg to lose. I did drink wine, ate bocadillos, menu del dia, cafe con leche, and chocolate close to the end of a long day's wallk, but I didn't eat desserts, lollies or cakes as I was hoping to trim down. I did better than I expected.
Magnara

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just read an online diary of a womans walk where she talks about losing enough weight so that her trousers became uncomfortable (too loose) would people recommend bringing a belt of some sort?

I'm 54 and started at 65kg and ended up 60kg.Breakfast was a coffee and lunch occasional-depending on availability on VDLP. then beer wine and dinner out at night. Definitely have a belt or velcro/adjustable pants.

Weight Loss and Gain

A bit off subject, but an interesting observation. My finger and toe nails grew thicker whilst on the Camino. I had a ridge about 4mm long of increased nail thickness after my Camino in August and September last year, which has gradually moved upwards and is only now just growing out at the top of my nails. Does a long period of intensive exercise such as this cause thickening of other bones in the body, not just finger and toe nails?

And if anyone has the answer - why?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
4mm? Certainly, excercise will have a certain amount of influence on bones, increasing calcium absorption (due to pulling of tendons on bones and pressure) but not on nails, as far as I know.

If it was your toenails, maybe it had to do with the walking (?) A fungal infection?

Nails are only thickened (in a positive way) by dietary changes.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I too had one nail appreciably thicken and another appear to have a (painless) bruise under it.The nail thickening is no doubt caused by constatnt pressure on that particular nail producing a compensatory thickening.Diet would have nothing to do with it

Nail Growth

Yes it was both toe nails and finger nails. Maybe if exercise was a factor then the finger nail thickening was due to using walking poles. But absolutely no doubt about it, a thickening of finger and toe nails about 4mm long, which I assume is the amount of growth over a 5 week period.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I lost about 7lbs over 13 days (Porto - Santiago, 185 miles on the route I took). I did notice that my hair and nails grew like crazy for a while after my return... I did eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies!

All 3 times I've lost about 10% of my weight which I'm sure is due to water weight but it's very important to stay hydrated just as well. I usually gain it all back in about 6 months due to the demon vin rouge.

Hair and nail growth increasing; my guess is due to an overall increase in your metabolic rate . . .

Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I lost about 2 dress sizes, but no weight. I was *really* surprised that I hadn't lost any weight because I'd lost inches. My trousers were tight at the beginning and falling off at the end - and they had elasticated bits that I could tighten - but that still wasn't enough. I ate as much as I wanted, and whatever I wanted. Drank plenty of water too. Unfortunately, I've lost much of the tone since I've been back. The one exception is my calfs - which were always really skinny... now my old knee boots are really tight and it's definitely muscle not fat!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Will be hard with tapas
but
Do not eat bread for one year...........................5kg loss..........bread alone.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.