• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

well, booked my plane ticket today for Camino numero dos......

M

Mark Lee

I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I finally booked my airplane ticket to Madrid today. Flying in to Madrid on June 5th at 7:50 am. It's an Iberia Airlines flight out of Miami. Anybody had any experience with that airline before? I'm going to try to do the carry-on thing with my backpack and I figure that will let me get to the bus station to Pamplona a little quicker.
I hope to catch the 10:45 am bus to Pamplona.
Now trying to decide whether to just continue on to St. Jean that day or stay in Pamplona and go to St. Jean in the morning.
Pack should be pretty light and won't be full. It's a 48 liter.
Packing no fleece jacket, but do have a long sleeve running type shirt and a lightweight rain jacket (I'm warm blooded anyway, and it's got to be pretty darn cold for me to whine ;)). Have an ultra-light sleeping bag, but can't help but think I will get little use from it, but have already spent money on it and don't feel like buying a liner to use instead.
Anyway, decisions, decisions.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Currently there are two buses daily from Pamplona to SJPdP

1730 17 March - 30 September 2014 and 1430 1 June -30 September 2014.

Use the international tab.

ALSA
http://www.alsa.es/en/

You don't have a choice to go in the morning.

Yes, thanks for the information.
My flight lands at 7:50 am, so I think that should be enough time to make the 10:45 am bus to Pamplona which gets me there at 3:35 pm which would put me early enough to catch the 5:30 pm bus to St. Jean which arrives there at 7:15 pm.

Should I make the bus reservations online? Is that recommended, or just wait until I get to the station?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I finally booked my airplane ticket to Madrid today. Flying in to Madrid on June 5th at 7:50 am. It's an Iberia Airlines flight out of Miami. Anybody had any experience with that airline before? I'm going to try to do the carry-on thing with my backpack and I figure that will let me get to the bus station to Pamplona a little quicker.

Hi Mark,

Can you please give me details on getting to Pamplona and then on to SJPP? I fly in late at night so will have to stay in Madrid but would love to go to SJPP the following day.

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Can you please give me details on getting to Pamplona and then on to SJPP? I fly in late at night so will have to stay in Madrid but would love to go to SJPP the following day.

Thanks

Here is the link to the bus line with the times, etc. Whariwharangi showed me the link.
Looks like there is a very early bus from Madrid to Pamplona which leaves at 1:15 am and gets to Pamplona at about 6:30 am. That would be a very tiring bus ride, but would get you into Pamplona early enough to catch the 2:30 pm bus to St. Jean which gets you there at 4:15 pm.

Here is the link to the bus line with the times, etc. Whariwharangi showed me the link.
Looks like there is a very early bus from Madrid to Pamplona which leaves at 1:15 am and gets to Pamplona at about 6:30 am. That would be a very tiring bus ride, but would get you into Pamplona early enough to catch the 2:30 pm bus to St. Jean which gets you there at 4:15 pm.

As i get in at 8.20pm the night before after 3 long flights to get to Madrid I cant imagine I will be able to do that at this stage. I have been suggested that there are often other pilgrims on the us to Pamplona so to convince them to cab it to SJPP for around 25E ea,,,,so fingers crossed I meet some.

I found the bus to Pamplona on that link but couldnt pull up anything to SJPP.....am I missing something??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As i get in at 8.20pm the night before after 3 long flights to get to Madrid I cant imagine I will be able to do that at this stage. I have been suggested that there are often other pilgrims on the us to Pamplona so to convince them to cab it to SJPP for around 25E ea,,,,so fingers crossed I meet some.

I found the bus to Pamplona on that link but couldnt pull up anything to SJPP.....am I missing something??

Book tickets Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port separate from any other ticket. Use the international tab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

Thanks

2053 Madrid to Pamplona by train

The Renfe train route from Madrid (usually Puerta de Atocha) to Pamplona goes via Zaragoza. Transfers may be required so check the itenerary.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

2054 Madrid to Pamplona by bus

ALSA operates buses to Pamplona from Barajas Airport T4, and Estacion (or Intercambiador) de Avenida de America. Note there is usually a transfer at Soria or Zaragoza.

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/

2056 Pamplona

Pamplona Airport (PNA)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Pamplona/en/Home.html

Estacion de Autobuses de Pamplona
http://estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx

Pamplona Renfe Station
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/80100/informacion_000111.shtml

2058 Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port

ALSA provides ~seasonal~ bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port through its subsidiary Conda. The bus stop in Saint Jean Pied de Port is located near the junction of Route d'Uhart and Route d'Arneguy. The Conda site advises that you purchase the ticket from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port separately from any other bus ticket.

At time of writing the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP runs 1730 daily 17 March to 30 September 2014 and 1430 1 June to 30 Sept 2014. The bus returns from SJPdP to Pamplona. The schedule is usually updated a month in advance. Check the schedule before travel in case buses are added or deleted. Use the ALSA international tab and click the 'query without date' button.

If the bus is not operating your options are to continue to SJPdP via Bayonne or hire a taxi from Pamplona or Roncesvalles.

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/

Conda
http://www.conda.es/

2053 Madrid to Pamplona by train

ALSA provides ~seasonal~ bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port through its subsidiary Conda. The bus stop in Saint Jean Pied de Port is located near the junction of Route d'Uhart and Route d'Arneguy. The Conda site advises that you purchase the ticket from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port separately from any other bus ticket.

