• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wellington Camino photo exhibition

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
I have just come across this notice for those in Wellington or near it. Too late for the opening night and talk by Archbishop John Dew, but there is a Camino photo exhibition that runs for a brief period until 28 February.
" The Walk of St James
You are warmly invited to the Opening Night of a Photographic Exhibition entitled, “Memories of a Pilgrimage – The Pilgrims’ Way to Santiago, First European Cultural Itinerary”, on Thursday 21st February 2013, at Sacred Heart Cathedral, Wellington.
The Exhibition is co-hosted by His Excellency D. Jesús Miguel Sanz, Ambassador of Spain, and Archbishop John Dew who will be speaking of his own pilgrimage in 2010, and sharing some of the highlights of that experience.
The Exhibition will run from 22-28 February 2013."

Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lovely exhibition of photos - it will also be going to Auckland. The opening night event was terrific with pipers outside and leading in, and the Archbishop's speech was very interesting - he walked the Camino in 2010, and others talked about their Camino experiences. There was also a well attended free filming of The Way on Friday night, with intros. We are talking to people about setting up a New Zealand Friends of Camino - so if anyone is interested in helping, let me know.
PS 1st September is the start date for me - from St Jean de Pied Port.

All th best Olive for your Camino. September will come around more quickly than you might think!
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Any idea when this will make it to Auckland? I'd definitely go along and have friends who would love to as well.

Thanks for posting Margaret. I happen to be in Wellington for work this week so I will make a point of going. I start my Camino early June from SJPdP. Tickets are booked, cant wait! Colene :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm at the exhibition right now. Wow! I managed to squeeze it in between my incoming flight and my meeting. Wish I could have heard the stories associated with the pictures. Bbeautiful exhibit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Really glad you could make it Fatwitch. Joe, I don't know- have only read about Wellington and Auckland.
Margaret

Where did you see info about the Auckland one? I emailed the Diocese today to see if they could give me Auckland dates and location - but you might be a better bet!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: Wellington Camino photo exhibition - Opening in Auckland

Hi
The exhibition will be opening in Auckland this week:
Exhibit of Camino de Santiago
Memories of a Pilgrimage
Presented by the Embassy of Spain,
this photographic exhibition can be viewed at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Liston Hall:
Wednesday 6 - Friday 8 March 11 am - 6 pm
Saturday 9 March 9 am - 12 pm
Sunday 10 March 11 am - 6 pm.

Just told the hubby we need to go and he pointed out that there are hundreds of great photos closer to home - right on our computer. What a spoilsport eh! He'd better have been joking.

Am I super-critical or did Auckland get a different exhibition?
There were perhaps 50 photos at the most, a third of which were of major European cities not in Spain. The photography was great, but the choice of photos did not produce a Camino-type experience. I expected to see the meseta, mountains, albergues, food, waymarkers, arrows, architecture. None of that (except for a few of Santiago Cathedral).
Unfortunately, it was a bit disappointing, and I will retract my recommendation to a few friends who are thinking of walking - it did not inspire in the least!
Probably the fact that the photos were huddled together and you could stand no further than half a metre away from them did not help either. They needed to be seen in a bigger space.
Sorry to sound so whinge-y! Our little Camino experience was wonderful and this did not cut it - although there was a picture of the tavern where we got ice for Tessa's broken arm!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Wellington Camino photo exhibition - and thoughts...

Alas, we might have had very different experiences. The way it was display in Wellington was very appropriate with the background of the Cathedral. I think there were about 56 photos, but they were not all of the Camino de Santiago. I was lucky to go on the opening night so got to meet and talk with some really interesting people, plus there were speeches from the Spanish ambassador, someone who had done a 2 different routes in Spain, and the Archbishop - who had also walked the Camino a couple of years ago. A lovely evening all round.

So - a thought here.....Given plans afoot to form a New Zealand Friends of the Camino..Maybe we could create our very own exhibition of top photos from Kiwis who have walked the Camino, and take it to major centres...Just an idea...Feedback welcome.

JL

Lise T said:
Hey

I got to see the exhibition as well.
I must admit I was surprised at all the pictures from Tuscany etc as well. I guess I needed to hear the story behind the photos and wondered if the person who took them walked from Rome.

I wondered the same.....until we got to the pictures in Slovenia...that would have been a very roundabout route.

I'm pleased it got you re-fired....back to the walking now eh!

As for the suggestion of putting together our own exhibition......totally possible I would think. We're not professional photographers, but some of our pics easily rivalled the ones on display today. And if we do it, let's use a map that has the Camino routes on it, instead of one that just has the northern coast of Spain;-) Our kids approached it eagerly to trace their route, and found a good portion of it missing!

This exhibition has recently been showing in Auckland at Liston Hall. I returned from the Camino in October 2012. I was really disappointed in this showing - beautiful pictures (mainly in Europe) :| but nothing of the heart and soul and the people of The Camino. This would have been a great opportunity to spread the word, but......

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.