• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Welcome to sort out my stuff :)

SeaHorse

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 (SJPDP-Finisterre), planning Norte
You know on Youtube there are people who make money with clips "whats in my handbag". Apparently this is a popular entertainment. So why not do this here too. Totally free for all. I admit, it does take some courage. The alternative would be to suffer my mistakes in silence.
And I promise to review what stuff worked as desired and what was totally wrong.

May-June SJPdP to Finisterre. Total FSO 9,5kg (10% of my actual body weight, but it should be 8,5 from ideal body weight). Wearing 3,8kg (including camera and smartphone in fanny pack, if calculated as in pack, it would shift 1,2kg). Pack 5,6kg (without water and snacks). Calculated for weather conditions of less wearing, more in backpack and full supply of expendables. Expendables calculated to last halfway through, shall send a package for myself to, well, possibly Leon. That way I don’t have to look for shops and more shops in case they don’t have exactly what I need. There’s more trouble with the wrong (allergic) stuff than to send the right along.

Bags, sleeping bag outside, and clothing that doesn’t contact skin - treat with permetrin before leaving home.

ID, cards
Money

Clothes. Both wearing and carry. Everything lightweight, quick dry/waterproof, NO cotton
Hiking boots (Merrell GTX, heaviest single item, rather pair, but I need ankle support)
Socks x3
Panties x2
Bra x2
T-shirt x2
T-dress (for sleeping, evenings in albergues, cities)
Leggings
Long pants (with drawstring belt for possible weight loss)
Silk short shorts (not too shocking and very lightweight)
Fleece jacket
Wind/rain jacket
Rain poncho (“normal” style, but maybe have to switch to Alitus)
Gloves (ditch after mountains and more into summer)
Shoes (for albergues, cities, as lightweight as could find at 195g pair but all covered, no flipflops)
Silk shawl (doubles as towel, sunscreen, long sleeves, curtain, etc)
Buff (maybe the shawl only?)
Sunglasses (optical) + case (leave at home plain optical glasses, still be able to see the yellow arrows, that’s all I need)
(Plan to get: some baseball hat or visor)

Equipment:
Backpack (Osprey Kestrel 38l)
Fanny pack
Card/money bag secret
Cloth shopping baggy
Plastic bags (not for rustling but to waterproof my stuff)
Roll of dog poo bags, with pink heart print, useful for many things
Ikea bag clip
Sleeping bag (no liners for me, I’m always cold at nights, doesn’t depend on t*)
Sit upon /bubble wrap
Walking poles (yes.)
Water bottles x3
Swiss knife
Plastic spoon, tiny
Clip for boots (when left at night)
Towel
Electric plug divider for charge share
Pen
Whistle
Brush (to wash boots)
Paracord piece (as clothes line, spare shoelaces, belt, whatever)
Lighter
Safety pins/nappy pins
Lamp (Note to myself: change the batteries before leaving)
Superglue
Tape
Needle and thread

Gadgets: (heavy at 1,2kg but they are coming along)
Smartphone/tablet (+charger) for wifi, Guidebooks=APPS
Photo (+charger) (my alter ego. A compromise camera between quality I want and weight I’m willing to carry, but I love it, especially because I do actually have it when I want to take a photo)

Hygiene:
Dental floss (can also be used for equipment repairs)
Face cream
Sunscreen
Lavanda
Washing powder
Toothbrush (folding)
Toothpaste
Soap
Nail clip
Nail file
Nail lacquer (as protection against fungus)
Shampoo
Condicioner (want to have my hair also after el Camino)
Comb+mirror
Tonic
Cotton wipes
Lipstick (doubles as source of Vaseline)
Tissues/TP
Scisors (tiny)
Razor

Medicine:
Hand sanit.
"Gold Star" balm (from running nose to strained muscles)
Ibumetin cream (not the same as balm)
H2O2
Likopodium
Band aid
Paracetamol
Activated carbon
Tavegil

Vanity: total 40g
Fan (or maybe not, but this bamboo one is 20g only, and in hot weather it’s not exactly a vanity item)
Perfume
Jewelry
Eye shadow (yes.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks like a well thought out list. I have the Kestrel 38 and it has served me well even has its own rain-cover.
  • maybe not whistle, glue and roll of bags (aren't they heavy?)
  • and lots of "what ifs" especially in medication that you can easily buy along the way
  • shampoo conditioner is heavy and I saw a lot of people discarding it.
Buen Camino

