• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We're off then!

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Finally found where to type... train today to Leon, start walking tomorrow, heading for Oviedo. Thanks to many posters, I have my phone filled with useful information. I have walked the Camino, virtually, thanks to Gunnar; I have followed discussions with requests to fill in details on dangerous spots... and now finally, the best teacher is about to kick into action! Ultreya!
(The title is borrowed from my favourite Camino book).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gunnar posted various interesting videos (Vimeo) a few years ago. I haven't seen any of his more recent exploits?

You will love it Kirkie. I did it last week over 4 days.
I had difficulty getting information in English, however it is seriously well sign-posted, that the info I did take was unused. The only difficulty I experienced was getting off the mountain in an upright position after relentless horizontal rain on day three into Campomanes.
Buen Camino
Davie

You will love it Kirkie. I did it last week over 4 days.
I had difficulty getting information in English, however it is seriously well sign-posted, that the info I did take was unused. The only difficulty I experienced was getting off the mountain in an upright position after relentless horizontal rain on day three into Campomanes.
Buen Camino
Davie
Thanks! In Leon, waiting for shop to open as forgot charger for phone. Walking companion has hers so not a disaster, Andy your comment is encouraging. Let's see. As they say where I live, tanx for all encouragement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, took the long way round and arrived shattered in La Robla. Excellent albergue, very nice chap, Andres, came to register us and gave sheets and pillow cover. Found a very nice lady in Restaurante Olimpia who rattled up a couple of pork steaks, chips and a fried egg with a simple fresh salad. Heading back to albergue to repack and be ready for a new day tomorrow. When it is all done will maybe get round to a more useful report. A beautiful first day, notwithstanding the eternal final kms. Hasta manana.

Standing at open window in bunk room of albergue in Pajares. Confession: yesterday the climb from Buiza was too much for me. The descent was beautiful but when I got to 1km this morning I had to say: take my sticks, see you in Pajares. Disappointed for me, but my walking companion is tripping the light fandango and will be here soon. Marisa, hospitalera here, una joya. Now a wee rest to compose mind and body for tomorrow. Ultreya!

Attachments

• IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Back in Pamplona. A very hard Camino, for me. No excuses, just hard. Nae puff, because I smoked for years. Also, according to a cheeky computer programme about health, I am obese. However, I am very happy with what I managed to do. And met some really lovely people, as ever. Maybe will get around to something more useful for others after I catch my breath. And am thinking of going for about five days on my own in a few days time. Watch this space, but don't hold your breath.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For many/most of us the Camino is tough physically especially in the beginning as our bodies are adjusting to the work of standing and walking for so many hours a day. I do hope it gets easier for you and soon.

Buen Camino to both of you.

I love the way responses are so encouraging! It was a hard but wonderful Camino. Plenty of material for reflection. I hope to have some days on an easier stretch, probably along the Camino Frances, to revisit the gift of the Salvador with its literal/metaphorical ups and downs. Now, a few days rest and then up and off, this time alone, but within easy reach of socorro should that be needed. So, till later, Buen camino, ultreya/ultreia....

Back in Pamplona. A very hard Camino, for me. No excuses, just hard. Nae puff, because I smoked for years. Also, according to a cheeky computer programme about health, I am obese. However, I am very happy with what I managed to do. And met some really lovely people, as ever. Maybe will get around to something more useful for others after I catch my breath. And am thinking of going for about five days on my own in a few days time. Watch this space, but don't hold your breath.
Oh, you're obese??? Whaaaa, that's grose...
And you smoke too??? You stink terribly...

But you've made it. Having a good time. Enjoying the route and company. That's what it is all about ;)

Congrats!!!

PS (I'm slightly overweighted and smoker too but still managed to put 10 different Caminos under my belt :p)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for congrats! I gave up smoking last November because I was tired of hearing my wheeze, and I wanted to give the Salvador a go. The wheeze is gone, but the damage to the amount of puff I have is done. Anyway, not to worry. Today, a new day. Feet still talking to me. Off to Irotz for a swim, and if my gammy knee stops acting up I will head off on a flattish section of CF for a few days.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back