• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weight loss while doing the Camino?

Claireabella

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de santiago - 2017
Although i want to walk the Camino to find out what the hell im doing in this life but i think it is also a good opportunity to lose a few pounds. Well okay about 28 lol... I was obsessed with walking last year and walked about 15 - 27k a day.I had a foot injury (not walking, it was dancing!) and i haven't gotten back into it. You see as much as i want to lose a few lbs, i want to savour the food and drink the wine too. In plain English, i would never diet and Camino at the same time!

For people that have done it, i just wanted to ask, is it possible to lose weight and if you have lost weight, how much?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I ate like a horse on my Camino Frances last year. I lost 5.6kgs during the 28 days it took to finish the trek but regained 3kgs within 5 months.
Last month at the Camino Portugues, several Vacalhaus and nice Menus later, I lost 2.2kgs and have not regained any weight lost.. yet.

By the way there is a similar thread to this somewhere in the Forum. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I ate like a horse on my Camino Frances last year. I lost 5.6kgs during the 28 days it took to finish the trek but regained 3kgs within 5 months.
Last month at the Camino Portugues, several Vacalhaus and nice Menus later, I lost 2.2kgs and have not regained any weight lost.. yet.
Wow! that's good 12 lbs. Oh jeez looks like i'll have to do the Camino at least twice then lol. Happy days!!

I loved there 1906 beer a lot! I still lost 4 belt sizes. Sad but I like beer at home as well got back 3.... Time to hit the trail, were there is no beer:rolleyes:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Although i want to walk the Camino to find out what the hell im doing in this life but i think it is also a good opportunity to lose a few pounds. Well okay about 28 lol... I was obsessed with walking last year and walked about 15 - 27k a day.I had a foot injury (not walking, it was dancing!) and i haven't gotten back into it. You see as much as i want to lose a few lbs, i want to savour the food and drink the wine too. In plain English, i would never diet and Camino at the same time!

For people that have done it, i just wanted to ask, is it possible to lose weight and if you have lost weight, how much?
Hy , I didn't do any diet but I lost 3.7 kg. in 37 day's of walking , wish you well , Peter .

Since December, I've been doing a fair amount of hiking. My body has dramatically changed in response to preparing for Camino.

I think that any fitness habit will be great for weight loss and muscle tone, and I am looking forward to my retirement on 11 June--at that time, my workouts are going to be more structured. Can't wait!

I used to do triathlons, but discontinued after a very severe asthma attack, but I seem to have that under control now.

My plan is to use Silver Falls (in Oregon) and Tryon Creek State Park as my standard workouts, but I also live near the Columbia River Gorge, so Dog Mountain will be another Go-To. I'm lucky to live in Oregon.

And I'm also looking forward to weight loss, vino tinto, and chocolate!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello there!

I lost 6 kg on my Camino! And I ate and dra(u)nk soooo much! :D Definitely you lose some weight during the Camino, although you will enjoy Spanish specialities.

Last edited:
I usually walk about 6 weeks and lose between 15-20 pounds.
Unfortunately, this year I gained it ALL back due to ankle injury.:eek:
I'm working now to lose at least 10 before I walk next spring.

The thing is, you're getting a lot of active hours in.
When you get home, if you don't keep up the activity, chances are the weight will come back.
Especially if you're my age and your metabolism has slowed down on its own :p

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Depending on the terrain and how much you carry, you will probably burn 400-600 calories per hour while walking. Most people seem to walk an average of 20-25km/day at a rate of 3- 5 km per hour - so somewhere between 4 and 8 hours of walking per day. Assuming 6 hours per day and 500 calories per hour, that's 3000 calories burned per day while walking. Consuming 3000 calories per day is a lot of food, especially if you eat good food and not a lot of sweets and sugary stuff - and your body is going to want nutritious food for sure because it will need the energy. So this means that yes, you should be able to eat great food, even desserts, and consume wine - AND - still lose weight.