Looks like a well thought out list. I have the Kestrel 38 and it has served me well even has its own rain-cover.
  • maybe not whistle, glue and roll of bags (aren't they heavy?)
  • and lots of "what ifs" especially in medication that you can easily buy along the way
  • shampoo conditioner is heavy and I saw a lot of people discarding it.
Buen Camino
THANKS!!! :)
No, whistle is very lightweight, from special mountain gear shop, could be very loud too. Excellent for communication with my friend who also will be walking or just wolf whistles ;) (if I dare)
Roll of bags - every dog owner will know those, about the size of thumb, 20 bags in a roll, something you put in pocket and forget till you need it.
Glue 3g tube.
Medication I took only to last till "easy buy": 2-6 pills of every denomination. Yes, a "what if" I'm concerned about is: what if I need it on evening before holiday, when pharmacias will be closed? Or are they all open 24/7 in Spain? Never actually noticed. Anyway its no fun to look for pharmacia if you have fever of diarrhea, sorry. I rather replace used items later. And blister care most probably is not a "what if" but a certainty. Even with well broken comfortable boots. Balm is 6g (and smells fantastic), ibumetin cream 10g. Tavegil is anti-allergy, that's something you need in a second! Also just 2 pills and hope to bring them to Santiago intact. Hand sanitzer is bigger at 27g, the smallest/lightest I could find.
Shampoo+conditioner may be heavier but I don't take industrial sizes, just a little for halfway through. Some things are just samples. And if not enough, it also classifies as "easy buy", right? The only big bottle is sunscreen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My suggestions are in Bold, for what they are worth. Best suggestion I got: weight every item in grams and write it down (which I think you may have done). Just that exercise will help you make the best decisions for you. My suggestions are based on a summer Camino (July 3, Aug. 11, 2014, on the Frances).

Hiking boots (Merrell GTX, )If they prove too hot, be prepared to ditch for more ventilated models. My waterproof boots did (sadly left behind in Santo Domingo).

T-dress (for sleeping, evenings in albergues, cities)Just wear the other set of clothes for night time, sleeping.
Leggings I assume goes with T-dress--I'd leave both

Fleece jacket
Wind/rain jacket I'd just take the fleece and poncho and leave this.
Rain poncho (“normal” style, but maybe have to switch to Alitus)

Shoes (for albergues, cities, as lightweight as could find at 195g pair but all covered, no flipflops)You may want to rethink this. Two pairs of footwear you can actually walk in is not overkill. It is what I eventually ended up with (after shoe shopping my way to Santiago).

Equipment:

Plastic bags (not for rustling but to waterproof my stuff)Not the slider type ziplocs--they break after a few days. Use the ones with the zipper built in.
Roll of dog poo bags, with pink heart print, useful for many things I'd leave. This sounds like a "just in case." Everything with that label got left behind. Lots of plastic bags in Spain.
Ikea bag clip For what?

Sit upon /bubble wrap Probably unnecessary. Lots of places to sit.

Water bottles x3. How big? I used only one .75L for whole trip (and my wife ended up just drinking in town and leaving her bottle empty to wave weight). Buy an extra bottle of water for the dry stretches.

Clip for boots (when left at night).Tie shoe laces together. No need for this

Brush (to wash boots).They will just get dirty again the next day. Leave it.
Paracord piece (as clothes line, spare shoelaces, belt, whatever) Not too much.
Lighter I took one. Completely useless
Safety pins/nappy pins Take double what you think you need, unless you are infallible and never lose anything.

Needle and thread Cotton thread for sewing blisters

Smartphone/tablet (+charger) for wifi, Guidebooks=APPS.. I did something similar with my Kindle. Actually ligher than Brierley book.
Photo (+charger) (my alter ego. A compromise camera between quality I want and weight I’m willing to carry, but I love it, especially because I do actually have it when I want to take a photo) Good for you. I did too.

Hygiene:

Comb+mirrorMirror unnecessary. Plenty in the alburgues,

Medicine:
Hand sanit.
"Gold Star" balm (from running nose to strained muscles)
Ibumetin cream (not the same as balm)
H2O2
Likopodium
Band aid
Paracetamol
Activated carbon
Tavegil

Fan (or maybe not, but this bamboo one is 20g only, and in hot weather it’s not exactly a vanity item). I'd skip.
Perfume Liquids are very heavy for value.
Jewelry Nothing to attract a thief's eye (it will become a burden watching it).
Eye shadow (yes.) You go girl.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good Lord, you had to have forgotten something! I don't see triple antibiotic ointment anywhere :) I'd say a day or two into it you will begin shedding.

only one pair of pants?

