• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weird weather in Europe

Andrewere

I got home to the UK from the Via de la Plata a month ago to be greeted by the wettest April on record after one of the driest Winters on record.

Whilst in Spain the temperatures varied from (max) 12 C to 28 C but now I can't quite believe what I'm seeing. The temps in Sevilla are around the 35 C mark and forecast to be 37 C on Monday which is not far short of 100 Fahrenheit! That will require quite a weight of water to be carried on those long early stages out of Sevilla!

Andrew.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
God help anyone on the VdlP at the moment. The temperatures just changed overninght, Tuesday everyone was in overcoats, Wednesday it was T-shirts and fans. Anyone walking early so as not to walk in the heat is in for a shock. The problem is a weather front that has come out of Africa, even Galicia had temeraures well in the 20's yesterday. Today we have been saved by the front that has been bothering the UK, it is just lovely warm weather today, but we are alone, the rest of Spain, as you say, has temps in the 30's and Andalucia in the high 30's. There are no half measures, it's miserably wet and cold or hot.
Good luck to those walking.
Sue

I am so very happy, started my camino 2 days ago i was dreading mud, wet gear, poor washing drying conditions, with time management the heat is manageable, and i only need to carrry a silk liner. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am so very happy, started my camino 2 days ago i was dreading mud, wet gear, poor washing drying conditions, with time management the heat is manageable, and i only need to carrry a silk liner.

There are pros and cons aren't there! So glad it's working for you.
Buen camino
Sue

ffp13 said:
I am so very happy, started my camino 2 days ago i was dreading mud, wet gear, poor washing drying conditions, with time management the heat is manageable, and i only need to carrry a silk liner. :)
I cannot see this advantage. One should be prepared for the climate, and only on the day worry about the weather.

Regards,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just got back from 6 weeks on the Camino....the first 5 were cold, wet and windy. Bought a new jacket in Estrella, gloves in Santo Domingo and new rain gear in Sarria.

I finally saw substantial sun in Galicia.....Finesterre was beautiful.

Jeff Stys said:
I just got back from 6 weeks on the Camino....the first 5 were cold, wet and windy. Bought a new jacket in Estrella, gloves in Santo Domingo and new rain gear in Sarria.

I finally saw substantial sun in Galicia.....Finesterre was beautiful.
Yes, it's been a bit odd. I really missed gloves in March/April. I'm generally a warm blooded being, and never even wear them in the UK. However, when I looked at my hands I thought I'd died! Even the trick they teach the boys in Rugby lessons at school didn't work and just made things worse. :shock: The week before that I got sunburn! What to do apart from be prepared. Scouts motto!

Buen Camino!

Mud mud and more mud at Azofra today :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Three days ago in Asson I was dying of thirst and pulling off clothes. Today I'm in Camfranc station with long johns, hat, gloves and a blanket! The weather is supposed to turn again tomorrow to heat. I say come prepared for anything!

Still rain and cold, but cares i am in a small refugio with armchairs and fire, an a home cooked meal tonight, still only two pilgrims here and it is after 3 pm

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tblma3

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hahaha. Maybe laughing will warm me up. Is this normal to keep a place like a big refrigerator? They were supposed to open the bar at 4. It is now 4:30 and there is no heat and we are stll freezing. I cannot recommend this place in cold weather unless you have your ski clothes on all the time. So much for not walking so as not to get chilled. In freaking frozen! Mea culpa for all the times I may have told cold pilgrims to be thankful. I'd be thankful I'd it we're donation but at 40 euros I expected a little warmth. ::::whining:::::

And yup. Still going to Amsterdam end of June. Will it be warm then? Lol

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sending you some warmth from sunny Holland!

June can be a mixed bag (as well as July, August, September...). One just never knows here. Why do you think I do my Caminos in July :D ? Last year when I left for Sevilla on July 7 it was sunny and 32 C but it can also be 15 and rainy :( ...

I leave for Madrid June 30th and on to Grañón for a hospitalera stint July 1-15 returning on July 17th so don't know if you will still be around. Let me know.

We arrive Amsterdam June 21 and leave for Wales July 6. Wanna walk the Cistercian way or offas dyke or Hadrian's Wall? I'll have until September 8 to be back in Spain.

Pity you Annie with this lousy weather and we are thanking our lucky stars that we aren't there too - we had originally planned to be in Jaca either today or tomorrow! We are now hoping to be there In late Sept. I watched the weather forecast on the Spanish television (tve) a couple of hours ago and the weather looks very miserable all over the north part of Spain up to the Meseta. Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back