Thinking of it another way... :)

A 750 mL bottle of wine has 400-500 calories in it, so basically while walking, you are burning at the equivalent to 1 bottle of wine per hour.

Also remember that the number of the scale won't tell the whole story. You will be building lots of muscle in your legs, which weighs more than fat, so you can loose quite a bit of fat and slim down while not moving the needle on the scale very much.

I usually walk about 6 weeks and lose between 15-20 pounds.
Unfortunately, this year I gained it ALL back due to ankle injury.:eek:
I'm working now to lose at least 10 before I walk next spring.

The thing is, you're getting a lot of active hours in.
When you get home, if you don't keep up the activity, chances are the weight will come back.
Especially if you're my age and your metabolism has slowed down on its own :p
Oh, I'm quite sure I'm older than you are!

First Camino I did I lost 10-12 kilos in body weight. Second Camino I lost about 10 kilos in body weight. My pants were baggy and my belt cinched all the way up by the time I finished.
I did not restrict my diet or hold back on eating on either Camino. I ate bread, meat and sweets and drank a lot of beer and wine. It seemed I was always hungry.
Of course I gained the weight back. It's almost impossible to duplicate the workout of walking 20-30 kilometers a day with a pack up and down hills.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you in your 50's? I doubt it!

I just got back from six weeks of cycling and eating French food. My weight did not change one pound.

Treking in Nepal I lose weight, but foie gras and French wine and cheese are hard to find there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A bit over 4 kilos on Camino 1 from a start of 76.5.

The next was 1.5 kilos from the same start. Yes, I got it all back but I really needed to! Here is an approximation of my wife's face when she picked me up at the airport. :eek:

I think the first time, I dropped an excess because I just was not very hungry for the first week and got too far behind in calories intake to catch up. Only later did I discover this is not rare for pilgrims. The next time around, I ate a good meal at least once a day whether I was hungry or not.

Breakfast is my typical large meal for the day. That really does not mesh with either the Spanish culture or the Camino itself. Desayuno is pretty spare. Which is okay because really everyone wants to get out on the Way asap in the morning. The social aspects of the coffee stops and evening meals more than compensates for the adjustment in routine. (Which is a BIG statement coming from me because I am not very sociable.)

B

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A bit over 4 kilos on Camino 1 from a start of 76.5.

The next was 1.5 kilos from the same start. Yes, I got it all back but I really needed to! Here is an approximation of my wife's face when she picked me up at the airport. :eek:

I think the first time, I dropped an excess because I just was not very hungry for the first week and got too far behind in calories intake to catch up. Only later did I discover this is not rare for pilgrims. The next time around, I ate a good meal at least once a day whether I was hungry or not.

Breakfast is my typical large meal for the day. That really does not mesh with either the Spanish culture or the Camino itself. Desayuno is pretty spare. Which is okay because really everyone wants to get out on the Way asap in the morning. The social aspects of the coffee stops and evening meals more than compensates for the adjustment in routine. (Which is a BIG statement coming from me because I am not very sociable.)

B
Yeah, they sure do eat some poor excuses for a breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day and at home I eat oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, fruit and coffee. In Spain, just a piece of toasted bread and some jam with coffee was the norm. Not nearly enough for me. When I could I made it a point to secure some fruit and energy bars to eat in the morning as I left the albergue.

Yeah, they sure do eat some poor excuses for a breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day and at home I eat oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, fruit and coffee. In Spain, just a piece of toasted bread and some jam with coffee was the norm. Not nearly enough for me. When I could I made it a point to secure some fruit and energy bars to eat in the morning as I left the albergue.

I will probably eat a croissant, or have some churros when they are available, and typically I eat an egg for breakfast--just one. We raise chickens, and the protein helps me get through the time from 7 am to 10 AM, which is when I have an apple and a string cheese...

When I could I made it a point to secure some fruit and energy bars to eat in the morning as I left the albergue.