Last edited:
Following Jo Jo advice I leave behind some of the bags, mirror, fan.....

T-dress Just wear the other set of clothes for night time, sleeping. Maybe. Thinking.
Leggings I assume goes with T-dress--I'd leave both More for warmth, I start beginning of May, here were reported close to zero temperatures early mornings. Can wear under long pants. Also can wear at night if cold. And I WILL be cold. Yes, they are bright color, why not, but the main reason is practical. Equivalent of long-johns.
Two pairs of footwear you can actually walk in is not overkill. I tried. Can actually walk only in Merrells. Taking 2 of them would be overkill. I don't know if I would undertake this if they didn't make those boots.
Ikea bag clip For what? To waterproof the plastic bag with gadgets and documents in shover.
Sit upon /bubble wrap Probably unnecessary. Lots of places to sit. Most probably I keep standing if there is no soft clean place for my bum out in the open fields or church stairs or wherever people use to sit these days.
Water bottles x3. How big? Small, exchangeable plastic from food store. Ditch anytime. Actual volume depends on t* and length of stretch.
Brush (to wash boots). They will just get dirty again the next day. I know... :( Just hate shit in the groves.
Paracord piece Not too much. Yep. Just a piece, not whole roll.
Lighter I took one. Completely useless I use them quite a lot, and not to light candles in a restaurant. :D
Safety pins/nappy pins - 20pcs
Cotton thread for sewing blisters I have a well working method for blisters, not a nice one, but effective: cut all the old skin off, dry the spot, clean thoroughly with H2O2 (till really clean, may take a while), pour licopodium, leave overnight open, dress in the morning with band aid. May consider ibumetin cream if not looking too nice. But usually the spot is perfect the next day.
Perfume Liquids are very heavy for value. =sample (I plan extra days in the cities)
Jewelry Nothing to attract a thief's eye (it will become a burden watching it). :D Hahaha, ok, trinkets. I don't even have anything thats worth stretching out a hand. If I was a thief, I'd go for the phone, at least a tenner in pawn shop. Although I'm more worried about my boots. Realistically nobody will want them, but they are more important to me.

And how do you, people think, should I take the buff, if I have the shawl?

Good Lord, you had to have forgotten something! I don't see triple antibiotic ointment anywhere :) I'd say a day or two into it you will begin to shedding.

only one pair of pants?
Haha, I only took medicine that I do know how to use. No antibiotics. If the matters get that bad, its the doctors' problem, not mine any more.
Only one pair of pants, but as you see also shorts and a dress. And the shawl also can be used to cover the lover part of my body. :rolleyes: I'm safe here.

Yesterday changed the lamp from 37g to 9g.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I take a sarong to use as shawl in Summer, but take a buff when it's going to be colder.... So never took one of my Summer caminos and not taking one this year either.... What do other people think?
I was once very cold after Rabanal, (it was 4 deg.) in August 2012 but it only lasted a few hours ... I could have done with a buff then, or a hoodie!

Haha, I only took medicine that I do know how to use. No antibiotics. If the matters get that bad, its the doctors' problem, not mine any more.
Only one pair of pants, but as you see also shorts and a dress. And the shawl also can be used to cover the lover part of my body. :rolleyes: I'm safe here.

Yesterday changed the lamp from 37g to 9g.

That would be Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, it is a first aid jell. It is used for cuts and such, over the counter.

I always take a dark pair and a light pair of convertible trousers. Light pair for sunny and dry day and dark pair for muddy days. Two buffs work good for wind and head cover. ....... " lover parts"
:) :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was once very cold after Rabanal, (it was 4 deg.) in August 2012 but it only lasted a few hours ... I could have done with a buff then, or a hoodie!
Rechecked - my fleece has a hood. So buff may stay at home.

That would be Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, it is a first aid jell. It is used for cuts and such, over the counter.

