• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We're thinking of you, Florida

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Now, I am staring at Category 5, Hurricane Irma bearing down on me, here in South Florida, near Palm Beach. We are not in an evacuation zone, so we are being told to shelter-in-place. Yikes!:eek:
Here in South Florida, we have a very large and active APOC local chapter. It is located in Miami. THOSE FOLKS, are going to get hit much harder than we will, some 70 Km to the north. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
Everything should be over, but for recovery by Monday. Here's hoping...:oops:
Absolutely, Tom, and all the rest of you good people form Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.
You're in our hearts and prayers. Please do what you have to do to stay safe, and take care. May you be safe and protected from harm - and may storm preparations go smoothly.

@ivar, do we have any members from the areas where the storm has already hit with such force - Leeward Islands, Hispaniola, Cuba, or Puerto Rico? So many prayers for their safety and well-being, and for everyone now dealing with the effects of this monster.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you too all, worldwide, in my extended Camino family who are thinking of us, and praying that we all make it through without too much adversity.

Late yesterday we went to fetch my mother-in-law's 92-year old cousin who lives alone in a ground floor flat. She has no other friends or family nearby... so, needs must. While not in an evacuation zone, no one should be alone during this size storm. So, I am now running a storm shelter...:eek:

The Camino spirit, charity, and an absolute willingness to help, regardless, survives and spreads, even in adversity. It is perhaps the best and most profound takeaway from all my Camino experiences. thank you to all connected in any way with the Camino for this education and life-affirming experience.

Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming. All of us here in southern Florida sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Camino spirit, charity, and an absolute willingness to help, regardless, survives and spreads, even in adversity.
Especially in adversity. That's when we get to find out the the Camino spirit is actually the human spirit and that the camino just has a knack of bringing it to the surface.
May you all be well, and be safe.

Watching the news every hour. Friends lost their homes in St. Maarten and St. Croix. Waiting to see how it goes in Florida where I have friends and one of my pilgrims. My ex is in Georgia so we're also watching there. This is a stressful and rough time for the USA! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Late yesterday we went to fetch my mother-in-aw's 92-year old cousin who lives alone in a ground floor flat. She has no other friends or family nearby... so, needs must. While not in an evacuation zone, no one should be alone during this size storm. So, I am now running a storm shelter...:eek:
The Camino spirit, charity, and an absolute willingness to help, regardless, survives and spreads, even in adversity. It is perhaps the best and most profound takeaway from all my Camino experiences. thank you to all connected in any way with the Camino for this education and life-affirming experience.

Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming. All of us here in southern Florida sincerely appreciate it.
Good onya, Tom!

As promised, here is my post-Hurricane Irma report...

In the last 36-hours before landfall, the hurricane shifted direction and hit the west coast of Florida instead of the east coast, where I live. So, I guess all those prayers to Santiago helped. But, I did not intend for the other side of the state to take the brunt instead of us....ah the law of unintended consequences. Next time, I shall be more specific in my prayers...:eek:

The worst of the storm was gone by 6:00 pm on Sunday. Power went out at 1:00 pm and came back at 9:00 am Monday (20 hours). The internet just came back up at about 1:30 pm (24.5 hrs.). :)

Our home suffered NO damage. There was no flooding. We did lose a deciduous tree in the backyard that was torn in two, half-way up by the wind. We will have it entirely removed, and sod planted. Some of the shrubbery looks the worse for wear. But it will likely bounce back after a few days in the sun.;)

Monday dawned sunny and bright. I spent all morning picking up branches and sweeping the driveway and around the house. Now, if the cable TV would come back, life would be good!

This past Saturday and early on Sunday, before losing power, I had exchanged messages with "BiarritzDon" who lives in Naples. But he was closing up his flat (on the sixth floor) to work as a Red Cross volunteer inland, at Immoklalee, Florida. I presume that is where he is at present.

Some of my APOC chapter members live to the south, near Miami. There was more extensive storm surge and wind damage there, as they are much closer to the Florida Keys. At this time, I do not have more detailed information.

Time for a nap…

Thank you again for all the thoughts and prayers.,,they worked!

Tom

Great news for you and yours, Tom. We still pay for those not so lucky.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back