• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Were the pilgrim tips or packing list from books useful?

CollinSK

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked French way in 2016
I mostly collected information from web sites by searching "camino de santiago" or some friends read books in advance. What was your case?

Example book: https://amzn.to/2UbdX1o
ir

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read a selection of different pilgrims books as well as this forum. Most of them repeated the same information and yes, it was generally useful. The most important message that was clearly transmitted was “keep the weight down”and “you don’t need as much as you think you do”. Some ideas on how to live with less were also useful in figuring quantities (eg three pairs of socks to ensure a dry pair every morning,)

Some things I wouldn’t have thought of like safety pins fortunately made it into my bag. And some helpful things made it into my bag because of reading forum discussions and just generally and obsessively shopping in outdoor gear stores. I had months to plan so each purchase was a delicious reminder that I would be going soon.

Everyone changes the content of their pack over the course of the journey-things that aren’t helpful get left behind. If you are forgetful like me, helpful things also get forgotten unintentionally. Stuff that isn’t working as well as something else could gets replaced. And some things develop an unusual importance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
S. Yates wrote a book about what to take and what not take. In hindsight many useful advise.

I learned what to take from reading the Forum and from talking with my wife, who was also a pilgrim. Useful advice was to wear low cut trail runners for shoes and good wool Sox with liners. Also, the admonition to not carry more than 10% of your body weight can be, I think, misleading. That rule should be understood to be an upper limit, not a recommendation that carrying that much weight is advisable. On the Camino, one finds abandoned clothing, equipment, and foot ware that were left behind pilgrims who were tired of carrying so much weight and “things” that they found they didn’t need. It is surprising how little is required to walk the Camino. And whatever one needs can usually be purchased at shops along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, the admonition to not carry more than 10% of your body weight can be, I think, misleading. That rule should be understood to be an upper limit,
I think that 10% should be a guideline, not an upper limit. A lot depends on your own weight. For example, a fit 120 pound woman can probably carry more than an out of shape 175 pound woman, who is already carrying excess body weight.

Initially, as I was planning to walk, this forum gave me all the info I needed and then actually walking the camino further refined my packing knowledge for future caminos.
I agree This forum is gigantic in terms of data base. 🥰

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I read a selection of different pilgrims books as well as this forum. Most of them repeated the same information and yes, it was generally useful. The most important message that was clearly transmitted was “keep the weight down”and “you don’t need as much as you think you do”. Some ideas on how to live with less were also useful in figuring quantities (eg three pairs of socks to ensure a dry pair every morning,)

Some things I wouldn’t have thought of like safety pins fortunately made it into my bag. And some helpful things made it into my bag because of reading forum discussions and just generally and obsessively shopping in outdoor gear stores. I had months to plan so each purchase was a delicious reminder that I would be going soon.

Everyone changes the content of their pack over the course of the journey-things that aren’t helpful get left behind. If you are forgetful like me, helpful things also get forgotten unintentionally. Stuff that isn’t working as well as something else could gets replaced. And some things develop an unusual importance.

Right. Simple is the best. I sometimes need a book or web site because too much information make me confused, too. :):):). Trials and errors seem to work by packing over and over 🥰🥰🥰

S. Yates wrote a book about what to take and what not take. In hindsight many useful advise.
Especially about the sarong. One thing I would NEVER leave behind.

But you can't know what you need as an individual until you've actually walked. That's when you can really begin pare thing s down to the bare minimum.

I've watched YouTube videos of other peoples' Caminos as well as AT/PCT/CDT hikes and taken a lot of hints from their suggestions and especially mistakes. I think that's where I've gotten 90% of my information about what gear to take, etc.

Last edited:
Especially about the sarong. One thing I would NEVER leave behind.

But you can't know what you need as an individual until you've actually walked. That's when you can really begin pare thing s down to the bare minimum.