I always take a dark pair and a light pair of convertible trousers. Light pair for sunny and dry day and dark pair for muddy days. Two buffs work good for wind and head cover. ....... " lover parts"
:) :)
Thats what ibumetin creme will be for. More or less the same.
Dark pair - packed. Light pair = shorts+lots of sunscreen. I don't even have a light pair, just a dozen or so different shorts.
Yes, I realize I'm butchering English language, but it will survive, it sure has seen worse.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Small tubes of triple antibiotic cream and hydrocortisone cream are must have items in my kit. Think about some sandals like Ecco. Good after long day on the Camino and very usable on long flat stretches of the Camino. Light and take up little room. Don't forget a big needle for those dental floss repairs. For para cord, I use a para cord bracelet for a zipper pull on my pack. Instead of a fanny pack how about a messenger bag. You can put all your possibles (things you possibly could use daily)in it then put on after your pack.

Happy Trails

PS your english is very good. I'm well traveled and still can't speak a second language :rolleyes:

Small tubes of triple antibiotic cream and hydrocortisone cream are must have items in my kit. Think about some sandals like Ecco. Good after long day on the Camino and very usable on long flat stretches of the Camino. Light and take up little room. Don't forget a big needle for those dental floss repairs. For para cord, I use a para cord bracelet for a zipper pull on my pack. Instead of a fanny pack how about a messenger bag. You can put all your possibles (things you possibly could use daily)in it then put on after your pack.

Happy Trails

PS your english is very good. I'm well traveled and still can't speak a second language :rolleyes:
THANKS!!! :) For the pack review and for compliments to my English! :D
Actually Ibumetin cream and balm are for the same use as triple antibiotic cream and hydrocortisone cream. I try to avoid antibiotics or hormones (thats what hydrocortisone basically is, just my English doesn't pull off the scientific nuances) if there is a different option. For bruises, cuts, blisters my method goes like this: cut off any fringes of skin, they don't grow back anyway but prevent the air from getting in the wound, clean the hole with H2O2 till its really clean, not just once over, pour licopodium, leave open to heal (fresh air does wonders). Usually this is enough, the next day the spot is as good as new. If it still isn't - ibumetin creme comes in, maybe backed up with paracetamol pills. Then its foolproof.
Right, needle is big. Well, reasonably. My Granny had tall ship sail repair needles, wow, those were BIG! Mine is enough to get thread or dental floss in and not to break when using.
Sandals have little holes in them for little pebbles to go in and to hit your toes on every bump on the road. Ouch! I'm afraid I'll get stones even in my boots. The way I walk. Thats the reason why I get closed shoes for change. I could rather walk barefoot some nicer stretches, if there will be such, somehow then I don't hit my toes.
Yes, I looked at paracord bracelets, actually they are beautiful and I think I could make dog collars out of glow-in-the-dark paracord. But it may be too much hassle to pleat clothesline every morning or often. Just roll it up and go, this is where I remember forum advice "nobody cares how it looks". My actual piece is not glow-in-the-dark, just ordinary green.
I was tempted about a messenger bag, yes. However I chose a really big no joke fanny pack (hey, you can imagine how it looks under a rain poncho :p ), one that my big camera fits in and easier to get it out immediately if there is something worth to take a picture. I think I shall put it over my shoulder like a messenger bag when I go to explore cities and leave backpack in albergue. Theres plenty of space for camera, tablet phone, possibles, chocolate, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sandals have little holes in them for little pebbles to go in and to hit your toes on every bump on the road. Ouch! I'm afraid I'll get stones even in my boots. The way I walk. Thats the reason why I get closed shoes for change. I could rather walk barefoot some nicer stretches, if there will be such, somehow then I don't hit my toes.
I bought a cheap pair of running shoes for my second shoes. I never wore them on the trail, just at nights around town and the albergue. I cannot stand sandals. I think these will serve you well.

Yes, I looked at paracord bracelets, actually they are beautiful and I think I could make dog collars out of glow-in-the-dark paracord. But it may be too much hassle to pleat clothesline every morning or often. Just roll it up and go, this is where I remember forum advice "nobody cares how it looks". My actual piece is not glow-in-the-dark, just ordinary green.

I braided three strands of paracord together for my clothesline. It worked well.

I was tempted about a messenger bag, yes. However I chose a really big no joke fanny pack (hey, you can imagine how it looks under a rain poncho :p ), one that my big camera fits in and easier to get it out immediately if there is something worth to take a picture. I think I shall put it over my shoulder like a messenger bag when I go to explore cities and leave backpack in albergue. Theres plenty of space for camera, tablet phone, possibles, chocolate, etc.

