• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weird & wacky vending machine finds

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Time of past OR future Camino
2024?
I'm currently reading @Tim Greig 's informative & entertaining VF blog. He includes photos of what can only be described as giant vending machines dispensing such things as baguettes, hot pizza, bags of potatoes (not chips!) & cartons of eggs. Thinking of my own coin-operated encounters, it would be fun to read the vending machine wonders we've found roadside/trailside.
I'll start the ball rolling...

Japan...ruler of vending machine lands;
  • hot & cold drinks from the one machine
  • cream puffs/profiteroles in a can
  • 40 different drinks but BYO cup! Just squirts liquid...a token effort to reduce waste I suspect
  • an old but still working machine in the middle of nowhere containing mysterious unmarked packages where size clearly mattered (no...not THAT...) A local seeing my puzzlement proceeded to take off his gumboot to demonstrate the machine contents...innersoles!
What have you discovered?
👣🌏

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kazrobbo's delight discovering Japanese machine logic is similar to mine half a lifetime ago hiking alone on Hokkaido. Knowing no Japanese I could only order and eat what I saw. Sweets were almost impossible to find but containers of chocolate milk were often sold from small self-service kiosks which resembled post boxes. Thus I happily 'had a few too many' chocolate milks every day!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not too long ago I saw a machine in an airport selling underpants and undershirts and socks. Maybe that was Boston?
In my youth, in Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA, there were vending machines for half - gallons of milk on the porch of the insurance company. There were no late night shops in that town and goodness knows that if you run out of milk you can't have coffee and that would ruin your morning for sure!

Not too long ago I saw a machine in an airport selling underpants and undershirts and socks. Maybe that was Boston?
In my youth, in Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA, there were vending machines for half - gallons of milk on the porch of the insurance company. There were no late night shops in that town and goodness knows that if you run out of milk you can't have coffee and that would ruin your morning for sure!
Enterprising people! We've all run out of milk...& realised at the airport we've forgotten to pack 'essentials'. 😄

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Still not very practical...produces waste... Waste has to go somewhere. Did they also provide a trash bin nearby?

Still not very practical...produces waste... Waste has to go somewhere. Did they also provide a trash bin nearby?

Yeah, there is a trash bin there (at Irache), the machine sells snacks too.

My vending machine suprise was at Barbadelo. I arrived in the pouring rain, when I put my money in the machine it electrocuted me. Blew me off my feet. The albergue owner didn't believe me! Ive been wary of vending machines in the open when it is raining ever since!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bet you had a bad hair day after that! Yikes! That is indeed scary.

Glad to know the winery owners are being somewhat socially responsible by placing a trash bin nearby. I say that, only because not all pilgrims can hold their wine, even small amounts...

On previous trips past Irache, I have seen some college aged folks go berserk when confronted with FREE wine. I just smile and walk on... Life is too short to drink substandard wine, even if it is free.

Thank you for the information.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm currently reading @Tim Greig 's informative & entertaining VF blog. He includes photos of what can only be described as giant vending machines dispensing such things as baguettes, hot pizza, bags of potatoes (not chips!) & cartons of eggs. Thinking of my own coin-operated encounters, it would be fun to read the vending machine wonders we've found roadside/trailside.

• 40 different drinks but BYO cup! Just squirts liquid...a token effort to reduce waste I suspect
  • an old but still working machine in the middle of nowhere containing mysterious unmarked packages where size clearly mattered (no...not THAT...) A local seeing my puzzlement proceeded to take off his gumboot to demonstrate the machine contents...innersoles!
👣🌏
Leaving Pamplona for Cizur Menor late last September I passed a vending machine sitting in full sun, selling charcuterie products: jamon, queso etc. Momentarily odd, but in an “oh, okay...” kind of way.

Library books in a vending machine in a shopping mall. Library card serves as the 'coinage'.

I liked the pop vending machine in the woods between Samos and the northern path. It was connected by a very long extention cord to a house.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All over Italy we saw vending machines with condoms in them attached to various pharmacies. I could not imagine the integrity of the product after baking in the sun...dunno.

My vending machine suprise was at Barbadelo. I arrived in the pouring rain, when I put my money in the machine it electrocuted me. Blew me off my feet. The albergue owner didn't believe me! Ive been wary of vending machines in the open when it is raining ever since!
Yikes! 😯 ⚡💥

Last edited:
Leaving Pamplona for Cizur Menor late last September I passed a vending machine sitting in full sun, selling charcuterie products: jamon, queso etc. Momentarily odd, but in an “oh, okay...” kind of way.
A potential gastro gamble most walkers probably wouldn't take when paired with the lack of public conveniences on the CF! 😩

👣🌏
This is one of my favorites as far as weird vending....grilled cheese in Arzúa.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Carboneras nuns in Madrid sell sweets through a very old-fashioned vending machine...

You can find the same thing at the Monastery of Santa Clara outside Castrojeriz. Nothing nicer than spending the night in the basic albergue at San Anton, then walking across the fields in the early morning via the short cut to the monastery, attending the service (with divine singing by the nuns), then buying some goodies through the revolving wooden door vending machine....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

👣🌏
@kazrobbo @Tim Greig I think I took a photo of every vending machine between Canterbury and Rome - doesn't everybody????;) Truly weird and wonderful. All of the things mentioned already I think I saw, including live fishing bait, but that was south of Rome. And easy to see why people might need milk, eggs, bread, vegetables, cheese, and various paramedical items(!). But my favourite I think was this in Lausanne, within the city centre. You just never know when you will get the urge to eat beef tartare.....

