• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Well Told Tales from A SdeC Pilgrim Center Volunteer

Ekelund

Camino(s) past & future
“It’s your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” Rumi
Thank you for the link to t2andreo's book :) I didn't know that he has written a book. Maybe that's why he has not been on the Forum, I have missed his posts.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola @rappahannock_rev
Thanks for the advice about Tom's book. I often enjoyed his posts - especially his stories about volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Unfortunately due to a number of reasons (most I am not aware of) Tom is no longer on the forum. Had Covid19 not stuffed the world I would have spent the first 2 weeks of Oct volunteering in the Office. When I will get another opportunity heaven only knows. Cheers for now.

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Just downloaded it. Thanks for the heads-up.

AZgirl

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
Madrid/frances Sept/Oct 2017
Next : mozarabe 2021
I'm definitely going to order the paperback thanks for sharing!

Dave

Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Having had the pleasure of speaking with Tom for the podcast, it's clear indeed that this is his book! It reads as though one were bellied up to the bar with Tom, being regaled with his tales from the road. The short vignettes fly by and his voice is quite distinctive. Hope he makes it back here sometime.

It's free on Kindle Unlimited--for the moment, at least!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I met up with Tom this past March in Florida for a chat on the beach at a cafe before covid closed them down.
I am really enjoying his book and his personality shines through in his writing style. You can pick it up or put it down as needed without losing focus as each story is it's own little mini chapter.

Felice

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
What is Amazon Whispernet? Do you need to be signed up to anything to use it?

Camino(s) past & future
CF Spring 2016
CF Autumn 2017
VdlP Spring 2021
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CPBJ3M1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Enjoyed.... But it didn't convince me to volunteer -- I just don't have the patience that those volunteers have to have!
I read Tom's (aka Don Thomas) book and LOVED it, (enough that I write a short review on Amazon). As I said in the review, it really captures the feel of the Camino that I experienced, the simplicity, the difficulties, the unexpected good things, and most of all, the wonderful people. I identified with many of the people, I laughed at some of the stories, and I teared up at some of the kindnesses.

He told me in an e-mail:
I never intended Finding Santiago to be a "how to" book, a guide book, a mediation guide, a help book for broken people, or a retelling of my one of my Caminos. It is what it is, a collection of stories I accumulated along the way. Some are funny, some are sad, others are just interesting.

And that is what resulted - a collection of Camino stories.
Buen Camino!
--james--

gschmidl

sator arepo tenet opera rotas
Camino(s) past & future
Kumano Kodo (11/2018), Camino Sanabres (4/2019)
What is Amazon Whispernet? Do you need to be signed up to anything to use it?

It's the technology that synchronizes how far you've read a book between Kindle, phone, tablet, web browser, desktop application, etc. All you need is an Amazon account and either a Kindle or the free Kindle app on any device.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)

Enjoyed.... But it didn't convince me to volunteer -- I just don't have the patience that those volunteers have to have!

Available in paperback and Kindle.
Hi @rappahannock_rev - thanks so much for alerting me to Tom’s book which I’ve just downloaded.
If the book is anything like his past posts here on the Forum it’s going to be a cracker of a read!
While writing I’d like to let you know how much I love your ‘signature’ - I know completely how you feel - I think about the Camino every day too.
Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hi @rappahannock_rev - thanks so much for alerting me to Tom’s book which I’ve just downloaded.
If the book is anything like his past posts here on the Forum it’s going to be a cracker of a read!
While writing I’d like to let you know how much I love your ‘signature’ - I know completely how you feel - I think about the Camino every day too.
Best wishes from Oz -
Jenny
I think about the Camino every day, too, Jenny.
I have loved Tom's book. It's just like talking to him in person which we both have done...he seems to almost literally jump off the pages!

wjohnk

Camino(s) past & future
Portugese Coastal (2019)
The book is also available from Amazon UK with much lower shipping costs (If you live in the UK).

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2018 (across Pyrenees, then Sarria to SdC), CF 2019 (SJPdP to Finisterra & Muxia), CI 2019
Ordered the paperback version today. Looking forward to reading it.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
I think about the Camino every day, too, Jenny.
I have loved Tom's book. It's just like talking to him in person which we both have done...he seems to almost literally jump off the pages!
Hi Chrissy - I’m feeling a lot of what you’re feeling about the Camino - what you’ve shared here on the Forum in recent months has really resonated with me. ❤🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️
I’m loving Tom’s book ... ‘stayed reading it way too late last night! His wonderful personality really shines out in the book and yes - just as I expected - it IS a cracker of a read!
Camino hugs from Oz -
Jenny

Camino(s) past & future
CF in sections 2019/2020
Whenever I long for the Camino, reading books about the Camino has always been the best antidote. So thanks for the head’s up, I have downloaded it on my KIndle:)

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola Everyone, especially Don Thomas. I recently finished reading his book "Finding Santiago". Despite his failure to count/include Australia in a list of inhabited continents and a few other errors I give this book four stars (🌟🌟🌟🌟). Now some will find the book not as interesting or funny as I found it, but that's your choice. I fully recommend it. Cheers
PS. I did advise Don T that I would be positing this review, but he has had no control over my review!!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I finished Tom's book "Finding Santiago", under the pen name, Don Thomas, (available on Amazon) awhile ago.
It is an account of many of the unique pilgrims he has met along the way on his numerous caminos and the stories of his interactions with them.
I have always walked with family members and although we meet other walkers and have befriended a few, I can see how walking alone, combined with a genuine interest in helping others, has opened doors for Tom that I have not been able to experience.
I was blessed to learn of his many kindnesses towards others and also how those relationships have enriched him as well. His deep love for Spain, the Camino, and the city of Santiago is brought to life in the interesting and often unique stories he shares.
Well done, Tom!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts