• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weight loss

Jen Juneau

Time of past OR future Camino
Future...leaving Colorado 08/10/2014
What is the average weight loss while walking the Camino? (roughly)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
?? Cafe Grande con Leche y Pain Y Chocolat, y Cerveza Y Nuts y Vino y mucho Bocadillos, Queso y otras Plato Combinados y CHIPS! Lots of opportunity for snacking, can't walk the distances without the necessary nourishment, did lose a lot of ins from my upper legs? thighs? but weight loss not guaranteed, unless you doing it all very fast and very far...

Boy is that a tough question. I have no experience but as a retired nutritionist/RD I can tell you what factors you need to consider:
how far does a person walk each days - 10 miles/6.2 kms or 25 mi/16 kms
how many calories do they eat - 3 meals and 3 snacks of high fat/calorie food or just a small light breakfast and 2 other meals
what does the person drink - high calorie beverages like regular soda or alcohol or cream and sugar in coffee or water
does the person hold extra water weight from eating lots of sodium or have extra water weight simply from walking long distances daily
The list goes on.
It will be interesting to see what men vs women have to say on this topic.
Buen Camino! I will have an answer when I get home at the end of June.
Stefania

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
i think it depends how much you eat on the way the perigrino meals are quite large and the amount of wine or beer generous to say the least my wife and I did the Frances 3 years ago and we both lost about 14lbs and we are not slim. I do have to say that there are cheaper and quicker ways to loose that amount, but non better Jen it wil be one of the best if not theeee best experiences of your life, the people the places, and just being alive cannot in any other way be replicated. what I am saying is just do it and the weight loss will be a by-product. We are leaving for Dublin airport in 9 Sundays time and we cannot wait to do it all again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last month - 11 days walking - only one hot meal - lots of oranges. 260 km and I lost 100 grams. But it would have been more had I not, after 11 days of rain, while waiting for the night sleeper to Madrid consumed 3 hot chocolates, tarta Santiago, fudge cake in that sumptuous cafe along from the pilgrims' office and a big lump of the Galician bread full of rasins. My appetite diminishes while on the Camino but the moment I stop.......................

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
40 days, about 10 lbs., but unfortunately gained it back. I was glad my two pairs of pants had draw string!

I find it the most effective diet there is - eat and drink as much as you like and still lose over a stone in 5 weeks. My first time I had to buy a belt after about 10 days as my trousers were getting so loose.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I put on a pound on the Camino.Retreat with Rebekah, Kathy and Mike. No idea why.

I loose a few kilos each time and we eat well. But more importantly I loose inches, gain muscle, and feel fantastic. My knees are pretty crook from old skiing accidents and they worry me at the start of the walk. The muscles around the knees strengthen during the walk so by the end my knees are fine.

I lost about 14 lbs over 34 days and have kept about half of it off. I will be setting off again in May so will be interesting to see what happens this year without my daughter's bad influence!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hardening up is what I aim for these days. I love feeling the new dynamic changes in my body while I'm walking the camino. I could care less about inches and pounds, but my new (hard-ish) body when I arrive in Santiago is something I celebrate among many other reasons!
Today after a long walk I went to a tea/pastry cafe and ate a slice of banana cream pie :eek:..... just part of the balancing act prior to walking the camino.

In 2004 at 65 when I first began walking my height was 172 cm and weight 65 kilos. By the end of that camino and ever since my weight remains 61 kilos. Yet each time entering Santiago I physically feel remade; my bones may be the same but they seem re configured. Perhaps even more important than any physical slimming down and tightening up has been the psychological change during each camino. I have learned my limits as well as the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Compared with nine climbs up O Cebriero daily trivialities in ordinary life now have little importance!

Nevertheless, what matters is to DO IT! As Churchill said after Dunkirk "we will go on to the end".

