• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Well this sucks-possible stress fracture

StepheninDC

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
I just came from an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. I've had a mild pain sometimes in my left foot when I sit cross-legged and decided to have him check it out. He did an X-ray and found no fracture, however he did a manual examination and thinks I might (I emphasize, might) have a stress fracture in my calcaneus (heel). Well this sucks, I'm supposed to start walking the CF from SJPdP just 6 weeks from yesterday, and it can take 6-8 weeks just to heal from a stress fracture. I still have to get an MRI to be certain, but what to do now??
The doctor said it can come from suddenly ramping up walking (which is of course what I need to do to train for the Camino), and he suggested switching from hiking shoes (My Merrell Moabs, which I love) to a trail running shoe. I guess it helps that my doctor is himself a marathon runner and understands this stuff from something other than just a medical background. Even so, I'm really upset right now. I am going to Spain next month no matter what, but I'm a little depressed at the prospect of having to shorten my walking dramatically and/or stay off my feet for the next 5 1/2 weeks. Can anyone offer advice? (please don't say "go later" or "call it off", but that's not happening). Maybe it's not a big deal, but I'm worried. BTW I'm guessing it's my fault because while I work out a lot, I've been using the same New Balance shoes for several years and I probably wore out the cushioning which has now led to this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not a medic but don't exacerbate the injury because you feel compelled to start walking on that date. Go to Spain anyway, take it easy, travel by bus along the Camino until your foot is better, consult an expert before shifting to walking. Expect more informed responses after this. Just wanted to encourage you in your decision to travel to Spain no matter what.

I am not a medic but don't exacerbate the injury because you feel compelled to start walking on that date. Go to Spain anyway, take it easy, travel by bus along the Camino until your foot is better, consult an expert before shifting to walking. Expect more informed responses after this. Just wanted to encourage you in your decision to travel to Spain no matter what.
Thank you, due to my schedule the earliest I can get the MRI is Thursday night, i.e. two days from now. The longer it takes, the longer I have to wait until I figure out what to do. It's really a Catch-22, I NEED to train for the Camino but if I have an injury I can't train. Grr...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just came from an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. I've had a mild pain sometimes in my left foot when I sit cross-legged and decided to have him check it out. He did an X-ray and found no fracture, however he did a manual examination and thinks I might (I emphasize, might) have a stress fracture in my calcaneus (heel). Well this sucks, I'm supposed to start walking the CF from SJPdP just 6 weeks from yesterday, and it can take 6-8 weeks just to heal from a stress fracture. I still have to get an MRI to be certain, but what to do now??
The doctor said it can come from suddenly ramping up walking (which is of course what I need to do to train for the Camino), and he suggested switching from hiking shoes (My Merrell Moabs, which I love) to a trail running shoe. I guess it helps that my doctor is himself a marathon runner and understands this stuff from something other than just a medical background. Even so, I'm really upset right now. I am going to Spain next month no matter what, but I'm a little depressed at the prospect of having to shorten my walking dramatically and/or stay off my feet for the next 5 1/2 weeks. Can anyone offer advice? (please don't say "go later" or "call it off", but that's not happening). Maybe it's not a big deal, but I'm worried. BTW I'm guessing it's my fault because while I work out a lot, I've been using the same New Balance shoes for several years and I probably wore out the cushioning which has now led to this.
Stephen, people try to get themselves into the best shape possible to go and do this, right? Not your fault and hopefully not a Camino-ender. Better to understand if there's a problem and know what to do about it rather than being sidelined in Spain with a worsened problem. This is NOT medical advice - I was an ortho/neuro trauma nurse for many years before retiring, but we saw the major injuries, not necessarily stress fractures. If there was point tenderness, that might be some indication, but try to manage until after the MRI (that's the hard part.....)...... if it's not a stress fracture, it might be such a subtle thing that your doc, especially as a runner, will have suggestions for how to manage it, knowing you're going on Camino, and maybe would suggest some modifications such as shorter walking days. When I ran, I sometimes had mild foot pain, even heel pain, and it was nothing at all. It was smart of you to go to your orthopedic surgeon to have it checked out. Also, I hiked 2 Caminos in hiking shoes and this year am training in good trail runners - what a huge difference in comfort!

Maybe go take a nice stroll down to Del Ray in your trail runners and have an ice cream at the Dairy Godmother. The very best to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen, people try to get themselves into the best shape possible to go and do this, right? Not your fault and hopefully not a Camino-ender. Better to understand if there's a problem and know what to do about it rather than being sidelined in Spain with a worsened problem. This is NOT medical advice - I was an ortho/neuro trauma nurse for many years before retiring, but we saw the major injuries, not necessarily stress fractures. If there was point tenderness, that might be some indication, but try to manage until after the MRI (that's the hard part.....)...... it might be such a subtle thing that your doc, especially as a runner, will have suggestions for how to manage it, knowing you're going on Camino, and maybe would suggest some modifications such as shorter walking days. When I ran, I sometimes had mild foot pain, even heel pain, and it was nothing at all. It was smart of you to go to your orthopedic surgeon to have it checked out. Also, I hiked 2 Caminos in hiking shoes and this year am training in good trail runners - what a huge difference in comfort! The very best to you!

Thanks, @HighlandsHiker, I really appreciate that. My doctor recommended Hoka trail runners, from what I can tell they seem to be very comfortable. I guess I'm surprised because the Merrells I bought have been really comfortable and supportive. I haven't had any foot pain at all walking in them, which is why I'm puzzled that the doctor seems to think I'm walking too far too soon. He recommends a 10% increase in distance per week. At that rate I'm only going to be able to walk about 11-12 miles per day in 6 weeks. I do agree about not wanting to be sidelined in Spain, although there are far worse things than to be "stranded" at a bar sipping Rioja and enjoying tapas, haha. He did say that swimming, biking and elliptical exercise won't hurt my foot, so it's possible I could bike part of the Camino.

I loved my Merrells too. People really like the Hoka One Ones - they have a roomy toe box. I have New Balance Hierro v2's this time and they're more comfortable than I could have hoped for. They don't look anywhere near as "hiker-cool" as real hiking shoes or boots, but maybe worth that sacrifice for the comfort. Again, this isn't medical advice, but it's sometimes the repetitive actions (like pushing training) that cause stress fractures and tendonitis. Here's the thing - even if you only get up to a few sessions of longer-day prep that might be fine. I'm 61 -you look like a young guy. And I just do some yoga to counteract the compacting effects of hiking and do about 2 months of 3X/week hikes of maybe 6 - 10K and in the last month, I step it up to one or two longer hikes per week with a pack. Everyone here can give you ideas for starting out easy - such as taking Caroline's Bourricot Express up the less scenic and most strenuous 5 - 8K of the first day out of SJPP (are you doing the Frances?). You can send your pack ahead to reduce the stress on your feet. You can do bus-aheads through the more tedious parts. So, 11-12 miles per day of daily walking is possibly (read: probably) overkill. You pick up great strength from however far you hike ON the Camino every day and by 10 days in things are much easier if you've done good footcare and not gotten injured. Oh, yes, there's always the Rioja and Cervezas:0)))). And all kinds of good things to see in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago (the food is great in Santiago, BTW). You wouldn't be at a loss for a good trip, even under the worst case scenario for this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I loved my Merrells too. People really like the Hokas - they have a roomy toe box. I have New Balance Hierro v2's this time and they're more comfortable than I could have hoped for. They don't look anywhere near as "hiker-cool" as real hiking shoes or boots, but maybe worth that sacrifice for the comfort. Again, this isn't medical advice, but it's sometimes the injuries related to repetitive actions (like pushing training) that cause stress fractures and tendonitis. Here's the thing, and you probably know this - only a few sessions of whole-Camino-day prep will be fine. I'm 61 -you look like a young guy. And I just do some yoga to counteract the compacting effects of hiking and do about 2 months of 3X/week hikes of maybe 6 - 10K/week and in the last month, I step it up to one or two longer hikes per week with a pack. Everyone here can give you ideas for starting out easy - such as taking Caroline's Bourricot Express up the less scenic and most strenuous 5 - 8K of the first day out of SJPP (are you doing the Frances?). You can send your pack ahead to reduce the stress on your feet. You can do bus-aheads through the more tedious parts. So, 11-12 miles per day of daily walking is possibly (read: probably) overkill. You pick up great strength from however far you hike ON the Camino every day and by 10 days in things are much easier if you've done good footcare and not gotten injured. Oh, yes, there's always the Rioja and Cervezas:0)))). And all kinds of good things to see in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago (the food is great in Santiago, BTW). You wouldn't be at a massive loss for a good trip, even under the worst case scenario for this.
Thank you, yes I am doing the Camino Frances. (or at least planning to) I did contact Bourricot Express, although that was because I was looking for transportation FROM Pamplona and she only goes the way way. These are all good ideas, thanks. I am thinking more and more it's because of the workouts I do. I go to a very intense fitness boot camp about 3 times a week, it's great for fitness but exhausting-we've had people throw up and then leave because it was too much-and I'm 53 years old but in very good shape (except, apparently, for my pie izquierdo). However, I haven't changed shoes in probably 3 years, and I think the stress of using the same shoes over and over is to blame. I'm going to go to REI tonight after work and try on some trail runners, we'll see. I guess I'll need to start the RICE treatment as well, just to be on the safe side. I won't lie, I'm bummed that I won't be able to walk the entire Camino at this rate. Oh well, it is what it is. PS I've never been to Dairy Godmother, they closed earlier this year but reopened...

