• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weight saving tips

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
I was reading a post by someone that suggested sawing part of the handle from your toothbrush to save weight and it got me thinking..
I realised that the only part of my walking poles that I actually touch is the handles, the rest of the pole is superfluous.. I cut the rest of the poles off and saved roughly 244grams.. not only are they much lighter but they have also stopped making that annoying clicking sound! The only negative I've found is that I tend to fall over more often, I consider this a fair trade.

I have also ordered some long sleeve t-shirts that I am going to cut the sleeves off just above the elbow and likewise some trousers that can be trimmed to just above the knee.. more grams shed!!
Finally, and most effectively, I have ordered a heavy weight jacket that I plan on leaving at home, a saving of over 400grams!
Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was reading a post by someone that suggested sawing part of the handle from your toothbrush to save weight and it got me thinking..
I realised that the only part of my walking poles that I actually touch is the handles, the rest of the pole is superfluous.. I cut the rest of the poles off and saved roughly 244grams.. not only are they much lighter but they have also stopped making that annoying clicking sound! The only negative I've found is that I tend to fall over more often, I consider this a fair trade.

I have also ordered some long sleeve t-shirts that I am going to cut the sleeves off just above the elbow and likewise some trousers that can be trimmed to just above the knee.. more grams shed!!
Finally, and most effectively, I have ordered a heavy weight jacket that I plan on leaving at home, a saving of over 400grams!
Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x
Now that got me thinking. If I take everything out of my rucksack it will weigh a lot less and there will be more room for souvenir tee-shirts to bring home!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I see from your avatar that you enjoy a smoke. Another tip is to count the number of matches in your matchbox. Take out the ones that you won’t use.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Consider "going commando". That should save another 150 grams!
With all that webbing and ammo and an SA-80? Not to mention trying to squeeze your bergen into Ryanair's little tubular box at the boarding gate and getting your F-S knife past security... Far too much hassle :cool:

How about shaving your beard off before starting out...that should take off a pile of weight.
Quit smoking entirely while you are away.
Oh, and leave the sunglasses at home...that will help, too.
Your Avatar alone gives ample opportunity for weight reduction while on the camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Now that got me thinking. If I take everything out of my rucksack it will weigh a lot less and there will be more room for souvenir tee-shirts to bring home!
Jeff, I'm sure your daughters will just "love" a T-shirt displaying a huge yellow arrow...especially if they have never walked it themselves.😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Or walk the Le Puy route for a month. I lost 10kg there, always hungry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x
I leave for the VDLP next Tuesday. Thinking that I could just not take my rucksack - perhaps I could put everything in a plastic carrier bag - but that would then offend my sense of trying to stop the use of said plastic bag.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jeff, I'm sure your daughters will just "love" a T-shirt displaying a huge yellow arrow...especially if they have never walked it themselves.😂
No, they've always preferred the Santiago Witches (I've been there more often than not in October) or Celtic silver jewellery if only for the "Ooh, where did you get that from?" from friends.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carry 1/2kg. of shaving equipment so I can shave face, arms, head & legs every day. Saves a lot of weight in 30+ days, methinks.
Just have a full body wax before leaving, then you can leave all the shaving paraphernalia at home. The true savings in weight will make up for the pain, methinks.

Just have a full body wax before leaving, then you can leave all the shaving paraphernalia at home. The true savings in weight will make up for the pain, methinks.
I take no chances: It'll GROW OUT again. I'll bring my weight-saving gear with me at all times...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for these great weight saving tips @andywild I think I'll be adopting some of them. One thing I have been doing during the long hot dry weeks we're having here in New Zealand is dehydrating water - using the sun's natural rays is an inexpensive and organic way to do this - and I'll simply rehydrate my water as I go along. We all know how heavy water is!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You people are amateurs.
I stream The Way, 6 Ways to Santiago, and Footprints back to back for 35 days.
I only have to carry a couple of beers and a bag of chips to the couch. I would grab a whole 6 pack, but I want the experience to be authentic.
On my way to fridge for more beer, I have to step over the pile of crap my cat drops on the rug every day!
Ahh, credits for The Way are ending, got to go...

Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x
Get a body wax including head and face before you leave and repeat weekly.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back