MM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On each of my 3 caminos I have lost about 10 kilos.. about a kilo a week... always wondered what would have happened if I had kept on walking! It takes me about 18 months to two years to put it back on again.

As Churchill said after Dunkirk "we will go on to the end".

MM

There are many explanations of what is meant by the greeting "Ultraeia!" (And spellings). But the one I like best because it is so multi-faceted is "Go beyond!"

I think I put on weight. Menu Peregrino is a lot more than I usually eat at one sitting.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I lose around 1 1/2 kg per week. I tend to eat more, much more than the habitual the first days, but after a week or so I come back to a more or less "normal" diet. Only than I indulge on things that usually avoid for medical reasons, as mature cheeses, good desserts (¡tarta de Santiago!) or the odd cup of "orujo". My rationale is that my organism can burn off everything while walking so many daily miles...so please don' t tell me that I am wrong.
I, too, gain the weight back quite soon, after coming home :(

I always struggle with my weight and now walk 8 miles every day which allows me to eat and drink as I choose and maintain my weight.
On my last Camino I only lost 3 kilos but enjoyed the food and drinks along the way.:D

I always lose 5kilos although eat and drink all I want and put it all back on by Christmas. Shows how unhealthy my diet is when not walking a Camino !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hardening up is what I aim for these days. I love feeling the new dynamic changes in my body while I'm walking the camino. I could care less about inches and pounds, but my new (hard-ish) body when I arrive in Santiago is something I celebrate among many other reasons!
Today after a long walk I went to a tea/pastry cafe and ate a slice of banana cream pie :eek:..... just part of the balancing act prior to walking the camino.

I always thought the third part of my training for the camino was learning how to eat at each albergue restaurant and bar to enjoy all the culinary delights of the camino

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I did not lose weight, but I lost inches. Even when the camino is a short one, I always slim down and "harden up" them muscles! Problem is stopping the big fuel/anesthesia-intake once I get home!

This is what I look forward to, the hardening up! I want to lose fat, but gain muscle...so for those looking to lose weight, realize that if you don't lose as much weight as you would hope...realize that muscle is heavier. Also keep in mind that muscle needs more energy....I.E. food! I know for myself that even when I get to my destination, it doesn't mean to stop walking altogether.

I also feel in my heart I will be a repeater and look for future long walks!

Kris

Wow, difficult question. It all depends on your camino diet, i suppose.
Its just like real life, calory intake and calories burned ratio.

I am a very fit guy. Runner, lots of fitness and other sports. I ended up losing 3-4 kgs (6-8lbs) after my camino frances from sjpdd to santiago. This wasnt fat, i dont have enough fat too loose. This was pure muscle for me. And thats also because of the camino diet. I never intended on loosing weight and wasnt to happy about it either. When you dont have any fat, loosing 3-4 kg of muscle is alot and this doesnt make your body look any nicer. Hahaha. Sometimes loosing weight isnt a positive thing.
The camino diet is not the best diet in the world. You can eat alot, but its mostly foods that do not do anything for your body. Just See the first replys on this thread. This is soooo true and it made me laugh :)
This does not mean that you will not loose weight though, but usualy loosing weight like this, is the weight you gain back easily when going back to your day to day life and routine, unless you change your ways of course.

I am know finally at the point where i have gained back most of my muscle loss and thus my weight. Something most people dont want hahhaha.
This may i am doing another camino again. I hope i am not gonna loose muscles anymore. Maybe this time i'll eat lots of boiled eggs everyday :))

Oh yeah, i too was very very happy my pants had draw string. It would have been very awkward without them. The question is, for who? :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've yet to set foot on the Camino, but will start a 300-mile section on April, 28. I have however completed countless long distance hikes, including sections of the Appalachian Trail totaling almost 1800 miles. Twice I have done 300 mile jaunts on the AT. On one of those, I started slightly chubby and lost 20 pounds. The other time, I started not-quite-so-chubby and lost 8 pounds. Level of fitness, age, terrain and pace all factor into the formula (and of course kinds and amount of nourishment).