I had something similar and it worked out great. It was a "lumbar bag" with a shoulder strap.

I think you're headed in the right direction with your gear. Buen Camino!

I bought a cheap pair of running shoes for my second shoes. I never wore them on the trail, just at nights around town and the albergue. I cannot stand sandals. I think these will serve you well.

I braided three strands of paracord together for my clothesline. It worked well.

I had something similar and it worked out great. It was a "lumbar bag" with a shoulder strap.
I think you're headed in the right direction with your gear. Buen Camino!
Had to Google what a lumbar bag is, yes, mine is also something similar.

:) Welcome to the club of sandal haters! My second shoes are just slip-ons.

Three strands of paracord - do you mean inner strands or a paracord braid? I think I take paracord as it is so it can be used for shoelaces if necessary. I'll change them for new ones before leaving home but you never know.

Silk shawl (doubles as towel, sunscreen, long sleeves, curtain, etc) - this is BRILLIANT! I will try to see how well my silk scarf works as a towel!

Equipment:
Fanny pack - just get pants with good cargo pockets.
Roll of dog poo bags, with pink heart print, useful for many things - n0.
Ikea bag clip - what is this?
Sit upon /bubble wrap - no.
Water bottles x3 - why 3 and what size?
Swiss knife - won't need it
Plastic spoon, tiny - why?
Clip for boots (when left at night) - Don't understand.
Towel - you have your silk scarf, don't you?
Whistle - no
Brush (to wash boots) - no
Paracord piece (as clothes line, spare shoelaces, belt, whatever) - no
Lighter - no, bring matches to heat your needle when working on blisters.
Nappy pins - where do you finds yours? Have been looking for some but these days it's velcro.
Lamp - head lamp? If so, yes.
Superglue - no
Tape - what kind, for what? For feet? Then yes, for gear, no.
Needle and thread - and matches

Hygiene:
Face cream - In warm weather I don't need it. Why not just use sunscreen?
Nail file - no, you have the clip
Nail lacquer (as protection against fungus) - do you often get fungi? Otherwise no, just buy it along the way if you need it.
Comb+mirror - mirror? No.
Tonic - no.
Cotton wipes - no.
Lipstick (doubles as source of Vaseline) - No it doesn't. If you bring vaseline for your feet, leave the lipstick at home. It will melt in the heat anyways.
Scisors (tiny) - no, you have your nail clippers and can always borrow
Razor - if you were lipstick, you don't need a razor ;0)

Medicine:
Hand sanit. - no
"Gold Star" balm (from running nose to strained muscles) - no
Ibumetin cream (not the same as balm) - If the same as voltaren gel or emugel: no. It doesn't work short term, is usually not strong enough to work at all (1 or 2%) and can be bought en route if need be.
H2O2 -no, a couple of mini pads of alcohol will do.
Likopodium - what does this do?
Band aid - no, get better bandages. And what about vaseline for your feet, or Vick's Vapour Rub?
Paracetamol - no. And if you must, just bring 5 pills or so.
Activated carbon - why?
Tavegil - if you regularly have allergies yes, if not, no

Vanity: total 40g - it's not vanity, it's 10% of a pound of stuff you don't need. And I can't see how jewlery, a fan and eye shadow are only 40 gr. Back to the scale to check this.
Fan (or maybe not, but this bamboo one is 20g only, and in hot weather it’s not exactly a vanity item) NO.
Perfume - just bring a sample size bottle, 1ml max.
Jewelry NO!
Eye shadow (yes.) NO!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
THANKS!!! Sure will revise once more! Still a few weeks time. :)