Thank you, yes I am doing the Camino Frances. (or at least planning to) I did contact Bourricot Express, although that was because I was looking for transportation FROM Pamplona and she only goes the way way. These are all good ideas, thanks. I am thinking more and more it's because of the workouts I do. I go to a very intense fitness boot camp about 3 times a week, it's great for fitness but exhausting-we've had people throw up and then leave because it was too much-and I'm 53 years old but in very good shape (except, apparently, for my pie izquierdo). However, I haven't changed shoes in probably 3 years, and I think the stress of using the same shoes over and over is to blame. I'm going to go to REI tonight after work and try on some trail runners, we'll see. I guess I'll need to start the RICE treatment as well, just to be on the safe side. I won't lie, I'm bummed that I won't be able to walk the entire Camino at this rate. Oh well, it is what it is.
Ha! My sister does Boot Camp in Alexandria and runs on the Potomac at 05:30. I don't see how she does it. You're thinking that if you don't train very seriously you won't be able to walk the whole way? Your Spanish will really help, and one way or another, things will work out.

Don't panic until you get the MRI. "Maybe's" are just too stressful. Once you get the straight scoop you can make decisions. I'm not sure that I would trust a runner (even if he is a doctor) to be the last word on shoes that you need for a long walk. I think you will be better off doing your own research. Runners have their own bias, just as each of us has our own bias. The trick is to absorb as much of it as you can and then make a decision based upon what you already know about you and your body. Good luck. I hope the MRI is clear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hokas are great, but most of the, have a narrow toe box. So keep trying their different models until you find the right one.

For instance, the Bondi model. Had a wide toebox in Bondi 3. But in Bondi 4 they narrowed it. So now they sell the Bondi 5 in regular and wide.

Problem with some Hokas is that to be so light some materials are not super long lasting, including the thread/sole. My Bondi 3 showed quite a bit of wear and tear on ball of feet and heel after 200km. My Cliftons are made with a different, less porous material.

Ha! My sister does Boot Camp in Alexandria and runs on the Potomac at 05:30. I don't see how she does it. You're thinking that if you don't train very seriously you won't be able to walk the whole way? Your Spanish will really help, and one way or another, things will work out.
Thanks, my boot camp is in Alexandria, too. Small world. Yes, I do speak fluent Spanish, so that should help. As for running on the Potomac at 5:30 (I assume you mean AM?), that's awesome. I have too many evening obligations to be able to get up that early!

I had a metatarsal stress fracture 2 years ago. Before it was diagnosed, I had several months when I could walk a few km but no more than 8 km without significant pain. I had tried resting it for 3 weeks but it didn't heal. Finally, once I got it diagnosed, the doctor said it typically takes 6-8 weeks to heal. He suggested I wear a boot or an special insert in my shoe. I decided that the insert increased my discomfort, and the boot was overkill (since I was in no pain if I walked extremely slowly and wore cushioned footwear). Instead, I chose instead to stay off my feet as much as possible for the duration. I rarely left the house, wore crocs around the house on the hard floors, and when I did go out I walked very very slowly so there was virtually no discomfort. It took some hard discipline as the healing was not clear until 6 weeks, when I realized it was almost completely better; at 7 or 8 weeks it was 100%, and I ramped up walking at more than 10%/week (after all, what is 10% of 0 km?) At 10 weeks later I was walking from SJPP. It has never bothered me since.

The lesson... if it is a stress fracture, 6 weeks of rest are probably needed. What that "rest" looks like might be variable. I'd suggest that you be really strict in the time you have at home, starting right now - no walking; use soft shoes around the house and when going out. Consider a "boot cast" if your doctor suggests. Forget about even modest walking/training. What I learned is that until it is healed, it isn't healed; and you don't want to set it back. Each day of healing could be undone by a day of walking! So, stay off the foot!

If you are lucky, you might be better in 6 weeks. However, it would be wise to expect to modify your plans for the first week or two. I.e. don't walk the first week, and then work up your distances to see how it goes. This can be a lesson in humility for those of us who like to be in control!:(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a metatarsal stress fracture 2 years ago. Before it was diagnosed, I had several months when I could walk a few km but no more than 8 km without significant pain. I had tried resting it for 3 weeks but it didn't heal. Finally, once I got it diagnosed, the doctor said it typically takes 6-8 weeks to heal. He suggested I wear a boot or an special insert in my shoe. I decided that the insert increased my discomfort, and the boot was overkill (since I was in no pain if I walked extremely slowly and wore cushioned footwear). Instead, I chose instead to stay off my feet as much as possible for the duration. I rarely left the house, wore crocs around the house on the hard floors, and when I did go out I walked very very slowly so there was virtually no discomfort. It took some hard discipline as the healing was not clear until 6 weeks, when I realized it was almost completely better; at 7 or 8 weeks it was 100%, and I ramped up walking at more than 10%/week (after all, what is 10% of 0 km?) At 10 weeks later I was walking from SJPP. It has never bothered me since.

The lesson... if it is a stress fracture, 6 weeks of rest are probably needed. What that "rest" looks like might be variable. I'd suggest that you be really strict in the time you have at home, starting right now - no walking; use soft shoes around the house and when going out. Consider a "boot cast" if your doctor suggests. Forget about even modest walking/training. What I learned is that until it is healed, it isn't healed; and you don't want to set it back. Each day of healing could be undone by a day of walking! So, stay off the foot!