You rock! Thanks so much :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mike, you will be right on my tail. I am staying the night at Orrison on 6/6. I have been paying a lot attention at the weather forecast and unfortunately it is calling for rain for the next 10 days and the temperature range here in Biarritz is hovering between 55F to 65F, so it looks like a soggy, chilly start to the Camino.

No reservation on the bus Iberia is good enough-nothing to write home about mind you but they will get you there. Like all airlines-the timetable is often just a recommendation-such long international flights can often make up lost time but what are you going to do with a bus ticket for a bus that left 45 minutes ago?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, thanks for the information.
My flight lands at 7:50 am, so I think that should be enough time to make the 10:45 am bus to Pamplona which gets me there at 3:35 pm which would put me early enough to catch the 5:30 pm bus to St. Jean which arrives there at 7:15 pm.

Should I make the bus reservations online? Is that recommended, or just wait until I get to the station?

I have no idea how heavily subscribed the buses are. There are lots of options from Madrid to Pamplona. I guess the critical leg is the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP, particularly as lots of people starting from Roncesvalles would use this bus too. I wonder if a second bus would run on the same schedule if there is demand. It'd be interesting to get feedback from people using this service.

Your mission should you choose to accept it ...

Mike, you will be right on my tail. I am staying the night at Orrison on 6/6. I have been paying a lot attention at the weather forecast and unfortunately it is calling for rain for the next 10 days and the temperature range here in Biarritz is hovering between 55F to 65F, so it looks like a soggy, chilly start to the Camino.

55F to 65F is a good temp for my son as this is identical to what we have here at the moment in SW Scotland (class this as t-shirt n shorts weather), and I we arrive SJdP on 5th to start our camino adventure with Stage 1 on 6th In our Kilts so hope the rain eases and the better weather ensues.

Now trying to decide whether to just continue on to St. Jean that day or stay in Pamplona and go to St. Jean in the morning.
Pack should be pretty light and won't be full. It's a 48 liter.
Packing no fleece jacket, but do have a long sleeve running type shirt and a lightweight rain jacket (I'm warm blooded anyway, and it's got to be pretty darn cold for me to whine ;)). Have an ultra-light sleeping bag, but can't help but think I will get little use from it, but have already spent money on it and don't feel like buying a liner to use instead.
Anyway, decisions, decisions.....
Ah yes - Camino number two! I have a June 24 flight into Malaga to attempt again the Camino mozarabe - Malaya to Cordoba to Santiago !!! My feet literally dissolved last june and had to call it a day in Cordoba!!! Wish me well -

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The last couple of times I have planned to take the bus from Barajas Terminal 4 it was sold out. No biggie as it just meant to take the bus from Avenida Las Americas or wait for the next one at Barajas. There are many buses and trains leaving daily from Madrid to Pamplona. I would buy in advanced IF (...and only if) the bus company have a cancellation policy that would allow you to get credit and change your ticket if flight delays. Otherwise, a bit of a risk. Buen Camino!

The last couple of times I have planned to take the bus from Barajas Terminal 4 it was sold out. No biggie as it just meant to take the bus from Avenida Las Americas or wait for the next one at Barajas. There are many buses and trains leaving daily from Madrid to Pamplona. I would buy in advanced IF (...and only if) the bus company have a cancellation policy that would allow you to get credit and change your ticket if flight delays. Otherwise, a bit of a risk. Buen Camino!

Well I gambled the 33 euros and booked bus reservations online (PayPal) to leave from the Madrid Terminal 4. I figure since I have an almost three hour window to play with, good chance I'll make the bus.
Now trying to decide whether to stay in Pamplona that day or go straight to SJPP.......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Happy to see many people starting their camino in July! Maybe we will meet on the road!!! I arrive at SJPP on the 7/7 in the afternoon, spending the night there and starting my camino on the 8th. I hope it won't begin with rain. I am a bit worried of the weather,since i will pack few things so my backpack to be light,i want to be sure to take the right clothes depending on the weather. Any suggestions???
I am flying from Greece alone and i am excited for the journey and all the people that i will meet!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Happy to see many people starting their camino in July! Maybe we will meet on the road!!! I arrive at SJPP on the 7/7 in the afternoon, spending the night there and starting my camino on the 8th. I hope it won't begin with rain. I am a bit worried of the weather,since i will pack few things so my backpack to be light,i want to be sure to take the right clothes depending on the weather. Any suggestions???
I am flying from Greece alone and i am excited for the journey and all the people that i will meet!

Did the Camino last summer from mid-July to mid August. Not one single rainy day and wore shorts everyday. Sometimes a little cool at night and early in the morning. Lightweight fleece jacket should suffice.
Still, bring at least a rain jacket and definitely a pack cover.
Typical looking Camino day for me last summer:

062.JPG

Did the Camino last summer from mid-July to mid August. Not one single rainy day and wore shorts everyday. Sometimes a little cool at night and early in the morning. Lightweight fleece jacket should suffice.

View attachment 10347

I'll take bucket loads of that weather please Mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the advise!
The picture is magical!!!
Can not wait to start my camino!
There are times that i am scared because i will be alone and it's my first time but my soul wants like crazy to do the camino so i think that once i get to SJPP and figure out how everything works i will be fine:))
Buon camino to everyone and maybe someone along the journey we will meet:)))

There are times that i am scared because i will be alone and it's my first time but my soul wants like crazy to do the camino so i think that once i get to SJPP and figure out how everything works i will be fine:))
Buon camino to everyone and maybe someone along the journey we will meet:)))

View attachment 10347
Buen camino to everyone and maybe somewhere along the journey we will meet:)))

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back