I will try to see how well my silk scarf works as a towel! Try several at home first, shawls may be different too. Mine is ok for hair. Small microfibre towel for body. Maybe I could cut it even smaller.
Fanny pack - just get pants with good cargo pockets. Afraid the camera will pull them off me. Its 624g without the charger. And its coming along and not sitting in the backpack, I want it at hand. And once I have the little bag, then it will be used for documents, money, other things that I want easy accessible, not to have to take off the backpack for everything. Also take along to city walks. Basically boots, camera, tablet phone are the heaviest items I have but also the most important.
Ikea bag clip - what is this? One of these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40231287/ To waterproof a plastic bag with documents etc while in shower. Ziplocks break.
Swiss knife - won't need it. Can't believe. Peeling oranges, cutting cucumbers, salchicones, cheese, other store brought food. I do use a knife every day, don't you? And this one has wine bottle opener among other useful tools.
Plastic spoon, tiny - why? 1g For liquid or semiliquid food that can't be shoveled in with fingers. There have to be food stores also, not just restaurants, at least in the bigger cities.
Lighter - no, bring matches to heat your needle when working on blisters. - Thats scary. And why matches are better than lighter? They get wet, they spill all over the pack, they burn to the fingers or you have to drop them. And I use scissors on blisters anyway. (For bruises, cuts, blisters my method goes like this: cut off any fringes of skin, they don't grow back anyway but prevent the air from getting in the wound, clean the hole with H2O2 till its really clean, not just once over, pour licopodium, leave open to heal (fresh air does wonders). Usually this is enough, the next day the spot is as good as new. If it still isn't - ibumetin creme comes in, maybe backed up with paracetamol pills. Then its foolproof.)
H2O2 -no, a couple of mini pads of alcohol will do. WOW, ever tried alcohol on a cut or bruise? It hurts!!! Plus it doesn't clean too well, it only hurts and makes impression of care. And it has no oxygen in it to release in the wound. 25ml
Likopodium - what does this do? Its a powder from plants, dries the wound and stops bleeding practically immediately. Especially after it is half stopped by H2O2.
Ibumetin cream - it works well at 5%.
Band aid - no, get better bandages. Maybe I got the name wrong, I mean generic sticky pieces of material.
Paracetamol - no. And if you must, just bring 5 pills or so. 6 pills.
Activated carbon - why? Stomach. This thing absorbs all the bad stuff inside and it stops hurting you.
Tavegil - if you regularly have allergies yes, if not, no. It only takes one insect sting in the wrong place. Never again. 2 pills are coming.
Face cream - In warm weather I don't need it. Why not just use sunscreen? Lucky you. I'm too old for just something, especially in warm weather. Its face cream + sunscreen. Or in 45 days I'll be like a wrinkled potato. The same applies to other cosmetics: shampoo+ conditioner, tonic, etc. Non disputable. Even my son didn't blink an eye when he checked my stash. Want my face and hair also after the Camino. They say there is life after Camino.
Nappy pins - where do you finds yours? Have been looking for some but these days it's velcro. Auchan sewing department, had different sorts, I got ones with plastic ball instead of spiral at the end, nothing will get caught in them. Its Auchan in France and in Spain - AlCampo. Carrefour also had some.
Lamp - head lamp? If so, yes. Why headlamp? Never understood why. Just a small bright source of light to find my way in a dark room if I have to. Don't you just hold lamp in hand than try to put on the head when sleepy? 9g.
Lipstick (doubles as source of Vaseline) - No it doesn't. If you bring vaseline for your feet, leave the lipstick at home. It will melt in the heat anyways. Have to check. Here goes lipstick in the oven! (No) :D
Razor - if you wear lipstick, you don't need a razor ;0) How does lipstick work in the armpits and......? ;)
Superglue - no
Tape - what kind, for what? For feet? Then yes, for gear, no. No glue, no tape, how do you repair stuff that can't be sewn? Throw out and buy new? This particular kind of tape can be used both for gear and body.
Scisors (tiny) - no, you have your nail clippers and can always borrow. Borrow scissors - never ever. And will not lend them to anybody. These are for blisters and other wounds.
Nail lacquer (as protection against fungus) - do you often get fungi? Otherwise no, just buy it along the way if you need it. Saves looking for shops. Will need it. Never go with bare nails. I prefer protection not cure. And possibly the shop will have big bottles only. Plus I have it already, why spend double?
Perfume - just bring a sample size bottle, 1ml max. Exactly. Most everything on the list is sample size or souvenir size. Only sunscreen is full size.
And I can't see how jewelry, a fan and eye shadow are only 40 gr. Back to the scale to check this. Fan 20, trinkets 17, (piece of) pencil 5. 42. My bad. Yes, these things are the ones that may stay home. After all this is why I asked advice, different opinions help a lot. :):):)

Three strands of paracord - do you mean inner strands or a paracord braid? I think I take paracord as it is so it can be used for shoelaces if necessary. I'll change them for new ones before leaving home but you never know.