If you are lucky, you might be better in 6 weeks. However, it would be wise to expect to modify your plans for the first week or two. I.e. don't walk the first week, and then work up your distances to see how it goes. This can be a lesson in humility for those of us who like to be in control!:(

Thank you, I actually read an earlier thread you posted on this subject (I think it was a post from 2 years ago, if I remember correctly). What you describe above sounds a lot like what I read from before. Thank you! I really appreciate the helpful advice. My situation is somewhat different, in that I experience NO pain whatsoever under normal circumstances, i.e. while walking, running, working out, relaxing, sleeping, etc. I walked 7 miles on Sunday and was fine the whole time, as well as yesterday, no fatigue or soreness whatsoever. The only time it bothers me is if the left foot is twisted onto its side as is the case when sitting cross-legged (we used to call it "Indian style" but that's gone out of fashion). To me it feels much more like a sprain than a fracture. Yes, my heel hurt a little when the doctor was jabbing at it with his finger, but I feel pain anytime anyone jabs his finger into me, injury or no. That's one of the reasons I'm anxious to see what the MRI shows. I'll be honest, it'd be extremely difficult for me to stop moving. I have to go to work, and I work Monday through Friday 8-4:30, and I do a lot of professional singing so I'm driving around to churches and to rehearsals, in addition to my fitness classes. I simply can't stay home, it just isn't possible. However, I would like to try and take care of the foot as best I can, wearing softer shoes as you suggest, maybe putting ice on it when I can. I'm just crossing my fingers that the MRI shows it's not actually a fracture, and that I can train slowly over the next 5 1/2 weeks before I leave for Spain. I agree with your last line, it IS a lesson in humility. I won't be crushed if I can't walk the entire Camino, I'd be okay if I had to skip some parts and walk at a very gentle pace. But I'm going, come what may. I have a strong will! :)

Stephenin, This is just an FYI type of post. I walked the Camino Frances last year June to July SJPDP to Santiago. I had been planning my camino for about a year. A few years ago this would not have been possible due to Psoriatic arthritis that was taking its toll on my body. I have since changed my outlook in life through positive thinking and attitude. I still deal with pain from my condition but not as severe as it used to be. Anyway the point here is that as I was preparing last year for the camino, my rheumatologist sent me to an orthopedic foot specialist for a nagging foot pain that wasnt arthritic. As it turns out I had an old fracture in my right foot that did not heal correctly. This was from not knowing that I had a fracture in the first place. The doctor informed me of the situation and stated that I would not be able to put the kind of stress on the foot that would arise from a 500 mile walk. She stated that it would be impossible to undertake this journey. i thanked her for her advise and left. It made no sense to attempt to explain to the MD that I was doing it regardless of what she advised. I'm 53 years old as well and did not let this slight problem derail my plans. I went on the pilgrimage and it changed my life. Of course the foot pain was there but the camino has a way of making things work out. So much so that I leave in 27 days to start my second camino, taking my daughter and niece on a 44 day adventure. Looking forward to this next journey. I plan to continue walking the camino yearly until my body or spirit cannot make the journey. So I understand where you are coming from when you say your going. Go.
Buen Camino, Rupert

By the way, because of my "bad foot", I searched for the right show that would give me the least amount of problems and I found the Merrell Capra Sport. They are the best for my feet. Im on my 4th pair now. I walked 1000 miles in my prep pair for the camino last year and then took a new pair for the camino. Im now sold on the shoes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, I actually read an earlier thread you posted on this subject (I think it was a post from 2 years ago, if I remember correctly). What you describe above sounds a lot like what I read from before. Thank you! I really appreciate the helpful advice. My situation is somewhat different, in that I experience NO pain whatsoever under normal circumstances, i.e. while walking, running, working out, relaxing, sleeping, etc. I walked 7 miles on Sunday and was fine the whole time, as well as yesterday, no fatigue or soreness whatsoever. The only time it bothers me is if the left foot is twisted onto its side as is the case when sitting cross-legged (we used to call it "Indian style" but that's gone out of fashion). To me it feels much more like a sprain than a fracture. Yes, my heel hurt a little when the doctor was jabbing at it with his finger, but I feel pain anytime anyone jabs his finger into me, injury or no. That's one of the reasons I'm anxious to see what the MRI shows. I'll be honest, it'd be extremely difficult for me to stop moving. I have to go to work, and I work Monday through Friday 8-4:30, and I do a lot of professional singing so I'm driving around to churches and to rehearsals, in addition to my fitness classes. I simply can't stay home, it just isn't possible. However, I would like to try and take care of the foot as best I can, wearing softer shoes as you suggest, maybe putting ice on it when I can. I'm just crossing my fingers that the MRI shows it's not actually a fracture, and that I can train slowly over the next 5 1/2 weeks before I leave for Spain. I agree with your last line, it IS a lesson in humility. I won't be crushed if I can't walk the entire Camino, I'd be okay if I had to skip some parts and walk at a very gentle pace. But I'm going, come what may. I have a strong will! :)
I almost never train for my walks, i normally tend to take it slowly to start with, then build up. I am 62. I don't think taking it easy for 6 weeks will set you back massively as far as fitness goes. It is imperative that bone healing occurs undisturbed. The more pressure and movement you put the fracture area under the more you interfere with the healing process. I just walked the entire Via Gebenennsis on a fractured 2nd metatarsal and lisfrancs joint sprain, which was total agony. I sustained the injury on day 1 when I got lost and ended up walking 26 km after 1 pm in extreme heat, jetlagged and feeling off after a tummy bug. I was wearing orthotics which were too high under the midfoot, then tripped slightly twice. I didn't notice I had injured myself other than a needle sharp pain shooting through my foot a few times.
The next day I met up with my walking friend and we walked 33 km, too much. Broke my usual pattern for the first few days.
I did not listen to my body 2 days in a row and I consider myself an experienced pilgrim haha.
I did not want to accept that I had anything other than a bit of inflammation and the Dr I saw said it wasn't a fracture. So I hobbled on. 2 days of hitchhiking, the rest I walked. I was angry about the injury and angry with the podiatrist and not prepared to give in. On the last day into Le Puy I had to stop every hour because of the pain. Once in Le Puy i could barely get around. Back in NZ the injuries were confirmed and I spent the entire summer wearing stiff hiking boots. I am finally out of boots, but can't wear even slight heels.
Have started walking, but boots needed to feel safe. My foot aches a little and cracks and crunches when I move it and my calf muscle has shrunk.
I am off to walk the Le Puy route in July.
If you decide to walk the Camino in 6 weeks, a stress fracture alone should have healed substantially by then if you rest it now. Get your pack transported and walk with poles. Keep a slow steady pace and don't move suddenly. Keep the heel in a stable position. May be strapping might help?

If it is any consolation and enables you to rest guilt-free, I did no training before walking from SJPDP. I often walk to my nearest town - I don't drive so it is often a necessity - but that is only 3 miles, and you sound to be a very active fit person., so perhaps gain from the experience and wisdom of @C clearly and rest.

Don't panic until you get the MRI. "Maybe's" are just too stressful. Once you get the straight scoop you can make decisions. I'm not sure that I would trust a runner (even if he is a doctor) to be the last word on shoes that you need for a long walk. I think you will be better off doing your own research. Runners have their own bias, just as each of us has our own bias. The trick is to absorb as much of it as you can and then make a decision based upon what you already know about you and your body. Good luck. I hope the MRI is clear.

Thanks, I have to confess I'm a *bit* dubious about the fracture possibility. Only because from what I can tell, people who experience fractures have constant pain, which I don't. My own experience points more toward a sprain that just hasn't healed. I've made an appointment to see a podiatrist later this week to get a second opinion. That and the MRI hopefully will tell the full story.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, due to my schedule the earliest I can get the MRI is Thursday night, i.e. two days from now. The longer it takes, the longer I have to wait until I figure out what to do. It's really a Catch-22, I NEED to train for the Camino but if I have an injury I can't train. Grr...
Do you have access to a swimming pool? Deep water running and walking or a deep water aerobics class can do a lot for maintaining fitness without putting pressure on your injured foot. Granted it's not the same as training while carrying your pack but it's better than nothing.

I did the French way with NO training. And the Primitivo, and in the last 3 weeks, 180 miles of the Via de la Plata. For someone with your great general fitness, these walks should not be hard.

So my opinion: you are overdoing it on all counts. Take a big big rest from now until you start your camino. Stop your boot camp and training walks. Go swimming 3 or 4 times a week and do pilates class.

Consider the small compromise of starting in Roncesvalles instead of SJPP. Nitpick your pack weight right down (under 10kg including water). Learn good poles technique (get a one to one Nordic Walking lesson if necessary).

If your doctor says don't do it, follow that advice, but generally, chill out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't stress about not training - you will still be able to walk the Camino. I think the chances of re-injury/non-healing will increase the more you train. I have heard it said that most people who walk a Camino do not train.

