• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

West Highland Way: London Question

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Why is it so much easier for me to just go on Camino in Spain?

Getting my trip planned around England and Scotland has been a lot of work for me.

Currently, I have a question for those of you who travel or live in London. Is it easy to get to Heathrow from downtown London (city centre area)?

Anyone have a suggestion for a good London hotel for a few nights before an 11 AM flight out of Heathrow?

Thanks so much---

Deb

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it easy to get to Heathrow from downtown London (city centre area)?

Hi Deb, I usually stay at one of the budget hotels near Victoria Coach Station. Plenty of buses go from there to Heathrow. Otherwise, via the Tube (underground) the Piccadilly line goes to Heathrow. You need to know your sense of direction when using the tube in London, as there are “westbound” and “eastbound” lines, or “northbound” and “southbound”. So, for example, from Earls Court you would go “westbound” to Heathrow. The signs list all the stops, but when you’re being pushed from behind in the crowds, it’s easiest to know that you follow the “westbound” sign. Give yourself plenty of time to get to Heathrow as it’s a long way out, the traffic may be heavy or the trains delayed. Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Deb...google for Tune hotels...low budget but decent hotels. With or without rooms.
In different areas.
I prefer the one close to King's Cross.

For an inexpensive place to stay, check LSE's student residences, open to the public in summer:

http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/Home.aspx#sthash.g1f0GJmo.dpbs

I second that advice. I have stayed at several of their places and they were basic, but clean, centrally located and safe with very helpful staff. If you can spend a bit more then premier Inns are always good, but their prices have gone up recently, also you might want to look at www.pennclub.co.uk which is run by the Society of Friends and is more or less opposite Euston Station. As I live in Scotland don't hesitate to PM me Deb if you think I might be able to help. You do not say when you are travelling but if you need/want to stay in Edinburgh as part of the Scotland part of your journey I suggest the Gillis Centre www.gilliscentre.org.uk. It is a twenty minute walk from the centre but across the Meadows, a lovely green space. The price of a room includes breakfast. It is a former seminary, has a chapel and beautiful gardens for some peace away from the busy city. Also, I recommend travelling up to Scotland from London Euston mainline station by the Caledonian Sleeper service. Unless you pay the extra for a single ocupancy room you will probably have to share with one other person (the same sex) but the beds are comfortable, and the staff excellent, plus you save the cost of a hotel room and it can take you right to heart of the Highlands. Have a good trip but remember that Scotland is notorious for its midges - tiny but ferocious biting insects which can make life hell. Bring repellent.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As far as getting from Heathrow to central London, either take the Tube (Piccadilly line, dark blue) or take a local train to Paddington. Unless yo u want to pay $$ do not take the Heathrow Express!
Tube will cost around £6
Heathrow Connect around £10
Heathrow Express around £22
Airport bus around £6

For places to stay, look at hotels.com booking.com hotels4u.com or laterooms.com
I am a big fan of Travelodge and Premier Inn for good clean and comfortable rooms, generally fairly cheap around the country, though London prices can be quite high, depending on the day of the week. A lot of people from the US use Priceline for London hotels.
If you do decide to stay around Victoria, I like Cherry Court Hotel, though I've not stayed there for a couple of years and things may have changed.
http://www.cherrycourthotel.co.uk/

Any more questions, ask away.

For getting around in London, download the 'Citymapper' app. It's really worth it.
And don't forget Airbnb for finding accommodation. I've just down a search in London Heathrow vicinity and it gives a range of places for different prices ( starting around 30€ a night - sorry my app is based in France so gives me euro not sterling unless I change it), from a room in someone's home to a private flat....

Suzanne :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I have to stay overnight in London the night before I fly home, I usually stay at the Ibis hotel right near the airport. City buses close to the airport are free (which is a very cool thing!), or there is a shuttle from the hotel to the airport (which I think is about 4 pounds). Or a cab is about 10 pounds. Or it is close enough to walk! There are a lot of hotels in that same area. Staying close to the airport will make the morning of your flight much less stressy.

My husband has been walking National Trails annually for the past 5-6 years and likes flying into Manchester instead of Heathrow. I play "booking agent" finding places/options for him to contact for stays. You're right, not as easy as a Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Deb, I don't know if you have all your UK travels organised but if you are still looking I would suggest using MACs Travel Company.I used them for the West Highland Way a couple of years ago and they were great. They are based in Glasgow. They seem to have enough contacts to get around the issue of limited accommodation as in Glencoe. We walked part of the WHW with friends who were booking independently.There accommodation was not as good and no cheaper.
For cheap accommodation in Scotland try the Scottish Youth Hostel Association SYHA There is a similar organisation in the rest of the UK. The Hostels are all high quality whereas some of the independents can be iffy. Oh and you don't have to be a"youth" to use them :)

About flying in to LHR. I usually avoid going into London If I am doing an onward journey in the UK and in a hurry I pay BA their exorbatant costs to fly to Glasgow or where ever. Otherwise I take the bus from HEATHROW CENTRAL BUS STATION to my destination eg Bristol OR I take the INTER AIRPORT BUS to Gatwick (2hrs good service) and fly wherever I want on Easyjet
As Mia 1 said the airport hotels are reasonable prices - IBIS, PREMIER INN etc. I stay there if I need to catch an early flight out of LHR.