Yes! That reminds me. I could never find much open in the morning so I started picking things up the night before. Hard-boiled eggs, some hard cheese, an apple or two and yogurt all keep well without refrigeration, at least overnight in Spring and Fall. I’d be a bit dubious about the yogurt in the really warm season though.

“Why not use the refrigerators provided?” one will ask. Simple, I am an early riser. I only had to stuff my liner into its carry sack (no noise), grab my pack and head out. I did not want to make any noise rummaging in the kitchen areas. Plus, oft times there was no kitchen.

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will probably eat a croissant, or have some churros when they are available, and typically I eat an egg for breakfast--just one. We raise chickens, and the protein helps me get through the time from 7 am to 10 AM, which is when I have an apple and a string cheese...
Yes, that protein from the egg is important when you walk the Camino. Helps your body recover as well. Even though it's just a walk, it's a long one and those daily miles work you out for sure.
What the heck is "string cheese"? Ha ha. Actually I've heard the term before when I was working overseas. A few of my co-workers were from Oregon.

Mark : )

String cheese is a stick of mozzarella cheese, and can be "peeled" away in strings. Melted, it has that delicious stringy texture--I'm sure you know all about mozzarella!

Here in Oregon, where we have a huge community of Mexican Americans, we have beautiful "queso" --big rounds of a white cheese. It also has a beautiful melted consistency.

You better plan on buying eggs & boiling them that's the only way I found I could get an egg for breakfast, your talkin dinner time!
Since it is Spain & definitely not Mexico get any notion you have of that style of cooking out of your mind or you will be bummed. They have a completely separate delicious way of cooking. I am just excited to see if you end up needing olives with your beer when you return. Beer has protein..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You better plan on buying eggs & boiling them that's the only way I found I could get an egg for breakfast, your talkin dinner time!
Since it is Spain & definitely not Mexico get any notion you have of that style of cooking out of your mind or you will be bummed. They have a completely separate delicious way of cooking. I am just excited to see if you end up needing olives with your beer when you return. Beer has protein..

I'm just answering a cheese question <3

As it is, I eat a few a olives every night. My personal favorites include black olives of any kind, and green olives stuffed with almonds or cheese. I sure know that culturally there are huge cultural differences between Mexican and Spanish cuisine; just as there are huge differences between Montana and Oregon weather! I do love that "Big Sky Country". You live in a beautiful place.

I may bring one of those nice little immersion boilers for eggs. That would work well for me, although I can do just as well on a healthy handful of nuts and some cheese of any type! Seriously, I am such a gourmand, and will eat anything unless it has tentacles! Yes, I did just say that!

If a bar/cafe is not too busy, ask them to fry up a tortilla francesa, (plain omelette) this is one way of getting hot cooked eggs in the morning, also can be used in a bocadillo as well.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm very easy to please in terms of food. Tortilla Francesa sounds just right.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If a bar/cafe is not too busy, ask them to fry up a tortilla francesa, (plain omelette) this is one way of getting a hot cooked eggs in the morning, also can be used in a bocadillo as well.
Another reason to learn Spanish so you can get food you like! Very good octopuse in Spain, along with blood sausage. Now I am hungry.

No problema. Puedo hablar Espanol. No me gusta pulpo, pero me gusta comer comida otra--como pollo, queso, frutas, y mas.

I know all about ordering cerveza y cafe' con leche. I won't be discussing bullfights, politics, or philosophy, so fortunately, I won't be in over my head.

Another reason to learn Spanish so you can get food you like! Very good octopuse in Spain, along with blood sausage. Now I am hungry.

I wish I knew earlier in my Camino, I saw a girl from Madrid order one towards the end of the Camino and learned what is was. I'm sure you could ask them to cook it with the awesome goat cheese and Jamon Serrano as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish I knew earlier in my Camino, I saw a girl from Madrid order one towards the end of the Camino and learned what is was. I'm sure you could ask them to cook it with the awesome goat cheese and Jamon Serrano as well.
Hey Bajaracer, I purchased a really sweet guide to Camino Lingo, by Reinette Novoa with Sylvia Ilsen. It's a "Lightfoot" Guide. It's been a great brush-up for basic needs, and very nicely assembled. I recommend it!