You are putting a lot of stress on your body to get you through the Camino - the mind, heart and soul play just as big parts. Slow down, take the pressure off yourself. It will unfold exactly the way its meant to.

ps - I walked Camino Frances last year with terrible knee pain - i was so afraid of stopping/resting but if i hadn't i wouldnt have gotten to Santiago. What i am meaning is: listen to your body. If you feel good, keep going. If not, slow down, rest. You will get there, wherever 'there' is meant to be for you.

I did the French way with NO training. And the Primitivo, and in the last 3 weeks, 180 miles of the Via de la Plata. For someone with your great general fitness, these walks should not be hard.

So my opinion: you are overdoing it on all counts. Take a big big rest from now until you start your camino. Stop your boot camp and training walks. Go swimming 3 or 4 times a week and do pilates class.

Consider the small compromise of starting in Roncesvalles instead of SJPP. Nitpick your pack weight right down (under 10kg including water). Learn good poles technique (get a one to one Nordic Walking lesson if necessary).

Sound advice. Good pole techniques are a must. I would add.....get you pack transported over the more challenging sections. This will relieve pressures on knees and feet.

Merrell Moabs have a hard wearing but unyielding Vibram sole with no internal cushioning whatsoever . To compound matters the inner soles supplied with them amount to little more than a piece of paper like plastic which acts as the only shock absorbing layer between your foot and the road .
If you want to continue to use them invest in an aftermarket cushioning sole made for sufferers of Neuropathy or Diabetes , these will be very supportive and will turn the Moabs into far more comfortable footwear than when they left the factory .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What sort of distances were you planning on walking on the Camino? How much time are you planning to give it?

What comes across in your original post is a kind of panic or desperation that if you don't do all this intensive training, then you won't be able to do the Camino. That's simply not true. It may alter the details of how you do it, though. You are already fitter than many people who walk the Camino, and you can see from the comments that the amount of training people do is usually less than their original intention. Mine certainly is, I'm 54.

What's most important is that you can turn up with feet sufficiently healthy to start and be able to continue. If you don't rest them now, you risk not being able to do it at all. while you are on the Camino, you can pace yourself to not push the distances too much at the start, and see how you body responds. As you get used to it, you can increase the distance. The first day from St. Jean to Roncesvalles is a tough starting day, so depending on your diagnosis, either start in Pamplona, or book a bed in Orisson for the first night.

Wife and I had Merrell Moab hiking shoes on the Camino last year ... I wore mine one day,stepped on a sharp rock and almost ended my Camino with what I thought was a fractured bone in my foot. My wife,wearing hers actually broke a bone in her foot, as confirmed by x-rays when we returned home by our orthopedic surgeon. I wore mine only one day to take a break from my Asolo boots, needless to say after my incident I put my Asolo's back on for the remainder of the Camino. My wife had Merrill boots, which my daughter gave her, her Asolo boots to wear after her(wifes) incident so she could finish the Camino. Mind you, my wife's injury happened not long after we left Roncevalles. She walked hundreds of kilometers in a lot of pain, one very tough lady. This year we are coming back once again to do the Frances in August, with our Asolo boots on our feet. I wrote Merrell a very lengthy letter when we returned home, detailing the events of the journey never to have received a response from them. The Moabs are not a hiking boot/shoe, they are boot/shoe to wear in your yard or gardening. To soft in many ways. Take it or leave it, my advice is to buy a sturdy pair of hiking boots and save the Moabs for walking around the villages or towns. Buen Camino and I hope you heal quickly !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My pain wasn't great. It only became significant after several km of walking, and it was never a sharp pain. I expect also that there are degrees of stress fracture.
Thank you, I was sort of assuming that from your earlier comment about not being able to walk more than 8 km without pain. I don't have any pain after walking, regardless of the distance. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, I was sort of assuming that from your earlier comment about not being able to walk more than 8 km without pain. I don't have any pain after walking, regardless of the distance. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear..
Stephen, if you are so inclined, please leave a word about how tomorrow's MRI comes out and how your visit to the REI there in D.C. went (I live in a rural mountain area now and the kids at the outfitter here just shrug their shoulders and pop their bubble gum if asked a question:0)). I'm just curious about the results given your circumstances. You're probably at work, but hope you're at peace and feeling some optimism about the prospects of getting your Camino under way.

Do you have access to a swimming pool? Deep water running and walking or a deep water aerobics class can do a lot for maintaining fitness without putting pressure on your injured foot. Granted it's not the same as training while carrying your pack but it's better than nothing.

No, unfortunately I don’t have access to a swimming pool, at least not reliably. There’s one located in our condo community, but it won’t open until Memorial Day and it’s usually closed by the time I get home. Since I work on Sundays I can usually only get there on a Saturday, and last summer it rained so much even Saturdays were difficult (they close the pool at the first sign of inclement weather).

Thank you, I do have some poles that I really like (from Black Diamond, recommended to me by a friend and former Camino peregrine who walked it 2 years ago). As mentioned above, I can’t swim due to the lack of a pool. I’ve somehow put on about 10 lbs and a few inches on my waist recently, so I can’t stop working out, my clothes are already too tight! Fortunately, the boot camps I go to can be customized if an individual is having some issue. I could concentrate on weight training and I can also use the elliptical trainer here at work at our gym, because that doesn’t put pressure on my knees or feet. I’ve already booked my buses and my place to stay in St Jean so I don’t want to start changing things now.

Sound advice. Good pole techniques are a must. I would add.....get you pack transported over the more challenging sections. This will relieve pressures on knees and feet.

Thanks, yes I am using the poles now.

Merrell Moabs have a hard wearing but unyielding Vibram sole with no internal cushioning whatsoever . To compound matters the inner soles supplied with them amount to little more than a piece of paper like plastic which acts as the only shock absorbing layer between your foot and the road .

If you want to continue to use them invest in an aftermarket cushioning sole made for sufferers of Neuropathy or Diabetes , these will be very supportive and will turn the Moabs into far more comfortable footwear than when they left the factory .

Good point. I didn’t mention it earlier, but I replaced the included insoles with good ones from a local shop that specializes in products for walking and hiking, and I love them. You’re right, the ones that came with the Moabs weren’t good but the (expensive but worth it) new insoles are great.

What sort of distances were you planning on walking on the Camino? How much time are you planning to give it?

What comes across in your original post is a kind of panic or desperation that if you don't do all this intensive training, then you won't be able to do the Camino. That's simply not true. It may alter the details of how you do it, though. You are already fitter than many people who walk the Camino, and you can see from the comments that the amount of training people do is usually less than their original intention. Mine certainly is, I'm 54.

What's most important is that you can turn up with feet sufficiently healthy to start and be able to continue. If you don't rest them now, you risk not being able to do it at all. while you are on the Camino, you can pace yourself to not push the distances too much at the start, and see how you body responds. As you get used to it, you can increase the distance. The first day from St. Jean to Roncesvalles is a tough starting day, so depending on your diagnosis, either start in Pamplona, or book a bed in Orisson for the first night.

I apologize if my initial post sounded panicky, it wasn’t meant to be that bad. It’s just that with a little more than a month to go before I leave, I’m suddenly worrying about the state of my feet. Also, and I guess this is just the nature of the beast, but some people with experience on the Camino say “make sure you train well in advance,” others say “don’t train at all.” Um, what? I really have my heart set on starting at St Jean, and I already paid for a night’s stay there, in addition to my bus ticket from Pamplona to St Jean (admittedly, it’s refundable, but I guess what I’m saying is I have been looking forward to this trip since December and I don’t deal with last-minute changes very well, sorry that’s just me.) I have 28 days to walk the Camino, BUT (and this is important) I’m not dead-set on walking every step of it. If I run out of time or get fatigued, I’m not above skipping some parts of it. My only musts are leaving from St Jean and arriving in Santiago. Everything else is negotiable.