It was a braid of paracord, not just the inner strands. This was so I could stuff the corners of my clothes through the braid and hang them up to dry without using pins.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And here comes the promised review:

Pack weight was NO PROBLEM. Had Osprey Kestrel 38l, very comfortable and big enough.

ID, cards - sure;
Money - started with around 800 in my underwear and about 50 in coin purse. Had to refill at an ATM only once and once used card at a shop in Santiago to pay for silver souvenir sets;

Clothes. Both wearing and carry. Everything lightweight, quick dry/waterproof, NO cotton
Hiking boots (Merrell GTX, heaviest single item, rather pair, but I need ankle support) - ok. No problems at all;
Socks x3 - had 2 pairs cotton (! haha) socks, comfortable and good for the temperatures, but a bit of a problem to dry. Would have liked 3 pairs cotton. The third pair was rather thick liner, used as a spare in the evenings, not for walking;
Panties x2, Bra x2 - the same as socks. Although "quick dry", could have the third pair while the one from yesterday still dried. Occasionally had no underwear in the evenings;
T-shirt x2 - ok;
T-dress (for sleeping, evenings in albergues, cities) - my "little black dress". Perfect;
Leggings - used when t* dropped, both for evenings and for sleeping;
Long pants (with drawstring belt for possible weight loss) - ok;
Silk short shorts (not too shocking and very lightweight) - some found them mildly shocking but not enough to break the Camino friendship, so I consider ok. But next time would take men's swimming shorts, more comfortable, has pockets and faster drying;
Fleece jacket - perfect, turned out to be super quick dry, could wash in the evening and wear in the morning. The hood was very useful;
Wind/rain jacket - had strongly rainproofed one but in rain used poncho anyway, so the jacked could be more breathing;
Rain poncho (“normal” style, but maybe have to switch to Alitus) - was ok, more or less covered the backpack and important - water didn't get between me and the pack;
Gloves (ditch after mountains and more into summer) - used early May and some mornings when the t* was around 10*C. Ditched as planned;
Shoes (for albergues, cities, as lightweight as could find at 195g pair but all covered, no flipflops) - finally took black Crocs ballet flats, could cross small rivers in them and looked good in cities.
Silk shawl (doubles as towel, sunscreen, long sleeves, curtain, etc) - the best idea to take it!
Buff (maybe the shawl only?) - ok for windy days;
Sunglasses (optical) + case (leave at home plain optical glasses, still be able to see the yellow arrows, that’s all I need) - ok, worked;
(Plan to get: some baseball hat or visor) - got a hat with brim. Protected my ears and neck from the sun. Needed but didn't have (for next time) a strap to hold it on my head in strong wind.

Equipment:
Backpack (Osprey Kestrel 38l) - very good. Didn't feel the weight at all;
Fanny pack - huge one to put a photo camera in. Was ok. Also used in the evenings as a shoulder bag;
Card/money bag secret - ok;
Cloth shopping baggy - Ditched. All shops give bags + I had the fanny/shoulder bag;
Plastic bags (not for rustling but to waterproof my stuff) - ok. One big enough to put my camera bag in during shower. And close it with IKEA bag clip. Some places didn't have any dry space for bags or clothes. Worn out and changed that bag;
Roll of dog poo bags, with pink heart print, useful for many things - exactly, was useful for many things;
Ikea bag clip - see above;
Sleeping bag (no liners for me, I’m always cold at nights, doesn’t depend on t*). And had to ask for additional blankets every night. Luckily all albergues had them;
Sit upon /bubble wrap - from IKEA, 85g. Perfect. Would never sit on cold stone benches;
Walking poles (yes.) - listed as No.1 essential in another post. Without them I would still be in Pyrenees, crying. Also easier to walk on "normal" stretches;
Water bottles x3 - had 1 0,75 l plastic bottle for water, 1 the same for wine, 1 0,3l for water and used to refill the bigger bottle from low taps;
Swiss knife - used some 6 functions out of 10. They still have to design the "Lady Peregrina" knife with a nail file and no useless stuff.
Plastic spoon, tiny - ok, for yogurts. Mostly had Pilgrims Menu.
Clip for boots (when left at night) - only thing that helped me to recognise my dust covered boots among other just as dusty;
Towel - lightweight quick dry tourist towel, very good;
Electric plug divider for charge share - ditched in 3 days;
Pen - very small, was useful;
Whistle - emergency equipment, not discussed;
Brush (to wash boots and take stones out of their soles) - useful;
Paracord piece (as clothes line, spare shoelaces, belt, whatever) - very good. Some places had shortage of clotheslines;
Lighter - my smoker friend had one;
Safety pins/nappy pins - very useful for clothes drying both in albergues and on backpack, for quick repairs;
Lamp (Note to myself: change the batteries before leaving) - only few days got up at 5 to avoid the heat;
Superglue - when I needed it, it had dried out;
Tape - used for repairs and prevention of breaking things. Had to buy a heavy duty one for more serious repairs;
Needle and thread - when a shared washing machine broke my clothes. Some were beyond repair, had to buy new.