I'm just answering a cheese question <3

As it is, I eat a few a olives every night. My personal favorites include black olives of any kind, and green olives stuffed with almonds or cheese. I sure know that culturally there are huge cultural differences between Mexican and Spanish cuisine; just as there are huge differences between Montana and Oregon weather! I do love that "Big Sky Country". You live in a beautiful place.

I may bring one of those nice little immersion boilers for eggs. That would work well for me, although I can do just as well on a healthy handful of nuts and some cheese of any type! Seriously, I am such a gourmand, and will eat anything unless it has tentacles! Yes, I did just say that!
They have kitchens in most places you stay except in Galicia they don't have any pans. So if you have enough energy it is a very nice way to get to know people. You just have to go shopping after your shower. When you go I wonder if you will cook more due to the time of year. Have you asked others who have walked in oct-nov what you will find that time of year? I think your pack will be a little heavier.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a very good cook, but I probably won't have the energy to do much more than work a few corkscrews and slice up some sausage! I am happy to mix up a marinera sauce with garlic and olives, with sausage simmering in. That can be a delicious topping to pasta or even bread, with just a nice sprinkle of a grated hard cheese. I'm going to be keeping it very, very simple. Any sliced up vegetables can be nice for snacking, with a hard cracker and a frosty-cold ale. Again, I'm not picky. My aim will be nutrition first, hydration second, and plenty of fiber (fruits and vegetables). As I've gotten older, I find that I don't need as much food, but with a lot of walking, I know I will be ravenous!

If I were hanging out with people who wanted to cook, I would be happy to do that. My pack will indeed be heavier. I plan to carry water, bocadillos, chocolate, some cheese, some nuts. Fruit is good, but preferably something easier to transport--apples. I'm happily looking forward to picking figs, as I have figs at home, and love them. They are delicious drizzled with some balsamic vinegar with bacon wrapped around them, too!

My pack....I am ready to stay warm. Aside from the weight of food and drink, I will be carrying a nice, light sleeping bag. I will have to dig it out of storage, but it's a light down bag, and should be more than adequate. I have good rain gear, and an altus poncho, thanks to Robin with APOC, Portlandia chapter. I have one and a half teaching days with students, and then I'm packing up my classroom! Thursday and Friday I will be bringing things home, and I should be all wrapped up--hopefully--by Friday. My pension checks should start in August, touch wood!

Claire - back to weight loss…
I usually lose a little ‘middle-age’ bulk when camino-ing. I eat well (never bother cooking, too cheap to buy lovely meals in Spain) and always drink what the locals recommend.
Last year I had the pleasure to walk much of the VdlP with an awesome French couple. I have to say that my alcohol and cheese intake was seriously upgraded but the fun and frivolity was well worth it. Funnily enough, I still lost weight (that Spanish wine has magic qualities, I’m sure) Buen Camino

I just got back from six weeks of cycling and eating French food. My weight did not change one pound.

Akkkk! I must have been dehydrated from the plane. Looks like I gained some. All muscle, I'm sure....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I lost weight both times while eating a LOT! I also developed more muscle and came back 2 sizes smaller. :) I melted my belt buckle in a dryer and the very kind Hospitalero in Foncebadon found me a piece of rope to hold up my trousers as, yes, they literally fell round my ankles!:eek:

Sometimes the food left in fridges in some Albergues disappear in the morning. What I did was not to have breakfast at the place I stayed overnight in, start walking early, and then have breakfast on the first bar/restaurant I came across. That's easy on the Camino Frances as there's heaps of bars that serve breakfast early. :) I even had morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea whilst on a particular stage but the weight just kept dropping.