Stephen, if you are so inclined, please leave a word about how tomorrow's MRI comes out and how your visit to the REI there in D.C. went (I live in a rural mountain area now and the kids at the outfitter here just shrug their shoulders and pop their bubble gum if asked a question:0)). I'm just curious about the results given your circumstances. You're probably at work, but hope you're at peace and feeling some optimism about the prospects of getting your Camino under way.

Hi, there. I didn't end up going to REI last night, after all. I have a standing commitment on Tuesdays at 7 and didn't get home until close to 6, so there wasn't time to go there. Also, I'm holding off on the trail runners until I see a podiatrist tomorrow. I want a second opinion about the stress fracture, because I'm not completely sure that's what's wrong. I managed to ice my foot last night for about 20 minutes and again this morning for 15 as well as taking Ibuprofen, and my foot feels a bit better. I'm not convinced it's a bone issue, actually, it seems more like a sprain (although I couldn't tell you how long ago it might've happened, I simply don't remember). I'll be glad to report back after the MRI, absolutely. What I did do last night was order some new cross training shoes because I know my old ones are shot.

Indeed , good advice! I suffered form stress fractures in both feet. I could not believe it as I am not a marathon runner. I have walked the Camino Frances in several stages. It seems to me that it is the accumulated stress over the years that provoked this painful experience. It took me several months to recover. My doctor could only give the advice to rest my feet.

You've received so many replies I don't really have anything new. I walked my first Camino in 2014 due to life circumstances with very little training. I was 60, with experience in hiking, etc. but not in terrific shape. I did fine, the only issue being not having anticipated need for the best support for my aging feet. So I agree that it's possible you'll be ok without lots of new conditioning. Maybe overtired, but ok. Shoes are personal, but for me it's the newest model of hoka boots with superfeet insoles. And I still get footsore and have a few blisters. Not the end of the world. Good luck!

I've had a mild pain sometimes in my left foot when I sit cross-legged
I managed to ice my foot last night for about 20 minutes and again this morning for 15 as well as taking Ibuprofen, and my foot feels a bit better.
Why are you icing and taking Ibuprofen when your foot is not swollen and you don't have pain except when you sit cross-legged? Just stop sitting cross-legged! :D

It sounds to me that you have yourself on quite the high-speed treadmill. What are you trying to accomplish by going on the Camino? You say you have your heart set on starting in SJPP, but have only 28 days to get to Santiago, so maybe the physical challenge is a big objective. However, if calm thinking time and conversations with pilgrims are important, then you are not setting things up for success.

Please excuse me if I am being a little blunt. :)

Why are you icing and taking Ibuprofen when your foot is not swollen and you don't have pain except when you sit cross-legged? Just stop sitting cross-legged! :D

Haha, good point, problem solved, no more cross-legged sitting! :p
No, it's more that it's only my left foot that hurts when I do that, so I know something's up. I'm icing and taking Ibuprofen because it seems to feel better after that.

It sounds to me that you have yourself on quite the high-speed treadmill. What are you trying to accomplish by going on the Camino? You say you have your heart set on starting in SJPP, but have only 28 days to get to Santiago, so maybe the physical challenge is a big objective. However, if calm thinking time and conversations with pilgrims are important, then you are not setting things up for success.

Please excuse me if I am being a little blunt. :)
Be blunt, I like that! :) I decided about 6 months ago to do the Camino Frances, and for me that means starting in StJPdP. I don't know if you saw my earlier comment, but I'm not absolutely wedded to the idea of seeing every little town or following the Brierley guide to the letter. I'm okay with starting in St Jean and ending up in Santiago, whatever that entails. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm on the Camino, who knows? I'm very outgoing and a polyglot, and I love being in Europe. I would have had my wife join me but she doesn't have enough vacation accumulated. READ: none. I know that I'm physically very, very fit, and I say that not to brag, but just because I do stay active. However, many pilgrims have said there's a BIG difference between going to the gym and walking 6 hours a day, 7 days a week for a whole month. Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I've gotta test myself, right? ;)

Indeed , good advice! I suffered form stress fractures in both feet. I could not believe it as I am not a marathon runner. I have walked the Camino Frances in several stages. It seems to me that it is the accumulated stress over the years that provoked this painful experience. It took me several months to recover. My doctor could only give the advice to rest my feet.
Here's where I remember to go take the day's D3 and drink some of milk. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
some people with experience on the Camino say “make sure you train well in advance,” others say “don’t train at all.”
I don't think anyone would say don't train at all, we are just confessing that we didn't, and in fact, were still able to manage. Just trying to create a context that's all: it's not an Ironman challenge, unless you decide to make it that, by putting undue time pressure on yourself.

But you can definitely over-train for it, and start off half worn out, and that is what we are warning about. Being 10lb overweight at the start is nothing to worry about, that weight will drop off very fast.
Meantime, if you can't get to swim (the pool closes for rain o_O ?) then stay off your feet and do some weights. Elliptical is still weight bearing. And CHILL OUT. Look I wrote it in capitals so you have to take notice.

I don't think anyone would say don't train at all, we are just confessing that we didn't, and in fact, were still able to manage. Just trying to create a context that's all: it's not an Ironman challenge, unless you decide to make it that, by putting undue time pressure on yourself.

But you can definitely over-train for it, and start off half worn out, and that is what we are warning about. Being 10lb overweight at the start is nothing to worry about, that weight will drop off very fast.
Meantime, if you can't get to swim (the pool closes for rain o_O ?) then stay off your feet and do some weights. Elliptical is still weight bearing. And CHILL OUT. Look I wrote it in capitals so you have to take notice.

Thank you, I am wondering if I AM overtraining, after all. It occurs to me that I'm so active to begin with, that adding these extra "training hikes" was just too much. But I read time and again how important it was to take long walks in order to get used to the Camino, and my quotidian walking is a lot of steps, but broken up over the course of a day, hence my concern was that I needed to do some longer walks in order to prepare. I mentioned the elliptical because the orthopedist suggested that as an alternative to running and walking, but if it has as much as impact as those, then I guess I won't bother. And yeah, the pool DOES close for rain. Where I live, the lawyers make all the rules, they're terrified of a lawsuit if someone gets struck by lightning while in the pool, so at the first sound of thunder or sight of lightning, they close the pool for a minimum of 1/2 an hour. It's ridiculous, but where I live, we're regulated to death. :confused:
NOTICE TAKEN, CHILLING OUT! I will do some more searching here on the forum, but I'm also interested in people's opinions on trail runners vs hiking shoes. Remember that I'll be there in mid-June to mid-July, which is why I don't want hiking boots, my feet will sweat to death. :eek:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you get MRI and how long do you have to wait for results?
Thank you, yes I did have an MRI done last night, and they gave me a CD with the results. Yay! Today I tried to view it on my computer and my computer locked up. Boo! So I'll have to take it to my doctor(s) and have them analyze the results. I did have an appointment with a podiatrist yesterday and she is inclined to believe it's more likely tendonitis rather than a stress fracture. She made me a little ankle support which will help stabilize my foot throughout the day, and she recommended icing the foot and taking ibuprofen for the next 7-10 days. She also told me I have high arches, which is news to me since I'm 53 years old and I have never known that, if you can believe it. Last night I went to the Metro Walk and Run store near me (my wife swears by that place since she has plantar fasciitis and other foot troubles), and they fitted me with some unbelievably comfortable Altra Lone Peak 3.0 trail runners. They are super comfortable, almost like not wearing shoes at all. I might end up walking in those rather than my hiking shoes.

I am sorry you are facing that challenge. I am not a doctor nor pretend to be one but am a former Marine and I had same situation on my right foot. I kept my activities, humping 25 miles with full pack; I was given a foot brace (nowdays, they have better ones with copper) and I was able to keep my march and running. I did El Camino Frances last year June to July and walked with a stress fracture. I had a 30lb. pack and pace myself on walking. I used a foot brace and at the end I rubbed my foot with magnesium paste; it worked for me. Also, I took 600 mg ibuprofen to keep swelling down and pain. As I said, am not a doctor but if careful it can be done.

