• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weird ankle problem

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'm hoping one of you foot experts out there might have some ideas for me. I'm out of town and unable to get in to see my doctor, and I am leaving for the camino in a little more than a week, so I'm a bit concerned about this strange thing that's been happening to my foot.

About five nights ago, when I got up in the morning and stepped out of bed, putting weight on my right foot caused my foot to buckle completely. The pain seemed to come from the ankle area, but I can't find any sore place on any part of my foot, I push and squeeze and nothing hurts. Then, unexpectedly, usually after I've been sleeping or sitting for a long time, I take a step and my foot buckles. The pain has subsided somewhat, and it doesn't interfere with my activity generally. I've been riding my bike, working out at the gym, and taking long walks and have had no problem except when the foot buckles. Obviously this is not a good way to start a camino! Any ideas?

Thanks, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie
I think maybe you've been overdoing it a bit,I would rest up for the final week,maybe elivate your foot for 30mins a day
being of a certain age (65) I find my body and mainly my feet and ankles are starting to let me down,also my right knee has started to give way at times,I have considered changing footwear for better support or even wearing an ankle support but find things get better once I'm in warmer climes.
someone posted once that you have to walk like a grandmother/father the first few days it made me laugh as I don't have any options.
you are well experienced and know your own body,but I would go for a weeks rest and support
Buen Camino for next week
Ian

also, it may be the iskias nerve (starting at your lower back and ending in your feet) try googling it. Maybe you are putting preassure on it while you sit/lie down, or in the actual act of getting up. Does anything else hurt (lower back, buttocks, hips, knees, they may or may not)?

Also, does it "just buckle" or does it buckle due to pain or is the pain from buckling ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well that is interesting ... no creak or sharp pains just 'buckles' ? As in, doesn't support your weight and turns inwards? And this happens only after some hours of rest with it horizontal (assuming you sleep lying down :lol: ).

So - you have been going to the gymn and exercising with no problems - though, as you are going soon I would surmise that you have radically increased how much you have been doing?

Has to be muscular not bones or tendons as you would get good sharp pains from them, as well as inflammation from the tendons, though you may have stretched the tendons but there should be tenderness if you have.

How peculiar .. no odema at all? No puffiness? Peregrina - stop! Stop exercising. Give it a couple of days without exercise, other than normal moving about, and then see what happens.
Also, I would start using an anti-inflammatory cream for those couple of days.
As you go to a gymn a chat with their sports physio might help.

Just wondering - have you recently be doing your training in new footwear, such as new boots for the Camino? If so do they have high arch supports? It could be that if they do then your foot/feet? are now having a problem when not supported - just a thought.

Sorry not to come up with an instant remedy but, as with all sports injuries - and this has to be one don't you think? - rest and anti-inflammatories is the way to go, and if there is any swelling then ice and compression.
Don't worry too much about being 'ready' for the Camino by doing loads of exercise and gymn work - you will be ok, just take it easy out there, be kind to yourself - all is well.

Buen Camino!

I assume you are not being forced to sleep in a new position (not being home where you can see your doctor); it almost sounds like you foot is going to sleep. Then you getting up before circulation has returned and seeing the consequences. Before getting out of bed, try some simple stretching exercises: pointing your toes for 10 to 15 seconds, reverse that pose to trying to keep the top of your foot pointed as far back as possible toward your head, tense your legs several times. Then get out of bed and see if this changes anything.

Given your ease at doing exercise this does not sound serious. I really do suspect that something is affecting your blood circulation in that one leg i.e. a position. Let me know how it goes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to all, you've given me a lot to help me identify what is going on. So based on everyone's questions, here's what I can tell you.

The buckling is not produced by pain, it causes the pain. And I notice the pain without buckling sometimes, after sitting for a long time, particularly if I'm climbing stairs. But walking is generally absolutely painless.

I have found a way to make the pain come on, if only a little. I put all the weight on my right foot (the one that hurts) and then, with my foot firmly on the ground, move my knee/leg left to right. And I can feel a little pain in the part of my foot that's in front of the ankle, sort of on the top of the foot in front of where the leg joins the foot.

PIeces, a friend of mine also mentioned sciatica, I am trying to figure out how to tell if I'm putting pressure on it, but it doesn't seem likely.

I will incorporate the stretching before getting out of bed, thanks Michael.

Yes, David, it is strange. You've described the buckling correctly, and it is decreasing in frequency, which I take as a good sign. I have not increased my exercise level, but I do a pretty high level (for me anyway) elliptical hour every day, and as I've said it causes me absolutely no discomfort. I am now in yet another place, spending four days visiting my new grandson, so I am going to be forced to take a rest other than walking, so we'll see how it goes. I've got some Voltaren cream from the last Camino (not yet available OTC in US), and I'll give it a try. And there's no redness, no puffiness, no nothing.

I can rule out footwear as the problem, I have not changed anything. I don't train in boots, my boots are my friends (at least since I found the perfect ones for me), and I find that just wearing them on the plane is all I need. And they have the same orthotic as my shoes, so things are pretty identical.

Well, I think it's sadly likely to be the case, Ian, that as you suggest this is just another bit of evidence of my aging body. I have an ambitious camino plan this year, but a lot of time, so I think I should be able to adjust to the "new normal."

Thanks everyone, buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back