Last edited:
If you stay away from the pilgrims menu with wine (Menu del dia) and choose a more healthy menu, it is possibly to loose weight also with a normal BMI.
Walking the caminos makes me more fit, and I try to awoid "crap-food" menus with high fat and carbs. When you are walking, it is important to eat wise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I lost weight (10 pounds). My mother gained 2 pounds, and my wife gained 10 (that she has struggled to re-lose since the Camino). No guarentees you lose weight on camino

But to be fair/clear, we are pretty active (walk 4-5 miles every day) so the "sudden" activity didn't jolt her metabolism. Then walking 15 miles a day from an early hour in the morning (and carrying a 27 pound baby) caused her to be hungry and eat more at stops (and Spanish food is so good....).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I've eaten loads of stuff I wouldn't normally have when at home day to day (bread, chocolate, bread, pastries...) and it's still dropped off but I'm mindful that once I get home and unlikely to be exerting the same amount of energy on such a sustained basis it'll creep back on. However, in answer to your query: enjoy your Camino foodie treats because you will burn it off during your journey to SdC and there's really nothing better than hi-carb and/or sugary goodies to savour at the end of your day's walking (in addition to the wine/beer to wash it down with and the bucket of cold water to soak yer feet in!) Buen Camino

Yes, so am i reading all these posts! I ate octopus in France when i was younger and loved it. My friends were disgusted by the thought of it, very plain eating here in Ireland lol! I was very glad to see on a vlog pictures of food stands with them cooking it.....

I lost weight (10 pounds). My mother gained 2 pounds, and my wife gained 10 (that she has struggled to re-lose since the Camino). No guarentees you lose weight on camino

But to be fair/clear, we are pretty active (walk 4-5 miles every day) so the "sudden" activity didn't jolt her metabolism. Then walking 15 miles a day from an early hour in the morning (and carrying a 27 pound baby) caused her to be hungry and eat more at stops (and Spanish food is so good....).
I am simply impressed with your wife & Mother. That is having some survival genes to pass on. In my way of thinking your family is quite blessed. If your wife can carry a baby that far she can do anything!
Keith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You may be interested in these articles:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Weight_Loss/Weight_Loss.html

http://equipped.outdoors.org/2013/04/how-many-calories-do-you-burn.html

I particularly like this calculator that takes into account weight carried: https://www.fitwatch.com/caloriesbu...cking%2520with%2520moderate%2520load&mets=8.0

Basically, for me, between 5000 and 6000 calories burned a day! That backpack makes a huge difference. I once saw an online calculator that took the specific weight of the backpack into consideration into account, not just "light, moderate or heavy", perhaps you can find it.

This being said, make the bag too heavy and you will be in trouble, so all in moderation, as usual when it comes to weightloss.

You may be interested in these articles:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Weight_Loss/Weight_Loss.html

http://equipped.outdoors.org/2013/04/how-many-calories-do-you-burn.html

I particularly like this calculator that takes into account weight carried: https://www.fitwatch.com/caloriesburned/calculate?descr=backpacking%2520with%2520moderate%2520load&mets=8.0

Basically, for me, between 5000 and 6000 calories burned a day! That backpack makes a huge difference. I once saw an online calculator that took the specific weight of the backpack into consideration into account, not just "light, moderate or heavy", perhaps you can find it.

This being said, make the bag too heavy and you will be in trouble, so all in moderation, as usual when it comes to weightloss.
Thank you very much. Great help :)

Just back and have lost about 16 lbs. Wearing trousers at the minute that have not been on me since my previous camino in 2013 :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I've yet to do my pilgrimage (Sept this year), but as an 'elderly' woman, if I may….try to keep your goal of finding what you are supposed to do in this life, and let the pounds fall as they may, rather than focusing on the weight issue. I do wish you Buen Camino.

Having just finished my Camino, from St Jean. I lost precisely................. ZERO :(

must have been all the bread and wine :oops:

A 750 mL bottle of wine has 400-500 calories in it, so basically while walking, you are burning at the equivalent to 1 bottle of wine per hour.
So....let me get this straight...I can walk along and if I keep my wine drinking down to, say, a bottle an hour, as long as I am walking I will not gain the weight? November Moon, where have you been all my life?? I am knitting a wine bottle coozie right now!