Mmmmmm, yes, one must mind that "balance" ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I lost 8 pounds in 43 days and gained it back in four months.

I lost 16 pounds in 5 weeks.

I posted before but will try to be more helpful this time!. The white rolls, pan, bocadillos are very hard for me to digest. On the first camino I ate everything I could? and began to realise that I didn't need to eat before I started to walk, much at lunch-break? and could manage if I ate less during the day and a good protein/less bread/chips meal at night. Also others I walked with ate less during the day and had more energy. You must drink plenty, include isotonic drinks (at home I never drink any soft drinks) but walking distances is different. I love Tortilla, and ensalada mixte is everywhere. If you want to carry food, carry cheese, olives, canned tuna, nuts, fruit?. CHOCOLate
Above all enjoy the Spanish choices...and the Clara y Vino Tinto.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I try to walk the Camino each year now, and it is a great way to lose weight also, 1 year i lost 19 kilos but i walked the Camino Via de la Plata and Frances without stopping for 9 weeks of walking.

The last 4 years I did 4 hiking/camino's for amonth each. Every time I loose a kilo a week. When I try to visualize how much that is: like loosing the equivalent of half a packet of butter a day!
Not bad, isn't it! :)

The last 4 years I did 4 hiking/camino's for amonth each. Every time I loose a kilo a week. When I try to visualize how much that is: like loosing the equivalent of half a packet of butter a day!
Not bad, isn't it! :)
I normally take a small tent with me, this way i am not restricted to when i can and can not walk.....i can walk at 5 am to 11, 12 pm...when most people are trying to sleep in the albergues whilst listening to the snoring, i might still be walking, this is how i lost 19 kilos :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I normally take a small tent with me, this way i am not restricted to when i can and can not walk.....i can walk at 5 am to 11, 12 pm...when most people are trying to sleep in the albergues whilst listening to the snoring, i might still be walking, this is how i lost 19 kilos :)
So your secret is walking till evening.
19 kgs is really a lot! Many people would be jealous fot that . Does it still feels ok to your body?

Last edited:
So your secret is walking till evening
.19 kgs is really a lot! Many people would be jealous fot that . Does it still feels ok to your body?
I do not always walk so late, if i find a nice bottle of wine and village, then i will finish for the day and get drunk....yes my body feels ok..i still eat on the camino, i am not saying i walk that late all the time, but i have the decision with my tent.

For me, 5 pounds lost in pre-Camino training, plus 10 more on the Camino itself. Unfortunately, it's finding its way back now that I'm not walking a half marathon every day. :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lost 22 lbs, just about the weight of my pack, with water, training for the Camino. I think I gained a little on the Camino (had a couple of beers with chips most afternoons which probably did it). I know I gained even more in three days in Madrid after the Camino. Total gain on the trip about 5 lbs. Significant net loss if you count the training loss.

Karl

Weight loss?? You actually expect to loose weight on the Camino? Yes you are walking 15/20/25 km per day, but when you think about those "menu de pilgrim" ( chips or fries; snacks; vino tinto; tapas!) you will need to go on a diet when you get home. LOL;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started my post winter training this week. I will probably walk 20K two or three times a week until I start from SJPdP on May 11th. I will "retuned" my muscles by then and possibly lost a few pounds. Walking the Frances I will lose another 10 pounds. I will then spend all summer visiting Spain and despite short daily walks I will still regain most of them, and probably complete the exercise by next springs reawakening! :oops:

I loose a few kilos each time and we eat well. But more importantly I loose inches, gain muscle, and feel fantastic. My knees are pretty crook from old skiing accidents and they worry me at the start of the walk. The muscles around the knees strengthen during the walk so by the end my knees are fine.
This is also my experience. I've learned to use neoprene braces for the first week at least.