Buen Camino

Altra shoes are getting a very good rep on the Caminos. I had not heard of them until this spring when a few people I met in albergues rabed about them. I look forward to trying them to compare to my Hokas.

Glad you went to the podiatrist. I used to suffer on my first Caminos, not understanding how others could walk so much when I was in so much pain: it took a podiatrist for me to learn I have flat feet. So now I always rwcommend a visit to a podiatrist a few months before a first Camino. And every couple of years after that as well, because feet change and orthotics weardown.

Altra shoes are getting a very good rep on the Caminos. I had not heard of them until this spring when a few people I met in albergues rabed about them. I look forward to trying them to compare to my Hokas.

Glad you went to the podiatrist. I used to suffer on my first Caminos, not understanding how others could walk so much when I was in so much pain: it took a podiatrist for me to learn I have flat feet. So now I always rwcommend a visit to a podiatrist a few months before a first Camino. And every couple of years after that as well, because feet change and orthotics weardown.

Yes, I mentioned the Camino to her and whether I'd be okay to walk the Camino, she said "let pain be your guide," so in other words, I can still do it, but should be careful not to overdo it. Seems like good advice. I liked her, she seemed very upbeat and put me at ease. PS The Altra's were so comfortable, I couldn't believe it. I also tried on some Brooks Cascadias, and they weren't bad, but when I switched from them to the Altra's, it was clear which fit my foot better. Clearly, finding a shoe that feels natural makes all the difference in the world. I tend to research things a lot on the internet, but shoe fitting is very much a "try it on your foot" type of proposition.

I walked the CP Central Route from Porto to SdC then out to Muxia & Finisterre in April wearing Altra Lone Peak 3.0 trail runners. After a week off I decided that wasn't enough so I have jumped onto the CF in León heading West. The Altra shoes have worked very well for me. I replaced the inners with Scholl gel inserts, and use elastic laces. Combined with Injinji hiking toe socks this is the most comfortable footwear I have found so far. My only concern is that the tread on the shoes might not last to SdC this time, but so far so good. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the CP Central Route from Porto to SdC then out to Muxia & Finisterre in April wearing Altra Lone Peak 3.0 trail runners. After a week off I decided that wasn't enough so I have jumped onto the CF in León heading West. The Altra shoes have worked very well for me. I replaced the inners with Scholl gel inserts, and use elastic laces. Combined with Injinji hiking toe socks this is the most comfortable footwear I have found so far. My only concern is that the tread on the shoes might not last to SdC this time, but so far so good. Buen Camino.

Thank you for that assessment of the shoe. I currently have Merrell Moabs which I really love, they're comfortable and supportive, with a grippy Vibram sole. I replaced the insoles that came with the shoe, with Superfeet Blue ones. The Altra's feel like I'm wearing a slipper, I can't believe how well they conform to my foot, and they're so light! Since you have experience on the Camino with the Altra Lone Peaks, can you comment on their performance over rough surfaces like cobblestones, rocks, and the like? The woman who helped me at the store said they could go 300-500 miles, but this is based on running, and from what I can gather, durability is higher when using the shoes for walking instead of running. Also, do they breathe well? I'll be there from mid-June to mid-July, so I'm counting on high temps. What are your thoughts? BTW I also use Injinji toe socks and love them to death.

@StepheninDC Tendinitis isn't the best news but it's better than a fracture. You have time to rest and heal before starting your Camino and at your level of fitness, you need not worry. I hope you will listen to your body along the way and let it call the shots. Buen Camino.

Hola from Villadangos, StepheninDC.
I put about 250km into my Altra's before starting the CP. Not that they needed any wearing in, I just wanted to be sure the "zero drop" design would be OK for my feet. So add another 320km for the CP+ and probably another 100km for the walking since and that puts this pair at about 670km (420 miles). I'm hoping they will get me to SdC again. The predominance of hard surfaces, i.e. cobblestones and asphalt on the CP was pretty tough on the soles. Despite the comparative lack of stone protection I did not experience any problems with foot soreness.
You're right about the slipper like nature of the Altra's, and with the elastic laces they become even more so. They are so light you hardly know you are wearing them. They breathe very well also. I had temp's close to 30°C early on in the CP and had no problems with the heat. I think the gel inserts help dissipate heat as I was getting some hot spots before switching to them.
My first Camino with Injinji toe socks and I'm a convert! I wore Merrell Moabs on my first Camino and liked them, but now that I have found Altra's I think I'll be sticking with them.
I hope I have covered all your queries. Buen Camino.

@StepheninDC Tendinitis isn't the best news but it's better than a fracture. You have time to rest and heal before starting your Camino and at your level of fitness, you need not worry. I hope you will listen to your body along the way and let it call the shots. Buen Camino.

Thanks, I will. BTW your profile says you're from Murray, KY. That's my home state! I did a study abroad program in 1985 in Austria that was organized by a professor from Murray State University.

Hola from Villadangos, StepheninDC.
I put about 250km into my Altra's before starting the CP. Not that they needed any wearing in, I just wanted to be sure the "zero drop" design would be OK for my feet. So add another 320km for the CP+ and probably another 100km for the walking since and that puts this pair at about 670km (420 miles). I'm hoping they will get me to SdC again. The predominance of hard surfaces, i.e. cobblestones and asphalt on the CP was pretty tough on the soles. Despite the comparative lack of stone protection I did not experience any problems with foot soreness.
You're right about the slipper like nature of the Altra's, and with the elastic laces they become even more so. They are so light you hardly know you are wearing them. They breathe very well also. I had temp's close to 30°C early on in the CP and had no problems with the heat. I think the gel inserts help dissipate heat as I was getting some hot spots before switching to them.
My first Camino with Injinji toe socks and I'm a convert! I wore Merrell Moabs on my first Camino and liked them, but now that I have found Altra's I think I'll be sticking with them.
I hope I have covered all your queries. Buen Camino.

Thanks, @JMac56, I really do appreciate your detailed comments, especially given the similarity in our itineraries AND the fact that you've worn the same Merrells as I have. :) Altra seems to recommend people gradually transitioning from their current shoes to the zero drop ones, which I will certainly be doing ASAP. I will also check into the elastic laces. I own some Dr Scholl gel inserts but was trying to use them with dress shoes and they made my feet too tight so I removed them (but didn't throw them away). Perhaps I'll give them another go. I am so glad I found this forum because dialoguing with other peregrinos has been enormously helpful, as well as getting me more excited about doing my 1st Camino. Buen camino!

Happy to be of some assistance StepheninDC. I should probably clarify that I removed the Altra inserts and replaced them with the Dr Scholl's. I use the "Work" type, or you could try the "Sport" type if you want some arch support and a bit more stone protection. Must admit I was pleasantly surprised that the zero drop shoes worked fine for me, but I'm sure they are not for everyone. I hope your first Camino is a wonderful experience. I don't want to start a debate, but I would highly recommend you take a good quality set of walking poles on the CF. Used properly they can be of great benefit.
Buen Camino.

So I'll have to take it to my doctor(s) and have them analyze the results.
Isn't that the normal routine? :rolleyes:

I am still confused as I understood that you only had pain (it is in your heel somewhere) when you sit cross-legged, and you don't have pain associated with walking. The podiatrist said to let pain be your guide (very good advice) but what pain are you treating with ice and ibuprofen?

Be careful with all the new shoes and inner soles you are trying just 5 weeks before you go.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Happy to be of some assistance StepheninDC. I should probably clarify that I removed the Altra inserts and replaced them with the Dr Scholl's. I use the "Work" type, or you could try the "Sport" type if you want some arch support and a bit more stone protection. Must admit I was pleasantly surprised that the zero drop shoes worked fine for me, but I'm sure they are not for everyone. I hope your first Camino is a wonderful experience. I don't want to start a debate, but I would highly recommend you take a good quality set of walking poles on the CF. Used properly they can be of great benefit.
Buen Camino.