Smartphone/tablet (+charger) for wifi, Guidebooks=APPS - very good.
Photo (+charger) (my alter ego. A compromise camera between quality I want and weight I’m willing to carry, but I love it, especially because I do actually have it when I want to take a photo) - in 45 days 1800 photos. Thats after deleting the doubles and low quality.

Hygiene:
Dental floss (can also be used for equipment repairs) - yes, use for sewing too;
Face cream - A MUST!!!! And even young ones who didn't have their own asked to borrow. Half day in sun and wind is not the same as a whole day in office;
Sunscreen - another must. And it doesn't work as face cream nor face cream as sunscreen;
Lavanda - used as a perfume and twice sprayed beds when the albergue looked somewhat suspicious in the sense of bed bugs;
Washing powder - lost at the very beginning and replaced with 1/2 bar "Jabon natural" from local shop, lasted enough;
Toothbrush (folding) - ok;
Toothpaste - small travel size, was enough for 45 days, some left;
Soap - never ever again vanilla soap! Alone smelled nice, but as soon as I stared to wash the sweat, it stank awfully;
Nail clip - toe nails grow fast, had to clip 3x. Fingernails left to grow, don't repair what doesn't break;
Nail file - a small piece of cardboard, used a little;
Nail lacquer (as protection against fungus) - worked. And looked impressive;
Shampoo - got Lush dry bar, very good and used off just the top of it;
Condicioner (want to have my hair also after el Camino) - also Lush dry. Very good. Lightweight.
Comb+mirror - took just the comb but the combination of both would have been better. While its true that there are mirrors in albergue and bar toilets, I wanted my own too.
Tonic - good;
Cotton wipes - for tonic and for blister care after I cut them off. Good.
Lipstick (doubles as source of Vaseline) - some warned that lipstick may melt in hot weather so I finally took Lush lip balm, very good;
Tissues/TP - bought some tissue packages along the way and kept my napkins from dinner;
Scisors (tiny) - useful for manicure and blisters;
Razor - sure (for 45 days!).

Medicine:
Hand sanit. - used just a few times, but it leaked during the flight back, all the towel was soaked in it. Was enough possibilities to wash hands normal way;
"Gold Star" balm (from running nose to strained muscles and insect bites) - the same as Tiger balm, just more compact. Used, was ok;
Ibumetin cream (not the same as balm) - used;
H2O2, Likopodium, Band aid - used for blisters;
Paracetamol - most useful. Somebody nicknamed it "pilgrim candy". Kill all inflammations before they spoil your Camino;
Activated carbon -food was good, didn't need it;
Tavegil - also didn't need it, but next time its coming along anyway;

Fan (or maybe not, but this bamboo one is 20g only, and in hot weather it’s not exactly a vanity item) - took it. Perfect during the heat wave and just to fool around in the evenings;
Perfume - good;
Jewelry - mine was nothing if compared to what others had....
Eye shadow (yes.) Also used the Lush lip balm for make up.

Vaseline - wasn't on my original list but added at the last moment after advice here. Total burden, luckily had only a teaspoonful.

I mentioned blisters a few times. Had 2 small at the beginning when I tried to be good to my feet and treated them with foot cream. Which made them soft and vulnerable. Later all I did was stop every 2-3 hours, remove boots, socks, check, massage, go on.

2 pair of long pants with zip-off legs and you will be covered well no matter the weather. You can get very lightweight ones.

€60,-
I had them bought but didn't take: they don't have elastic and string in the belt, so after the weight loss on the Camino I risk pants loss too. Plus the shorts are shorter and lighter, which in hot weather is welcome.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back