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a vending machine in Flanders, Belgium that sells loaves of bread. The title of the machine is "Pain Night & Day", a bizarre mix of French and English in an otherwise insistently Dutch/Flemish speaking area.

This last trip to the US, we went to a bunch of outlet malls. We saw vending machines selling Tylenol, Ibuprofen, diapers, wipes, Immodium AD, etc...anything to keep the intrepid shopper going! Maybe these kinds of vending machines have been around for a while, but we hadn't been back in a couple years so I was so surprised to see these (but not really).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vending machine complex entering Pontevedra, selling all sort of items including condoms, personal lubricants, and both pleasure devices for couples and those going it alone...
Pictures NOT attached.

@kazrobbo @Tim Greig I think I took a photo of every vending machine between Canterbury and Rome - doesn't everybody????;) Truly weird and wonderful. All of the things mentioned already I think I saw, including live fishing bait, but that was south of Rome. And easy to see why people might need milk, eggs, bread, vegetables, cheese, and various paramedical items(!). But my favourite I think was this in Lausanne, within the city centre. You just never know when you will get the urge to eat beef tartare.....
View attachment 52771
Raw meat from a vending machine 😯 ...anywhere else but Switzerland & you wouldn't even dare to try it... Did you by the way? 😋

€149,-
That vending machine in Santo Domingo was right by the front door of one of the few private hotels we stayed at during our Camino - made my wife wonder what kind of cheap place I had found, but it actually was a nice place. I think the vending machine was frequented by patrons from the questionable bar across the street rather than exhausted pilgrims, but who knows. It definitely had everything you’d need for a night of “partying” or to start your own security firm (handcuffs, blindfolds, etc...). Definitely worth a few photos....

As for the vending machine product superiority, though, nowhere beats Japan! Blue jeans, 5 liter beer cans, hot soup, “used” schoolgirl underwear(!), and on and on...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

👣🌏
We discovered condoms, lubricant and various toys. Two rows down, well your standard chips and pop.

As you leave the the train station in Oviedo, right outside the cafe, there’s a vending machine with tampons, an assortment of condoms, gum, lubricant...we laughed so hard I forgot to take a picture. The Primitivo route was on the sidewalk right outside. The whole thing was just funny.

A potential gastro gamble most walkers probably wouldn't take when paired with the lack of public conveniences on the CF! 😩
I assumed it was refrigerated...but wasn’t game to chance it!

€60,-
In Dubai I saw a "vending" machine that sold/dispensed gold bars in various weights. It needed a debit card to make it work and not cash! Decided on Coca Cola instead!

With regard to Babylon 2505's post regarding a condom machine.
I saw one in England where someone had written the following message:-
Worst bloody chewing gum I've ever tasted.
Whereas our office machine acquired a sign saying "Win a coffee, 50p a try" since it dispensed tea, coffee, chocolate or a strange mixture at random no matter which button you pushed.

I think the strangest place for vending machines is Japan, you can buy almost anything from a machine there. Although the energy drink called Pocari Sweat always has tourists laughing.

you poor thing,luckily that you were OK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

👣🌏
I bought what appeared to be candy in a clear wrapper in a municipal on the CF. Turned out it was laundry detergent!
J

Whereas our office machine acquired a sign saying "Win a coffee, 50p a try" since it dispensed tea, coffee, chocolate or a strange mixture at random no matter which button you pushed.

I think the strangest place for vending machines is Japan, you can buy almost anything from a machine there. Although the energy drink called Pocari Sweat always has tourists laughing.
Once you get past the name (I don't think the marketing team included a native English speaker...!) Pocari Sweat goes down very well after a hot day on the trail. I also, with trepidation, drank 'DeepSea Water'.
The all time winning drink name for me came from a vending machine in Singapore;
'Kickapoo Joy Juice' 😋
👣🌏

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought what appeared to be candy in a clear wrapper in a municipal on the CF. Turned out it was laundry detergent!
J
I don't want to know if you found this out the hard way... We're all unlikely to want to become accidental 'Tidepodders' ! Poor you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Once you get past the name (I don't think the marketing team included a native English speaker...!) Pocari Sweat goes down very well after a hot day on the trail. I also, with trepidation, drank 'DeepSea Water'.
The all time winning drink name for me came from a vending machine in Singapore;
'Kickapoo Joy Juice' !! 😋
👣 🌏
Kickapoo Joy Juice was a favorite adult beverage featured in an old US cartoon, set in the mountains of Kentucky or West Virginia.

Well, I would never have guessed it originated in the US. Assume it's probably commonly available?
I never seen it or heard of it as a soft drink. I only knew the name from the comic strip Li'l Abner (which had a big cultural influence in the U.S.) The strip ended in the seventies so many here have probably never seen it.

I think it wa

👣🌏
I think it was in Burgos that we saw a hamburger vending machine - we didn't try it!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back