I lost 10kg somewhere between SJPD & Santiago de Compostela. I miss my chubby face so next time I walk I'll eat those chips/fries that the Spanish have no idea how to cook properly. And I'm going to eat ice cream and chocolate as I avoided both.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my first camino I learned the hard way never to feel smug about weight loss. At Villadangos del Paramo glanced in the mirror my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 k later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes.

Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Ever since I avoid mirrors!

Margaret Meredith

Although I lost about 7 kilos (15 pounds) on my first Camino (35 days) last year, I was not trying to lose the weight. In fact, I viewed weight loss, per se, as a collateral or side benefit to walking a camino.

I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, though never to excess, as I have a permanently installed bariatric lap band. I think of it like a speed governor on my mouth and stomach when eating. In my case, my eyes ARE literally larger than my stomach, at least the top portion...:eek:

On the other hand, and as others have commented, I did like the tightening up of my body and fat becoming muscle. By the time I got to Santiago, all my clothes fit much looser. I felt much healthier and fit, both physically and mentally. THAT is the primary benefit to the camino, at least IMHO.

In fact the only thing that expanded in size were my feet. By the time I got home, my feet were a half size larger than before my camino. This meant that many of my casual and dress shoes at home were now snug or did not fit. So, I just started wearing my hiking boots or sandals. Life gives you lemons...you make lemonade. It's all good.

Of course, like most folks, I gained all the weight I lost back over the "down" months. I have started walking locally to condition pre-camino, but I am not intending to lose weight. If all I do is wake up my sleeping muscles and connecting fibers I shall be happy.

But nothing can really prepare one for the first days out of St. Jean Pied de Port. Having had that experience once, I am now resigned to just take smaller steps and get to my day's destination when I arrive. It is not going anywhere. This time, I am going to enjoy the journey more than I did last year - and the camera is remaining home.

This year, I will work as an Amigo in early June at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. So, I will have to me more careful about eating , especially once I arrive at Santiago.

I have five weeks and counting until I hit the road again, and I cannot wait!:)

Here are my 2 cents worth :

When you subject your body to a negative caloric balance (burn more calories than you consume) for a longer period of time (like walking the camino) you are going to burn a portion of the fat reserves you are carrying. If you are working a lot harder that what you body is used to, (as long as protein is available in you diet) your body will also build muscle at the same time that you are burning up your fat reserves. Muscle is heavier than fat on a volume basis.

All this equates to a number of possibilities : walking the Camino can cause a (great) deal of weight loss, (read loosing fat) and help you loose inches around your waist (and not just your waist for that matter; spot weight loss does not exist; your fat reserves will be depleted equally from all over your body). If you are getting substantially fitter due to long daily walks, you will also add lean muscle bulk which can add body weight. [so some people will loose inches, (fat), without loosing weight as they have also gained muscle in the meantime . .]

At the end of the day, in my mind, these are important things for weight conscious folks to keep in mind when on the Camino :

- Make sure you fuel your body (you're burning upwards to an additional 2000 calories a day) with carbo-hydrates and protein and plenty of fluids (H2O preferred), consume smaller more frequent portions, avoid big, heavy meals. Of course this should come from healthy food, preferably not highly processed, rich in vitamins and minerals. Water is actually needed to mobilize and metabolize fat (aside from many other important body functions such as proper functioning of your digestive system, joint health, heart and lung function etc. etc.), so hydrate when you can, before you get thirsty. Different people will respond in different ways to a considerable change in physical activity such as daily long walks/hikes.

- If not accustomed to significant regular physical exercise, don't expect miracles, start slow and avoid undue stress to the whole body; muscles, joints, cardio-vascular system and even endocrine / digestive system. If at all possible, gradual changes are easier 'absobed' or 'accomodated' by your body than drastic changes ; and this goes for exercise, eating, sunshine exposure etc.etc.

