• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Well REI will take you on the Rota Vincentina for $2,999 * (6 nites)

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Attempted to edit thread title for spelling but couldn't figure out how to...
* if you're a member, a few hundred if not...
and that does not include airfare...
https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/europe/portugal-hiking.html

Price Includes

Double-occupancy accommodations; meals as noted in the daily itinerary; wine included with dinners; bi-lingual hiking guides; private transportation and luggage transfers; sightseeing as noted in the itinerary including entrance fees.

Not Included

Round-trip airfare; airport/hotel transfers; 4 lunches and 1 dinner; insurance of any kind; excess baggage charges; alcoholic beverages (apart from wine with dinners); optional guide gratuities; items of a personal nature.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
$500 a night basically!
And people actually pay this?
More money than sense :rolleyes:
I'm in the wrong business.........

Yeah, it's a total ripoff. What a terrible waste of money. I'm obviously in the wrong line of work too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, it's a total ripoff. What a terrible waste of money. I'm obviously in the wrong line of work too.

I suppose there will always be those who through lack of confidence or maybe poor health would prefer to have it all planned and be 'led'. It just saddens me to see such inflated costs and it reflects very badly on the suppliers of these types of services.....

I suppose there will always be those who through lack of confidence or maybe poor health would prefer to have it all planned and be 'led'. It just saddens me to see such inflated costs and it reflects very badly on the suppliers of these types of services.....

Indeed I have all sympathy for people who want to be led by a guide or like everything planned out but the prices are indeed not in proportion.
I seem to remember that there are some types of agencies that help out pilgrims on the first days just to give them that boost of confidence but I can't recall the names anymore. A certain Nancy, she also posts here on this forum?

I know some people who use and volunteeer in this Belgian organisation and took a look at their prices for a Camino week in France ( taken into consideration that lodgings are more expensive there than in Spain ). This seems all more payable to say the least.
http://www.femma.be/nl/reizen/reis/...-la-douce-france-sur-les-pas-de-saint-jacques

Anyway, also in the wrong field of work...but very happy being so ;)

Last edited:
Indeed I have all sympathy for people who want to be led by a guide or like everything planned out but the prices are indeed not in proportion.

I know some people who use and volunteeer in this Belgian organisation and took a look at their prices for a Camino week in France ( taken into conideration that lodgings are more expensive there than in Spain ). This seems all more payable to say the least.
http://www.femma.be/nl/reizen/reis/...-la-douce-france-sur-les-pas-de-saint-jacques

Indeed that looks very fair!

Last edited:
It's one thing for the NYT to be doing this kind of thing, but how sad to see REI also becoming a purveyor of too-expensive journeys for those with more money than sense; it used to be a different kind of business.
And...we are all in the right line of work if we're not being rip-off artists. My opinion, anyway.
How much does one really need, anyway?:)

Well, we saw those tourists on the Rota Vicentina last month. We were walking south on the Fisherman's Way, just beautiful. At our stop we saw the REI van LOADED with luggage. They were headed north, thank goodness. We were stopped for espresso at the only stop that day. Some of those people looked to be struggling, good thing the van was available for the next step, as the next bit north was a bit technical.

Last edited:
More money than sense and stamina! According to one reviewer, the daily hike rarely exceeds 5 miles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's really a shame that none of the posters so far is working in the travelling business which seems to be so outrageously lucrative and could provide some insight into cost/benefit calculations :cool:.

As a business owner myself, I can understand how these prices might be derived. It's just that as 'experienced' consumers, the members here realise the true costs.

Once you add profit margins on all the accommodation and transport (would need to be at least 30%)
Business overheads. (maybe add another 20%)
Planning costs for each trip (the staff who do it, say add another 20%)
The Guides and their costs (could easily be e500 a day)

It soon mounts up............ A 100% mark up might easily be in the ball park.

But not sure I can get it to e425 a day !

So the next question that comes begging is who here wondered how to get hired to walk the camino?:D
(No doubt @Anniesantiago will disabuse you of that idea. It would be no picnic to herd people across Spain who have spent that kind of money and expect Service.)
Well, may some of those upscale hikers catch the Camino virus and do it by themselves next time, on 45 Euros a day instead of 450.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What may be missed is that the 500 dollars per day is for double occupancy. Let's face it..they are no likely paying more than 100 dollars per night for a hotel. Two persons would be sharing a room for 1000 bucks a night. The profit margin is huge!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back