€60,-
I lost 2 notches on my belt and had to add 3 of my own! I had plenty of weight to lose though, and still do. I was never on any sort of diet on the Camino. I just ate less because for the first week I was too tired to eat and after that I found I just wasn't as hungry as I normally was.

Being thin I must say this issue worries me a little. Also I'm not a great eater (even when I do hike), no way I can gain back all I burn.

Though being small you also burn less calories in the first place. It's no big deal... is it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello CaminoDebita,
First of all, congratulations on your retirement. There's no holding you back now! I also live in Oregon (Salem) and use Silver Falls trails for conditioning. I will be headed to San Sebastián on September 6th for the Camino Norte/Primitivo route.
I would enjoy it if we could join one another on a hike and talk about our coming adventures. Have you been there before? This will be a first for me.

10kg loss on the Camino Frances Pamplona to Santiago in 2012.

Just back from the Camino Portuguese Porto to Santiago and lost 6kg . . . delicious food including a 5 course meal in the Santiago Parador!

I lost 15 lbs on the Camino and gained 8 back when I got home, but it has stayed off for two years. I also am shedding at least 8 lbs of BACKPACK when I go again in late August. I have no doubt that I'll lose more weight. And eating bread bread bread to boot! I got so sick of bocadillos and discovered that I could just order a half order of ham and a half order of cheese for lunch, rather than the sandwich. That was NOT for weight loss. Just for being tired of all the bread, no matter how good it was. But when I got to Galicia, I didn't EVER pass up an opportunity to have a piece of Tarta de Santiago! And still lost the weight. (But I have never liked beer, so I was ahead of the game in that category!)

My husband lost 6 lbs. while on Camino, consuming lots of calories. I gained 5lbs. (only muscle gain, you understand!). I recommend eating the big meal as a late lunch, around 2-3 pm, and having something light for dinner.

I lost 15 lbs on the Camino and gained 8 back when I got home, but it has stayed off for two years. I also am shedding at least 8 lbs of BACKPACK when I go again in late August. I have no doubt that I'll lose more weight. And eating bread bread bread to boot! I got so sick of bocadillos and discovered that I could just order a half order of ham and a half order of cheese for lunch, rather than the sandwich. That was NOT for weight loss. Just for being tired of all the bread, no matter how good it was. But when I got to Galicia, I didn't EVER pass up an opportunity to have a piece of Tarta de Santiago! And still lost the weight. (But I have never liked beer, so I was ahead of the game in that category!)
I won't be passing up the Tarta de Santiago, i make cakes myself so it will be good to compare!

Attachments

• 2013-05-22 23.19.21.jpg
    2013-05-22 23.19.21.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1382730640242.jpg
    1382730640242.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 5
For people that have done it, i just wanted to ask, is it possible to lose weight and if you have lost weight, how much?[/QUOTE]

I just returned from doing the Camino Frances last month walking it in 32 days with one rest day. I ate and drank with little reservation (other than opting for salad instead of french fries a few times for health and well being sake) and still LOST 7 kilos. I came home to wearing pants I hadn't been able to wear in a while. It was wonderful. My wife said one more month and I would be perfect...I said when am I allowed to go again? :)

€83,-

I am overweight but walking the Camin0 was never about losing weight, as - even though you will definately burn calories during your walk - you need to listen to your body and eat a lot of proteins divided in small rations throughout the day as not to lose energy. I just finished my 2nd Camino and dread I might even have put on weight, the food in Portugal and Galicia is just soooo delicious. But as soon as you start your journey, you will realize that loosing weight is not the issue, the imporant thing - at least for me and is my personal experience - is absorbing the beautifull surroundings, landscapes and delicous gastronomy the Camino has to offer. You might or might not lose weight, but you will have a different look on life afterwards, as you will be so proud of yourself. I experienced it as redefining my personal limit. Don't focus on the weight losing, focus on how well you will feel about yourself when you arrive at the gates of the Cathedral in Compostela. By then the weight issue will be insignificant. Bon Camino!