Finally, I recommend to focus on how you 'feel' on a day to day basis and try listen to your body . . . don't focus on weight loss.
For sure get plenty of rest and plenty of fluids. Considering the fact that most routes start off with the proverbial 'bang', the importance of pre-Camino training should likely not be underestimated . . .

(As far as keeping weight off, after finishing, that is a whole different subject all together . . .)

Cheers & Buen Camino !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I lost about 7 kilos (15 pounds) on my first Camino (35 days) last year, I was not trying to lose the weight. In fact, I viewed weight loss, per se, as a collateral or side benefit to walking a camino.

I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, though never to excess, as I have a permanently installed bariatric lap band. I think of it like a speed governor on my mouth and stomach when eating. In my case, my eyes ARE literally larger than my stomach, at least the top portion...:eek:

On the other hand, and as others have commented, I did like the tightening up of my body and fat becoming muscle.

I just have to say, fat can't turn into muscle. Thats impossible. You can loose fat and gain muscle, yes, but not turn fat into muscle. That would be a miracle :)

I lost about 7lbs on my part-Camino in 2013 but have mislaid 10lbs of blubber since Christmas this year in preparation for my SJPdP to Santiago foray this April/May. I'm still too lardy!
Annie

Walked the portuguese last year, 8 days, 200 and some km, with 10 and some kg on my back.

Lost almost 6kg.

Don't know how!

As long as it wasn't brain tissue, you're doing good !

;o)

I just have to say, fat can't turn into muscle. Thats impossible. You can loose fat and gain muscle, yes, but not turn fat into muscle. That would be a miracle :)

Okay, I stand corrected. But at the end, I had less fat and more muscle, regardless of the exact biology involved. An overall smaller and tighter me is better than the Michelin Man.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are absolutely right on that, t2 andreo :)
Good for you. Hope you can make the that feeling last. I bet it feels a whole lot better too.

I met an Italian guy on the Portuges a couple of months ago who told me how he lost 17kg on the VLDP!

40 days, about 10 lbs., but unfortunately gained it back. I was glad my two pairs of pants had draw string!
My pants got pinned up with safety pins.....I eventually had to buy a new pair when I reached Leon......Sadly, I put the weight back on after about 3 months back at home, but, now losing it again as I prepare for my next walk in 4 weeks time...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And apart of, mathematical, weight loss there is also the conversion of fat into muscle ;-) You might not lose so many kilos, but you will look slimmer and be fitter ;-) At least that is what happens to me. Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Covert fat into muscle? impossible. Have you even seen one of those liposuction things on tv for instance? The stuff they suck out of a body is pure fat. A nasty looking liquid-ish substance. This stuff cant turn into muscle.
Muscles are already a part of your whole body and they can grow thru excersise and good diët.

Indeed, when fat leaves the body and your muscles grow, you will start to look slimmer, tighter, better and feel much better as well. One more benefit of heaving more muscles, is that muscles will burn more calories during the whole day, just because they are there. They need the extra energy to stay in condition. Even when the body is in a resting state.
So the more muscles you have, the more calories they will "take" from your body to keep in shape. They use up energy for free, without you having to lift a finger for it. More Muscles increases metabolism.

Covert fat into muscle? impossible. Have you even seen one of those liposuction things on tv for instance? The stuff they suck out of a body is pure fat. A nasty looking liquid-ish substance. This stuff cant turn into muscle.
Muscles are already a part of your whole body and they can grow thru excersise and good diët.

Indeed, when fat leaves the body and your muscles grow, you will start to look slimmer, tighter, better and feel much better as well. One more benefit of heaving more muscles, is that muscles will burn more calories during the whole day, just because they are there. They need the extra energy to stay in condition. Even when the body is in a resting state.
So the more muscles you have, the more calories they will "take" from your body to keep in shape. They use up energy for free, without you having to lift a finger for it. More Muscles increases metabolism.
Hi Dutch,

This " The stuff they suck out of a body is pure fat " could possibly be sold in jars like goose fat or gander fat. Simply the best aid to producing fantastic roast potatoes. there may be a niche market somewhere.