Thanks, I do have trekking poles that I love and have been using recently. They're made by Black Diamond and were recommended by a monastic friend of mine (and former pilgrim).

Isn't that the normal routine? :rolleyes:

I am still confused as I understood that you only had pain (it is in your heel somewhere) when you sit cross-legged, and you don't have pain associated with walking. The podiatrist said to let pain be your guide (very good advice) but what pain are you treating with ice and ibuprofen?

Be careful with all the new shoes and inner soles you are trying just 5 weeks before you go.

Hi, thanks, @C clearly. The reason I was having pain while sitting that way has to do with whatever is going on underneath, which could be an overstretched tendon, but I won't be sure until the doctor reviews my MRI. Yes, it is the normal routine, I was just hoping to have a look at it myself. My wife is very knowledgeable about MRIs and I was hoping to view them myself, because getting an appointment with my doctor (given my schedule and the need to request time off from work to go) will probably take at LEAST a week. When the podiatrist looked at me yesterday, she compared both feet and said she could feel some swelling on the left foot that was absent on the right, therefore she thinks this is possibly an injury/strain to the tendon, NOT a fracture, hence the advice to ice and take meds.

Last edited:

I'm 67 and last year I walked the Camino Frances and I did no training at all. I am not super fit, I'm not a habitual walker, have limited lung capacity, and a bad knee for which I wear a compression sock to make sure it doesn't POP!

The ONLY time I had a problem was walking DOWN into Roncesvalles on the Napoleon. Messed up the muscles on the front of the top of my legs and my calf muscles - took 2 days to heal. Never had an issue after that.

Forget your prep and make sure you give your heel time to heal. You will get fit on the trail I guarantee you and unless you demand 30 mile days of yourself you'll be fine.

I walked the Camino (and on to Finisterre/Muxia) blister and pain free in my Altra Lone Peaks. They did not need breaking in, though I did wear them ahead of time.

A pedorthist at a local running shop fitted me with an insert to use in place of the stock ones. All in all, it was like walking on clouds. I was very happy.

A friend of mine also got a pair of Altra Lone Peaks, she had not had zero-rise shoes before. She experienced some discomfort and was advised to break them in gradually -- one day for 15 minutes, the next day 20, etc.

She now prefers these shoes.

Buen Camino, sounds like your issues are being sorted.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I think this applies to just about all walking shoes except maybe Teva boots.

Stephen, I want to echo the others here saying you are stressing too much about your fitness level. I walked from SJPP to Santiago last year, with a detour through Galicia on the challenging Camino Invierno (a lot of ups and downs, and far distances between towns.) I was 64, and my training at home was 3 to 5 mile daily walks wearing my 16 lb. pack.

On the Camino I had no blisters, injuries or even much in the way of aches and pains--in fact, I felt better than I do now, after a sedentary winter. The key to staying healthy was starting SLOW and with SHORT DISTANCES: for me, 8-10 miles a day the first week, gradually increasing to 12-17 miles a day my second month walking.

The other key was foot care. I wore New Balance running shoes, liner socks and wool socks. I rubbed vaseline on my feet morning and night, and took off my shoes and socks and aired my feet out a couple times a day. I washed my sock liners out every night, and stopped immediately to see what the problem was, including sitting down on a park bench to cut my toenails, if I felt even the slightest foot twinge.

I'd say pick your shoes for maximum comfort, don't worry too much about support on "rocky and cobblestone" trails. Much of the Camino is paved or gravel, it's not U.S. style wilderness trail walking.
The running shoes let me feet breathe, and dried out quickly when they got wet.

Also essential were my poles (Pacer poles, excellent), which I learned to use to leverage myself up hills, and support myself on the way down.

Many of the people who get hurt on the Camino are young and fit. They push too hard, keeping up with others or competing against an imaginary deadline. You can miss a lot that way, I think.

So rest that foot up now, and then go and have your walk on the Camino that means so much to you. If you can only get halfway, come back the next year, and do the rest!

The doctor said it can come from suddenly ramping up walking (which is of course what I need to do to train for the Camino), and he suggested switching from hiking shoes (My Merrell Moabs, which I love) to a trail running shoe. I guess it helps that my doctor is himself a marathon runner and understands this stuff from something other than just a medical background. Even so, I'm really upset right now. I am going to Spain next month no matter what, but I'm a little depressed at the prospect of having to shorten my walking dramatically and/or stay off my feet for the next 5 1/2 weeks. Can anyone offer advice? (please don't say "go later" or "call it off", but that's not happening). Maybe it's not a big deal, but I'm worried. BTW I'm guessing it's my fault because while I work out a lot,[/QUO

For what it's worth, and until your MRI, an old folk remedy is to use a vibrating old fashioned tuning fork on the site area. Apparently, it hurts like heck if the bone is fractured. Might be worth googling.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My heart goes out to you. Listen to your doctor. Heal and get better, but more importantly learn and teach others about what happened.

A number of years ago, I really got into running half marathons and other shorter long distance races (10miles and 15Km's) What I learned in training the hard way was that too much training will produce over-use injuries. Your body needs rest days for recovery and to maintain health.

In a master runner book, it told me that most half-marathon training schedules were for young 25 year olds and not people 60 or older. It flat out told me that I needed more rest days as I got older, because it took longer for my body to recover from heavy exercise. I didn't make as much Human Growth Hormone as when I was younger and other important hormones were also in lesser supply.

Stress fractures among people training for endurance events like Iron-mans and marathons is not uncommon. I think that everyone who decides to do the Camino, should understand what training for an endurance event really means, because the Camino can be an endurance event! I trained for it, it kicked my butt, but I had enough experience to listen to my body so I didn't injure myself. Having done endurance training, I left about 1/3 of my planned Camino days as reserved for rest, tourism, recover, bad weather, or reflection.

Good luck to you.

What surfaces were you walking on in your Moabs? I've used them exclusively for hiking for a number of years putting upteen 100's (1000's?) of trail miles on them but they invariably give me tendinitis (anterior tibularis in my case) when I wear them on pavement. The soles just don't bend enough for my foot. Perhaps this the the same reason your doctor recommended the Hokas? I've converted to using Altra Olympus trail shoes for Camino training which have a super amount of cushioning and a Vibram sole (hopefully will make them last longer than the Lone Peaks, which also just didn't fit my foot shape).

I walked the Camino (and on to Finisterre/Muxia) blister and pain free in my Altra Lone Peaks. They did not need breaking in, though I did wear them ahead of time.

A pedorthist at a local running shop fitted me with an insert to use in place of the stock ones. All in all, it was like walking on clouds. I was very happy.

A friend of mine also got a pair of Altra Lone Peaks, she had not had zero-rise shoes before. She experienced some discomfort and was advised to break them in gradually -- one day for 15 minutes, the next day 20, etc.

She now prefers these shoes.

Buen Camino, sounds like your issues are being sorted.

Thank you very much, that is super helpful. I LOVE the Altras, I can't even describe how comfortable they feel, it's like they were molded to my feet. The woman at the (great) shop where I bought them advised the same, i.e. break them in gradually due to their being zero-rise shoes. She told me that based not only on the design of the shoe, but my particular arch issues. The one thing I haven't decided is whether to purchase different insoles or stick with the ones the shoes came with.

What surfaces were you walking on in your Moabs? I've used them exclusively for hiking for a number of years putting upteen 100's (1000's?) of trail miles on them but they invariably give me tendinitis (anterior tibularis in my case) when I wear them on pavement. The soles just don't bend enough for my foot. Perhaps this the the same reason your doctor recommended the Hokas? I've converted to using Altra Olympus trail shoes for Camino training which have a super amount of cushioning and a Vibram sole (hopefully will make them last longer than the Lone Peaks, which also just didn't fit my foot shape).

