• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Well Hell - Part 2

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
I am a bad patient. Or more appropriately I am an impatient patient. The boot drove me nuts and I down-graded myself to a pull-on brace, which then got downgraded to no brace. I knew in the deepest part of myself I was playing with fire, but at my first ortho visit I asked my doctor...will I do myself irreparable harm or just make my foot hurt longer. She replied the latter (which I took advantage of to justify my impatience). Second trip to the doc, no progress, yesterday...major progress. The fractured bone has reattached itself and she gave me clearance to start training again (slowly and on even surfaces for now). Happy Dance (oops, no dancing).

I am taking the advice of some of my Camino sisters and brothers, I have decided to start at the furthest drop-off point past Orisson rather than blow out my quads after no training, and, I am allowing myself to forward my backpack on this first day so that I do not compromise my balance going down. I know some albergues do not accept forwarded bags, does anyone know if this will be a problem at Roncesvalles?

Foot aside, I have settled into constant anxiety, which is not new for me as I hate to fly and of course the worry about being gone for so long, but part of the anxiety is sheer thrill.

Much Aloha to all who lifted me up in Part One of Well Hell. Now it has become, Well Hell it's time to go!!!!

Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is the website and there is a place for questions as well as booking. Use Chrome to translate if you don't read Spanish. There are some hospitaleros who volunteer there that are on the forum so maybe they can give a clear answer, but there is nothing on the website that says bag shipping is prohibited.

I am a bad patient. Or more appropriately I am an impatient patient. The boot drove me nuts and I down-graded myself to a pull-on brace, which then got downgraded to no brace. I knew in the deepest part of myself I was playing with fire, but at my first ortho visit I asked my doctor...will I do myself irreparable harm or just make my foot hurt longer. She replied the latter (which I took advantage of to justify my impatience). Second trip to the doc, no progress, yesterday...major progress. The fractured bone has reattached itself and she gave me clearance to start training again (slowly and on even surfaces for now). Happy Dance (oops, no dancing).

I am taking the advice of some of my Camino sisters and brothers, I have decided to start at the furthest drop-off point past Orisson rather than blow out my quads after no training, and, I am allowing myself to forward my backpack on this first day so that I do not compromise my balance going down. I know some albergues do not accept forwarded bags, does anyone know if this will be a problem at Roncesvalles?

Foot aside, I have settled into constant anxiety, which is not new for me as I hate to fly and of course the worry about being gone for so long, but part of the anxiety is sheer thrill.

Much Aloha to all who lifted me up in Part One of Well Hell. Now it has become, Well Hell it's time to go!!!!

Happy Trails
I see you didn't adopt Patience as your middle name...did Grace win out instead? 😄
Neither name won out for me when I sustained a similar injury in Innsbruck, Austria. I was told to rest up for 6 weeks but as I was travelling with several more countries to visit, as soon as I could put weight on my foot (after only a few days), I did. End result?..a 6 week full injury recovery time turned in to 9 months...but no regrets.
I knew my limits & you know yours so go for it! Oh...& no more face plants ok?
Take care & enjoy. 🤗
👣 🌏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know some albergues do not accept forwarded bags, does anyone know if this will be a problem at Roncesvalles?

They accepted my Express Bouricott bag on my last Camino. The bag was extra video gear that I didn't need when filming the total walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles over the Napoleon Route. The bag was about the size of a medium suitcase, and it was there when I arrived. I had to ask one of the volunteers where to find it, and after a short check in the office, took me outside to a storage room to retrieve my bag. I saw several backpacks inside that room with transport tags.

Happy Trails
I shipped my bag to Roncesvalles last fall - no problem. They keep them in a sort of garage outside the main building - not far still in the main compound

Happy Trails
There is a steep descent into Rounceseville so be very aware of the structure of the path. My first Camino in 2012 some if the path was laid over with smooth stone which can put a great strain on the knees if you don't vary your step.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I know Hotel Roncesvalles accepts bags because mine is being sent there. I have heard Roncesvalles to Zubiri is not easy peasy and has some downhill also.

I see you didn't adopt Patience as your middle name...did Grace win out instead? 😄
Neither name won out for me when I sustained a similar injury in Innsbruck, Austria. I was told to rest up for 6 weeks but as I was travelling with several more countries to visit, as soon as I could put weight on my foot (after only a few days), I did. End result?..a 6 week full injury recovery time turned in to 9 months...but no regrets.
I knew my limits & you know yours so go for it! Oh...& no more face plants ok?
Take care & enjoy. 🤗
👣 🌏
Thank you Tassie, wishing you joy!

There is a steep descent into Rounceseville so be very aware of the structure of the path. My first Camino in 2012 some if the path was laid over with smooth stone which can put a great strain on the knees if you don't vary your step.
Very good to know, thank you so much!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Happy Trails
Consider starting from Zubiri or Pampalona!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back