Yup, as much as my latest Caminos have been about gaining control on life, that has included weigth. which is why 3 weeks once a year is just not enough. But if you deprive yourself of what you need for the road, you will hit a wall, and fast. Leaving Lugo in the early am I had to go without eating. It was on a Sunday, so the first time I encountered food was after 10km. Fried eggs on wholegrain toast, and ham! YES!!!! The next 12 km, to San Ramon just flew by! On Norte I decided to forgo a meal is Zarautz, I think, never thought I would make it to Deba. EAT!!!!! You need to. And no matter what you eat, you will still lose weight, at leat is you walke 20km a day on average and schlep your gear ;0) Daily tourirginos ... just remember that the average Spaniard will used 60 l. of olive oil a year. Better start running without those backpacks ;0)

I'm lucky to live in Oregon.
Spent 4 months in Oregon in 2013. After 24 states visited I would say it`s the best place in US and one of the reasons to say that is the many opportunities to hike (I did around Crater lake and it was awesome). You are lucky to live in OR!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello CaminoDebita,
First of all, congratulations on your retirement. There's no holding you back now! I also live in Oregon (Salem) and use Silver Falls trails for conditioning. I will be headed to San Sebastián on September 6th for the Camino Norte/Primitivo route.
I would enjoy it if we could join one another on a hike and talk about our coming adventures. Have you been there before? This will be a first for me.
Thank you very much.

I would love to do a hike with you at Silver Falls, and let's stay in touch. I'll be in Eastern Oregon for about a week, hiking up and down mountains in the Burns area. Then, I am going to take a few hiking days at Silver, followed with a trip to Washington state.

Good for you for doing something a bit more remote than the Camino Frances. I have decided I want to put in the time with that and really check it out. I'll be flying out of PDX on 28 Sept, arriving Madrid 29 Sept, then flying to Pamplona. The good folks at Corazon Puro will pick me up and I'll have them feed and shelter me for an evening before they cart me to SJPP. Once there, I'll spend the night of 30 September before walking up the Pyrenees. I've reserved my room at Orisson, and feel like it's all coming together!

I have some weight to shed, but I think that if I can get going on that with greater fervor, I'll be better equipped to walk the Camino. Wish me luck! And we will hike soon.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Spent 4 months in Oregon in 2013. After 24 states visited I would say it`s the best place in US and one of the reasons to say that is the many opportunities to hike (I did around Crater lake and it was awesome). You are lucky to live in OR!
I live in paradise, and am grateful every day.

I lost 12kg in 34 days but I have coeliac disease and lactose intolerance so no bread and no coffees etc. Took a year to put it all back on!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband lost 6 lbs. while on Camino, consuming lots of calories. I gained 5lbs. (only muscle gain, you understand!). I recommend eating the big meal as a late lunch, around 2-3 pm, and having something light for dinner.

Great tip. I only worked this out towards the end!

I just returned from the CdN and gained 3lb. Copious amounts of wine was consumed. :)

Thank you very much.

I would love to do a hike with you at Silver Falls, and let's stay in touch. I'll be in Eastern Oregon for about a week, hiking up and down mountains in the Burns area. Then, I am going to take a few hiking days at Silver, followed with a trip to Washington state.

Good for you for doing something a bit more remote than the Camino Frances. I have decided I want to put in the time with that and really check it out. I'll be flying out of PDX on 28 Sept, arriving Madrid 29 Sept, then flying to Pamplona. The good folks at Corazon Puro will pick me up and I'll have them feed and shelter me for an evening before they cart me to SJPP. Once there, I'll spend the night of 30 September before walking up the Pyrenees. I've reserved my room at Orisson, and feel like it's all coming together!