I have been walking on paved roads and sidewalks, which is what I have at my disposal based on my schedule and environment. I really do like the Moabs, they fit comfortably and support nicely. Having said that, I have to admit they don't have much "give," certainly nowhere near the amount of the trail runners I just bought. As I'm a newbie to the Camino, I took the advice of a lot of peregrinos and made sure I got shoes that were supportive, because time and again, I was told that I couldn't just walk the Camino in my plain old tennis shoes and that there are rocky and unsteady portions along the way. In fact, a lot of people recommended not just hiking shoes, but BOOTS. That's why I found it perplexing when people started talking about wearing sandals or running shoes. I guess maybe the need is different based on the individual. Anyway, I picked the Moabs because of the comfort and support, as well as the stickiness of the sole. But now I think I'll be wearing the Altras instead.

€83,-
Stephen, I want to echo the others here saying you are stressing too much about your fitness level. I walked from SJPP to Santiago last year, with a detour through Galicia on the challenging Camino Invierno (a lot of ups and downs, and far distances between towns.) I was 64, and my training at home was 3 to 5 mile daily walks wearing my 16 lb. pack.

On the Camino I had no blisters, injuries or even much in the way of aches and pains--in fact, I felt better than I do now, after a sedentary winter. The key to staying healthy was starting SLOW and with SHORT DISTANCES: for me, 8-10 miles a day the first week, gradually increasing to 12-17 miles a day my second month walking.

The other key was foot care. I wore New Balance running shoes, liner socks and wool socks. I rubbed vaseline on my feet morning and night, and took off my shoes and socks and aired my feet out a couple times a day. I washed my sock liners out every night, and stopped immediately to see what the problem was, including sitting down on a park bench to cut my toenails, if I felt even the slightest foot twinge.

I'd say pick your shoes for maximum comfort, don't worry too much about support on "rocky and cobblestone" trails. Much of the Camino is paved or gravel, it's not U.S. style wilderness trail walking.
The running shoes let me feet breathe, and dried out quickly when they got wet.

Also essential were my poles (Pacer poles, excellent), which I learned to use to leverage myself up hills, and support myself on the way down.

Many of the people who get hurt on the Camino are young and fit. They push too hard, keeping up with others or competing against an imaginary deadline. You can miss a lot that way, I think.

So rest that foot up now, and then go and have your walk on the Camino that means so much to you. If you can only get halfway, come back the next year, and do the rest!

Thank you, this sentence is probably the most helpful one I've seen in a long time: "I'd say pick your shoes for maximum comfort, don't worry too much about support on "rocky and cobblestone" trails."

As I mentioned in another post, I got the impression from here (and I love this forum, BTW) that support was more important than comfort, which made sense based on the inclines and the mountains (admittedly, I'm talking about the first day here going from SJPP to Roncesvalles). It's reassuring to know that the bulk of the CF won't involve rocky terrain. Just as an example, several folks suggested going to a sporting goods store like REI that has a fake stone portion to walk on in order to see how well shoes perform going up and down rocky surfaces. That's why I liked the Moabs I ended up buying.
Your comment seems to contradict that a bit, so now I think comfort is #1. I'm confident that the trail runners will do fine.

My heart goes out to you. Listen to your doctor. Heal and get better, but more importantly learn and teach others about what happened.

A number of years ago, I really got into running half marathons and other shorter long distance races (10miles and 15Km's) What I learned in training the hard way was that too much training will produce over-use injuries. Your body needs rest days for recovery and to maintain health.

In a master runner book, it told me that most half-marathon training schedules were for young 25 year olds and not people 60 or older. It flat out told me that I needed more rest days as I got older, because it took longer for my body to recover from heavy exercise. I didn't make as much Human Growth Hormone as when I was younger and other important hormones were also in lesser supply.

Stress fractures among people training for endurance events like Iron-mans and marathons is not uncommon. I think that everyone who decides to do the Camino, should understand what training for an endurance event really means, because the Camino can be an endurance event! I trained for it, it kicked my butt, but I had enough experience to listen to my body so I didn't injure myself. Having done endurance training, I left about 1/3 of my planned Camino days as reserved for rest, tourism, recover, bad weather, or reflection.

Good luck to you.

Thank you, I was talking with a friend yesterday at the Cathedral where I sing and he knows how hard I work out, having been to the same gym as I. He said he knew people who'd walked the Camino and found it difficult but opined "you're in much better shape than they were." :) Thus, I think my focus will be on allowing my foot to heal and not stress about training. And frankly, not stressing about things in life seems to be a major thrust of what one learns on the Camino, anyway, right? :D

If you have built up to 25km on one of your weekend days, see how well you cope with doing this on two successive days then two successive weekends. If you pull up okay after that you won't have too much trouble on the Camino.

I certainly wouldn't intensify your weekday pattern.

I'm posting here a quote from a veteran Camino-er that was posted on another thread regarding training. I am a big fan of this poster and I value his input. Here he specifically recommends building up to a 25km walk on the weekend, and this was to someone who already walks a lot every day. This is the type of training I was describing earlier, the kind I think one should consider doing before actually walking the Camino. It is exactly this kind of long walk that I'm concerned I won't be able to do now due to my left foot hurting. I'm having difficulty reconciling the "don't train at all" camp from the "walk 25km on the weekend" camp. :confused:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm having difficulty reconciling the "don't train at all" camp from the "walk 25km on the weekend" camp
Not so hard. If possible, it is good to build up to those distances, so we would probably all agree this is ideal. (Although most people don't do it.) However, and I expect @dougfitz would agree, if you are injured, the situation is very different. That is the only time we would recommend that you stop training.

Not so hard. If possible, it is good to build up to those distances, so we would probably all agree this is ideal. (Although most people don't do it.) However, and I expect @dougfitz would agree, if you are injured, the situation is very different. That is the only time we would recommend that you stop training.

Thanks, that makes sense... :)

Don't forget that if you want to emulate Camino conditions that 25km walk should have several breaks in it. I just walked on my local bike path/greenway, and walked about 8km, stopped at Starbucks, walked another 8km, stopped for lunch, then finished up the rest of the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I just came back from my podiatrist's office, and after viewing my MRI, she confirmed that I had peroneal tendinitis, which is a lot better (I think, anyway) than a stress fracture. In addition to the standard RICE protocol, she recommended an orthotic for my shoe and physical therapy. I'll probably start the PT next week, even though I'll only be able to get in 4 weeks' worth of sessions before I leave for Spain. I'm relieved, actually. I think it could have been much worse. I've never had tendinitis before, but it seems I just have to let it heal over time. There's a slight chance she might have to do something more invasive if the foot starts bothering me constantly, which would involve moving a tendon over, but I'm not letting that worry me. The main thing is, I can go back to running and jumping exercises at the gym, but no laterals. And I won't be doing any long Camino-type training walks, because I want to avoid hurting the foot. :)

Glad you're sorta okay to do your Camino. God speed. Buen Camino.

Good to hear! And I'm going to give one more opinion, and then shut up. Maybe it makes sense to do some moderate distance (say, 4-8 mile) and moderately paced (stop and sit every few miles for a few minutes) walks with hiking poles (to keep some of the pressure off your feet) rather than doing the running and jumping. Seems like that more extreme activity, which you don't need to do to prepare for your Camino, is going to be harder and riskier for your injured foot.
QUOTE="StepheninDC, post: 516739, member: 64555"]Well, I just came back from my podiatrist's office, and after viewing my MRI, she confirmed that I had peroneal tendinitis, which is a lot better (I think, anyway) than a stress fracture. In addition to the standard RICE protocol, she recommended an orthotic for my shoe and physical therapy. I'll probably start the PT next week, even though I'll only be able to get in 4 weeks' worth of sessions before I leave for Spain. I'm relieved, actually. I think it could have been much worse. I've never had tendinitis before, but it seems I just have to let it heal over time. There's a slight chance she might have to do something more invasive if the foot starts bothering me constantly, which would involve moving a tendon over, but I'm not letting that worry me. The main thing is, I can go back to running and jumping exercises at the gym, but no laterals. And I won't be doing any long Camino-type training walks, because I want to avoid hurting the foot. :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.