Hi Dutch,

This " The stuff they suck out of a body is pure fat " could possibly be sold in jars like goose fat or gander fat. Simply the best aid to producing fantastic roast potatoes. there may be a niche market somewhere.

Ssssshhht!!! You dont want the pilgrim menu people to get crazy ideas, do you?! ;):D

€83,-
I lost about 20 lbs over five weeks and 500 miles.

I second the experience of eating everything in sight for the first week. But, after my body adapted, I ate less than on a standard day back home (although my Camino meals were probably higher in calories).

I met an Italian guy on the Portuges a couple of months ago who told me how he lost 17kg on the VLDP!
It is quite true, I lost 19 kg on the VDLP, and then i walked the whole of the Frances straight after that...my friends thought i looked like i was dying of some illness when i got home because i was so thin :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was already pretty fit going into the camino, and I eat very well at home/don't drink a ton of alcohol.

That being said ... I **gained** about 5 lbs on the camino. And that was walking an average of 30K/day all the way to Finisterre.

Main culprits: BREAD, chocolate, booze, lack of sleep, tortillas, bread, cookies, booze.

If you have weight to lose - expect to lose some of it on the camino.

If you're already at/near your set weight - be careful!!

Lost 10 kilos carrying a 12 kilo pack. Heard a lot of people claim you should lose a kilo of lard for every kilo of weight humped from SJPDP to Santiago. Someone should put up coin operated scales at albergues! No place to weight yourself along the road, but I think I lost all of the weight in first 600 kilometers. I truly think I would have lost more weight if I had not eaten all of those BIG Pilgrim suppers!

Lots of farmacias have a scale for 0.20€

Weighed myself in Leon and hadn't gained or lost anything at that point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whit-never saw a scale in a Farmacia and like a lot of hikers, I caught the Camino cough and had to stop every 3 days or so to buy more cough syrup. After two months home I seem to have finally lost that cough.

Whit-never saw a scale in a Farmacia and like a lot of hikers, I caught the Camino cough and had to stop every 3 days or so to buy more cough syrup. After two months home I seem to have finally lost that cough.

Oh man ... My fellow pilgrims all succumbed to the Pilgrim's Plague: 24-36 hours of gastrointestinal DISCOMFORT. aka, let's hope you're not at an Albergue with one bathroom.

We never quite pinpointed the cause, but every single one of the sickies got it RIGHT after that 17K barren stretch leaving Carrión de los Condos. The food/coffee in Calzadilla de la Cueza perhaps?

I avoided the plague luckily.

For me it was 10 lbs (4,5 kg), in spite of all the menús de perigrinos, more than my share of that delicious Spanish bread, dessert every night, and a bottle of vino tinto shared with my wife at every evening meal.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh weight loss? Let's see...750grams for that sleeping bag. The two books l left behind in an alberguie. The grey pants I forgot on a clothesline. The goretex jacket I mailed ahead. Sure, sure I lost a couple of kilos, or my backpack did.
Me? Not so much a lost as a tightening a firmer me.

<3
Ellie

Hi everyone

Has anyone experienced major weight loss on the camino? After how many days? And do you have any pro tips on avoiding this?

Many report losing some 5k. But other have reported gaining. I personally usually lose 5k or so over a months walking. As I weight 100 kilos I would not call that a major loss (though quite welcome :)). Unfortunately the voracious appetite acquired during the Camino does not disappear overnight on return so that weight reappears forcing the need for another Camino! :):):):):)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Drink the fresh cold beer and Kas lemonade and you will be fine

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just returned from the Le Puy route, the Norte, Finesterre with eight days in the Pyreneese being a mix of GR10 and a walk to Roncesvilles and back and I lost 25 pounds, which is over 11kg. Sadly I know I will put them back on :(

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back