I've watched YouTube videos of other peoples' Caminos as well as AT/PCT/CDT hikes and taken a lot of hints from their suggestions and especially mistakes. I think that's where I've gotten 90% of my information about what gear to take, etc.
Yes the Sarong is since forever a faithful companion on my travells. Curtain tent
-piece sun sail cover blanket dress shorts turban scarf. Make shift wound dressing. So instead of PJ evening dress sleeping back liners towel one pice of cloth. And it’s pretty too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is really so much free information now avaiable on this and other sites, including Gronze.com that one probably does not need books to do the various caminos.

There is really so much free information now avaiable on this and other sites, including Gronze.com that one probably does not need books to do the various caminos.

I gotta check Gronze.com, too. Yep. 21st century. Internet is a revolution~

Digital media is all fine and dandy, but I took some self made laminated mini map plus list of albergues with address , Emergency contacts with me. Your phone can run out of juice or land in water or no reception. So oldschool helps, plus map reading skills.🕵️‍♀️

I am a backpacker. So naturally I cut camping equipment, I like sleeping on beds. Most of my research I did on YouTube.

I believe we can have better sleep on beds unless bed bugs bother us like my cases. 3 times happened to me. 😥😥😥

I learned what to take from reading the Forum and from talking with my wife, who was also a pilgrim. Useful advice was to wear low cut trail runners for shoes and good wool Sox with liners. Also, the admonition to not carry more than 10% of your body weight can be, I think, misleading. That rule should be understood to be an upper limit, not a recommendation that carrying that much weight is advisable. On the Camino, one finds abandoned clothing, equipment, and foot ware that were left behind pilgrims who were tired of carrying so much weight and “things” that they found they didn’t need. It is surprising how little is required to walk the Camino. And whatever one needs can usually be purchased at shops along the way.

So true! We had too much in our bag and also too much in our mind. 🥰🥰🥰🤩🤩🤩

I didn't buy a guidebook prior to my Camino.
I read two forums, this and a german based, at that's it.

I combined the tips they offered and was very fine with it.
Personally I think actually you don't need a book anymore, if you have access to the internet.

I lowered the weight of my backpack down to 5.2kg w/o giving up some of my comforting extras. At the end of my Camino the b/p weight was 5.5kg (some extra medical products and a t-Shirt bought in SdC.)

I didn't buy a guidebook prior to my Camino.
I read two forums, this and a german based, at that's it.

I combined the tips they offered and was very fine with it.
Personally I think actually you don't need a book anymore, if you have access to the internet.

I lowered the weight of my backpack down to 5.2kg w/o giving up some of my comforting extras. At the end of my Camino the b/p weight was 5.5kg (some extra medical products and a t-Shirt bought in SdC.)

5.5 kg. Wow. My backpack weighed 10kg +-. I am pretty sure the lighter, the better. 🥰 🥰 🥰

I am surprised if you read that example book (by forum member @SYates) or any other book with Camino packing advice, and still carried that much! Did you not believe the advice or did you have special needs? 🤔

I am 65 kg (143 pound?). I bought a flight ticket to Pamplona on a Friday and left for Saint Jean on the coming Monday (3 days later)o_Oo_Oo_O. I should have prepared well. But my heart wanted to start the Camino right away🥰🥰🥰🤩🤩🤩. I was not ready but I learned how to pack day by day on the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should have prepared well. But my heart wanted to start the Camino right away

@CollinsSK, kia ora (greetings, good health)

Do you have a future Camino in mind, for when it will be possible.

And for that trip, would you care to post your pack list as you see it at the moment?

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@CollinsSK, kia ora (greetings, good health)

Do you have a future Camino in mind, for when it will be possible.

And for that trip, would you care to post your pack list as you see it at the moment?

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

I recommend

1) flip flops to cool down your feet and to use when you take a shower, e.g.) https://amzn.to/3bmX2Pf
2) ear plugs, e.g.) https://amzn.to/33HpE2T
3) and warm and welcoming heart to new friends.

I believe you can get other items on the way or your friends will help you to walk together😍😍😍

I suspect a lot has got lost in translation. My apologies.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

No problem. Haha. There could be a language barrier, but we have the same memories on the way to Santiago. This is more important🥰🥰🥰

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.