• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weird question

sweetlee213

What do pilgrims sleep in? I know the goal is to keep the weight down, but has anyone brought a pair of lightweight pjs for nighttime or do we just sleep in our clothes?
Much thanks

Laura-Lee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
we're planning to sleep in underwear and the t-shirt we'll be wearing tomorrow. PJs were the first thing we dropped off our list!

I've had the same question. Reading the posts it seems there are 3 major camps. Sleep in your underwear camp, bring light weight sleep pants and/or night shirt camp and the one i'm leaning toward... Sleep in the clothes you will wear the next day camp.
Guess it depends on your modesty/comfort level and how much weight you are willing to take.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yep. Undies and t-shirt. Anything else as the temperature dictates. Buen Camino!

It doesn't matter how lightweight something is, if you don't need it, it's too heavy. Undies and t-shirt that you're going to walk in the next day are fine for sleeping.

If modesty is an issue, jump into your sleeping bag before taking off your long pants/shorts.

I wouldn't say it was a weird question just not one that I ever considered. I sleep in my underwear (and a t-shirt occasionally -if it's cold) so I never thought about bringing anything specifically to sleep in.

If you prefer or would feel more comfortable sleeping in PJs or nightclothes then I'd say bring them along. If you're going to use them, then they are not dead weight. The important thing is that you're comfortable and able to get a good night's rest.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a thumb-sized flashlight for navigating to the bathroom in the darkness, so I like a pocket in my sleepwear, and none of my underwear has a pocket! So I have lightweight nylon shorts for sleeping. I use a polypro t-shirt (GoLite), too, because I don't like to transport nighttime perspiration into the morning walk. My walking clothes tend to acquire increasing aroma as the weeks pass, but I always have something semi-clean for sleeping (as long as I wash it every few days). Both shorts and shirt can double for walking, but I have never had to use them for it, though I came close when I left my second pair of convertible pants on the clothes line!

Depends on the time of year maybe.
I carried a pair of Trekmate longjohns and a long sleeved T. Double use as PJs and extra evening layer if cold. I also had a high tec sleeveless dress that could double as a nightie. Both needed in both uses.
Then there are the short sleeve T & undies options etc already mentioned.
My personal rule was 'try to make as much as possible do more than one job'

Tia Valeria said:
Depends on the time of year maybe.

Indeed, Tia Valeria is so right. Since I always walk in late autumn and/or winter my tenue de soirée or so-called evening dress includes loose socks, fleece pants and short sleeved technical tee shirt covered by a long sleeve technical shirt. Often those albergues which may be open from November to March have NO heat. When it is REALLY cold ( indoors you see your breath ) I layer a thermal top over the technical tee but beneath the long sleeve shirt. Topping all is a knitted cap, worn even to sleep !!

For me the coldest camino night so far was in January 2010 at Trinidad de Arre. The monk who greeted at the door was wearing a quilted ski parka and ski cap with ear flaps resembling a wintery Michelin man. As the only pilgrim I tried to sleep in a tiny cell behind the altar with piles of blankets but NO heat. All was FRIGID.

Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I traveled to Uganda and Kenya, I wore a tank top and boxer shorts because I wanted something light to sleep in and light-weight for my bag (I brought carry-on only). It was a cool enough option, but still modest enough to wear around priests and religious sisters. I tend to layer my clothing even in regular life, so the tank top won't add weight to what I am already bringing, although I may invest in one of a lighter weight, quicker drying material than cotton by the time I do the Camino. When I am backpacking, I wear my 'base layer' (Patagonia) as 'pajamas'. I figure that this would be a good option for both cooler nights as well as cooler days on the Camino since my plan is to bring light-weight, convertible hiking pants (REI).

murrayt said:
I wore a tank top and boxer shorts because I wanted something light to sleep in and light-weight for my bag (I brought carry-on only). It was a cool enough option, but still modest enough to wear around priests and religious sisters.
I don't think Spanish Fathers and Sisters would be too shocked by boxer shorts and tank tops, as long as nothing was hanging out. They've probably seen it all over the years sorting us lot out. Just consider your fellow pilgrims, though. :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Normally I like to sleep in as little as possible and since I will have a sleeping bag I think a tee-shirt and underwear will do just fine. I imagine people are used to seeing others in their skivvies sharing a space so small.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sweetlee213 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Normally I like to sleep in as little as possible and since I will have a sleeping bag I think a tee-shirt and underwear will do just fine. I imagine people are used to seeing others in their skivvies sharing a space so small.
Absolutely used to it, and more concerned about neighbours snoring than what they look like!! :)
Buen camino - y ¡Dulces sueños!
Stephen

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.