I have some weight to shed, but I think that if I can get going on that with greater fervor, I'll be better equipped to walk the Camino. Wish me luck! And we will hike soon.
I too will be enjoying the the services of Corazon Puro, and will probably be a week ahead of you. Doing similar travel pattern; Vancouver to Madrid, but taking the train to Pamplona. I wanted to get in at least one train trip. Oregon is very close to my heart. My lifelong friend who recently passed on from illnesss lived in Tillamook - so many memories. Haystock Rock is one of my favourite spots on the coast. (much of my adult life in the U.S. before moving back to Vancouver Island 11 years ago). Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too will be enjoying the the services of Corazon Puro, and will probably be a week ahead of you. Doing similar travel pattern; Vancouver to Madrid, but taking the train to Pamplona. I wanted to get in at least one train trip. Oregon is very close to my heart. My lifelong friend who recently passed on from illnesss lived in Tillamook - so many memories. Haystock Rock is one of my favourite spots on the coast. (much of my adult life in the U.S. before moving back to Vancouver Island 11 years ago). Buen Camino.
To you too, Movinmaggie!

Tillamook is where my parents first lived in the early days of their marriage. The Oregon coast is beautiful, as is California. I've been down the Pacific Coastline all the way to the tip of the Baja Peninsula, and I'm in love with it: I remember going out into a small boat at Guerrero Negro to watch the whales and their young. In that small boat with my family, the whales came up all around us, doing tail hops, and sidewise floats to watch us. Magical!

Glad you got that train trip in. I dearly love trains, but as I'm traveling alone for the first time in years, I decided to cut myself a little slack. I'll admit that I found the Atoche (am I remembering that name right? Probably not) to be exceptionally interesting to look at....who knows? Maybe on the way back?

To you too, Movinmaggie!

Tillamook is where my parents first lived in the early days of their marriage. The Oregon coast is beautiful, as is California. I've been down the Pacific Coastline all the way to the tip of the Baja Peninsula, and I'm in love with it: I remember going out into a small boat at Guerrero Negro to watch the whales and their young. In that small boat with my family, the whales came up all around us, doing tail hops, and sidewise floats to watch us. Magical!

Glad you got that train trip in. I dearly love trains, but as I'm traveling alone for the first time in years, I decided to cut myself a little slack. I'll admit that I found the Atoche (am I remembering that name right? Probably not) to be exceptionally interesting to look at....who knows? Maybe on the way back?
I'm solo as well, by choice. My first job in Toronto as a youth was at the Canadian Pacific Railway; never got trains out of my blood. Take care and who knows…perhaps along the way. I also was able to get the res in Orisson.

Truthfully? If you are walking the Camino everyday with a pack you will loose some pounds, and you will only get a modest dinner and wine for dinner, with your fellow travellers, a very nice ending to a long day. The Camino is a way of life, one that can lead to new and better attitudes that will make long lasting changes.

This discussion does bring up the point that how much weight you loose does depend somewhat on how fit you are to begin with and how much fat you have available to lose. Weight loss is just the body burning fat for energy if you haven't consumed enough calories. For people who are already quite fit without much fat to lose, and who are active, they've probably already found a good balance between food and activity and will likely keep that up on the Camino, so probably no net loss. Or like some have reported - gained some weight due to the extra wine, bread, and cakes that they don't normally eat :) For people who do have some fat available to burn off and maybe who aren't as active in their daily lives, the Camino can be a fat shredder. Either way, walking is good for your health.

Being thin I must say this issue worries me a little. Also I'm not a great eater (even when I do hike), no way I can gain back all I burn.

Though being small you also burn less calories in the first place. It's no big deal... is it?

Inbar - I would focus on making sure that the food you do eat is nutritious so that you are giving your body the vitamins and minerals that it needs. Go for quality rather than quantity :) I think that for people who are expending a lot of energy, but don't have large appetites, this is key. So for breakfast, choose an egg and potato tortilla rather than a croissant or a little cake/pastry, for example. Take trail mix or something to munch on, or get some cheese and jamon. You can find hard boiled eggs in stores, which make a good, nutritious snack. When you get a coffee, get a cafe con leche so that you have the milk too.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back