Hi Deb, I don't know if you have all your UK travels organised but if you are still looking I would suggest using MACs Travel Company.I used them for the West Highland Way a couple of years ago and they were great. They are based in Glasgow. They seem to have enough contacts to get around the issue of limited accommodation as in Glencoe. We walked part of the WHW with friends who were booking independently.There accommodation was not as good and no cheaper.
For cheap accommodation in Scotland try the Scottish Youth Hostel Association SYHA There is a similar organisation in the rest of the UK. The Hostels are all high quality whereas some of the independents can be iffy. Oh and you don't have to be a"youth" to use them :)

About flying in to LHR. I usually avoid going into London If I am doing an onward journey in the UK and in a hurry I pay BA their exorbatant costs to fly to Glasgow or where ever. Otherwise I take the bus from HEATHROW CENTRAL BUS STATION to my destination eg Bristol OR I take the INTER AIRPORT BUS to Gatwick (2hrs good service) and fly wherever I want on Easyjet
As Mia 1 said the airport hotels are reasonable prices - IBIS, PREMIER INN etc. I stay there if I need to catch an early flight out of LHR.
I did use Mac Adventures for booking my b and b's along the WHW! It is so much easier....

It's been a while since I visited London - still the greatest city in the world! -- and my favorite place there has closed, alas. The Globetrotter Inn was great.

But if you're Scotland-bound you must visit Edinburgh, and for several days. Not optional! And in Edinburgh, if you can deal with the alberges along the Camino, then you can deal with the Castle Rock Hostel. I recommend it.

Never did the WHW. Sounds fun. But if I go back to the UK I'll probably do the Thames Path, instead.

Btw, did you do the Camino with Mac? Were you satisfied with their arrangements?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stayed in Edinburgh after meeting a Camino friend travelling in from Amsterdam. During August Edinburgh is an enjoyable riot of people and sounds, but it was good to stay in the tranquil, beautiful environment of the Gillis Centre just a walk across The Meadows. The rooms are excellent, the staff welcoming and so helpful, and the breakfast is available from 5am for those who want to make an early start. This is a great place, although after posting this recommendation I will probably never be able to stay there again because it will be booked up by forum members travelling in Scotland.

Of course there is no way of getting away from Camino de Santiago pilgrims, and on the morning we were leaving we met an american woman who had walked the Way from SJPDP to SDC and was planning to walk the Portuguese soon.

Hello Deb. I live in London. The tube (Piccadilly Line) is cheap and easy but can be extremely crowded. It also takes ages and has 3 stations covering the 5 different airport terminals so can be confusing: allow plenty of time and be sure to know your terminal before getting on the train. Not all trains go to all terminals so you may need to change. For an 11am flight I would leave central London no later than 8am.

I do not advise staying right by any of the major stations in central London as the traffic noise from the Euston Road and in the area of Victoria is awful and continues 24/7. I second the Penn Club - it is great if you are on your own as it has a communal breakfast table and reading room, near enough to Euston to walk, but quiet. Near lots of interesting things, and you can get the tube to the airport from Russell Square nearby. If you can't get availability there, I would use Google Street View to get an idea of how busy the road is before booking any hotel. All parts of Central London are very much 24 hour busy and if you are staying several days the noise level could make or break your enjoyment.

I also highly recommend the Caledonian Sleeper, it is literally the best thing ever. You enter Scotland at Euston Station! Tartan carpets, a LOUNGE CAR like something off Agatha Christie, whisky, shortbreads with your tea, soft fluffy white duvets and a lovely steward who asks you when you would like to be rrrrrrrrroused in the morrrrrrrrning. You need to book well ahead.

Have a lovely time..

Last edited:
Oh couple more things...

I would register for the Travel Alerts service. London's transportation system is pushed to the limit, and any problem tends to have repercussions beyond the immediate area, that can persist for hours. On my short commute in the last two weeks, there have been severe delays due to a strike, planned engineering, a sinkhole appearing (yes really!), and someone leaning their head out of a train and being killed. If you don't want to miss a flight you need to check a couple of times in the morning before setting out, and have an alternative route planned.

Euston has a left luggage, if you arrive early and want to sightsee before getting the sleeper. But check the closing times - it's not 24h.

Also note that London is on a permanent high alert for terrorism, so don't be alarmed if you see police with machine guns or sniffer dogs at stations or airports, it won't be anything 'specific' to worry about.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.